Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

who_me wrote: »
    Nope, no such feature on the Horizon.

With a Mac & an AppleTV you can share your screen, with the Chrome browser and the Chromecast dongle you can do likewise. It'd be a great feature to include..

Is there a block on the Horizon box of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

who_me wrote: »
    Nope, no such feature on the Horizon.

With a Mac & an AppleTV you can share your screen, with the Chrome browser and the Chromecast dongle you can do likewise. It'd be a great feature to include..

You can stream to the Horizon Box
    using
    Using any of software below
    Add videos or music or photos to Library of software below using folders is best

Windows Media Player enable streaming and allow all devices
    Twonky
    Serviio
    Plex
    Play On

any DNLA server software should work some are good some are better
    For Horizon
    Windows Media Player
    Twonky

Make sure you have vlc player software installed on your PC

Important Horizon Network don't use the option to scan for media

Twonky download latest version from twonky website its called twonky server
    If you have my upc set up on upc website you will see twonky listed and your licence code there if not call 1908 for your licence code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

paulboland wrote: »
    You can stream to the Horizon Box
    using
    Using any of software below
    Add videos or music or photos to Library of software below using folders is best

Windows Media Player enable streaming and allow all devices
    Twonky
    Serviio
    Plex
    Play On

any DNLA server software should work some are good some are better
    For Horizon
    Windows Media Player
    Twonky

Make sure you have vlc player software installed on your PC

Important Horizon Network don't use the option to scan for media

Twonky download latest version from twonky website its called twonky server
    If you have my upc set up on upc website you will see twonky listed and your licence code there if not call 1908 for your licence code

I have twonky installed and it works fine. But the way I am using it is by putting media files into a folder on my computer and searching for that folder on Horizon.

I am talking about live stream on a website that I watch on my computer and mirror it over to the horizon box. Do you get me. Or are you telling me twonky can do this way too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I have twonky installed and it works fine. But the way I am using it is by putting media files into a folder on my computer and searching for that folder on Horizon.

I am talking about live stream on a website that I watch on my computer and mirror it over to the horizon box. Do you get me. Or are you telling me twonky can do this way too?

No that wont be possible to mirror a website to a Horizon Box

What it can do is the opposite using UPC Horizon Remote iPhone app
    it can mirror what channel your watching onto your iPhone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can you get the movie channels without the sports channels? We have the basic upc package with phone and broadband and have the rest from Sky. We've decided to cancel Sky as we've had problems with them and the last person my Husband dealt with on the phone was an absolute cnut. We'd like to get the Horizon package but we don't have any interest in sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭your desired user name

Sorry if this has already been asked.. Is there a way of showing what wireless devices are connected? Had a look in http://192.168.192.1/ but not jumping out at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Is there a block on the Horizon box of some sort?

No, it's just Horizon is using an existing, well supported standard called DLNA for sharing media; but it's file-based. You browse folders and select which file you want to stream. I'm not aware of any ability to share live content.

It's likely possible a DLNA server could be written to do it, by creating a dummy file for each live stream being viewed, and if anyone requests that file, the server sends the live stream to them instead.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can you get the movie channels without the sports channels? We have the basic upc package with phone and broadband and have the rest from Sky. We've decided to cancel Sky as we've had problems with them and the last person my Husband dealt with on the phone was an absolute cnut. We'd like to get the Horizon package but we don't have any interest in sports.

Should do - it's 32 euros See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I used to schedule my recording from UPC tv guide https://tv-guide.upc.ie/TV/

It was working fine before the horizon box. When I am trying now it's saying you need a Digital+ subscription???

Is the remote recording on the box not supported?

