Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys how big is the box it comes in? Will it fit in a backpack? I'm getting it delivered to work but I'm on a motorbike. Is it huge? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

It's pretty big. Fitting it in a backpack would be pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

who_me wrote: »
    Well, the box supports some functions via IR, you can certainly turn the box on, change channels, browse the menus etc. using an IR remote. I have the a Harmony 1100 and it's what I use almost exclusively now. It's not bad, but it's a pity they couldn't add support for just a few additional buttons (Info, Live TV etc.)

I wonder if the scrolling problems in the EPG are related to the remote?

The qwerty keyboard on the reverse is handy though for searches.

Mine is not a Harmony. I can't even 'learn' from it. It also does not have a code to add my AV receiver to it instead of the TV. I'd be happy I suppose if I could use it to control volume, on/off and source select.

Has anyone been able to configure their remote to work with an amp/receiver/home cinema kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

I ordered this today im on the thompson 150m and its a flyer hardwired but the wireless range is crap on it i hope i made the right choice getting this box reading through here makes me think ive made the wrong choice..........

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

rommy wrote: »
    I ordered this today im on the thompson 150m and its a flyer hardwired but the wireless range is crap on it i hope i made the right choice getting this box reading through here makes me think ive made the wrong choice..........

Don't worry, I was on the 150 same as yourself and was worried about the wireless.
    It has been flawlesss since I got it a week ago, in fact wireless signal is better upstairs. Mind you my house the walls aren't solid concrete but its been great so far,zero issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys how big is the box it comes in? Will it fit in a backpack? I'm getting it delivered to work but I'm on a motorbike. Is it huge? Thanks

About 4 pizza boxes stacked on top of each other</highly unscientific>

Well, fixed my Wifi issues by doing a factory reset on the Horizon box. My Mac suddenly stopped picking up the Wifi network, if I turned Wifi off and on again it would see the network for a second before it disappeared again. It could see other networks ok, and other devices could connect to the Horizon, but the Mac & Horizon wouldn't work together even after restarting both.

This post has been deleted.

Worth mentioning - the Horizon router seems to have the 'good neighbour' functionality built in.

I.e. if you have the 20/40MHz channels turned on (for the additional speed) in the 2.4GHz band, there's a greater likelihood of interference. If the Horizon box detects interference, it'll disable the 40MHz mode to prevent it. You may be able to get around this by trying different channels, but in my case it worked one day and not the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Wireless signal on mine seems slightly better range than on my Cisco.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I ordered mine today, delivery tomorrow. I just got a text from DPD saying I need to give back my existing box. Is this correct? What if I don't have it? I don't have the original box etc, can I just chuck it in a bag? What did u guys do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

They mean UPC digital box surely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

I ordered mine today, delivery tomorrow. I just got a text from DPD saying I need to give back my existing box. Is this correct? What if I don't have it? I don't have the original box etc, can I just chuck it in a bag? What did u guys do?

Hahahahahaha

They're talking about the actual device!

Haha yes of course I know its the device - sorry badly explained - but do they absolutely have to have it back? Do I just hand it to the delivery guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Haha yes of course I know its the device - sorry badly explained - but do they absolutely have to have it back? Do I just hand it to the delivery guy?

Just hand him the box, he wont take remote or any cables or the old router or any of that, just the digital box. Well thats what the guy did when he got mine.

If you dont you will end up getting charged about €150

Mine arrived today and got it set up.

The HD is great etc but the UI is pretty awful.

Where to start?

In the menu (which is ****) the name of the station is not clear, it's shown by icons.

When I select a program in the menu I need to press select twice to actually see it.

Then after I view my program I have that stupid info bar that I can't get rid of straight away (like I could do by pressing BACK on the old system), I need to wait 5 seconds for it to disappear.

Why can't I browse channels when watching one, do I really need to go back to the main menu each time?

The whole thing is just real clunky and slow.

Thumbs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

quarryman wrote: »

Why can't I browse channels when watching one, do I really need to go back to the main menu each time?

The whole thing is just real clunky and slow.

First part: Try pressing and holding the up or down buttons for 3 seconds while watching a station, it will scroll through the channels.

Second; Its WAAAAAAAY faster than the old cisco box

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Blazer wrote: »
    Anyone have another modem bridged upto this?
    I currently have the standard upc modem with another router bridged to it and my NAS connected to it.
    With the standard modem I was able to allow port forwarding etc to allow me to connect to my NAS outside...does the horizon box allow this?

anyone?:(

Meesared wrote: »
    Try pressing and holding the up or down buttons for 3 seconds while watching a station, it will scroll through the channels.

