Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotham (Fox) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well that was the show's strongest episode by far, despite any continuing problems well-mentioned by a broken record like myself :) That it was the best episode probably had a lot to do with the simple addition of a little characterisation into proceedings: Detective Bullock's background with the case and the reveal that he was once the 'white knight' added some desperately needed depth, even if it was a fairly clichéd variant. It was also the first time we got to see him do some actual detective work, instead of acting like a thuggish buffoon.

The usual criticisms applied here of course: laughable exposition, terrible dialogue, the needless inserts with Bruce Wayne, poor side characters; but if this episode is the start of an upward curve, that's a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Very good episode this week. Its getting better each week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squonk

Good episode and the last few minutes actually ramped things up nicely for next week and hopefully the rest of the season too I thought. While it was overall a good episode by Gotham standards so far, it was a fairly poor to average episode by the standards of other TV shows in the genre. Speaking of that, did anyone else notice the building in one of the city scape scenes with a giant green Q on the side of it? I thought that was a nice touch!

I think they've really bungled the rogues gallery aspect of the show and are continuing to bungle it. Edward Nigma drinking from the cup with the giant ? on it was just brash. It might have been ok as a 5 second glimpse shot but the camera lingered on it and, if that wasn't obvious enough, went back to linger again. I could practically hear the director/writers screaming "HEY! SEE THIS GUY? YEAH, HE'S GOING TO BECOME RIDDLER! YEAH! SERIOUSLY HE IS! LOOK! WE'LL SHOW YOU AGAIN! DO YOU STILL SEE IT? YEAH, HE'S GOING TO BECOME RIDDLER! BY THE WAY DID WE MENTION THAT EDWARD NIGMA BECOMES THE RIDDLER. EDWARD NIGNMA... HE'S THE RIDDLER MAN!"

Just stop already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Need a new show after Boardwalk Empire finished up? This worth getting in to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

This weeks episode had another dig at therapy and therapists and that, combined with Thomas Wayne's bizarre "no grief therapy for Master Wayne" clause, outlined in the Selina Kyle episode, makes me wonder, is there some Scientology vibe going on in the show? Scientology being vehemently against psychiatry and psychology.

Wasn't there some sort of ongoing subtext about Scientology in "The Mentalist" as well? I wonder is Bruno Heller into it or just ripping into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I wonder how far they can go with this series. I mean they're doing well developing Penguin's origin, and also have Selena Kyle and Edward Nigma, but are we going to see other origins as well. Like a younger Joker or Harvey Dent. Although I reckon if they do, they will probably be in a future series like 2 or 3 depending on how far the show goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I wonder how far they can go with this series. I mean they're doing well developing Penguin's origin, and also have Selena Kyle and Edward Nigma, but are we going to see other origins as well. Like a younger Joker or Harvey Dent. Although I reckon if they do, they will probably be in a future series like 2 or 3 depending on how far the show goes.

An actor has been cast for Dent and I think they said the Joker will appear at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Watched the first 6 episodes last night and i really enjoyed it, loving Penguins character, should have held off and watched the full season in a block because i hate waiting for new episodes of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Jeez the mob war was disappointing in this episode. The show is just too full of wacky characters (e.g. the Russian assassin in this episode), the conflict between the two groups just came off as hilarious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The somewhat pointless henchwomen of Victor Zsasz were utterly ludicrous looking, straight out of the Joel Schumacher Batman films, but otherwise it was a steady enough episode; feels like the show is becoming 'adequate', which by the standards so far is a marked improvement. Cobblepot's definitely the strongest performer in all of this, finding a fairly deft balance between the straight-faced and the comic; it's a shame the rest of the cast still wheel randomly between those two poles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

2 very good episodes, with Zsasz being a particular highlight, he has the potential to be an explosive and unpredictable character.

The GCPD was another strongpoint in seeing how useless they are and how alone Gordon really is. I wouldn't rule out Bullock selling him out either.

The show seems to be getting into its rhythm now and hopefully it keeps going in the right direction, though I still think 22 episodes is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Agree on the 22 episodes point, it will be very drawn out, a 10-12 run for the first season would have been good to introduce the characters and end on a cliffhanger, one of the background storyline arcs between Gordon and Bullock in the comics is Harvey sides with Jim after causing him to have a heart attack which wouldn't really make too much sense in the setting of the show, I think they have done this storyline in their own way in this weeks episode given that Harvey sided with Jim in taking on Falcone and the Mayor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

2 very good episodes, with Zsasz being a particular highlight, he has the potential to be an explosive and unpredictable character.

The GCPD was another strongpoint in seeing how useless they are and how alone Gordon really is. I wouldn't rule out Bullock selling him out either.

The show seems to be getting into its rhythm now and hopefully it keeps going in the right direction, though I still think 22 episodes is a problem.

Kind of think Bullock sold out Gordon in episode one when he thought he had gotten Gordon to murder someone on a gangsters say-so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I thing this is turning into a good show. I didn't think I would like it but I think bullock and Gordon are a good pair together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

So the girl working as a housemaid for Falcone is Harley Quinn right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

ShaneU wrote: »

I doubt it.

Harley Quinn Origin spoiler
    Wasn't Harley Quinn a physiatrist at Arkham Asylum? Then she fell in love with the Joker and went all loopy?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

She's the one Fish hired to act as Falcone's mother, or whatever the plan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

The Don Falcone actor is brilliant, favourite character in this along with Penguin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Raf32 wrote: »
    The Don Falcone actor is brilliant, favourite character in this along with Penguin.

That's John Doman, also excellent as Rodrigo Borgia in Borgia and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Melodeon wrote: »
    That's John Doman, also excellent as Rodrigo Borgia in Borgia and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Also the hero that is Rawls in the wire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I doubt it.

Harley Quinn Origin spoiler
    Wasn't Harley Quinn a physiatrist at Arkham Asylum? Then she fell in love with the Joker and went all loopy?
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    She's the one Fish hired to act as Falcone's mother, or whatever the plan is.

She called Falcone "Mr.F"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I know they might be taking some liberties with some characters, but giving Harley that kind of origin story would be taking it too far. You just can't change her origin story. Also, her "real" name is Harleen Quinzel. Don't think they'd change that.

That's a pretty tenuous link; it's just a tic of dialogue, I'd scarecely hang my hat on it being a clue. Though I'm struggling to remember what the girl's name really is: I know she's supposed to be a Trojan Horse, but still.

I imagine if she appears it'll be as a doctor in the re-opened Arkham asylum. More likely an intern, given she'd be younger in this show than in previous appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

How far can they bring this? I mean they're not going to go as far as bruce to batman are they?

Ok episode, Bruce and Selina were the highlight but as mentioned above, watching them together just makes me think how far they can bring the show. I don't expect to see Batman but I do think a significant time jump will be required at some point, which would be a shame as the two young actors playing Bruce and Selina are very good.

Anyway, what's Gotham without its cringe moments of the week, this week being Dent's "freak out" and the Barbara reveal at the end (they really are doing no favours for the character).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ok episode, Bruce and Selina were the highlight but as mentioned above, watching them together just makes me think how far they can bring the show. I don't expect to see Batman but I do think a significant time jump will be required at some point, which would be a shame as the two young actors playing Bruce and Selina are very good.

Anyway, what's Gotham without its cringe moments of the week, this week being Dent's "freak out" and the Barbara reveal at the end (they really are doing no favours for the character).
    Good episode and the mid season finale is next week. I actually like the guy who is playing Harvey dent he looks like he could be very good in the role. I agree I think there will have to be a time jump at some stage in this show. Also Sean peartwee is very good as alfred

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

As said above, really enjoying Pertwee's Alfred. The scene with the bully last week was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭bren2001

Going to spoiler this, relates to characters appearing/not appearing this season. I didnt want to read it, was annoyed when it flashed up on my FB:
    Harley Quinn will not appear this season. Robin will appear but it will be prenatal.

The show's getting better, and bar the dreadful storyline with Barbara, the plots are beginning to simmer quite nicely - but it's still only ever hitting levels of 'passable' at best.

And the more I've thought of and watched this show, the more I think its creators massively misjudged the shape and direction of its world. I don't mean the tone necessarily, I could just about live with the splashy comicbook styling, but the insistence of DC (and I presume it was pressure from them) to write all the characters at their eventual 'Batman' selves is a hugely missed opportunity to score some easy narrative wins.

For instance, and I think I've said it before, the roles of the two cops really should have been reversed: Bullock being the clean idealist and Gordon the dirty cop; then, similar to the Nolan films charting Gotham's redemption through Bruce Wayne, the TV series could have been about a dirty cop finding redemption through good deeds and slowly fighting the system (for a good example of this, look to Lt. Fusco in Person of Interest; at first the dirtiest of dirty cops, then slowly grows a spine). IMO, that's a far more compelling arc, with better dramatic pay-offs, than this generic, good-guy routine he does, all with absolutely no depth. Oh no, his rich girlfriend has left him. poor Jim. Spare me.

Hell, they shouldn't have killed the Waynes off either; I'm sick of everyone talking of how good and noble they were, how their death triggered something blah blah ... they died within the first 60 seconds of this show: some context to the tragedy would have been nice. Sure, everyone knows the Batman story but it doesn't mean Gotham had to start there. There could have been a dramatic sense of a sword dangling over Thomas Wayne's head as he fought for the city, constantly dodging trouble, only to be cruelly struck down by season's end. Nope, we gotta have the Batman, so kill 'em off.

Oh but hey, look, Harvey Dent's obsessed with betting and likes flipping a coin - what do you think of that Selina, oops, I mean Cat?!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Advertisement