Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seriously, I am not grievously offending you !

Options
  • 13-08-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Was on the M6 the other night and came upon a car in the outside lane with nothing to the left of it.

I patiently waited and waited and waited before putting my indicator on hoping to get noticed. After quite a while I finally decided to flash the offender.

They did pull over but this girl basically went berserk in the drivers seat.
    I first got the internationally understood wanker sign and then had her flashing her lights and blowing the horn. She then attempted to come up behind me and start flashing at me ( I was overtaking a line at the time proving she had no idea why I had flashed her in the first place).

What is it with people, do they think you have grievously offended them by flashing them out of the way ?

Sorry, I have opened threads on this before, I just don't get it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Maybe she owned the Merc you robbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

She prefers the fast lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

I had an ex years ago that was lovely, dedicated a lot of her time to charity and helped anyone and everyon.

Put her behind the wheel and she completely flipped. People not going as fast as she was got a fierce surprise and she would push her little 1 litre corsa as far as she could up their ass'.
    Not a care in the world for other drivers, felt in risk of my life whenever I had no choice but to take a lift off her.

I genuinely dumped her over her driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Irish drivers always seem to be offended if you flash them in such circumstances.

On the continent, being flashed on the motorway just means that someone is asking you to move over. Nothing offending in it.

This might be linked probably, that for some reason Irish drivers tend to use flash to offend someone (f.e. if an idiot overtakes you in dangerous manner, you flash on him).
    I didn't see such thing anywhere on the continent, that's why no one associates flashing with offending.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

She was an a$$hole.

/end thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A lot of adults are essentially overgrown children. I've seen grown men want to get out of the car and fight after some perceived slight on the road. Hell, i've seen people say it here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I come across this a lot but 99% of the time the flash of lights to get their attention + flick of the right indicator seems to work.. about 10% will pull back into the overtaking lane after you pass though.

This will be unpopular, but when car comes tearing past me on the motorway these days (which is fairly rare admittedly :)), it'll almost always be driven by a 20-40 year old woman in a hatchback pushing 150 km/h+ .. don't know what it is, but I've noticed this more and more in the last 2/3 years.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    This will be unpopular, but when car comes tearing past me on the motorway these days (which is fairly rare admittedly :)), it'll almost always be driven by a 20-40 year old woman in a hatchback pushing 150 km/h+ .. don't know what it is, but I've noticed this more and more in the last 2/3 years.
    Funny you should say that, and it's far from conclusive proof, but I have noticed that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Anan1 wrote: »
    A lot of adults are essentially overgrown children. I've seen grown men want to get out of the car and fight after some perceived slight on the road. Hell, i've seen people say it here. :D

I had a guy get out of his 91 reg DL 5-series and attempt to headbutt me after I had the audacity - the cheek no less - of overtaking his precious 'ultimate drivers car' in Galway traffic.........

....probably 'cos I was on Vespa PX125.

But hey, it's not my fault a Vespa is the pinnacle of traffic avoidance......... :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I had a guy get out of his 91 reg DL 5-series and attempt to headbutt me after I had the audacity - the cheek no less - of overtaking his precious 'ultimate drivers car' in Galway traffic.........
    It takes a special kind of person to try to headbutt a man wearing a motorcycle helmet! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Happened to me on the M8 Sunday evening. Flashed a Focus as there was no discernible reason it should've been in the right lane. On with the indicator, flash again before the Focus slow drifts into the driving lane.
    Passed her out(yes, 20-30, blonde), only to see her straight back out into the fast lane behind me.
    What is their reasoning? Beats me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's an aged problem at this stage.

Sit behind them and you're making them nervous. Flash them and you're bullying them. Undertake and you're breaking the law.

Bonnet mounted bazooka's or just small EMP's would be quite handy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Ditto fare evaders on the Green luas line. Weird.

As for the OP, I don't get why anyone would be slighted at someone wanting to go faster.

Personally, I never want to be the fastest car on the road...

Let some other schmo become hairdryer bait...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

MugMugs wrote: »
    It's an aged problem at this stage.

Sit behind them and you're making them nervous. Flash them and you're bullying them. Undertake and you're breaking the law.

