Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotham (Fox) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I don't want to read through the thread for fear of ruining it, but I watched maybe the first 20 minutes of the first episode before switching it off because of the awful acting / script. Does it improve much or is it just something you get used to?

There's more agency in the 'plot', but the standards of dialogue / scriptwriting stay about the same, sometimes getting better, but often getting worse. Some of the dialogue has to be heard to be believed. I'd half a mind about jumping back into this show but I just can't summon the interest; I ask myself 'what's the point?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ah sheeeit boy its clay Davis up in here !

I actually think that this has gotten very strong since they were able to stop the really forced introduction of characters, from the Batman universe.

Fish is by far the weak link now. just hams it up too much (even in a hammy show)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

ricero wrote: »
    Ah sheeeit boy its clay Davis up in here !

When he saw the two escaped inmates i was half expecting him to say it

• Registered Users Posts: 85,868 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

brian_t wrote: »
    Gotham starts on RTÉ2 on Monday 26th January at 9.00 pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just started watching over the last few days. All caught up now - so much better than I had anticipated it to be. Alfred and Bullick working together in episode 10 was great...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Since yesterday I heard news that Fox has given the green light for a 2nd series of Gotham.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/17/7629475/fox-gotham-season-2

Please kill off Fish. It's like she took Eartha Kitt's playing of Catwoman as inspiration and decided to ham even that to 11

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Phew, he beat the hardest character from Arkham Origins. :)

So why doesn't Jim live at Barbara's place since she's not using it and clearly she expects him to be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So why doesn't Jim live at Barbara's place since she's not using it and clearly she expects him to be there?
    sure weve known hes gone from there a while now, since kat and ivy stayed there, it was already gathering dust,

i like the new harder jim, we all know gordon is not corrupt, so they tried to play the character nicey nice, but just cause hes not corrupt doesnt mean he cant be a cnut, i loved when he told the commissioner that the next person who takes his badge hes gonna make them eat it,

also, nice shoes:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Finally caught up with it all. There are times when I love this show and times when I feel like screaming at the TV. The latest episode was all over the place, it just felt really off. The Penguin nightclub scenes with his mother dancing and him getting pissed on champagne...wtf?? And Fish's 'torture' scene with yer man was hilariously bad...:pac::pac:

Are we to take it that Fish has disappeared and won't be back for a while? Pity she wasn't killed off completely. Her awfulness highlights how bad the female characters in this show are. Fish (there's nothing else to say that hasn't been said), Liza (wooden as a plank), Barbara (a simpering, whiny cow), Mrs Cobblepot (weird to the point that she's a total distraction). Essen and Selina are just about watchable.

Thankfully they've got it spot on with Penguin, Alfred, Jim (but less of the grimacing please!), Harvey and Falcone so that the show is able to just about keep its head above water. Hopefully the next episode
    The Fearsome Doctor Crane
    can breathe some new life into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I still really havent warmed to McKenzie's portrayal of Gordon, just find him very wooden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Butch is the man !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Penguin's mother is pretty hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Having watched the film recently, it's hard to forget that Penguin's mother is the Ghost of Christmas Present in Scrooged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭squonk

I liked the latest episode but, for god's sake, if you're going to get to the point of apprehending Fish and torturing her, just kill her while you're at it. Better still, don't torture here, just kill her. It's now unfortunate that she'll return.

This though is the precise problem I have with all of these super hero shows. Any time there's a major baddy who is terrorising a city and who is quite adept and poerful there are two options.

a. Kill them
    b. Send them away/Lock them up

Normally option A is the correct option but any bloody comic book based show automatically goes for option B. How can you take them seriously then? Arrow does it, Flash does it and now Gotham does it.

Invariably baddy escapes from incarceration or comes back out of hiding and the city is held to ransom again. It's more like a damn symbiotic relationship than a solution. The baddies keep getting free and coming back so the super hero keeps being needed. If the super hero just killed the bloody baddy to begin with it'd be done and dusted.

Christ imagine if someone just put Omar or Stringer Bell away for a period of time in the Wire somewhere where they were guaranteed to escape and come back with a vengence. It's childish.

It's the difference between the villains and hero. The hero does not dispense justice, it's not his role. Hell Batman is taunted again and again and again by The Joker to break this and he never will. In fact I would see it as the Jokers ultimate victory if Batman ever does kill him.

In the animated JL series you got a glimpse of what would happen if the hero side started doing this, with the Justice Lords
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The alternate Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman try to stop the war, storming the White House and confronting Luthor (who threatens nuclear war). When he tells the alternate Superman that no matter how many times Superman sends him to prison, Luthor would find a way back to power, Superman kills Luthor with heat vision and decides that he likes this new form of "justice". The other Lords also lose faith in humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

I was cringing at some of the dialogue between Gordon and the Doctor in the latest one

Shane St. wrote: »
    I was cringing at some of the dialogue between Gordon and the Doctor in the latest one

You leave Inara alone, ya hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭bren2001

You leave Inara alone, ya hear!

