Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Yeah will look at this during week see what they say. Not paying to upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GerardMambu

At around 5:25pm, I noticed that BBC2 and BBC2HD don't show the same program , how weird is that , first time I see that ...
    Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

At around 5:25pm, I noticed that BBC2 and BBC2HD don't show the same program , how weird is that , first time I see that ...
    Anyone else?

At present BBC 2 HD is the English version of the channel which sometimes shows different programmes or programmes at different times then the NI version of BBC 2. This afternoon for instance BBC 2 HD stayed with the English version of Final Score while BBC 2 NI switched to the Northern Ireland version. A NI version of BBC 2 HD is expected to launch next year, which I assume we will then get. This is why BBC 2 HD is currently on channel 140 and not 109.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 GerardMambu

Flip Flop wrote: »
    At present BBC 2 HD is the English version of the channel which sometimes shows different programmes or programmes at different times then the NI version of BBC 2. This afternoon for instance BBC 2 HD stayed with the English version of Final Score while BBC 2 NI switched to the Northern Ireland version. A NI version of BBC 2 HD is expected to launch next year, which I assume we will then get. This is why BBC 2 HD is currently on channel 140 and not 109.

Thanks Flip Flop for your explanation , now that makes sense ... :)

Thanks Flip Flop for your explanation , now that makes sense ... :)

Your welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Tried the wired speed test, its still only showing around 30mb which is my old speed. No where near to be supposed 100mb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Tried the wired speed test, its still only showing around 30mb which is my old speed. No where near to be supposed 100mb :(

Pull out the plug for a few seconds and plug it back in, usually works when i get shíte speeds

Apart from the broadband speed issue I am quite impressed with the box. Definitely lot better than the old box. A little niggle here and there but so far so good. It will take a while to get used to the navigation etc. Tried boxsets, youtube and dailymotion videos, all works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

coldfire1x wrote: »
    No where near to be supposed 100mb :(
    Mine is supposed to be 150MB

When I use speedtest.net now on Wifi..

18MB! I didn't expect that.. but it doesn't feel slow.. at the moment!

A few nights ago it was at 3MB when I checked.

23MB on UPC's speed test.

That's two laptops, two iPhones and one Smart TV.. nothing downloading anywhere.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Pull out the plug for a few seconds and plug it back in, usually works when i get shíte speeds

Already tried that, didnt help. Pulled out the power cable and also UPC cable from the box, restarted after about 5 min but no improvement.

Totally agree, its still no where near the Sky box experience but to me it's improvement from the old UPC box. Although UPC are spot on on one of the promises on their tv ads... removes clutter :p I took out splitters, old router cables etc. Looks lot cleaner at the back of telly :)

The HD channels look nice but not impressed with their numbering. They seem to all over the place.

Yes I noticed something weird about the pause and play, it happened to me as well. I thought I was doing something wrong, will give it a try again.

Guess what I gave UPC a call about 15 min back. Dont know what she did but when I tested connected through wire it's showing me download speed to 154mb even though I am only on 100mb. :P Tested quite a few times and its still the same :D

On wifi I was only getting around 30mb so she asked me to change the wifi channel to 6. After that I am getting over 90mb. I guess wireless will always be a bit slower than the wired.

That was happening with my Horizon box as well. I switched the box off and switched it back on again and that seemed to fix it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hey guys, I have some basic questions here - I hope you can shed some light on for me :)

1. I'm currently on the 50mb tv & phone deal for €75 or so. Do I get to upgrade to 100mb for the same price basically?
    2.Will they send me a box for free (or have others paid the €45 fee?) Do they have to take back my current tv box and wireless modem? Can I get it sent to work?
    3.What is the EPG like? Is it fast? I never use the current TV Guide as its just way to slow. Is there any lag? I had a quick look online and its seems very flashy - over animated etc, but does it work well?
    4. I have a WDTV for playing movie files on my pc via the shared folders on the network - will this do the same thing? Do I have to do anything special to set it up? What is twonky and how does that work? Is the box Wireless N?
    5. Is the series record good? I found the current one sometimes gets confused or gets it wrong.
    6. Can you watch tv no a laptp in another room over wifi like Sky go - how does that work?
    7. Can you log on online or on your phone to access the menu and get your box to record stuff?

Any help appreciated - thanks

1. I'm currently on the 50mb tv & phone deal for €75 or so. Do I get to upgrade to 100mb for the same price basically?
    Yes you can. I got it for €73 for 100mb one. €80 for the 150mb package.

2.Will they send me a box for free (or have others paid the €45 fee?) Do they have to take back my current tv box and wireless modem? Can I get it sent to work?
    They charge €45 for the box and activation but if you are out of contract give loyalty dept a call and haggle. They will waive the 45 fee. Yes you have to give back the current tv box. Yes you can send it to work. Basically its delivered by DPD, they can deliver anywhere and your chosen day.

