Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotham (Fox) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Can they use any Batman villain they want in this? Would be cool to see Harley Quinn in it at some point.

Nah she's only in it because she falls for the Joker after she's his psychiatrist in Arkham, and Joker won't be in it for a long time, if ever so there's no point putting her in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

They could very well introduce her as a psychiatrist with very questionable boundaries and ethics. It could play well into Gordon's frustration with the system.

They could very well introduce her as a psychiatrist with very questionable boundaries and ethics. It could play well into Gordon's frustration with the system.

She'd be way too young though, no point bringing her in as an adult because by the time Bruce becomes Batman she'd be too old

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Didn't really like the opening episode to be honest. Way too many future villains shoved in.

Dialogue was quite forced and really painful to listen to at times. Looked a bit cheap too especially when Gordon is chasing Ivy's dad and that weird camera shot they decided to use.

I'll give it another episode or two but it can only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

ShaneU wrote: »
    She'd only be about 5 years old in this

Great, she can show up with chocolate smeared all over her face at a circus while waiting to see the clowns and her parents can ask if she wants more pudding. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ridley wrote: »
    Great, she can show up with chocolate smeared all over her face at a circus while waiting to see the clowns and her parents can ask if she wants more puddin. ;)

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I had to read that eight times to find what you fixed.

Then I got it. And laughed. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, while I wasn't blown away by the pilot myself, I'm slightly surprised by the generally negative reaction towards it; it feels a little premature to jump ship from a show this early, before it has had a chance to find its groove. Genre TV in particular need time to establish their universes, and although Gotham's pilot seemed like a lazy & uncreative attempt to lay the groundwork for its own universe, hopefully it'll serve the broader plots so they can grow and unfold organically over the series' run. Hopefully. The pilot had its problems, but I'm willing to give Gotham a chance to limber up and find its own pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno, while I wasn't blown away by the pilot myself, I'm slightly surprised by the generally negative reaction towards it; it feels a little premature to jump ship from a show this early, before it has had a chance to find its groove. Genre TV in particular need time to establish their universes, and although Gotham's pilot seemed like a lazy & uncreative attempt to lay the groundwork for its own universe, hopefully it'll serve the broader plots so they can grow and unfold organically over the series' run. Hopefully. The pilot had its problems, but I'm willing to give Gotham a chance to limber up and find its own pace.

Im not giving up yet but thats mainly because there is so little quality on at the moment. Right this minute, Im watching Stargate Atlantis.

Yeesh, not much better this week. Some truly awful dialogue, If it's not good by next week's episode that's me done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lasted 14 minutes through the first episode and switched it off..

.. horrible dialogue with McKenzie and Logue absolutely hamming it up!

Will wait til mid-season to see if it improves but for the time being, i'm out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Have they said if they are going to keep it realistic (like Nolans Films) or will they bring in supernatural elements?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watched the first one and unlike the others here talking about the dialogue, I don't think that was what .. well, not put me off necessarily (it got better as it went on) but it didn't hook me either. Maybe we've all just been spoiled by the Nolan films?

Will watch the latest one tonight and see how I feel. It's probably not fair to write it off on a pilot alone, but to be honest though, I thought that Scorpion was a lot more entertaining in terms of new shows last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Liked episode 2, settling down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I think the first week was affected by them trying to put far too much into 50 minutes, it really should have been a double episode if they insisted on covering every villian.

Haven't seen the second episode yet, hopefully it improves.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Second episode is a big improvement imo

• Registered Users Posts: 60,299 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I feel it still isn't sure what it wants to be..Dark and Gritty or Comic Book Camp and it's stuck in the middle at the moment.

That is fair enough I believe it takes time to build new versions of character we all know.

I won't write it off till at least midseason when it should be starting to find it feet.

Unlike Agents of Shield which was held back story wise because of the bigger MCU story Gotham doesn't anything holding back.

Episode 2..Did anyone else notice the hints that Bullock was this weeks hint at being Joker or was it just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

best thing I took from the 2nd episode is that the parade of characters from episode 1 were shown to be sticking around and not just being ignored til their episode came back. It's one of those shows where I'd imagine enjoying it more sitting down and watching it in a block on netflix so I can see the full journey of the penguin play out.

That said, the main meat of this weeks episode was tasteless, sure it had it's cooky villains but so much was held back that it was just underwhelming.

also is it confirmed they are doing a random potential joker each week?

Hmmm.. still not sure about this. Not much better than last week.

