Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Bought Horizon in Dec 2013.

2 phone calls to tech support, 1 visit from engineer, UPC restructured contract to only give broadband this week due to my complaints.

The person who I was speaking to in the loyalty dept said that there was a software upgrade due in late January which should solve issues with the box freezing, missing recordings etc.

She couldn't guarantee that the upgrade would work with LG tvs though (bizzare?!) so for that reason she said that they'd let me out of TV contract and give me 120mb broadband for €35pm instead.

Called Sky and got basic package + sports + movies 1/2 price for 12 months.

I'm relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

connundrum wrote: »

She couldn't guarantee that the upgrade would work with LG tvs though

Called Sky and got basic package + sports + movies 1/2 price for 12 months.
    LG TVs are the only problem with it, really! :( I hope they sort it!

My parents have the best package with everything on Sky for €19 a month! Though I prefer the UPC box over Sky's box. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Eamonn

Hi connundrum, PeteK*

There is a software update available now which will resolve any issues using the Horizon Service with your LG Smart TV.

If you PM our UPC: Reps account with your account details we will have the software update sent to your Horizon boxes.

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I see the latest update to the Horizon iOS app that 3G streaming is enabled for Swiss users are there any plans to roll this out too irish users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

link?

When you update the App on the list of improvements it's showing on the latest version on the App Store

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/horizon.tv/id549148968?mt=8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

link?

What's New in Version 1.6.3
    - Solved app crash when app wakes up from background
    - iPad homepage optimized
    - Small bugfixes & product enhancements
    - Streaming via 3G (Switzerland only)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Any advice on getting a better wifi range, it's seriously limiting now, much worse than the previous router.

paulboland wrote: »
    What's New in Version 1.6.3
    - Solved app crash when app wakes up from background
    - iPad homepage optimized
    - Small bugfixes & product enhancements
    - Streaming via 3G (Switzerland only)

Ah, ok, I saw that online but was wondering about the releasing in Ireland bit as I thought Heisenberg said it was due out in ireland but on a re-read it was actually a question.

I sincerly doubt it will be due to licencing unless UPC get into the quad play (tv, broadband, home and mobile phone) market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Anyone have issues with the Remote Control, in particular volume control and mute functions. Neither work yet have no issues with any other functions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Anyone have issues with the Remote Control, in particular volume control and mute functions. Neither work yet have no issues with any other functions.

I think you are supposed to program your remote to send a signal direct to the TV (as opposed to the horizon box) and so the remote needs to know the make/model of your TV. I think there are instructions that come with it. If you post the exact make/model of the TV someone here might give you step by step instructions or search this thread by hitting the search thread for other posts about the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

zg3409 wrote: »
    I think you are supposed to program your remote to send a signal direct to the TV (as opposed to the horizon box) and so the remote needs to know the make/model of your TV. I think there are instructions that come with it. If you post the exact make/model of the TV someone here might give you step by step instructions or search this thread by hitting the search thread for other posts about the remote.

Interesting, I still have the instructions but found setting up easy (or so I thought so never looked at that section. will look later, thanks.

see here, skip to step 2 to set up the remote volume to work on the TV:
    http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/626/~/pairing-your-horizon-tv-remote-control

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

can a cable modern be connected to the horizon box to improve wifi signal

It depends on how it is set up. If you no longer use your cable modem, and the cable modem is just unconnected and unused you have "consolidated" your system to one box.

If you are using the cable modem and present and the horizon is using the cable modem for internet access then you are "un-consolidated".

Basically it could be possible to use the old modem, if it has wifi, to extend the range. However in general I would suggest you go out and buy a dedicated Wifi access point and use that instead. You should also run a Cat5 computer cable between the new Wifi access point and the horizon and mount the Wifi access point in the middle of the house.

In this way you only have one wifi source, and it gives even coverage of every room.

What exactly are your wifi issues and what is your setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

UPC normally take back your old equipment if you upgrade to Horizon. Least they did with mine.

Not sure if you can use those cable modems as a stand alone wifi unit i.e connected to a Horizon box in bridge mode or whatever you call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Is there any way to stream the channels from the box to media servers? The media server is visible on my PS3 and my WMP, however, it says unsupported on my PS3 server and on WMP it simply doesn't load in any channels. Any solutions for either / preferably both devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

brainiac wrote: »
    Is there any way to stream the channels from the box to media servers? The media server is visible on my PS3 and my WMP, however, it says unsupported on my PS3 server and on WMP it simply doesn't load in any channels. Any solutions for either / preferably both devices?
    Nope doesnt work

Pity, would be a nice way to use multiroom with no smart TV or extra box. Any reason why the media servers are visible if they cannot be accessed?

In the web gui turn ON upnp and multicast (http://192.168.192.1 admin:admin), reboot the box

also ensure that the ONLY DHCP server is the horizon box and that all your components have a 192.168.192.x address.

You may well have statically set one of your devices to a 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x address

• Advertisement

In the web gui turn ON upnp and multicast (http://192.168.192.1 admin:admin), reboot the box

also ensure that the ONLY DHCP server is the horizon box and that all your components have a 192.168.192.x address.

You may well have statically set one of your devices to a 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x address

Can you elaborate a little further? I have the settings changed over, rebooting the modem soon now once recordings have finished.

