Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

Hmmm tasty the possibility of a replay function coming to Horizon - yes please!!

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/11/18/upc-cablecom-starts-replay-function/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

tehPOK wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been said before, but I've been trying to connect my laptop and phone to the Horizon Box wireless internet but the box doesn't seem to be visible to either device. The apps on the box itself work, so the internet works.

Any suggestions?
    Check the channel the box is broadcasting on and change it to 11 save and check then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

seanie27 wrote: »
    Hmmm tasty the possibility of a replay function coming to Horizon - yes please!!

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/11/18/upc-cablecom-starts-replay-function/

It is planned for somewhere in 2014...
    And in contradiction of the article it is NOT free of charge but the Swiss have to pay from SFR 0.60 to SFR 1.80 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

WoodenShoe wrote: »
    It may as well be planned for 2024. We are still waiting for the android app that was due in 2013 and the release date has been continually pushed out.

I won't be holding my breath ....

WoodenShoe wrote: »
    And in contradiction of the article it is NOT free of charge but the Swiss have to pay from SFR 0.60 to SFR 1.80 per month.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Aoibhe1

Bistoman wrote: »
    OK issue solved, Low battery power.
    Looks like the qwerty remote eats the battery's. I have the remote since it first came out, about 3 months so that's not great. The Box may be low power but the remote,s not .

Also is anyone having broadband issues? I have a new laptop with Windows 8 and cant get more than 35 mb, I'm supposed to be on 150 mb.
    An engineer came out and checked His laptop with win 7 and got 145, But I cant get anyware near this, Any Help / Suggestions??

How do i change the batteries on the UPC horizon remote! The same thing is happening to me with the lock button

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Does anyone know if the LG / Horizon Box conflict thing has been sorted?

The one that stops the UPC remote from working properly and the box going very slow when you use the internet on your LG TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zg3409

UPC claims 30,000 sign-ups for Horizon digital TV service
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/34984-upc-claims-30-000-sign-ups

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Anyone know how long should i wait before they pick up my faulty H box I cancelled when it went live they said up to 90 days it must be well over that now.
    Do i get to keep it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dohboy

Possible idiotic question alert. Can I live stream using Twonky to the Horizon box? Or can this be done with another program? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Hootanany wrote: »
    Anyone know how long should i wait before they pick up my faulty H box I cancelled when it went live they said up to 90 days it must be well over that now.
    Do i get to keep it ?
    Nope, it still belongs to them, hold onto it in case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Can i charge them rent?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭cassette50

PeteK* wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the LG / Horizon Box conflict thing has been sorted?

The one that stops the UPC remote from working properly and the box going very slow when you use the internet on your LG TV.

No solution yet. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Does anyone know if the horizon box can be put into bridge mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

It does NOT support bridge mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭millgate1

I absolutely despise this damned box! I can't get a decent connection unless sitting right beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

millgate1 wrote: »
    I absolutely despise this damned box! I can't get a decent connection unless sitting right beside it.

Yes it is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Hi Guys,

UPC have informed me of a 140€ installation fee.. On the website this is not quoted anywhere.

Can anyone help?

Derra

• Registered Users Posts: 1 flanno19

Having trouble with the WiFi connectivity, keeps dropping randomly on phone and laptop, only comes back when i turn WiFi off and then on for my devices...not impressed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

derra_121 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

UPC have informed me of a 140€ installation fee.. On the website this is not quoted anywhere.

Can anyone help?

Derra

don't bother, its a piece of crap that they won't bother improving. They will however take your comments on board.

If you want to record a series prepare for every episode of every series to be recorded multiple times.
    If you want to stream from your pc prepare to have to stop and start three or four times per hour and be randomly disconnected.
    If you want to see whats on tv prepare to have to laboriously scroll through each channel one at a time and only seeing now and next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

derra_121 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Can anyone help?

Derra
    What are they installing?
    All I did was plugged it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

PeteK* wrote: »
    What are they installing?
    All I did was plugged it in!

Thats what I thought. I have the cable in my sitting room ready to install but they insisted a technician come out and do the install. I am going to call them today and question this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

sweetie wrote: »
    don't bother, its a piece of crap that they won't bother improving. They will however take your comments on board.