Can someone please try the link to see if they can schedule a recording?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭nakano3153

Sorry if this has already been asked.. Is there a way of showing what wireless devices are connected? Had a look in http://192.168.192.1/ but not jumping out at me.

go to Basic/DHCP client devices

This will show a list of devices. This being Horizon, it will show connected devices as disconnected or incorrectly identified as Ethernet when they are over wi-fi. Welcome to the world of Horizon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

coldfire1x wrote: »
    I used to schedule my recording from UPC tv guide https://tv-guide.upc.ie/TV/

It was working fine before the horizon box. When I am trying now it's saying you need a Digital+ subscription???

Is the remote recording on the box not supported?

Can someone please try the link to see if they can schedule a recording?
    You use www.horizon.tv now instead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Meesared wrote: »
    You use www.horizon.tv now instead

I was using the horizon.tv for watching live channels but wasn't looking carefully enough to realize that the recording is there in the guide :p

Thanks Meesared

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Not sure if some or all these questions have been asked before but:

I have the standard UPC box connected to one TV. I have another HDTV that just has Saorview and a PC hooked up to it.

1. Can I get the Horizon box without multi-room and somehow watch HD channels on my TV that is connected to the PC?

2. The Sky Sports option seems to be €34 extra a month but it's not clear if this is HD. Is it extra cost again for Sky Sports HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I have the app on my W7 laptop... but the screen is broken.. oopsy.

When I click to install that Widevine Media Optimizer thing, it doesn't do anything on any browser with W8.

I've tried everything. I think.

Go to your settings and add favourites. Use HD where necessary!

Add them in the order you want them to appear.. I did.. and it's perfect!

Favourite channels appear before all other channels.. then when it gets to the end of your favourites, it shows all channels in the correct order.

So now, my channels are in order like this ..

RTÉ ONE
    RTÉ ONE +1
    RTÉ TWO HD
    3e
    TG4HD
    BBC ONE HD
    BBC TWO HD
    BBC THREE
    BBC FOUR
    SKY 1 HD
    SKY 2
    UTV
    ITV 2
    ITV 3
    ITV 4
    Channel 4
    E4
    E4+1
    More4
    More4+1
    TLC
    GOLD
    GOLD+1
    Comedy Central
    Comedy Central +1
    Comedy Central EXTRA
    Sky Living HD
    Discovery HD
    Discovery +1
    History HD
    National Geographic Channel HD
    National Geo Wold HD
    Crime Investigation
    Discovery Science
    Discovery History
    Sky News HD
    I.D. Investigation Discovery
    Food Network UK
    Home
    Home & Health
    E!
    Film 4
    Film 4+1 (I wish I put these after More4+1.. but I can't be arsed doing it again)
    MGM HD

Then from here the channels are all starting again in normal order.
    I don't have movies or sports.. maybe the movies in winter.
    I fairly rambled on at the beginning of this post.. but you get the idea I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

quarryman wrote: »
    Not sure if some or all these questions have been asked before but:

I have the standard UPC box connected to one TV. I have another HDTV that just has Saorview and a PC hooked up to it.

1. Can I get the Horizon box without multi-room and somehow watch HD channels on my TV that is connected to the PC?

2. The Sky Sports option seems to be €34 extra a month but it's not clear if this is HD. Is it extra cost again for Sky Sports HD?

€10 extra for Sky Sports HD - And it's Only SS1 & SS2

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭your desired user name

Anyone know is there something similar to My TV Planner on the Horizon box..Can i check to see what is set up to be recorded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Anyone know is there something similar to My TV Planner on the Horizon box..Can i check to see what is set up to be recorded?