3.What is the EPG like? Is it fast? I never use the current TV Guide as its just way to slow. Is there any lag? I had a quick look online and its seems very flashy - over animated etc, but does it work well?
    Bit of lag is still there but to me its lot better than the old box. Still not comparable to sky in term of speed but its getting better.

4. I have a WDTV for playing movie files on my pc via the shared folders on the network - will this do the same thing? Do I have to do anything special to set it up? What is twonky and how does that work? Is the box Wireless N?
    I also use WDTV. Your current setup will work fine. Connect your pc and WDTV to wifi and it will be the same. Yet to try out twonky, not sure about it. I think its wireless N but not 100% sure.

5. Is the series record good? I found the current one sometimes gets confused or gets it wrong.
    Yet to try out series record, only got it yesterday. You can record upto 4 programs at a time.

6. Can you watch tv no a laptp in another room over wifi like Sky go - how does that work?
    You can watch tv on laptop even without the new horizon box. Use this link https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/
    Logon with your upc username / password and watch. The catch is - you need to be connected to UPC broadband. Unlike sky it doenst work on say mobile network.

7. Can you log on online or on your phone to access the menu and get your box to record stuff?
    Again, you can do this on your old box as well. https://tv-guide.upc.ie/TV/
    Lick on any program to schedule recording but you cant schedule a series link recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

I'm only getting between 2 & 5mbps on my wireless on my laptop, but have got 60mbps when it's connected to the ethernet cable. Previously I had been getting over 50mbps on wifi with the old modem.

No real issues with my iphone or ipad, have got over 30mbps on both so not sure why my laptop is so slow. Have messed about with all the settings by logging into 192.168.192.1 but it makes no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

dalkiadave wrote: »
    If your nas drive is accessed by your laptop you can use twonky to add to the folders available to horizion box and stream via the laptop

Thanks, yes i can see all the files from the NAS in windows.

Is the horizon box not a media server in its own right? the code is based on version 9.11 of xbmc (or was).
    Don't really want to install Twonky on my PC but by the sounds of it their is no other way.

can you install twonky on tablets also? would the UPC licence work on both?

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

ciaran75 wrote: »

Is the horizon box not a media server in its own right? the code is based on version 9.11 of xbmc (or was).
    Don't really want to install Twonky on my PC but by the sounds of it their is no other way.

Cheers,

I have twonkey mobile on a galaxy tab 2 doesnt need a license, some people have had luck getting their nas drive read by horizion box but I was never able to, when i got the box to see it, it locked up so have been using via laptop. Not an issue just means laptop has to be on

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DrDrago

Hey guys, does anyone know if there is anywhere in Cork City that demos the Horizon tv box?

My girlfriend's dad is using Sky and would like to try out Horizon before making any purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

ciaran75 wrote: »

Cheers,

Nas is hit and miss.

If you dont like Twonky, DivX works well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

On the speeds, yeah. That's something I noticed the first day I switched from DSL to cable (UPC) - speeds are all over the place. Screaming fast one minute, slows to a crawl the next. My old ISP (Smart Telecom) was far, far better in that regard.

On the Live pause - that's something I used to see a lot on the old UPC box. I haven't noticed it yet on the Horizon. Weird that a bug like that would carry through. For me, it seemed to happen more often if something is left paused for a while - could it be a capacity (either hard disk, or software limit) thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

An Tarbh wrote: »
    I'm only getting between 2 & 5mbps on my wireless on my laptop, but have got 60mbps when it's connected to the ethernet cable. Previously I had been getting over 50mbps on wifi with the old modem.

No real issues with my iphone or ipad, have got over 30mbps on both so not sure why my laptop is so slow. Have messed about with all the settings by logging into 192.168.192.1 but it makes no difference.

But how good is the wireless network card on your computer?

For example mine is only capable of 30mbps download regardless of the plan I am on.

DrDrago wrote: »
    Hey guys, does anyone know if there is anywhere in Cork City that demos the Horizon tv box?

My girlfriend's dad is using Sky and would like to try out Horizon before making any purchase.

Is there a Harvey Normans near?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DrDrago

Is there a Harvey Normans near?

There is! I'll phone them to see if they have it, thanks.

I'm watching a live stream on my computer. How do I connect that stream to my Horizon Box?

Surely once there is a connection between the devices this is possible?

Any 'techy' guys out there that can shed some light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Nope, no such feature on the Horizon.

With a Mac & an AppleTV you can share your screen, with the Chrome browser and the Chromecast dongle you can do likewise. It'd be a great feature to include..

Advertisement