If you want to record a series prepare for every episode of every series to be recorded multiple times.
    If you want to stream from your pc prepare to have to stop and start three or four times per hour and be randomly disconnected.
    If you want to see whats on tv prepare to have to laboriously scroll through each channel one at a time and only seeing now and next.

Seriously.. how the f*k was this released?? Everything about it is wrong.

- The qwerty keyboard is basically never used as searching for anything on youtube is so laborious.. ENTER button selects qwerty key on screen instead of as a search function - so why bother having the qwerty keyboard! Its bizarre.. On top of that the search results are generally all over the place and you can't filter.
    - Press ok button - options to INFO, RECORD or PAUSE the current channel - wtf? So I'm going to press OK f'ing twice to PAUSE the current channel I'm on when theres already a PAUSE button on the remote? Not to mention how counter-intuitive pressing OK OK to pause a channel is.
    - Having two seperate screens to view NOW and NEXT?? How, how, how could someone think that was a good idea??
    - If you're going to add a feature where previews of whats on a different channel come up... you had better do it fast. Or at the very least, give the option to not wait for the preview to come up, and allow the user to move on channel without waiting...
    but NO.. horizon designers decided to hold the current screen until the video loads, before acknowledging further button presses.
    - I'll also throw in.. not being able to skip more than one channel ahead when searching, not being able to skip more than 30s ahead.
    - Everything might be somewhat bareable.. but in this day and age, when RF remote controls send data 1000's of times faster than IR remote controls... can the User Interface be so slow!!? Its bind boggling..

Luckily - this was what I experienced in a friends house. I still have the old box :).
    I can't understand how that box was released.

Giruilla wrote: »
    - If you're going to add a feature where previews of whats on a different channel come up... you had better do it fast. Or at the very least, give the option to not wait for the preview to come up, and allow the user to move on channel without waiting...
    but NO.. horizon designers decided to hold the current screen until the video loads, before acknowledging further button presses.

My box does not do this????? In fact i cant remember the last time ive seen the screen in screen preview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I think the Preview comes up if you've paused at some point then clicked play, when you hit Back the Preview shows what's "Live" on the current channel.

It also comes up if you hit Up/Down on the Now & Next menu, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fermi-paradox

Has something changed in the interpretation of the DNS server setting on the horizon box.
    Since I got it and for so long on other boxes I can't remember, I have had the DNS servers set to OpenDns which let me filter stuff. The DHCP server in horizon faithfully passed those on to all connected devices.
    I was having a tidy up today and I noticed my devices using the Horizon box's IP as their DNS and OpenDns no longer working.
    I am not a naif in this area and I so far cannot get things back the way they were.
    This has the potential to make me shout rude things at UPC if they have made DNS non customisable.

Has something changed in the interpretation of the DNS server setting on the horizon box.
    Since I got it and for so long on other boxes I can't remember, I have had the DNS servers set to OpenDns which let me filter stuff. The DHCP server in horizon faithfully passed those on to all connected devices.
    I was having a tidy up today and I noticed my devices using the Horizon box's IP as their DNS and OpenDns no longer working.
    I am not a naif in this area and I so far cannot get things back the way they were.
    This has the potential to make me shout rude things at UPC if they have made DNS non customisable.

So you want the horizon box to assign opendns as a dns primary or secondary server via DHCP or an I misreading what you are trying to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fermi-paradox

So you want the horizon box to assign opendns as a dns primary or secondary server via DHCP or an I misreading what you are trying to do?

Yes, exactly both in fact, which is what it has been doing up until recently.
    I'm trying to narrow down when it stopped working,
    I was happy with the way it was setup and hadn't been near any of these settings for a couple of months.
    I was wondering if anyone with similar setups had noticed the same before I start banging my head against the help desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Yes, exactly both in fact, which is what it has been doing up until recently.
    I'm trying to narrow down when it stopped working,
    I was happy with the way it was setup and hadn't been near any of these settings for a couple of months.
    I was wondering if anyone with similar setups had noticed the same before I start banging my head against the help desk.

Not sure about DNS, but it's caused big problems with openVPN and SIP for me. There seems to be some weird port blocking that has no off option. Terrible box.

-JP

Advertisement