Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Anyone having Issues with the remote? Mine wont work unless you press the "lock" button first, And then You have to press the lock for everything, Vol, Tv, Power, Ect
    Any help ??

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Ok. So I've have Horizon TV for a little over a week now and have formed a few early opinions of the service.

But first I should say I moved from Sky HD to Horizon so that's my frame of reference. Further, I've used a few different media streamers over the years and have settled on the Boxee Box - so I know how a "next gen" interface should behave.

Right - I have to say up front that my experience to date has been extremely disappointing and offer this piece of advice to Sky HD customers - don't move. Certainly not yet.

The interface is certainly flashier than Sky's but it's more complex and cumbersome. It's unpleasant to use. Devices like the Boxee or Apple TV bask in the magnificence of their simplicity. Same with XMBC. Sure, their content is mixed dependent on the individual's geek levels to milk them fully but the design of their interfaces are leagues ahead. Samsung bough Boxee out recently. I wonder where that will take their interface design.

Content is also king. Sky offers more channels, more HD channels, more on-demand content and much larger storage. But this post is not meant to be about Sky.

The remote is poorly thought out too and uncomfortable in the hand. By trial and error and with some advice from another boardie, I acquired a Logitech Harmony Touch remote and use that now as my primary remote. The keyboard on the back has yet to find a use given my usage habits. The reason for the new remote is it allows me to control the volume of my AV amp and the Horizon box with the same device. The Horizon remote does not offer enough support for AV equipment.

The box itself is flaky. Every day it needs a hard reboot as it locks up from overnight idle. Then last night I got a HDMI 2040 error messege. Another restart and it was OK again.

MKV payback is patchy. Files containing a stereo or DD5.1 soundtrack will be fine. Files with DTS or a higher definition sound track will not playback. Files with both will default to whatever it can play. Otherwise no volume. No support for subtitles wrapped in your MKV - not that I can find. Better off with an alternate product really for streaming I think.

Apps are pretty much useless othe than for reference. Youtube is the best of them really. That said, a guy in Carphone warehouse whispered to me that they plan to integrate Android and the Google Play Store app support in the next major release next Feb!?!

If UPC really wanted to change the game and compete with Sky they should have given us the one device to rule them all. A device with a pretty GUI, the same ability to record 4 while watching another, a device with lots of storage options and a device that people would line up in droves for.

The should have given us TiVo Roamio.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Horrocksjm

The info on UPC's site about the new Horizon service includes a brief mention of being able to use the Guide on your iPad to change channel on your TV. It mentions needing a Horizon TV Remote App to do this, but there is nothing called that in the App Store.

Anyone know anything more about this?

if you search in the apple app store for UPC, there is an app called upc horizon remote and it will indeed make your ipad or iphone function as a remote! I have put my remoyte away in a drawer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I'm not sold on the iOS remote. It's too cluttered on the iPhone (you have to look at it since there's no tactile feel from the buttons, then look up at the TV to see what's on the screen.) On the iPad it's a bit better, but not everyone wants to have something that big for controlling the TV.

They could support gestures, but you'd never support enough for all the functionality. Plus, it's weird that you have to watch a streaming channel while in the landscape view.

Changing the channel (the one that's being shown on the iOS screen) via the left-side scrollers is awkward, as if you stop scrolling for a second it selects that channel.

The guide is very handy, though in my experience it often doesn't load properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

An update to my post above. I forgot to add that I'm having a lot of dropouts with my Sonos system since moving to Horizon. I have a Sonos Bridge connecting via ethernet right into the Horizon box. Previously it was patched into the UPC supplied Cisco router. I've not had a chance to mess about with it all and figure it out but it's not the Sonos system itself - it creates its own mesh network and worked perfectly up until Horizon arrived - need to mess about with channels....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 WantedChaos

I have the box the whole day and i keep getting error 1090,help!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Apologies if this has been asked before, is there a "page down" function when you're browsing the guide as there was on the old UPC box? Really annoying having to scroll through each individual channel...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before, is there a "page down" function when you're browsing the guide as there was on the old UPC box? Really annoying having to scroll through each individual channel...

Short answer "NO":(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

dalkiadave wrote: »
    Short answer "NO":(

Thats crazy, surely thats the most basic functionality. Its so frustrating scrolling through them individually.....

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Thats crazy, surely thats the most basic functionality. Its so frustrating scrolling through them individually.....

