Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

Link?

It's an app that was on the phone when I got it. Only got phone last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

ah, right, so its using the IR emitter on the HTC1 then?

ah, right, so its using the IR emitter on the HTC1 then?

Not sure that IR works on Horizon box. Will have to look into it more. Anyone else here has HTC1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Not sure that IR works on Horizon box. Will have to look into it more. Anyone else here has HTC1?

Yeah, it does, I have the Samsung S4 and it works with Horizon via IR, but all the built-in app really does is change the channel, that HTC app sounds infinitely better.

It is an IR emitter on the HTC one. Would be good if the Horizon Android developers too a look at that app when creating the Horizon App which is due out in some distant future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I got a htc 1 on Saturday and set up the tv app. Its very easy to set up.

On a different matter does anyone know if you can send your pictures/ video to the horizon wirelessly. I know you can get a HTC media kit but wondering if the Horizon box can receive without one. Is there an app like twonkey for the HTC one ?

Twonky Mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Panrich

I have been offered a deal to move to UPC TV from SKY (already UPC broadband customer) and I have a couiple of questions regarding the Horizon box.

I replaced the awful Cisco router with a Mikrotik (brilliant piece of kit btw) and I wonder if it's possible to put the Horizon box into bridged mode too as I don't want to go back to where I was with my broadband with the Cisco?

Are the boxes now getting more reliable as I've heard some bad things anecdotally? Have they updated the firmware or hardware since they launched?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Panrich wrote: »
    I have been offered a deal to move to UPC TV from SKY (already UPC broadband customer) and I have a couiple of questions regarding the Horizon box.

I replaced the awful Cisco router with a Mikrotik (brilliant piece of kit btw) and I wonder if it's possible to put the Horizon box into bridged mode too as I don't want to go back to where I was with my broadband with the Cisco?

Are the boxes now getting more reliable as I've heard some bad things anecdotally? Have they updated the firmware or hardware since they launched?

The Router is built into the Horizon box, So you cant use your own, Its a Samsung and works quite well.
    There are still a few bugs that they don't seem to be able to sort out, and when You talk to them about it you can be told that its an issue they are working on or they have never heard of the issue depending on who you talk to.
    The box itself is still quite good ( Better if they ever get the bugs sorted out) And the new customer deal is quit good, New box for free and reduced rate for 6 months. I would switch for now and next year see what Sky are prepared to offer to get You back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 newmanater

Hi

Wondering when the supposed software update for the Horizon box is rolling out? I'm plagued with lagging and freezing issues. Just want it get it fixed at this stage

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,176 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's frequent updates, every week or so - mine last installed one at 6am this morning. There isn't one mega-updated planned as far as anyone can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

No such thing as a changelog, I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 newmanater

MYOB wrote: »
    There's frequent updates, every week or so - mine last installed one at 6am this morning. There isn't one mega-updated planned as far as anyone can tell.
    The support people I was talking to said that there is a software update planned for mid Nov that would solve these issues , that i'll address the issues.
    We also had a Technician out and he said the same same thing.

Was that just BS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

MYOB wrote: »
    Daily updates are only TV Guide updates they happen every day at different times
    Morning Afternoon Evening Night
    Note some days there is no update

Most are late night or early Morning
    Two updates listings in software info
    Software Version you will see version number change if there is a software update
    Last Update example
    Software Version V1.28_16777494
    WE 31.07.13/ 05:16 TH 14.11.13
    Last software update was on WE 31.07.13
    Last Guide update was on TH 14.11.13
    When you have a Software Firmware Update Version details will change

Note other changes to settings can happen that are not software updates but UPC sending a signal to the Box for different reasons
    These wont show up in software update information

There was a Beta Trial Software Update in Oct that was for recording functions
    It was not anything amazing and most changes were not what users expected as in delete function did not arrive

The Next Firmware Update possible been released in November is not known yet what it fixes and most likely is only the beta update release that was been tested and tweaks made from feedback
    I hope like most users it has more software fixes and improvements but i don't have any info yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I can live with the crazy tv control system and unreliable streaming from my laptop but having gone from 120 to 200 mb internet I would expect to have better wifi coverage in my house not worse. Its virtually impossible for the missus to watch Downtown abbey in the bed now and that means I have to watch it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

sweetie wrote: »
    I can live with the crazy tv control system and unreliable streaming from my laptop but having gone from 120 to 200 mb internet I would expect to have better wifi coverage in my house not worse. Its virtually impossible for the missus to watch Downtown abbey in the bed now and that means I have to watch it too.
    A €10 wifi repeater solved that issue for me.
    I can get 60-80MB wireless beside the horizon box and about 25MB upstairs. With the wi-fi repeater I can get about 50MB upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I can get 60-80MB wireless beside the horizon box and about 25MB upstairs. With the wi-fi repeater I can get about 50MB upstairs.

I know it can be fixed but it shouldn't be up to me surely!

sweetie wrote: »
    I know it can be fixed but it shouldn't be up to me surely!
    No, it shouldn't be up to you, but it's a cheap way to avoid Downton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

No, it shouldn't be up to you, but it's a cheap way to avoid Downton.

they provided me with a seperate modem and since the wifi range has been great. complain enough and they will do it

• Registered Users Posts: 24 whoppoe

hello all,

Thinkin of upgrading to new Horizon box. Anyone know if it works with sonos system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

Hi all,

Does the remote actually work with the Horizon box?

I thought my problems with the old UPC system were an isolated incident until I saw the threads online ranting about how awful it is. I'd get the upgrade for a functional/reliable remote alone...

Its an RF remote so doesnt need line of sight and there is also an ipad/iphone remote control app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Hi all,

Does the remote actually work with the Horizon box?

I thought my problems with the old UPC system were an isolated incident until I saw the threads online ranting about how awful it is. I'd get the upgrade for a functional/reliable remote alone...
    What's the problems you have had with the previous remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Got my Horizon box delivered today but I can't connect the TV. UPC wall box is upstairs and TV is downstairs. I assume I'm going to have to get some sort of wirelss transmitter to get the TV channels downstairs.

Can anyone recommend a box? Or should I just add the multiroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Got my Horizon box delivered today but I can't connect the TV. UPC wall box is upstairs and TV is downstairs. I assume I'm going to have to get some sort of wirelss transmitter to get the TV channels downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Animo wrote: »

Get them back out to install a point downstairs.

€45 squids i think

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Where'd you get that 10 euro repeater?
    Thanks,
    E.

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Where'd you get that 10 euro repeater?
    Thanks,
    E.
    I got mine on EBay. Can't seem to find it now, but it is similar to this one, with a 3 pin adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

I got mine on EBay. Can't seem to find it now, but it is similar to this one, with a 3 pin adapter

Thank you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tehPOK

Sorry if this has been said before, but I've been trying to connect my laptop and phone to the Horizon Box wireless internet but the box doesn't seem to be visible to either device. The apps on the box itself work, so the internet works.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement