Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

Thanks for the response. I am going to try these things tonight and also look into the Twonkey. much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

I'm having a few issues with this Horizon box and i thought someone might be able to help me in this thread (upc have had me on hold for 45 mins so I gave up). First one is that the picture on the tv intermittently turns a kind of green colour. This can only be resolved by unplugging and plugging back in the hd cable but it shouldn't happen in the first place. Second issue is that i'm on 200mb broadband but when I go to speedtest.net the result invariably comes up as 30mb. Third one is that torrents are downloading slower than on my old box, does this have something to do with a setting on the modem and would I have to log in to the modem and change it? Thanks to anyone who can help me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

roro1990 wrote: »
    I'm having a few issues with this Horizon box and i thought someone might be able to help me in this thread (upc have had me on hold for 45 mins so I gave up). First one is that the picture on the tv intermittently turns a kind of green colour. This can only be resolved by unplugging and plugging back in the hd cable but it shouldn't happen in the first place. Second issue is that i'm on 200mb broadband but when I go to speedtest.net the result invariably comes up as 30mb. Third one is that torrents are downloading slower than on my old box, does this have something to do with a setting on the modem and would I have to log in to the modem and change it? Thanks to anyone who can help me

Did you speedtest on wifi or on cable? 30 or thereabouts is what I get on wifi.

Don't think you'll get much joy asking UPC about torrents. Unless of course it is legal content.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 niall2701

Got Horizon, was NOT impressed, it's too fiddely, the layout is awful and you can't watch one channel and find out what happening on other channels. Because of this I went back to my old set top box and separate modem. I was surprised that when I asked if I could have my old box back I wasn't asked "WHY".

On a side note as a loyal UPC customer I was given a 200mb internet connection but needed to upgrade my network card in my laptop in order to get higher speeds ( I know I'll NEVER get 200mb on a wi-fi connection).

If they fix the layout issues and the channel surfing issues I'll probably go back.

Originally Posted by roro1990 View Post

had the same issue as the speed actually went DOWN with horizon and i had to reset the wi-fi connection on tablet and phone about 10 times a day ( Never had to do that once with the old set up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

niall2701 wrote: »
    Got Horizon, was NOT impressed, it's too fiddely, the layout is awful and you can't watch one channel and find out what happening on other channels. Because of this I went back to my old set top box and separate modem. I was surprised that when I asked if I could have my old box back I wasn't asked "WHY".

On a side note as a loyal UPC customer I was given a 200mb internet connection but needed to upgrade my network card in my laptop in order to get higher speeds ( I know I'll NEVER get 200mb on a wi-fi connection).

If they fix the layout issues and the channel surfing issues I'll probably go back.

You can press back to bring up the now next channel par and use the up/down arrows to change whats displayed without changing the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

This method works but is pretty slow.
    Almost a second delay when browsing from channel to channel on the EPG.

Hopefully a firmware update will fix this as it is a pretty important aspect of TV viewing

dubrov wrote: »

Hopefully a firmware update will fix this as it is a pretty important aspect of TV viewing

We have been waiting for said firmware upgrade since the original horizon trial began. Don't hold your breath.

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Did you speedtest on wifi or on cable? 30 or thereabouts is what I get on wifi.

Don't think you'll get much joy asking UPC about torrents. Unless of course it is

legal content.

I get 30MB on wi-fi, haven't done a wired test. also my parents are still avid users of teletext but since we got the new box the analog channels have disappeared on our tv and thus no more aertel. anyone know how to get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Laird

RTE aertel can be received on rte+1 (CH 107) on the horizon box.

• Advertisement

Laird wrote: »
    RTE aertel can be received on rte+1 (CH 107) on the horizon box.

cheers for that!

Are you talking about the now/next ( well, really just the now) updating or the screen-in-screen thingy? I can go through the channels pretty quickly if I dont wait for the screen thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

Are you talking about the now/next ( well, really just the now) updating or the screen-in-screen thingy? I can go through the channels pretty quickly if I dont wait for the screen thingy.

On the old black digital+ box I could press OK and then left/right and go through about 4 channels a second.

On Horizon, the same process takes about 3 seconds.

I don't wait for the video screen-in thingy to load but the epg won't move on until it is just about to appear anyway. So waiting for screen-in thingy doesn't really make much of a difference to performance.

Wow, I couldn't find out how to replicate the "old" way of surfing. ie If I'm watching RTE 1 I can press ok and bring up the info on screen. Using the arrows I could surf in a few seconds up to eg Sky living and then go through what programs are coming up for the rest of the day. Find something I like, set it up to record and then head on up to Discovery and see what the next 5 programs are. ALL WITH OUT LEAVING RTE1

I couldn't figure out how to do that with Horizon. I could find "Whats on Now" ok by calling up the info bar and using the arrows. If you paused for a few milliseconds the info bar disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Wow, I couldn't find out how to replicate the "old" way of surfing. ie If I'm watching RTE 1 I can press ok and bring up the info on screen. Using the arrows I could surf in a few seconds up to eg Sky living and then go through what programs are coming up for the rest of the day. Find something I like, set it up to record and then head on up to Discovery and see what the next 5 programs are. ALL WITH OUT LEAVING RTE1

I couldn't figure out how to do that with Horizon. I could find "Whats on Now" ok by calling up the info bar and using the arrows. If you paused for a few milliseconds the info bar disappears.

You can press the "Guide" button, But it obscures the complete screen. And You cant scroll trough the pages like you could on the old system,It can take some time to get from RTE to MGM.
    One thing You found was if you press the "Back" button and then Press the up or down arrow You can brose the channels with picture in picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭your desired user name

Anyone having problems with twonky?

Have been using it without any problem for the last few months.

Have un-installed and re-installed using the upc link to download and product key.

A day later and the same problem. See attcahed

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Bistoman wrote: »
    You can press the "Guide" button, But it obscures the complete screen. And You cant scroll trough the pages like you could on the old system,It can take some time to get from RTE to MGM.
    One thing You found was if you press the "Back" button and then Press the up or down arrow You can brose the channels with picture in picture.

Anyone else finding that the Guide only shows the next 2 shows and Program not available is in every other hourly slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭derekbro

Anyone having problems with twonky?

Have been using it without any problem for the last few months.

Have un-installed and re-installed using the upc link to download and product key.

A day later and the same problem. See attcahed

Any ideas?

Thanks
    I'm also having problems with twonky on the horizon box for at least a week. It sees twonky as a server but does not show a list of anything when i select it, it crashed the horizon box the last time i tried to use it.
    I have a smart TV and streaming is fine to that using twonky so it must be something up with the horizon box.

derra_121 wrote: »
    Anyone else finding that the Guide only shows the next 2 shows and Program not available is in every other hourly slot?

You need to put your box into standby and let it do a maintance to download the guide ( it does it automaticly after 10-20 mins or so). Do you switch your box off at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

You need to put your box into standby and let it do a maintance to download the guide ( it does it automaticly after 10-20 mins or so). Do you switch your box off at night?

No I generally dont switch off at night. Should I? Will it automatically do a maintenance update if I put it in standby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

derra_121 wrote: »
    No I generally dont switch off at night. Should I? Will it automatically do a maintenance update if I put it in standby?
    It will do a maintenance update after about 15 minutes after you put it into standby. I strongly advice you to put the box into standby if you don't use it to watch TV (or so).

Didn't you set the "Standby power usage"?
    Menu -> Toolbox -> Settings -> Horizon Box -> Power Management

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Ah, I was wondering what it was doing. The light at the front goes red and the fans kick into overdrive for a few minutes. Good to know, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

Got horizon last week after 3days box kept freezing havta reboot good 5/6 times get it work again next day same thing guy came out today to fix it said cudnt see any prob bt gave me new box anyway worked for an hour after he left then the new box freezing tried reboot stuck on installation on front of box no picture on screen for last hour tried turning on/off nothing happens

Do you have a large media library shared on your network?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Well I had to give in last week, The Wifi went to krap so I had to de consolidate the system and return to the separate modem, Its working great now but I think it will kill the whole Horizon thing if these glitches continue. I hear I'm just one of many who has had to do this. The promise was so good, its a pity they cant live up to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

Do you have a large media library shared on your network?

Is this for me if so no I don't

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

derekbro wrote: »
    I'm also having problems with twonky on the horizon box for at least a week. It sees twonky as a server but does not show a list of anything when i select it, it crashed the horizon box the last time i tried to use it.
    I have a smart TV and streaming is fine to that using twonky so it must be something up with the horizon box.
    Having trouble with twonky too. Streaming movies don't appear in proper format ie 16:9. Anyone else having this or have a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

I have the same issue, no more that the current and next programme for all channels.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I just got Horizon and I cant believe you cant do this anymore :mad:

Absolutely infuriating, I wish I had my old box back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

shocking how slow it is, its the most important aspect of browsing

Advertisement