Had this box for months now and was one of the big gripes, they needed to get the basic functionality of the box right before adding the bells and whistles. But does anyone listen?????:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

An update to my post above. I forgot to add that I'm having a lot of dropouts with my Sonos system since moving to Horizon. I have a Sonos Bridge connecting via ethernet right into the Horizon box. Previously it was patched into the UPC supplied Cisco router. I've not had a chance to mess about with it all and figure it out but it's not the Sonos system itself - it creates its own mesh network and worked perfectly up until Horizon arrived - need to mess about with channels....

Same symptoms as the issues I am having with Apple Airport..
    If you get any where to resolving it by configuring the channels, let me know..I had a big of a tinker, but nothing..
    UPC aren't getting it -- The view is "Airport is not something we support".. Uh Huh..

Bistoman wrote: »
    Anyone having Issues with the remote? Mine wont work unless you press the "lock" button first, And then You have to press the lock for everything, Vol, Tv, Power, Ect
    Any help ??
    OK issue solved, Low battery power.
    Looks like the qwerty remote eats the battery's. I have the remote since it first came out, about 3 months so that's not great. The Box may be low power but the remote,s not .

Also is anyone having broadband issues? I have a new laptop with Windows 8 and cant get more than 35 mb, I'm supposed to be on 150 mb.
    An engineer came out and checked His laptop with win 7 and got 145, But I cant get anyware near this, Any Help / Suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

OK issue solved, Low battery power.
    Looks like the qwerty remote eats the battery's. I have the remote since it first came out, about 3 months so that's not great. The Box may be low power but the remote,s not .

Also is anyone having broadband issues? I have a new laptop with Windows 8 and cant get more than 35 mb, I'm supposed to be on 150 mb.
    An engineer came out and checked His laptop with win 7 and got 145, But I cant get anyware near this, Any Help / Suggestions??

I'm in the same boat and I reckon it's my laptop. I get 35Mb wireless, 85Mb wired, while my work laptop on XP get 75Mb wireless and 153Mb wired. I've tried Windows 7 on the laptop with much the same results (35 & 85) so it's not Windows 8 or the Horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

To get above 85 MB Wired as in get above 100mb your PC OR Laptop must have 10/100/1000 Ethernet connection as in gigabit Ethernet
    also make sure your using a cat5e or better a cat6 cable

If you PC or Laptop has 10/100 Ethernet connection you will only get a max 85mb if your using cat5e cable

Wireless all devices using your broadband must be 802.11 n wireless 2.4 GHz
    average speed will be 65mb-75mb and if no interference you might get 90mb

If any device is 802.11 g all wireless N devices been used will be reduced to G speed with average been 25mb-40mb max

If you have 100mb or 150mb package you will only get that speed using a wired connection if your PC or Laptop has Gigabit Ethernet connection

You will never get Wireless speed of 100mb or 150mb wireless unless you have a 5 GHz wireless connection using 40mhz range

Horizon does not use the 5 GHz radio its disabled and even if was enabled your wireless device would have to have 5GHz wireless

paulboland wrote: »
    To get above 85 MB Wired as in get above 100mb your PC OR Laptop must have 10/100/1000 Ethernet connection as in gigabit Ethernet
    also make sure your using a cat5e or better a cat6 cable

If you PC or Laptop has 10/100 Ethernet connection you will only get a max 85mb if your using cat5e cable

Wireless all devices using your broadband must be 802.11 n wireless 2.4 GHz
    average speed will be 65mb-75mb and if no interference you might get 90mb

If any device is 802.11 g all wireless N devices been used will be reduced to G speed with average been 25mb-40mb max

If you have 100mb or 150mb package you will only get that speed using a wired connection if your PC or Laptop has Gigabit Ethernet connection

You will never get Wireless speed of 100mb or 150mb wireless unless you have a 5 GHz wireless connection using 40mhz range

Horizon does not use the 5 GHz radio its disabled and even if was enabled your wireless device would have to have 5GHz wireless

Thanks for the info, But please forgive the stupid question, How do I find out how much download my laptop is capable of? Using windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Thanks for the info, But please forgive the stupid question, How do I find out how much download my laptop is capable of? Using windows 8.