Think I'll give it one more episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The tone is all over the place. It goes from Adam West camp with the two child kidnappers to clockwork orange ultraviolence with the penguin. Elsewhere we have Donal Logue who knowing this is a comic book property seems intent on hamming it up rather then just channelling his terriers character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Better than last week slightly
    Anyone else think it would be better without Bruce Wayne?
    (Really not sure how they will weave that kid in,
    the violence is a bit jarring at times with the overall feel of the show?)
    Thought Selina Kyle was excellent though compared to Bruce
    Ms J Smith seems slightly less wooden....
    Penguin could be v good

An improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hard to watch the mayor without seeing him as his Spin City character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

youngblood wrote: »
    Better than last week slightly
    Anyone else think it would be better without Bruce Wayne?
    (Really not sure how they will weave that kid in,
    the violence is a bit jarring at times with the overall feel of the show?)
    Thought Selina Kyle was excellent though compared to Bruce
    Ms J Smith seems slightly less wooden....
    Penguin could be v good

An improvement

I think the actor playing Bruce is doing a very good job but I agree he should be used sparingly, as in only when Gordon has made a break in his parents murder case. If they continue to shoehorn him into every episode it's going to get old real quick and show a lack of faith from the creators that the show can stand on its own two feet without the boy behind the cowl.

I can see Catgirl getting stashed away at Wayne Manor seeing as she is an eye witness to the murder, hope next weeks background focus is on the Riddler, Penguin was quite good, I hope to see Penguin redeeming himself in the eyes of Falcone by biting the nose off Fish Mooneys face before this is over.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Hard to watch the mayor without seeing him as his Spin City character.

Or as Lucius from Stargate Atlantis or Harvey Corman from Scrubs.. bit weird seeing him play it straight alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm actually liking it so far and the penguin is excellent.Did anyone else think that the well in the scene with the kids was a reference to killer croc? Seemed like it led to the sewers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I must agree with the above sentiments about the scattershot tone, one of Gotham's priorities surely has to be to decide what kind of show it wants to be: grim, pulp Nolan'esque seriousness or goofy, Burton'esque silliness, because at the moment the tone is all over the place and utterly distracting.

You can't swing from the earnest brow-furrowing of Lt. Gordon as he fights the good fight to the pantomime scenery chewing of Jada Pinkett Smith and expect everything to gel. I'm still willing to pass this off as early jitters in the show's lifetime, but it'd want to sort things out quick. I'm not sure whether to blame the writer or the director, but it's probably a combination of the two, leaning more towards the director for failing to set the standard of how scenes should be played out.

Also, I'm not sure who around here watched 'Rome' back in the day, but it's hard to believe the man behind that classic TV series wrote the last couple of episodes: Bruno Heller's dialogue in these stories has wavered between expository and inert, particularly the scenes between Gordon and his girlfriend which were just dead. I'm not sure I could I could stomach 16 episodes of 'I am telling you what I'm thinking and what is happening.'

edit: oh and whoever thought it'd be terribly smart and clever to nickname Selina Kyle 'Cat' should be locked out of the writing room and asked to think about their career choices.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I must agree with the above sentiments about the scattershot tone, one of Gotham's priorities surely has to be to decide what kind of show it wants to be: grim, pulp Nolan'esque seriousness or goofy, Burton'esque silliness, because at the moment the tone is all over the place and utterly distracting.

You can't swing from the earnest brow-furrowing of Lt. Gordon as he fights the good fight to the pantomime scenery chewing of Jada Pinkett Smith and expect everything to gel. I'm still willing to pass this off as early jitters in the show's lifetime, but it'd want to sort things out quick. I'm not sure whether to blame the writer or the director, but it's probably a combination of the two, leaning more towards the director for failing to set the standard of how scenes should be played out.

Also, I'm not sure who around here watched 'Rome' back in the day, but it's hard to believe the man behind that classic TV series wrote the last couple of episodes: Bruno Heller's dialogue in these stories has wavered between expository and inert, particularly the scenes between Gordon and his girlfriend which were just dead. I'm not sure I could I could stomach 16 episodes of 'I am telling you what I'm thinking and what is happening.'

Come on, in Rome he had one of the finest actors in years James Purefoy the man would make a better Mark Antony than Mark Antony, also if that scene with Gordon and Barbara was set in Rome(TV Show) Gordon would have slapped her around and ripped of her clothes, this show will take time to find its feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

When I saw Bruno Heller I read Bruno Ganz :pac:

• Advertisement

Dermighty wrote: »
    When I saw Bruno Heller I read Bruno Ganz :pac:

This will forever be remembered as your downfall mein herr. ;)

Given how the assassin was dressed when killing the Waynes and seeing as so many of the villains from the Batman universe have already been seen I wonder could Ra's Al Ghul and The League of Shadows be the culprits.

Advertisement