Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotham (Fox) [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 09-08-2013 7:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

I would LOVe if HBO could create a 10 episode season Batman show, but focus on Bruce Wayne for the first two/three seasons as he tries to battle corruption the old fashioned way, then then over time turn him into Batman and have that angle.

But Gotham would not be about Bruce Wayne...it could be about multiple characters, The Joker before he becomes him...more grounded in reality a-la Arrow for the first two seasons and then go comic book later on.

But i would just like to see a Gotham tv show...there have been attempts but to no avail, thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

it would be a unbelievable show if it was done right no doubt, the obvious issue is getting the rights to make the show, maybe if the new S.H.I.E.L.D show is a success DC may give the go ahead, but its hard to see them doing anything about batman away from the big screen any time soon, with the superman/batman film in 2015 more than likely being the first of many DC crossover films coming in the next decade,

also its a great idea as you said to have it centered on bruce wayne and show him become batman over 2-3 seasons, but you know there would be so many complaints about it after even a season without seeing batman,

whatever about arrow i think S.H.I.E.L.D is gonna be the show that will decide what kind of path comic book tv shows will take, it high concept on a big network channel, it will prove there is a audience for these kind of show that can justify a large investment, i doubt CW would invest more than $2million in an episode of shows like nikita or arrow, compared to network shows that would pay about $4million an episode, and then cable shows which can get as high as $7million an episode (Game of Thrones),

but id say a batman origin series would definitely be worth the risk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Been tried before with Bruce Wayne TV Show but Batman was kept for the film screen and we got Smallville instead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Dman001 wrote: »
    set between TDK and TDKR so no batman and no bruce wayne, he became a recluse after TDK and wasnt see for years till TDKR, still id watch it :),

CW TBF have done well with Nikita and Arrow and Smallville wasnt really that bad early on, 10 season run generally wane more and more with each passing season, and also there would be less aliens and magic hokey in batman, would love a Showtime, AMC or HBO series being honest though,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Person of Interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Why are you saying person of interest, is that some reference to Batman, or a television show?

don ramo wrote: »
    set between TDK and TDKR so no batman and no bruce wayne, he became a recluse after TDK and wasnt see for years till TDKR, still id watch it :),

CW TBF have done well with Nikita and Arrow and Smallville wasnt really that bad early on, 10 season run generally wane more and more with each passing season, and also there would be less aliens and magic hokey in batman, would love a Showtime, AMC or HBO series being honest though,
    I think to capture the real grit and darkness Gotham brings, it could only be portrayed through the freedom premium cable offers. The reason the Batman games (Arkham Asylum/City) worked so well is because they were marketed towards the more mature market (with a rating of 15+). The CW is too tweeny for my liking.

Why are you saying person of interest, is that some reference to Batman, or a television show?
    probably cause its the closet show on at the moment that would be somewhat what you would expect from a batman show, a vigilante running around town with help from others (the cops, the fixers he knows, others hes helped and finch of course) to solve crimes, not as many gadgets and no mask but as close as you can get really,

I think to capture the real grit and darkness Gotham brings, it could only be portrayed through the freedom premium cable offers. The reason the Batman games (Arkham Asylum/City) worked so well is because they were marketed towards the more mature market (with a rating of 15+). The CW is too tweeny for my liking.
    theyd do a decent job, but a cable channel would allow it to be so much better, arrow being fair is a pretty good show, there is a little do much angsty drama for my liking, but shows like that can survive on channels like the CW if your willing to accept compromise,

Gotham has got the go ahead:
    http://m.digitalspy.ie/ustv/news/a518249/batman-tv-series-gotham-based-on-commissioner-gordon-ordered-by-fox.html

This has so much potential, so really hope they don't mess it up. But I've little hope for Network television, and it does smell of WBs attempt to meet Agents of SHIELD. I don't think it was a coincidence that this was announced the same day AoS aired in the States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Gotham has got the go ahead:
    http://m.digitalspy.ie/ustv/news/a518249/batman-tv-series-gotham-based-on-commissioner-gordon-ordered-by-fox.html

This has so much potential, so really hope they don't mess it up. But I've little hope for Network television, and it does smell of WBs attempt to meet Agents of SHIELD. I don't think it was a coincidence that this was announced the same day AoS aired in the States.

I am liking this. This show sounds like a really interesting take on Gordon.

A spin-off show on him does suggest that using him from the popularity of Batman as a superhero is obviously very clever. I would like to see how this show is being reviewed by everyone who sees it by the viewing public. The Batman series of the 60's was the last ever live action TV series ever made. And this new venture is something that can be very useful for the 1930's era and beyond that.

If there was a possibility of this been shown on RTE Two like AOS; it would be a good idea to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gotham the recently ordered series about the origins of oneday police commish James Gordon, will not only also follow a young Bruce Wayne’s journey to becoming Batman but feature iconic villains Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ugh. Did someone just finish their Smallville boxset?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's disappointing news to me; there's a wealth of stories you can tell from the Gotham police departments, and with Gordon in the middle as the moral centre, struggling on his own against forces inside the force and out, the potential was there for a unique perspective. Now it runs the risk of becoming just another Batman story, or worse: a Smallville clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mightn't be too bad if they leave him towards the side. It's Gotham City, so obviously Bruce Wayne will be involved and around, it'd be kind of weird not to show him, so hoping it's more like a 3rd/4th character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Danny Cannon to direct the pilot....rumour suggets the most expensive pilot in tv history!

