Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seriously, I am not grievously offending you !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Indeed. All flashing each other, politely of course.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iwannahurl
    Does this scenario seem plausible? You're driving on a motorway at or just below the speed limit. There is traffic up ahead moving at a slower speed so you move to the overtaking lane. Unfortunately up ahead you find three or four more vehicles in the overtaking lane travelling at less than the speed limit. You can't pass, but then up behind you comes somebody travelling in excess of the speed limit. Now you're in their way. Then somebody appears behind them travelling far faster than the speed limit...

Missed your post earlier. It happens all the time. But it doesn't require that each car is exceeding the limit by more than the car in front. One car can hold up a bunch of cars that are all travelling at the legal speed, or indeed above that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

DubTony wrote: »
    This is interesting. If there are 4 or 5 cars in the overtaking lane and room to move in, (typical of middle lane hoggers here) who's the hogger? Is it just the first car, or is it all of them? The guy in the second car doesn't think it's him as he can't get past the hogger. The guy in the third car wants to get past both of them. The guy in car 4 ... you get the picture.
    For me it's the first guy. But a mate says it's all of them.

Its the first car in my view as its not only hogging a lane but being a rolling road block.

If the first car moved over then they could all pass and return to correct lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I don't know about other countries but in Poland even when You learn to drive You can land on motorway, so therefore You can learn the proper behavior on it. I think that could be the reason of so many issues on Irish motorways.
    I'm not sure how its now after the change of the exams etc but previously the only thing test would check would be driving in the city which is totally different then driving on motorway. Simple as that, bum someones passes the exam and straight away they can go on motorway without proper basic rules or behaviors over there.

This is interesting. If there are 4 or 5 cars in the overtaking lane and room to move in, (typical of middle lane hoggers here) who's the hogger? Is it just the first car, or is it all of them? The guy in the second car doesn't think it's him as he can't get past the hogger. The guy in the third car wants to get past both of them. The guy in car 4 ... you get the picture.

Its the first car in my view as its not only hogging a lane but being a rolling road block.

If the first car moved over then they could all pass and return to correct lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

yoshiktk wrote: »
    I don't know about other countries but in Poland even when You learn to drive You can land on motorway, so therefore You can learn the proper behavior on it. I think that could be the reason of so many issues on Irish motorways.

If the standard of instruction doesn't improve it won't make any difference. Just yesterday I found myself behind a learner under instruction. The guy made 2 left turns without indicating. I think his instructor was doing her nails. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

If the standard of instruction doesn't improve it won't make any difference. Just yesterday I found myself behind a learner under instruction. The guy made 2 left turns without indicating. I think his instructor was doing her nails. :rolleyes:
    Indicators are for tiny man :rolleyes: Real man just go and turn.
    The list of sins is to great to repair it in next few years without a massive change in exams etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Is it a uniquely Irish trait to get pissed off when someone flashes you? Period, as they say in the States.

Flashing or horn-blowing, pretty much, yes. I've been in cities that are a constant cacophony of horns (Saigon springs to mind) and no one gets upset. It's just a way of letting people know "I'm here, please bear this in mind before you do anything".

What annoys me here more than the terminally oblivious, is the car you come up behind and have slowed to match speed with that moves over just as you have reached their speed. They're just cnuts! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yeah in Ireland and also in Britain blowing the horn is seen as an angry gesture at all times only.

Even a friendly toot to a passer by can result in the car ahead of you reacting by going into a sulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I routinely see driving school cars, with the instructor only on board, doing stuff that is either illegal or would fail a learner driver when doing their test. ADI-registered instructors driving up on footpaths to park is a particular bugbear of mine.

Ditto with enforcement, I suggest. I regularly see Garda patrol cars going through roundabouts without indicating, for example, or going way above the speed limit without "blues and twos" on etc.

• Advertisement

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Ive travelled all over the world and genuinely haven't witnessed any sort of aggression or annoyance when flashing someone to move over. In Europe especially it is seen for what it is with no insults associated.

Flashing someone to move over or flashing for any other reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

visual wrote: »

Of course the second car is in a better position to encourage the first car to move over than the cars behind, which to my mind makes them part of the problem if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Flashing someone to move over or flashing for any other reason?

Depends where, Amsterdam in particular is very open to all kinds of flashing.

Ive travelled all over the world and genuinely haven't witnessed any sort of aggression or annoyance when flashing someone to move over. In Europe especially it is seen for what it is with no insults associated.

Depends where, Amsterdam in particular is very open to all kinds of flashing.

True, but are you suggesting that elsewhere in the world motorists only flash their headlights when they want you to move aside so that they can overtake?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Police racing to a genuine emergency taking the time to slow down in order to "hurl abuse"?

You really are a tit and I gladly accept time off for saying this.

You really are a tit and I gladly accept time off for saying this.

Thanks for the mammary. :)

Do elaborate though, on the earlier comment regarding an alleged incident where Gardai, supposedly on the way to an emergency, found it necessary to slow down in order to hurl abuse.
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    I saw some fool on the M50 one day oblivious to the squad car with lights blazing and horn blaring behind her as they tried to get past and she camped out in the outside lane. They undertook her - slowed to hurl abuse out the window and carried on their way to whatever emergency.

The silly cow finally got the message, but what hope for the rest of us till they legalize Bren guns on cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

How hard are these rules to enforce? I see a lot of the behaviour described on this thread pretty much every time I go on our motorways. All it would need is a car or two going up and down a couple of the major the motorways all day pulling people over and giving tickets. It can't be that expensive in the grand scheme of things. It'd probably pay for itself if they were giving out fines.

