Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

who_me wrote: »
    I don't follow what you mean about the EPG - the Horizon EPG is much quicker and smoother than the Cisco's (even though the continuous scrolling is still too slow), and you can preview channels before switching. And both the Cisco & Horizon EPGs play the video & sound in the background, is that not working for you?

I am using a UPC/Cisco tv box. I find that when I press Guide I lose sound & vision of the program I'm watching for about 10 seconds.
    I'm glad you say Horizon box is better in this respect. I'm edging towards change.
    A question: At present I pay €5 pcm for hd programs, do I continue to pay this with Horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Nice set up, just got it today. Very happy with it so far.

Any word on a web interface?

-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

On the back of the remote (with keyboard) there are coloured buttons. I am thinking if its anyway possible to program these button to behave like old remote coloured buttons.

I am really missing the one click delete recording like it was possible with the blue colour button on the old remote. It was quite handy to delete few recording with just one click.

Also it seems like this box does not have its own volume, I mean it has fixed volume. Not entirely sure about it. I programmed the tv keys too quickly. So volume keys were controlling the tv volume. Today I did a reset of the remote. After that the volume button does nothing.

Anyone who are yet to program their remote for tv, can you please try your volume button? Does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

coldfire1x wrote: »
    On the back of the remote (with keyboard) there are coloured buttons. I am thinking if its anyway possible to program these button to behave like old remote coloured buttons.

I am really missing the one click delete recording like it was possible with the blue colour button on the old remote. It was quite handy to delete few recording with just one click.

Also it seems like this box does not have its own volume, I mean it has fixed volume. Not entirely sure about it. I programmed the tv keys too quickly. So volume keys were controlling the tv volume. Today I did a reset of the remote. After that the volume button does nothing.

Anyone who are yet to program their remote for tv, can you please try your volume button? Does it work?
    Yeah the Volume is only meant to work for the TV, and its not possible to reprogram the colour keys on the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

No HD is included as standard with the Horizon packages.

Does anyone know if UPC will enable 5GHz on the boxes? Have they mentioned it at all?

I asked that question a few months ago
    5 Ghz won't be enabled for now
    It's not used by upc in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

jamesnp wrote: »
    Any word on a web interface?

-jp

When I initially spoke to the loyalty dept about Horizon TV box they told me you could brouse any website. Was very disappointed to discover this is not the case, when my box was eventually up and running yesterday.

Does anyone know if / when a web browser app will be available on the Horizon TV box?

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Probably been asked before but....

Does the new horizon box have an integrated modem in it? or do we still use our old modem? I have my home phone near my modem, not near the TV, in this set up, will I have to connect the phone to the horizon box?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

jameshayes wrote: »
    Probably been asked before but....

Does the new horizon box have an integrated modem in it? or do we still use our old modem? I have my home phone near my modem, not near the TV, in this set up, will I have to connect the phone to the horizon box?

Just one box, modem is internal:

7944000764_3aeb530a9f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Mearings wrote: »
    I am using a UPC/Cisco tv box. I find that when I press Guide I lose sound & vision of the program I'm watching for about 10 seconds.
    I'm glad you say Horizon box is better in this respect. I'm edging towards change.
    A question: At present I pay €5 pcm for hd programs, do I continue to pay this with Horizon?

Ah, sorry.

Yes, the Guide comes up in about 1-2 seconds, without any pause in the sound as the Cisco had. Much nicer than the Cisco's EPG.

The only drawback is the 'continuous scroll' (i.e. holding up/down to keep scrolling), it's about as bad as the Cisco. Hold the button, and nothing happens for 2 seconds, then it starts scrolling... when you release it keeps scrolling for 2 seconds so you zoom past the channel you were looking for. Typing in a channel number to jump to that point in the EPG, and then tapping to move up/down a few channels works better.

Very disappointed, given how cluttered the 2.4GHz band is now. I can pick up about 15 Wifi networks from my apartment, there aren't really any gaps in the 2.4GHz channels left. Then i check 5GHz and there's a huge swathe of unused spectrum there.

PGL wrote: »
    When I initially spoke to the loyalty dept about Horizon TV box they told me you could brouse any website. Was very disappointed to discover this is not the case, when my box was eventually up and running yesterday.