Jim Gordon has been cast, Sountland alum Ben McKenzie is set to play the future commissioner Gordon, i never watched sountland and havent heard of him before, but it nice to see some movement on the show,

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/08/ben-mckenzie-gotham/

Jim Gordon has been cast, Sountland alum Ben McKenzie is set to play the future commissioner Gordon, i never watched sountland and havent heard of him before, but it nice to see some movement on the show,

Honestly....not sure what to make of this. No disrespect to Ben Mc, he did an outstanding job on Southland and truely burushed off his early O.C. days.

Its just.....when i picture Jim Gordon, young or not, this actor NEVER sprang to mind!?

I get that this show will be more grounded in reality, ala Nolans films and Arrow, it'll probably be largely proceadural with mini arcs + season arcs.

Lots of easter eggs and early versions of The Joker, Penguin etc.
    But it *needs* to be comicbooky enough to draw in the fanboys....using Almost Human as an example, that show has failed BECAUSE it was played too straight, too proceadural and not enough Sci-Fi or serialised.

Case-of-the-week will kill this show, it needs to be at least semi serialised ala Arrow.

I want this show to succeed but this casting.....:confused: ....guess i have to wait and see what Ben does with the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,299 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Danny Cannon as director I am have expecting CSI Gotham to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Only saw this thread now, this could be brilliant if done correctly and could get a decent amount of mileage out of it. Whens it due to start filming?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CSI Gotham is precisely what this will be at the start because that's the safest path any American cop-centric show takes to get its premise established. No point bombarding the audience with mythology, arcs and twists before they have a chance to ground themselves in its world; it's just basic narrative common sense, especially if you're introducing a cast of characters from the Batman mythology not immediately familiar to Joe Public.

I am curious to know just how 'real' this show will get; the Nolan films famously aimed itself at a more realistic portrayal, dropping the more fantastic and mystical elements from the Batman universe in favour of a grittier, tech-thriller tone; will the TV show go anywhere near the more overtly sci-fi characters like Killer Croc, Clayface and so on?

The best approach would be the one Arrow took and started out with the more feasible, straightforward characters, then started working towards the more outlandish ones once the universe had been built up a little, reinterpreting where necessary.

I'm still not sure that it really works to have these guys operating before there is even a Batman to contend with them though.

well gordon is suppose to be the central character, and bruce wayne wasnt suppose to be in it at all, but they have since changed their minds about that, so that would mean this batman interpretation will be a bit different from the one were used to, i would think gordon is still gonna be the central character, maybe wayne might be in his mid-late teens, and he will approach gordon about his parents murder which will lead to multiple interactions between them,

it would be good to follow the smallville approach and show waynes development into batman, but not actually have him as batman in the show, or maybe after 6-7 seasons, or in the last episode,

i think they might follow S.H.I.E.L.Ds approach and develop characters and bad guys over a season or so, and make it less episodic in season 2, person of interest done that superbly, it went from what you expected to be a procedural for its 6-7 season run, to a very rich in debt story arc, that doesnt seem to be letting up,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Ben McKenzie is brilliant ,he was outstanding in Southland.

Danny Cannon as director I am have expecting CSI Gotham to be honest.

he has done more then that http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134176/

he can do action stuff and proceadural.

jenjenten wrote: »
    he has done more then that http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134176/

he can do action stuff and proceadural.

I know and he has turned his hand to a comic book before with awful Sylvester Stallone Judge Dredd.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is just too good looking :p

http://www.slashfilm.com/gotham-casts-the-penguin-alfred-gordons-boss-and-his-fiance/
    Cobblepot will be played by Walking Dead and Accepted actor Robin Lord Taylor, while Sean Pertwee, who you know from Dog Soldiers and Event Horizon, will play Alfred. Read more casting from the show below.

Variety wrote about the casting, which also includes Zabryna Guevara (Law and Order) as Captain Essen, Gordon’s boss at the Gotham City Police Department, and Erin Richards (Breaking In) as Barbara Kean, Gordon’s finance. If the show follows the Batman history established in the Year One comic story, Essen and Kean could eventually end up at odds.

Here’s how each character is described by the trade, which offers some new information on the show:
    • Cobblepot: ”With the brains of a chess grandmaster and the morals of a jackal, Cobblepot is a low-level psychopath for gangster Fish Mooney, and hides his sadistic lust for power behind an exquisitely polite demeanor.”
    • Alfred: “A tough-as-nails ex-marine from East London, Pennyworth has loyally served the Wayne family. Now, in the wake of their tragic deaths, he’s fiercely protective of the young Bruce Wayne — the boy who will eventually become Batman.”
    • Essen: “Essen balances the two worlds of police and politics with a Machiavellian skill that’s as much corporate litigator as cop.”
    • Kean: “A sophisticated emergency doctor, Kean stands by her husband amid the corrupt world of Gotham.”

Possibly cues from Year One with Sarah Essen and Barbera Kean vying for Gordon's attentions?

Well that at least confirms it'll be set while Bruce is still a young kid & the murder is relatively recent; I wonder with the presence of Pertwee if Alfred'll have a more active role, considering how many action roles are in Pertwee's CV.

• Advertisement

Sean Pertwee as Alfred could be an inspired choice.

Advertisement