Thanks. Tried that. And it's still infuriating.

When you are in scroll mode it seems you need to press 'Up' to go down through the stations and 'Down' to go up. This would be ok if it was consistent but it's the exact opposite to how it works in the main menu.

Who designs this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

anyone?:(
    Anyone have another modem bridged upto this?
    I currently have the standard upc modem with another router bridged to it and my NAS connected to it.
    With the standard modem I was able to allow port forwarding etc to allow me to connect to my NAS outside...does the horizon box allow this?

In a word yes you can set up port forwarding as in old router, bear in mind horizion box uses a wierd ip 192.168.192.1 so make sure if you add a router make sure its on the same network. Box access is admin admin

• Advertisement

The critical points mentioned are all valid, but its beds the question, they've been working on this for year and years - how in the world are they still getting some of the basic fundamentals so bloody wrong?

Surely they would have done loads of testing before launching this. Don't they realise if something does not work quickly and smooth - people will still hate or not use it? Especially after getting it so wrong before, the old guide was practically unusable. You'd think they'd make it as good as sky...

Will it update and get better perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

was seriously thinking about upgrading to horizon as I'm out of contract in 4 months but now think I'll switch to Sky for the tv and just keep UPC for broadband.
    There seems to be too many issues for the interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Handed mine back this morning and also my wireless router. Dpd guy hada bag for them. He didn't want the cables etc, just the actual hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭nakano3153

The critical points mentioned are all valid, but its beds the question, they've been working on this for year and years - how in the world are they still getting some of the basic fundamentals so bloody wrong?

Surely they would have done loads of testing before launching this. Don't they realise if something does not work quickly and smooth - people will still hate or not use it? Especially after getting it so wrong before, the old guide was practically unusable. You'd think they'd make it as good as sky...

Will it update and get better perhaps?

As a tester that gave extensive feedback on the UI and the basic design flaws, I had hoped and expected they would overhaul the software. Nothing has happened yet, and I no longer expect any rethinking on the part of UPC. I'm not surprised that the appeal of the shiny new interface wears off when people get infuriated trying to use the most basic of functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I have the current HD box which is a PITA to use compared to the Sky equivalent.
    Is there any point in bothering to get Horizon or is there no improvement at all?

sweetie wrote: »
    I have the current HD box which is a PITA to use compared to the Sky equivalent.
    Is there any point in bothering to get Horizon or is there no improvement at all?

IMO, there's a huge improvement. Looks better, is faster. People who complain about the Horizon EPG must not have had the Cisco box beforehand, as it's comparing Lamborghinis and tractors*. It could still be a lot faster, but it's a massive improvement on the Cisco box.

(* yes, I know Lamborghini made tractors.)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

It will most likely be updated. No UI changes were made during the trial.....so I can only hope and assume they're working on the suggestions from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Can I jump in and ask a question?

Ordered the Horizon Essentials Bundle through DID website the other day and after a bit of chasing them down they finally sent the order through to UPC a little while ago. Got the email from UPC a few minutes ago and it has us down for self install and no handset provided (which I kind of assumed we would be given but anyway).

So we're in rented accommodation and there's an old NTL box behind the TV, I have no idea if it works or what. But I was expecting we would need a technician to install the Horizon box seeing as we're new customers with no current cable package? Or do UPC have information on their end that lets them see the connection to our house is up to date and that self install should be no problem?

Sorry for sounding like an idiot :)

So I got a text today saying my delivery would come at between 1.30 to 3.30. I left the old digibox in my workreception and told them to accept the package and give back the old one. I was on the phone but had a missed call from a private number. I got the voicemail a few minutes later, it was the driver saying "I'm here to deliver your package - but I need to pick up the old unit, and since you have not answered the phone - you won't be getting your delivery today". What a croc of sh1t - he did not even come into the building to try to get me - I could have been in reception in 2 minutes. I'll pick it up at the depot tomorrow but still, I'm annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

So I got a text today saying my delivery would come at between 1.30 to 3.30. I left the old digibox in my workreception and told them to accept the package and give back the old one. I was on the phone but had a missed call from a private number. I got the voicemail a few minutes later, it was the driver saying "I'm here to deliver your package - but I need to pick up the old unit, and since you have not answered the phone - you won't be getting your delivery today". What a croc of sh1t - he did not even come into the building to try to get me - I could have been in reception in 2 minutes. I'll pick it up at the depot tomorrow but still, I'm annoyed.
    DPD Wasnt it?

Advertisement