How can I ensure other DHCP servers are inactive? Why must the IP's be static to the home address? Purely for home network recognition?

Do any changes have to be made on the box interface itself?

Also, what have you used this with then? VLC or similar? Any known way to get it to function correctly on PS3 or else take the media stream from horizon, run it through PC and restream it to the PS3 or something like that?

Thanks for your help so far either way mate, much obliged!

You'll know if you have another DHCP running if devices are set to automatic addressing and have IP addresses other then 192.168.192.X

If you have set static IP's in the past the old UPC modems and eircom ones use the 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x ranges. I don't know why they chose to use a different address range for horizon.

Just change these to be 192.168.192.x IP's or set to automatic and restart them and make sure you have the correct address.

Ips on different ranges simply cant talk to each other.

I just watch content on my Home network using a smart TV and also via the horizon box on a non smart TV. Media is shared on a PC using Twonkey.

You'll know if you have another DHCP running if devices are set to automatic addressing and have IP addresses other then 192.168.192.X

If you have set static IP's in the past the old UPC modems and eircom ones use the 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x ranges. I don't know why they chose to use a different address range for horizon.

Just change these to be 192.168.192.x IP's or set to automatic and restart them and make sure you have the correct address.

Ips on different ranges simply cant talk to each other.

I just watch content on my Home network using a smart TV and also via the horizon box on a non smart TV. Media is shared on a PC using Twonkey.

All my listed devices on the modem web UI seem to be set to 192.168.192.X's right now, 4 with DHCP leases but all in the same range.

I think everything is set up correctly right now, I can gain access to the streams in VLC and WMP, but somewhere along the line from box to pc it is getting blocked. If I try open any of the channels from VLC, I get an error saying "VLC is unable to open the MRL '192.168.192.2'. Check the log for details." Any idea why this could be happening and where the fault may lie?

'192.168.192.2' is the horizon box itself, '192.168.192.1' is the cable modem.

AHHHH, I get what you're trying to do :) no, you cant do that. You will be able to see some stuff on that box but its all encrypted and you cant play it.

'192.168.192.2' is the horizon box itself, '192.168.192.1' is the cable modem.

AHHHH, I get what you're trying to do :) no, you cant do that. You will be able to see some stuff on that box but its all encrypted and you cant play it.

I know that, was trying to get a connection to the box itself.

Yeah, that was it, that's such a pity, would love to be able to stream the channels over media server. All the other media connections are perfectly functional sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

Apologies if this question has been asked a thousand times already!!

I just got the Horizons set top box yesterday. TV working fine and my phone and laptop have both picked up the wireless, but my problem is the home group. It says the homegroup is set up through my Horizons Box but when I go to join the group from my laptop I get nothing, I've changed all settings to allow access and media sharing, but still no prompt to join homegroup.

any ideas?

homegroup has nothing to do with the Horizon box, its a windows thing AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

homegroup has nothing to do with the Horizon box, its a windows thing AFAIK

Sorry on the Horizons Box it is Home Network not Homegroup, and it says this is set up successfully. I want my laptop to join this network so I can share movies etc. It already is on the network for wireless connection just not for sharing.

On my laptop (windows starter 7) when I go to Network & Sharing Centre, Choose Homegroup & Sharing Options it says 'There is currently no homegroup on your network', but should this not be where the Horizons box is detected for sharing?
    I have done a lot of troubleshooting on this and made fixes and enables in Administration Tools, Adapter settings and Advanced settings but still no joy.

One thing I wondered about is the manufacturer for the UPC/Horizons box, is Broadcom right?

totally flummoxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

One thing I wondered about is the manufacturer for the UPC/Horizons box, is Broadcom right?

Samsung

• Advertisement

Sorry on the Horizons Box it is Home Network not Homegroup, and it says this is set up successfully. I want my laptop to join this network so I can share movies etc. It already is on the network for wireless connection just not for sharing.

On my laptop (windows starter 7) when I go to Network & Sharing Centre, Choose Homegroup & Sharing Options it says 'There is currently no homegroup on your network', but should this not be where the Horizons box is detected for sharing?
    I have done a lot of troubleshooting on this and made fixes and enables in Administration Tools, Adapter settings and Advanced settings but still no joy.

totally flummoxed.

ok, so yea, Your PC need to have a homegroup setup to share your windows media player library but the Horizon box streams using DLNA, it doesnt need to be part of your homegroup, nor can it be, it not being a windows PC and all...

So First things first, make sure you have a library to share :)

open windows media player and ensure your media is there. This is what windows shares. If its not, add the folders you want to share to your windows media library, theres several ways to do this. Easiest is to right click on the Music, Videos or Pictures and in the properties add the folders that have media in them.

Next in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center goto homegroup and set one up.

You dont have to share media with your homegroup but you can if you want.

Then in:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

goto media streaming options:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Media streaming options

make sure media streaming is turned on.

In here you shoudl also see a list of devices your PC can see on the network. Make sure to tick the box or click the drop down to allow either all devices or at a mimimum the horizon box to see your media.

And that should be it.

You could also install twonkey, theres a whole section about that in the UPC help on their website and if you log into your My UPC you also get a free licence key for the full version of Twonkey!!

Advertisement