Bonnet mounted bazooka's or just small EMP's would be quite handy. :D

Cow catchers....

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I was in the overtaking lane on Saturday morning, doing almost 20kmh over the speed limit and went passed an A4 in the middle lane. Apparently this was just awful and i needed to be flashed at, have the middle finger waved by both the driver and his wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I was in the overtaking lane on Saturday morning, doing almost 20kmh over the speed limit and went passed an A4 in the middle lane. Apparently this was just awful and i needed to be flashed at, have the middle finger waved by both the driver and his wife.

If the Audi could undertake you in the middle lane there was no need for you to be in the overtaking lane.

I think you got what you deserved tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

If the Audi could undertake you in the middle lane there was no need for you to be in the overtaking lane.

I thought the OP meant he passed the Audi no? But his grammar is very unclear alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

But he had just overtaken the Audi that was in the middle lane.

Theoretically, everybody could undertake everybody that overtakes them.

Going by that, we should never overtake :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

The standard of Irish driving on the Motorway is just shocking. I will go out on a limb and say 90% of Irish drivers HAVENT a clue regarding Motorway driving.

tin79 wrote: »
    I thought the OP meant he passed the Audi no? But his grammar is very unclear alright.

OK - I read it wrong so.

• Advertisement

The standard of Irish driving on the Motorway is just shocking. I will go out on a limb and say 90% of Irish drivers HAVENT a clue regarding Motorway driving.

A lot of people don't have a clue about percentages either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

A lot of people don't have a clue about percentages either.

Sure 79% of all statistics are made up, that's like a quarter...... *cough

Moving on, people that drive on the outside lane when no one is in the left lane is a c*nt. Simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I would disagree with this on quiet stretches of motorway, such as cork/limerick to dublin. The etiquette and knowledge is actually quite good.

Its when traffic gets busy that people start getting lazy, not returning to the driving lane, sitting in the middle lane etc. Basically when you get in and around Dubland :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i've just done over 1000km's this weekend here and in the UK and i have to say if i flashed someone to move over in the UK 9 out of 10 times you got a wave of apology and moved over instantly, whereas here you are ignored berated if you flash them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I did about 3000 Kms in France in the last month. The lane discipline of the french was outstanding. They overtook other cars and promptly returned to the driving lane.

Only twice did I come across drivers in the overtaking lane not returning to the driving lane. Both were Irish cars:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I used to be aggressive behind the wheel ,when anyone pulled out in front of me cutting me off I would flash my lights and practically stand on the horn calling them all the names in the world. It took years but I now figure that it is pointless, as the only one who was suffering was me. People make mistakes and should not be abused for it, and when they think that they are in the right no matter how many times you flash them you will not convince them otherwise.
    As for driving standards ,they will not change until the Garda enforce the rules of the road. However I do not see this happening as they are been encouraged to only target the usual offenses such as speeding.
    Things about poor driving standards I hate, no or incorrect indicator usage ,Lane discipline and having to be the car in front at all times ( how many times has someone over taken you and slowed right down only forcing you to pass them out ,and then the process is then repeated).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i was on the UK M6 today in heavy traffic.....almost everyone was using the correct lane, so refreshing.....irish drivers are incompetant and pig ignorant (except the ones on this forum of course...)

veetwin wrote: »
    I did about 3000 Kms in France in the last month. The lane discipline of the french was outstanding. They overtook other cars and promptly returned to the driving lane.

I'd agree.
    There also seems to be very few 'crazies'.
    I'd always notice the amount of these crazies increase significantly when you crossed the border into Spain.
    Too many drivers doing inappropriately fast speeds IMO on the motorway network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

When I was on my way home from the match on Sunday I passed a golf reversing back down the hard shoulder of the motorway because they had missed their exit...this in my book is unforgivable...absolute insanity :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Quote frankly I don't care what other idiots do on the roads

If they want to overtake me nearly killing themselves then let them. Im not beeping or flashing. ...

People cutting me off or overtaking me I simply couldn't give a sh.ite .. Go on and see ye later.

And if you're doing 80 in the overtaking Lane I'll find a way around you and leave that magic bubble your in alone because it's probably saferfor eeveryone to not make them angry and not think straight etc.

Advertisement