Maybe they just prefer to hurl abuse like some others do?

Because they did not have time to pull her over and write her some tickets I guess. You would advocate giving her a medal for slow driving, of course.
    Once saw an ambulance held up at a junction because a woman (of course) in a Micra (of course) would not budge from the lights despite ambulance sitting one meter behind her, lights, sirens, horn tooting and flashing at her.
    Of course they rolled down the window and called her every name in the book on the way past, people are not robots, they will sometimes give in and call the other person the appropriate names and long may it continue.

Because they did not have time to pull her over and write her some tickets I guess. You would advocate giving her a medal for slow driving, of course.
    Once saw an ambulance held up at a junction because a woman (of course) in a Micra (of course) would not budge from the lights despite ambulance sitting one meter behind her, lights, sirens, horn tooting and flashing at her.
    Of course they rolled down the window and called her every name in the book on the way past, people are not robots, they will sometimes give in and call the other person the appropriate names and long may it continue.

Hmmm, except seconds count in emergencies. Or so we're told.

If they were rushing to a real emergency, and concentrating on their professional task, I doubt they'd have either the time or the inclination to slow down and hurl abuse at anyone. The incident, if it occurred as described, sounds to me like an idiot driver and obnoxious Garda patrol that deserved each other.

What's wrong with the Garda driver continuing to rush to the alleged emergency without delay, leaving one of his colleagues to note the offender's reg number for later issuing of a Fixed Penalty Notice or whatever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭creedp

If they were rushing to a real emergency, and concentrating on their professional task, I doubt they'd have time to hurl abuse at anyone. The incident, if it occurred as described, sounds to me like an idiot driver and obnoxious Garda patrol that deserved each other.

Don't worry because the driver unecessarily [and illegally] held up the cop car, the person was dead anyway at that stage and the perpertrator had absconded with the booty ........

If they were rushing to a real emergency, and concentrating on their professional task, I doubt they'd have either the time or the inclination to slow down and hurl abuse at anyone. The incident, if it occurred as described, sounds to me like an idiot driver and obnoxious Garda patrol that deserved each other.

What's wrong with the Garda driver continuing to rush to the alleged emergency without delay, leaving one of his colleagues to note the offender's reg number for later issuing of a Fixed Penalty Notice or whatever?

Maybe the colleague was busy talking on the phone/radio to write down/give out important details?
    And they usually get too scuffed up if they jump out whilst driving...

Maybe the colleague was busy talking on the phone/radio to write down/give out important details?
    And they usually get too scuffed up if they jump out whilst driving...

Or maybe they just thought hurling abuse was easier, or just more fun, than doing their job by, say, fining a motorist for delaying them while on their way to a real emergency. What about ANPR, btw?

Or maybe they just thought hurling abuse was easier, or just more fun, than doing their job by, say, fining a motorist for delaying them while on their way to a real emergency. What about ANPR, btw?

I don't know about ANPR, this is Ireland, there may as well have been a potato mounted on the dash.
    Gards have discretion, they can chose to write you a ticket and they can chose to let you know that you're doing something wrong but not write you a ticket.
    I do however think that they do the former not enough, because they'd rather go to Centra than to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I don't know about ANPR, this is Ireland, there may as well have been a potato mounted on the dash..........

I do however think that they do the former not enough, because they'd rather go to Centra than to court.

And you called him a tit? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Firstly, I said it happened, it happened.
    Secondly, if they had to have simply undertook her she would have been oblivious to what she had done and would most probably still be in the outside lane today ( with you and the other retards for company I suspect ).

If a Garda car with lights and sirens didn't get her attention, they had to let her know she was doing something wrong somehow.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Firstly, I said it happened, it happened.
    Secondly, if they had to have simply undertook her she would have been oblivious to what she had done and would most probably still be in the outside lane today ( with you and the other retards for company I suspect ).

If a Garda car with lights and sirens didn't get her attention, they had to let her know she was doing something wrong somehow.

If lights and sirens couldn't shift her out of hogging the overtaking lane what hope is there for a regular motorist being able to proceed with a quick flash of the lights.

Its not a uncommon occurrence to see emergency services being delayed by those who just won't give way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

visual wrote: »
    If lights and sirens couldn't shift her out of hogging the overtaking lane what hope is there for a regular motorist being able to proceed with a quick flash of the lights.

Well, I sometimes try the quick flash for the people who are just daydreaming, but the really determined fast-lane driver will ignore it, so I just pass on the left.

Oh no! Call the Inquisition!

In other news, i just got a nice letter from the RSA telling me that my only points ever have expired, and I am back to zero.

Well, I sometimes try the quick flash for the people who are just daydreaming, but the really determined fast-lane driver will ignore it, so I just pass on the left.

Oh no! Call the Inquisition!

In other news, i just got a nice letter from the RSA telling me that my only points ever have expired, and I am back to zero.

Good news on the points back to zero.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

My feelings exactly, I really much prefer not to have to deal with the aggravation. If they really don't want to move I'll zip past them on the left and be on my merry way.

Way I see it sooner or later someone will deal with the lanehoggers, usually some lunatic in an Audi or BMW who must be terribly late for a meeting who will make it abundantly clear (hopefully) that the outside (not I didn't say fast) lane of the motorway is not the best place to be applying makeup, talking on the phone, having a quick **** or contemplating your sins.

Advertisement