Yep, select Recordings on the remote and move one option to the right to get to Planned Recordings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

Used to happen a lot on recordings, but think there was a fix as I haven't had it happen in a good while.
    I found if you just stop and start from beginning (do not resume) it would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭timmer3

i currently have an Apple TV2 box, with XMBC to watch stuff from the NAS. watch movies from iTunes and don't have a netflix account. i hate the old UPC box and never really use it anymore. what with random channel switching to the "info" channel, and a wojus user interface... I tried UPC on-demand but thought it was a bit crap, the RTE player only gives you a small selection of what's available, so as good as useless in my book. it also makes a loud fan noise when switched on, and even when on standby it is noticable in the room.

could anyone say if there are major feature gaps if i ditch the ATV2 box and go with Horizon? i download most tv series etc, rent the odd movie online, and watch the odd bit of "live" telly. i gather the Horizon box can load videos from NAS, can it play music from a network music library? i assume since it can pick up HD telly channels it can also play HD video over the network? (the ATV2 box scales everything down to 720p which is a bit annoying)

last question... with the horizon box in standby, does it make any noise? thanks!!

I'd keep the AppleTV (for Home Sharing if you use that, and Airplay). Most current NAS devices should feature a DLNA server, and the Horizon box has a DLNA client so they should work together for movies or music, even if the interface is a bit... meh. I don't know if the Horizon scales the content it streams over DLNA, but I'd guess it wouldn't.

The Horizon box is very noisy when initially switched on, but then is almost completely silent at all other times - in my experience.

found an interesting answer to my own question from another forum. i'm going to hold out for a few months and see if anything improves. i never record 4 things at the same time anyway :)
    if it could play blu-ray discs then that would be something, a truly all-in-one home media set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

timmer3 wrote: »
    found an interesting answer to my own question from another forum. i'm going to hold out for a few months and see if anything improves. i never record 4 things at the same time anyway :)
    if it could play blu-ray discs then that would be something, a truly all-in-one home media set-up.

That post is from 5 months ago though. Have things not improved since then? I would have thought the TV UI would have improved a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Your quote from another forum is dated 1.4.13, I would expect many of the Horizon box faults are now fixed.

Apologies to quarryman for missing his similar earlier post.

@quarryman @Mearings, thanks for pointing this out, hadn't spotted that.
    i think i'll have to see it in action before going ahead. to be honest i'm happy enough with my current media set up because i so rarely switch on the UPC box. it's ultra-low-power, silent, and easy for the rest of the family to use. i might let horizon bed in for a few months anyway, i'd expect a software update after the first few months of the system being out 'in the wild'. appreciate the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

@quarryman @Mearings, thanks for pointing this out, hadn't spotted that.
    i think i'll have to see it in action before going ahead. to be honest i'm happy enough with my current media set up because i so rarely switch on the UPC box. it's ultra-low-power, silent, and easy for the rest of the family to use. i might let horizon bed in for a few months anyway, i'd expect a software update after the first few months of the system being out 'in the wild'. appreciate the replies.

If I thought that the Horizon box was better than the Cisco HD box particularly in regards to EPG (slow & no sound) + series recording (not to be trusted) + unable to record radio programs, I would order it, despite €45 'loyalty charge'.

Mearings wrote: »
    If I thought that the Horizon box was better than the Cisco HD box particularly in regards to EPG (slow & no sound) + series recording (not to be trusted) + unable to record radio programs, I would order it, despite €45 'loyalty charge'.

I don't follow what you mean about the EPG - the Horizon EPG is much quicker and smoother than the Cisco's (even though the continuous scrolling is still too slow), and you can preview channels before switching. And both the Cisco & Horizon EPGs play the video & sound in the background, is that not working for you?

• Advertisement

Weird issue last night - the Horizon's wifi network was incredibly weak (Wifi Explorer listed the signal at 7%) and I couldn't connect even though I was less than 2m away. Tried restarting both the Mac and the Horizon box, and the network would briefly appear with a strong signal, before plunging back down to 7%.

So, I tried plugging in a cable and.. no luck. I couldn't even ping the Horizon box when the Mac was plugged directly into it. However, both my iPhone and another Mac plugged in via Homeplugs worked ok. I assumed my Mac was hosed, but when I brought it into the office today it connected to the network instantly. I don't know if the issue is the Mac or Horizon, but they (suddenly!) don't play nice together.

Advertisement