Network and Sharing Center
    Connections wired
    Local area connection click it
    speed should show 1.0 Gbps
    you have a 1 gbps Ethernet connection on your pc you need this for 100mb or 150mb

Connections wired
    Local area connection click it
    speed
    If it shows 100 Mbit/s you only have 10/100 fast Ethernet will be no good for 100mb or 150mb

Wireless network connection if speed says 54Mbps you have wireless g
    Wireless network connection if speed says 144 or 130 or 300 you have wireless n

Note even if your laptop is wireless n
    if another device like playstation 3 connected wireless as its wireless g
    or a mobile phone is using wireless g is connected any wireless g device and been used same time
    your speed on laptop with wireless n will be wireless g speed in doing a speed test

Note doing a wired speed test will not be affected if a wireless g device is been used
    only affects when doing a wireless speed test

Test speed Wired connection with no wireless been used
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

Then test wireless connection with no wired connection been used

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

So the technician came earlier and changed the wall tap, Horizon installed ok. Only thing is, every so often the screen goes green/pink for about 10 seconds before reverting back to normal. If it makes any difference, the TV is a Philips (serial no. 16843009). Any ideas?

9621273855_d507630f90_z.jpg

Cocolola wrote: »
    So the technician came earlier and changed the wall tap, Horizon installed ok. Only thing is, every so often the screen goes green/pink for about 10 seconds before reverting back to normal. If it makes any difference, the TV is a Philips (serial no. 16843009). Any ideas?

9621273855_d507630f90_z.jpg

Apparently there is a known issue with Philips TVs and horizion
    Taken from previous post

"even upc know of it "

http://vragen.upc.nl/app/answers/det...rizon-mediabox (use chrome to translate)

http://forum.upclive.nl/thread.jspa?threadID=7950

i found a list last night that had about 40 or so philips models that had compatibility issues

Taken from previous post

"even upc know of it "

i found a list last night that had about 40 or so philips models that had compatibility issues

Ah feck :(

Taken from previous post

"even upc know of it "

I have had a similar problem, Just put it down to a dodgy HDMI, I think I'll have to have a chat with them in the morning, I have been on the trial for months now and have had numerous technicians in My house, None of them told Me there might be a problem with Phillips TV's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Cocolola wrote: »

One of my friend was having similar issue, the colour on the telly was going funny very often.

He changed the following:

Setting -> Audio / Video Setting -> Video -> Video Setting -> TV Colour output -> Change it from Automatic to RGB.

Try it, it may work out for you as well.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    One of my friend was having similar issue, the colour on the telly was going funny very often.

He changed the following:

Setting -> Audio / Video Setting -> Video -> Video Setting -> TV Colour output -> Change it from Automatic to RGB.

Try it, it may work out for you as well.

Cheers for that. I fiddled around with the HDMI cable earlier and it hasn't happened since but I'll try this too.

EDIT:
    Also while I'm here, went to set a recording on Horizon.tv and it gave me this message:

"Make sure your box is on and connected. If there is already a recording scheduled for this time on your box do you want to overwrite the previously scheduled recording?"

I thought the whole thing with Horizon is that you can record 4 programmes at once? Or am I reading that message completely wrong?

Ok folks trying to watch horizon tv online on laptop, keep getting message install widevinevideo wont install and no tv loading any ideas?????
    Eventually got it working, but could not install widevine so output too laggy to watch.???

Ok folks trying to watch horizon tv online on laptop, keep getting message install widevinevideo wont install and no tv loading any ideas?????
    Eventually got it working, but could not install widevine so output too laggy to watch.???

I used it on windows vista and it worked OK, With windows 8 I think i had to de a reboot to get it to work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Taken from previous post

"even upc know of it "

Once upon a time, Phillips used to own part of UPC - its what the "P" originally stood for. Worrying if they have issues with the main TV manufacturer in their native Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

Is anyone else with the sound being out of sync with the picture at times. Ours is very bad on hd channels . Usually leaving the channel and goung back to it sorts it out but can take 4 or 5 attempts.

Also happens in recordings if you pause it and restart it then it us out of sync and you have to come out of it and restart where you left off.

Very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

When you set some channels to favourites how do you access them quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

wush06 wrote: »
    When you set some channels to favourites how do you access them quickly.
    They're the first channels listed in your guide.
    There's a star before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tiosabas

I have two questions if anyone can help?
    If I connect my old Thompson to the Horizon box it will spit out WIFI but there is no connectivity from the Thompson LAN ports. Is this normal? Do I need to pay UPC for an extra modem connection? I ask because I want LAN ports upstairs, not at the TV. I have a second UPC wall box upstairs.

Cant get the Apple TV to stream content from the MAC. The Apple TV has internet connectivity but wont stream over the internal Wifi. It worked perfectly on the Thompson. Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

On question 1: How are you connecting your Thomson to the horizon box????
    On question 2: There seems to be an issue with Apple TV and horizon box, previous posters have stated the same issue and UPC have said they dont support Apple TV issues!

Advertisement