Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

This post has been deleted.

This is normal. When in standby for 10 mins or so it does a maintainance. It will then soft roboot (internet stays up) and you will see the welcome screen and the bars going accross the front. The fans will also ramp up briefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 derek4567

has anybody got problems bbc1hd bbc2 hd skyhd not syncronising with sound or is just my horizon box

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CianOC1982

derek4567 wrote: »
    has anybody got problems bbc1hd bbc2 hd skyhd not syncronising with sound or is just my horizon box

I'm having same problem, not with sky though but with rte aswell. Sometimes I have no picture at all or it keeps freezing and skipping

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I got the remote working with my tv for on/off and volume - but later it stops working. If I repeat the process it will work again, but this is pretty dam annoying.

I'm making a list of things I don't like about it so i can write to UPC (and I would normally never ever bother to complain to a company). Anyone want to throw their 2 cents in of what they do not like about Horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Zascar wrote: »
    I got the remote working with my tv for on/off and volume - but later it stops working. If I repeat the process it will work again, but this is pretty dam annoying.

I'm making a list of things I don't like about it so i can write to UPC (and I would normally never ever bother to complain to a company). Anyone want to throw their 2 cents in of what they do not like about Horizon?

After it was working, did you save the setting? If you dont save then it will not register with the remote. If you dont do the step 5 below the tv keys will stop working after few seconds.

1. Switch ON the TV.
    2. Press the VOL- button followed by the SOURCE button and have these both pressed down for 5 seconds until the TV ON/OFF button flashes twice.
    3. Enter the TV brand code (see quick guide) for your TV using the number keys within 10 seconds.
    4. To verify the connection, aim the remote control at the TV and keep the TV ON/OFF key pressed until the TV switches off. This may take up to 1 minute.
    5. To acknowledge, press both the VOL – button and the SOURCE button for 5 seconds until the TV ON/OFF button flashes twice.
    6. You can now turn your TV off and on with the TV button and turn your Horizon TV HD+ box with BOX button.

Source: http://www.upc.ie/horizontv/remote/

I paired once, I have no such problem, it works fine. If you have already done the step 5 then try resetting your remote and then follow the steps again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Has anyone managed to successfully get Airport Express working with their new Horizon Box.
    Everything working perfectly before, now Airport device will not stay visible / connected..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

dandyo wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to successfully get Airport Express working with their new Horizon Box.
    Everything working perfectly before, now Airport device will not stay visible / connected..

What happens - does it disappear immediately?

I don't have an AE, but I noticed weird behaviour with my MacbookPro where it sees the network and then disappears, only started happening recently too. I wonder if there's some Apple-specific problem after being introduced.

In my case, a factory reset of the Horizon box worked (keeping all settings, so you don't lose anything other than several minutes of your time).

who_me wrote: »
    What happens - does it disappear immediately?

I don't have an AE, but I noticed weird behaviour with my MacbookPro where it sees the network and then disappears, only started happening recently too. I wonder if there's some Apple-specific problem after being introduced.

In my case, a factory reset of the Horizon box worked (keeping all settings, so you don't lose anything other than several minutes of your time).

It works for 10 or so minutes then drops off, and is no longer visible..
    It also upset my Apple TV, had to set that up again, but that appears to be fine (for the time being anyway)
    The real frustration is that it works..if it was firewall or rule based, it would be a hard stop..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 karlgibs

My Airport Express also does the same thing. I have tried to set it up to bridge and also as a standalone with, dhcp and fixed IP. Everything seems to work and then an hour or so later it will just stop and not be visible anymore.

As a side note I had UPC engineers our 3 times to my house trying to fix different things with the horizon box. I was only getting around 40mb on cable and 5 mb on wireless. I turned off wireless on the horizon box set up my airport extreme again and straight away got 100mb on wireless.

karlgibs wrote: »
    My Airport Express also does the same thing. I have tried to set it up to bridge and also as a standalone with, dhcp and fixed IP. Everything seems to work and then an hour or so later it will just stop and not be visible anymore.

As a side note I had UPC engineers our 3 times to my house trying to fix different things with the horizon box. I was only getting around 40mb on cable and 5 mb on wireless. I turned off wireless on the horizon box set up my airport extreme again and straight away got 100mb on wireless.

Thanks Karlgibs..very interesting
    I have UPC engineers coming tomorrow to fix my multiroom..and have a list waiting of other things

Wasn't a great experience moving to Horizion

1) Multi-room not working
    2) XBox no authentication
    3) Airport not working
    4) Download @ 20 Mbps max

Hopefully teething problems but remain to be convinced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 karlgibs

If you can I would certainly test with another wireless router. The last thing the engineer told me was that the reason I was getting poor speed test results was because I was using Chrome and not IE. Seriously... Needless to say when I switched to my Extreme and tested again in Chrome it went from 5-10mb to 100mb. The router in the horizon box just seems very poor. I get a double NAT when using my own router but other than that it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Aw, got my Horizon box today and was all excited. Got error 1001, check cables. Called the support line and the guy said our wall box is probably too old (it's a dirty looking NTL one) and the earliest technician is Thursday 29th :( Gah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Cocolola wrote: »
    Aw, got my Horizon box today and was all excited. Got error 1001, check cables. Called the support line and the guy said our wall box is probably too old (it's a dirty looking NTL one) and the earliest technician is Thursday 29th :( Gah.

