Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Yes, I've had no problems at all (looking at it right now). To access it I use the DynDNS address and port 5000, and it hits it first time every time. On the other hand, I've never managed to hit the Horizon router login page over the internet! Doesn't really matter as I changed the admin password and can't remember what I changed it to... When accessing the Synology NAS while inside the network, I have to access it via IP address, as the DynDNS address doesn't seem to work. I could probably add something to the hosts file to get it to resolve correctly.

On a slightly related note: anyone know how to recover or reset the Horizon router admin password? :o

I know this is old news, but how did you get this working ? I have been trying on my 212j for ages, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Did you use the EZInternet wizard or set up PF manually ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Is there any way to get the unsubscribed channels eg. Syfy out of the list and if there where there is a HD version of a channel, to remove the non-HD version out of the list. I'm a flicker and all those redundant channels are a pain in the ass.

Also, they need to bring back now and next onto the same screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,178 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Is there any way to get the unsubscribed channels eg. Syfy out of the list and if there where there is a HD version of a channel, to remove the non-HD version out of the list. I'm a flicker and all those redundant channels are a pain in the ass.

Also, they need to bring back now and next onto the same screen.

Generally leaving the channels you don't have there is seen as advertising to try get you pay for them - at least the up/down buttons skip the damn things normally.

The only HD channels where there's dupes (normally) are due to differing content, e.g. its BBC2 NI and BBC2 HD England - Sky1 / Sky1HD I think is due to different ads, RTE1HD seems to be an oversight.

The now/next thing is my #1 problem with the box. They know its got plenty of space on screen and can render much smaller fonts than they use on that menu, there is no need to split that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭pah

I'm wondering if my subscription is linked to my line & account or is it coded in the box?

i.e. can I bring my horizon box to my mother in laws house and plug it in to watch bt sports on Stephens day. She has horizon but no BT sport sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

pah wrote: »
    I'm wondering if my subscription is linked to my line & account or is it coded in the box?

i.e. can I bring my horizon box to my mother in laws house and plug it in to watch bt sports on Stephens day. She has horizon but no BT sport sub.

Yes i bring my box to my mates all the time

• Advertisement

pah wrote: »

Yes, all your services are linked to the box. I had ours at a different address while we were renovating.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

can anyone give me a sloution as to why twonky is streaming films from my pc to Horizon Box in pan and scan? If I watch them through the PS3 they're in the proper letterbox format yet twonky seems to be, most of the time, paning and scanning .

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Hi Has anyone body else had problems with the box freezing and not allowing to scroll through channels and working very slow?

Is there any solution to this?

Cheers
    Derra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Its either you have an lg smart Tv or you have a large media library and media scanning turned on on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Edit, got it working

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Generally leaving the channels you don't have there is seen as advertising to try get you pay for them - at least the up/down buttons skip the damn things normally.

Nope, those channels i.e Syfy, Challenge, Quest, Shed, Turbo etc. still in the list when you channel surf. I think we got them free for a short while. Don't think anybody would pay for those. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Its either you have an lg smart Tv or you have a large media library and media scanning turned on on the box.
    I have an LG Smart TV but don't have it connected to the internet, because it stops Horizon working properly.

How do I disable that scanning thing? I could try that and see if it works?

factory reset (settings>Horizon HD+> Factory reset> Keep recordings>clear other settings: IMPORTANT, you must clear these settings)
    When it comes back up you will be prompted to setup home networking, just quit this section and dont set this up unless you use an external UPC router, quit any prompts to setup home media also.

Look for posts by paulboland in the main stickie horizon thread, he details it very clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 68,178 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Nope, those channels i.e Syfy, Challenge, Quest, Shed, Turbo etc. still in the list when you channel surf. I think we got them free for a short while. Don't think anybody would pay for those. :D

Have you tried rebooting the box - that's not meant to happen. One huge advantage all the UPC boxes have over Sky is that the up/down buttons skip channels you don't have.

Most of those (Shed, Turbo, Challenge anyway) were only added in the past few weeks.

MYOB wrote: »
    Have you tried rebooting the box - that's not meant to happen. One huge advantage all the UPC boxes have over Sky is that the up/down buttons skip channels you don't have.

Most of those (Shed, Turbo, Challenge anyway) were only added in the past few weeks.

