Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fentona

I'm a complete newbie here and have searched for this topic but can't find it, so apologies if this is a duplicate.

I've recently got a Horizon box and can see it on my PC through Windows Media Player.
    It appears as a separate library with a number identifier.
    I can browse the recorded programmes on it.
    When I try to Play the programmes, nothing happens.

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, how I could play this content please?

I may be going beyond the capabilities of the box, but thought that it would be worth a try.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

fentona wrote: »
    I'm a complete newbie here and have searched for this topic but can't find it, so apologies if this is a duplicate.

I've recently got a Horizon box and can see it on my PC through Windows Media Player.
    It appears as a separate library with a number identifier.
    I can browse the recorded programmes on it.
    When I try to Play the programmes, nothing happens.

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, how I could play this content please?

I may be going beyond the capabilities of the box, but thought that it would be worth a try.

Thanks.
    It's not possible to play recorded content that's on your horizon box using your PC
    It is though possible to play videos that's on your PC or connected hard drives using horizon to stream these videos on your TV

The recorded programs content of horizon can only be viewed on your TV or a monitor with hdmi connection that's hdcp compliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

3.5 Meters is a reasonably long run. If you can get a well shielded cable like RG6 or CT100 quality.

The box isn't new, just the versions of software so the physical requirements are the same.

Looks like I need about 4.5metres to be safe. I'm struggling to source a cable I can simply attach to the UPC connection box run it through the wardrobes etc and connect direct to the Horizon box.

Rang UPC they suggested that it may be impossible and that an engineer would be required to move connection box to the other side of the room. This costs €80. Luckily im still within the cooling off period of a new contract so I might threaten to cancel the whole thing unless I get that done for free. Still a load of hassle though....

Surely such a magic cable exists! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Trond wrote: »
    Looks like I need about 4.5metres to be safe. I'm struggling to source a cable I can simply attach to the UPC connection box run it through the wardrobes etc and connect direct to the Horizon box.

Rang UPC they suggested that it may be impossible and that an engineer would be required to move connection box to the other side of the room. This costs €80. Luckily im still within the cooling off period of a new contract so I might threaten to cancel the whole thing unless I get that done for free. Still a load of hassle though....

Surely such a magic cable exists! :mad:

https://www.satellitetv.ie/rg6_satellite_cable/25m-satellite-cable-kit

Cheers for that........I had looked at that site but wasn't 100% what one I needed.

I presume an idiot such as myself should be able to attach the relevant bits and bobs to either end and just work away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 fentona

paulboland wrote: »
    It's not possible to play recorded content that's on your horizon box using your PC
    It is though possible to play videos that's on your PC or connected hard drives using horizon to stream these videos on your TV

The recorded programs content of horizon can only be viewed on your TV or a monitor with hdmi connection that's hdcp compliant

Thanks - I appreciate you explaining that.

Trond wrote: »
    Cheers for that........I had looked at that site but wasn't 100% what one I needed.

I presume an idiot such as myself should be able to attach the relevant bits and bobs to either end and just work away?

yep, Also plenty of youtube vids on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Has anyone tried out the New " My Prime" section in "On Demand" ? Quite a lot of free to watch boxsets and Movies. Some are very good. 5 Seasons of the walking dead, All of Wallander,Revenge Seasons 1 3, Alias,Cougar Town, Greys... and many more. In the movies section there is a long list of relatively new and old movies Like Sin City and what Richard Did.

Is it worth the recent increase in price? Possibly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We've a seperate thread on that

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

icdg wrote: »
    We've a seperate thread on that
    Thanks, I just seen that, But to be honest, the last page is full of technical talk that should be on here, No one telling any one to switch threads.
    Just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Is anyone having trouble with wireless keyboards and mouse, Bluetooth interference from the horizons box, I just got a new keyboard and mouse because i thought my old one was faulty but reading up it seems to be a problem from the horizons box, also my wiiu and 3ds keep loosing signal.

Try changing the wifi channel.

Try changing the wifi channel.

Id all sorts of issues at the beginning but in the end I got a new router sent out. Took the wifi off the Horizon box completely and changed the wifi channel. Its worked perfectly since.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭your desired user name

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cant get a signal from Horizon through either of 2 HDMI ports but can through scart to my LG non-smart TV.

Was working fine until a few days ago.

Can get xbox and PC through HDMI on either port.

Have tried several HDMI cables.

Horizon through HDMI works fine when I hook it up to another Toshiba TV I have but I have the same problem on another older TV.

I recently used Chromecast on the LG TV. Not sure if that could have upset the settings.

I have done a factory restore on both the Horizon box and the LG TV to no avail.

After the factory restore on the TV, I could see Horizon on the TV for a few seconds but it then disappeared.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FionnanBurke

Are youbusing HDMI hub? I can't use a HDMI hub on my horizon box, it worked for one day but when I got up the next morning it wouldn't work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭your desired user name

Are youbusing HDMI hub? I can't use a HDMI hub on my horizon box, it worked for one day but when I got up the next morning it wouldn't work at all.

Should have said...Tried using a HDMI splitter last week but it didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭fear_factory84

I got today my new horizon tv hd+ box (samsung) and from my initial tests it seems to work well.
    It has dual radio wireless, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz simultaneous, I can set which port forwarding I want (still need to test it better).
    I did the 120mbit contract, and I got near 120mbit down and 12 up on speedtest.net using the included coaxial cable. Using the crappy cable that I got with my apartment I cannot get more than 100, so I need to get a longer and good cable (at least 3 meters). The original one is too short..
    Any advice on which type of cable I should get? (and where is cheaper to buy it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 crispyduck

Despite much searching I am obviously too stupid to find out what UPC mean by this? Can anyone please help.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Balinov

I got today my new horizon tv hd+ box (samsung) and from my initial tests it seems to work well.
    It has dual radio wireless, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz simultaneous, I can set which port forwarding I want (still need to test it better).
    I did the 120mbit contract, and I got near 120mbit down and 12 up on speedtest.net using the included coaxial cable. Using the crappy cable that I got with my apartment I cannot get more than 100, so I need to get a longer and good cable (at least 3 meters). The original one is too short..
    Any advice on which type of cable I should get? (and where is cheaper to buy it?)

Hi fear_factory84, is the 5ghz radio enabled in your Horizon box? Mine is about a year old and just like other users reporting since the 5ghz is disabled via the firmware....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

crispyduck wrote: »
    Despite much searching I am obviously too stupid to find out what UPC mean by this? Can anyone please help.
    Error 2010 is a connectivity error.
    Check your wiring and wait 15 minutes until the error is showing up again.
    Reboot your box with the power switch on the rear.
    If the error is showing up again, check (and replace) your wiring.

You can find error codes here (unfortunately only in Dutch)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Balinov wrote: »
    Hi fear_factory84, is the 5ghz radio enabled in your Horizon box? Mine is about a year old and just like other users reporting since the 5ghz is disabled via the firmware....

Mine is one of the first non-trial boxes and the 5Ghz radio was turned on automatically in late 2014. However, despite the sticker having a key for it, the key was missing and it didn't work until one was entered on the UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Balinov

L1011 wrote: »
    Mine is one of the first non-trial boxes and the 5Ghz radio was turned on automatically in late 2014. However, despite the sticker having a key for it, the key was missing and it didn't work until one was entered on the UI.

thanks L1011, weird you saying late '14..Last time I remember checking was some time Jan/Feb this year and sure it was disabled. Mind to ask the FW revision number? If it'll be different than the one in mine I'd probably get in touch with UPC to push the new fw to my box. Cheers, B

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭fear_factory84

L1011 wrote: »

I have changed password and ssid as soon as I've turned on the box...
    Both 2.4 and 5 ghz are enabled at the same time..

Upnp port forwarding on this box seems to not work at all, but static port forwardings work fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hey, I'm sure this was discussed before but I read back a few pages and couldn't find it so I'd be grateful if someone could answer this.

I just switched to the Horizon box from a combination of the Cisco 3925 and a Thompson non-HD box, mainly because it saved me €200 over the next year. I just want to know is there any way I can use the Horizon box for TV only and keep using my Cisco modem/router for broadband and phone? I'm perfectly happy with my current modem, I know others didn't share that view. Plus my phone/desktop and TV are on opposite ends of the room so otherwise, I'd have to put the phone beside the TV and go wireless with the desktop.

I assumed it wasn't possible and the sales agent didn't mention it but then I read this:
    If all your services are through your Horizon TV HD+ box, disconnect your current equipment – i.e. your set-top-box, your modem and all of the cables. If you have requested that you keep your existing modem, only disconnect your set-top-box.

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/662?_ga=1.75851485.990307766.1422457716

Is it just a matter of telling them that I want to keep my modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Everything in the one box horizon is called consolidated.

A lot here have the Horizon only for TV. A seperate modem, and the phone plugged into the modem.

Thats called de-consolidated in UPC speak.

Handy because it allows you to turn off WiFi in the modem and use your own better WiFi router.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So, I can just ask UPC to de-consolidate and use my EPC3925 and with the Horizon box for TV?

Yes there may be a charge though. Depends how their spin the bottle goes.

Your EPC3925 is only good for UPC's older low end broadband, you will require a different modem if you want to go the deconsolidated option and get the horizon speed package speeds. This will come at a cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

Your EPC3925 is only good for UPC's older low end broadband, you will require a different modem if you want to go the deconsolidated option and get the horizon speed package speeds. This will come at a cost.
    This is bull**** about the Cisco modem!

The Cisco EPC 3925 is a EuroDocsis 3.0 modem, has 8 download tuners, and capable to go to 400 Mb/s download.

UPC will give you the same speed on your Cisco modem if you contact them for that and if you can talk well, you might even get it for the same price.

Advertisement