That's just not good enough - several people seem to have had similar problems.

If people are doing self-installs, there should be a check-list to ensure your existing installation is up to scratch. If it's a technician install, he shouldn't leave until he confirms it's working.

Getting the box and being left for a few days with no service just gives an awful first - and lingering - impression.

who_me wrote: »
    That's just not good enough - several people seem to have had similar problems.

If people are doing self-installs, there should be a check-list to ensure your existing installation is up to scratch. If it's a technician install, he shouldn't leave until he confirms it's working.

Getting the box and being left for a few days with no service just gives an awful first - and lingering - impression.

I just mentioned it, sort of, over on a thread I have in the Talk To forum. The thing is I wouldn't mind so much except when we got the order email confirmation, we saw we were down for self install so when we called them to give the direct debit details we said that we have an old box and that we didn't think it would work and could we get a technician install but the lady just kept saying self install is easy and to call the support number if needs be. She didn't want to listen.

Anyway, not much we can do now except wait while the shiny new box mocks us from under the TV :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

karlgibs wrote: »
    The last thing the engineer told me was that the reason I was getting poor speed test results was because I was using Chrome and not IE.

jiFfM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Got the Horizon box today and getting wireless speeds of 1.7mb download from a 150mb connection. Box downstairs PC upstairs less than 10 feet as the crow flies (the bb certainly isn't:) Changed wireless channels on box, but a constant 2 bars :( Worse then the Cisco box and its happening on multiple devices. Any ideas

I know I'm dragging this thread off topic but I asked the UPC Reps about an hour ago if they could give me our account number to set up My UPC, and after supplying our address our standard channels (the Saorview ones) started breaking up and then went completely. The coax cable comes in from the old NTL box straight into the TV. Is this just a weird coincidence or have they done something to the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

coincidence

:o Ya I thought so, knew I was going mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

settings-recordings-used disk space

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lee1234

omerin wrote: »
    Got the Horizon box today and getting wireless speeds of 1.7mb download from a 150mb connection. Box downstairs PC upstairs less than 10 feet as the crow flies (the bb certainly isn't:) Changed wireless channels on box, but a constant 2 bars :( Worse then the Cisco box and its happening on multiple devices. Any ideas

Having this same problem all day, fixed it by accessing the router and changing the wifi settings to 802.11g only and 20hz. I think some computers (even new ones like mine) cant handle the 802.11n properly.

Bear in mind this will limit your dowload speed to about 20 - 25mbs but even with 150mbs on 802.11n your realistic speed on wifi wouldnt be much over 40 so its not a bad fix i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

is Horizon meant to be available to everyone with a current UPC broadband/TV setup?

My wife arranged to upgrade but her appointment was cancelled and she was told it wasn't available in our area which left me a bit confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I dont get what you are trying to do?

My network home videos will populate if you have shared videos using a dlna server like twonky and you have turned on scanning for media on your horizon box. Create or joing home network has nothing to do with this setup so Im confused as to what youre doing..

If you have over 1000 files don't turn on scanning for media in media network setup
    You will end up having your horizon box freeze
    and will have to do a factory reset and don't keep any settings

This is from the Horizon user manual

Horizon’s DLNA functionality is currently limited. If

you possess a large number of photos, videos or audio

content, the box may freeze or respond very slowly. We

recommend you use a LAN cable to connect Horizon to

your home network or else use fewer than 1,000 files.

If your box exhibits problems despite that, we recommend

restoring Horizon’s factory settings and forgoing

use of the media playback function from the home

network for the time being.

We are working with our technology partners to extend

the number of compatible formats and improve the

cataloguing of media content from the home network.

You don't need to do a scan to playback videos
    You use My Library to play back videos music
    My devices
    Twonky Server
    Windows Media Player
    Other devices that are DLNA certified
    Video
    Music
    Photo
    Use folders search is best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/support/product-overview/horizon/

http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/support/instructions/horizon/#topspot_fullwidth_tabs_2

Useful Horizon support that's better than UPC Ireland website

It gives much better information on horizon and its features and support to solve any problems you may have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

McG wrote: »
    is Horizon meant to be available to everyone with a current UPC broadband/TV setup?

My wife arranged to upgrade but her appointment was cancelled and she was told it wasn't available in our area which left me a bit confused.
    You need to be in an area that supports On Demand AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Seagull1

I have a sky hd and sports HD package for 10 euro extra, Does this still carry over to Horizon.

Thanks in advance.

~ Seagull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Seagull1 wrote: »
    I have a HD package for 10 euro extra those this still carry over to Horizon.

Thanks in advance.

~ Seagull.
    HD is included in all Horizon bundles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Seagull1

Meesared wrote: »
    HD is included in all Horizon bundles

Thank you Meesared.

~ Seagull.

Advertisement