Switched it on and off today. No difference. Certainly used to work on the "old" UPC boxes but then again Horizon tends to ignore the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

anyone having an issue with streaming? With movies I'm getting pan and scan a. With TV progs the aspect is correct. Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Why does it matter if you have an LG smart TV is that what makes the Horizon box to freeze??

yea, there's a whole thread on it in this forum but basically having a LG smart TV and connecting the network to the horizon box causes it to freeze. There is a patch available which you can request and should go live to everyone in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mikew1985

Anyone got a suggestion to help me out.

UPC had to de consolidate my internet from the horizon box due to audio issues.
    I now have a thomson modem/router again, however the Horizon box is still broadcasting an SSID and is on the same channel as my router.
    I should also mention any changes I make to the wireless channell are mirrored by the horizon box somehow(?!)

This is causing unnecessary interference as the thomson wireless signal seems far worse than it used to be before we got the horizon box.
    I had previously turned off wireless completely in the Horizon settings via my PC which was fine.

However I connected the horizon box to my new network and the SSID started broadcasting again.
    I cannot get into the horizon interface via http any more via wired or wireless connection and I can't switch off the wireless via the Horizon box itself either. Anybody got any suggestions short of a factory reset which will cost me my scheduled recordings and all my recorded content to date?

Another massive thumbs up for the Horizon experience! Quite the farce really; I'm on my second horizon box and my second modem router since being de consolidated.

If you are in Client or Join network mode then DHCP is off on the Horizon box and the Thompson is giving the Horizon box its IP address so you need to goto the IP of the Horizon box in the 192.169.1.X or 192.169.0.X range and not the 192.168.192.1 which you connect to when the horizon box is in gateway mode.

What audio issues were you having that were resolved by consolidating the box?

• Advertisement

I actually wasn't in client mode anymore and was struggling to find the default gateway. As with all of these things I almost immediately got access to the router and have now disabled the wifi.

However that now means that the box can't be connected to my network, unless I go ethernet I suppose (all 4 are used up at the minute + 4 in a LAN switch). A bit crap that the default is to continue to get the Horizon to broadcast a join able SSID on the same channel as your actual router. seems an odd decision to me.

Audio issues were stuttering which seemed to be being caused by having wired connections into the box. I narrowed it down to my NAS. They were not able to offer a satisfactory solution to stop the stuttering other than to de-consolidate.

You can connect the horizon to the thompson wirelessly in client mode and set the channel to a free one in the web gui.

Bizarrely it won't allow you to make any changes to wireless settings when in client mode in the Web gui.

Can't alter ssid, wireless channel or wireless broadcast power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

I'm not sure if I have a unit problem or maybe a misunderstanding.

The new Horizon HD+ box arrived and after connecting it to the UPC cable then we couldn't get internet access via the router wireless channel (nor if we connected directly to one of the ethernet ports). UPC sent out a cable modem/router and that is fine if we connect to it wirelessly; it and the HD+ box are both connected to the cable. If I add the HD+ box integrated router to the new modem network via a powerline adaptor then it gets allocated a new IP address as expected but we still cannot connect to the internet via the HD+ box wireless channel.

Sounds like a dud box.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Has anyone just found their Favourites are no longer in order?

Mine were ok up until this week.

Is there a handy fix?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

I'm based in Dublin 6.

Connected to the Horizon box today.

Set up the wi-fi network and connected my laptop.

I then did a speed test and these are the results from UPC's speed test:

Download Speed: 43.35 Mbps

Upload Speed: 10.50 Mbps

Rather average, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

panama wrote: »
    I'm based in Dublin 6.

Rather average, no?

This is normal, it's a limit of your laptop wifi card.
    If you connect laptop directly via cat6 cable (Ethernet LAN cable) you get the full speed.
    You probably have a 802.11g card, try change Wifi card to 802.11n which runs 300mb but even then don't expect to see full speed.. Wifi has loads of overhead that reduces actual speed. The best I ever saw from my 200 mb service was 75mb over a 300mb wifi link.... But wifi is fine for most applications.

panama wrote: »
    I'm based in Dublin 6.

Rather average, no?

No, Those are good speeds over wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

trackerman wrote: »
    This is normal, it's a limit of your laptop wifi card.
    If you connect laptop directly via cat6 cable (Ethernet LAN cable) you get the full speed.
    You probably have a 802.11g card, try change Wifi card to 802.11n which runs 300mb but even then don't expect to see full speed.. Wifi has loads of overhead that reduces actual speed. The best I ever saw from my 200 mb service was 75mb over a 300mb wifi link.... But wifi is fine for most applications.

Cool thanks for explaining.

Advertisement