Does anyone know if / when a web browser app will be available on the Horizon TV box?

cheers!
    Cant see it happening, would take too much programming to make one work, then you have the limited controls too

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Meesared wrote: »
    Cant see it happening, would take too much programming to make one work, then you have the limited controls too

in my ignorance I am v surprised to hear that in this day and age, web browsing is impossible on this piece of kit.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

does anyone know why we don't have SKY 1 HD on channel 114, LIVING HD on channel 124 and other HD channels not substituted in like we have now for RTE 2 HD (102) and BBC 1 HD (109)

On horizon everyone has HD as standard so there should be no need for the HD channels to be at 140 onwards on the EPG, ie. should only have a single SKY 1 channel not two, one in SD and one in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

ciaran75 wrote: »
    does anyone know why we don't have SKY 1 HD on channel 114, LIVING HD on channel 124 and other HD channels not substituted in like we have now for RTE 2 HD (102) and BBC 1 HD (109)

On horizon everyone has HD as standard so there should be no need for the HD channels to be at 140 onwards on the EPG, ie. should only have a single SKY 1 channel not two, one in SD and one in HD

I think it's because those channels actually broadcast different programmes in the HD and SD versions. RTÉ Two HD, TG4 HD, BBC One HD all the same regardless of HD version or not.

-jp

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Can anyone tell me is the remote control for Horizon any better than the current one for the digi box. The current digi box is horrific.

Loughc wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me is the remote control for Horizon any better than the current one for the digi box. The current digi box is horrific.
    In what way are you looking for it to be better?

PGL wrote: »
    in my ignorance I am v surprised to hear that in this day and age, web browsing is impossible on this piece of kit.....:(
    Not impossible, just impractical, in usability and development terms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Can anyone tell me if i get a horizon box, how much is it for an additional multiroom horizon box?

Cant find it on their website for some reason.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

they are only giving one horizon box per household

• Registered Users Posts: 6 srteve

Can anyone share whether or not they can change (and how they did it) the DNS settings on the Horizon Box?

Hey, have people who were on the Horizon trial change their bundles? If so, how did the 'post-trial' bundle compare with the trial bundle?

I received an email saying they'd be in touch, and have some unanswered calls on the phone (never use it, it's usually disconnected, so it could only be from UPC). Not sure whether to follow up on it or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

My biggest struggle with the remote is that it's RF (for the Horizon) and not IR. This means that I cannot programme my universal remote and place the stock remote in a drawer along with my vast collection remotes.

Personally I think it's too fussy for a 'new gen' device like this.

The remote could be my dealbreaker.

My biggest struggle with the remote is that it's RF (for the Horizon) and not IR. This means that I cannot programme my universal remote and place the stock remote in a drawer along with my vast collection remotes.

Personally I think it's too fussy for a 'new gen' device like this.

The remote could be my dealbreaker.

Well, the box supports some functions via IR, you can certainly turn the box on, change channels, browse the menus etc. using an IR remote. I have the a Harmony 1100 and it's what I use almost exclusively now. It's not bad, but it's a pity they couldn't add support for just a few additional buttons (Info, Live TV etc.)

I wonder if the scrolling problems in the EPG are related to the remote?

The qwerty keyboard on the reverse is handy though for searches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

I take it you are looking for a less "techy" answer then what was given. I assume, like me, you hated the cheapness, look, feel and slowness of the UPC remote?

Well I love the new horizon remote, at first I was like WTF, state of this thing. But using it it soon became obvious the major benefit, it so easy to use, even in the dark, no fumbling around trying to remember buttons. Simple.

Its fast to react, no lag. There's no stretching around bending your arm around furniture trying to connect with the box. Im a big Sky Remote fan and this tops it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I take it you are looking for a less "techy" answer then what was given. I assume, like me, you hated the cheapness, look, feel and slowness of the UPC remote?

Well I love the new horizon remote, at first I was like WTF, state of this thing. But using it it soon became obvious the major benefit, it so easy to use, even in the dark, no fumbling around trying to remember buttons. Simple.

Its fast to react, no lag. There's no stretching around bending your arm around furniture trying to connect with the box. Im a big Sky Remote fan and this tops it.

Are you using the same remote as me??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Anyone have another modem bridged upto this?
    I currently have the standard upc modem with another router bridged to it and my NAS connected to it.
    With the standard modem I was able to allow port forwarding etc to allow me to connect to my NAS outside...does the horizon box allow this?

Advertisement