If anything, the show could do with more of her :p Last episode was awful tho,. Penguin managing to escape was plain right stupid (although done in a smart way), Fish's boat being invaded (by who?) and the killer taking the "Irish" girl from directly under Bullocks nose at the meeting. I look forward to the next episode solely based on the title alone.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    If anything, the show could do with more of her :p Last episode was awful tho,. Penguin managing to escape was plain right stupid (although done in a smart way), Fish's boat being invaded (by who?) and the killer taking the "Irish" girl from directly under Bullocks nose at the meeting. I look forward to the next episode solely based on the title alone.

If an American asks another is they are Irish it does not necessarily mean are they from Ireland and the Penguin escape was smart enough to work. And Crane Sr. (and later junior) is a nutjob, he did not care that a cop was present (given that the man spoke about the Crane scale for fear and his son was named Jonathan I am assuming that this was showing the genesis of Scarecrow)
    I actually thought that it was great to see how Scarecrow's fear mist was formulated by taking the adrenal glands chemistry at the time of extreme fear (comic book logic at its best).

I had thought that we were done with Fish but no, still getting her crappy side mission type crap. Seriously the final shot of the episode was stupid.

If an American asks another is they are Irish it does not necessarily mean are they from Ireland

What's your point? I put it in inverted commas for that reason. I couldn't remember the girls name and really was not bothered googling it but so addressed her as the "Irish" girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,497 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think the whole Irish thing was put in just for Donal Logue who is very proud of his Irish heritage and seems to mention it in nearly every show or film he is in.

What's your point? I put it in inverted commas for that reason. I couldn't remember the girls name and really was not bothered googling it but so addressed her as the "Irish" girl.

Because that can also come across as reading like "she was supposed to be Irish but obviously was not"

If an American asks another is they are Irish it does not necessarily mean are they from Ireland and the Penguin escape was smart enough to work. And Crane Sr. (and later junior) is a nutjob, he did not care that a cop was present (given that the man spoke about the Crane scale for fear and his son was named Jonathan I am assuming that this was showing the genesis of Scarecrow)
    I actually thought that it was great to see how Scarecrow's fear mist was formulated by taking the adrenal glands chemistry at the time of extreme fear (comic book logic at its best).

I had thought that we were done with Fish but no, still getting her crappy side mission type crap. Seriously the final shot of the episode was stupid.

Nicely edited....

Penguin stopping the crushing of the car was quite smart. I turned to the person I was watching it with and we both agreed it was somewhat believable. However, why would Maroni run away from the car to chase the operator leaving Penguin free to escape? Surely, he checks that Penguin cannot escape from the car or tries to operate it himself. The operator is completely irrelevant. I also don't understand why we learned that Maroni is "deceptively quick" for a big guy. They seemed to make a big point of it (irrelevant really).

I understand Dr. Crane Snr. is a lunatic and in fairness to the show, Captain Essen blatantly addresses that point. Why would a sociopath give away his identity? I don't think it makes sense. He would still want more victims, remaining anonymous for as long as possible makes sense. How he creates his mist is very good and makes perfect sense in the comic book world.

At least we (all I think) agree on Fish. Please die.....
    Because that can also come across as reading like "she was supposed to be Irish but obviously was not)

It still is completely off topic. Either way, we do not know if she is Irish or not but it is completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

It still is completely off topic. Either way, we do not know if she is Irish or not but it is completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

Yeah but I misread your ""Irish"" as being a "FFS she is not Irish", that's all I was saying.

In terms of Crane, he could have seen it that Bullock was suspecting the groups members anyway and that they would all be investigated. There were no identities given so they just have the description to go on.

I actually hope that Barbara does not come back. They had ZERO chemistry on screen (she can come back in 9 months with a daughter for Jim, if they want)

Thompkins and Gordon really crackle on screen, IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Shane St. wrote: »

TBH , as long as Dana Brody isn't sulking in the background, any scenes involving Morena Baccarin go in the plus column for me. :D

Just watched the first 2 episodes of this. As a fan of Batman and all things Gotham, I thought I'd hate this 'Smallville' interpretation of the universe but I'll definitely be watching more.

It's not perfect or anywhere near it, the dialogue is hammy and I'm already cringing at Jada Pinkett Smith chewing up and overacting every scene she's in, should make it all the better though if/when her character gets killed off. But I do like the look of Gotham and have warmed to some of the characters, notably Gordon, Bullock, Falcone and Penguin. I love that Gotham even has a 'look', first time that's happened since 2005's Batman Begins.

I think the Batman/Bruce Wayne element is handled well. The boy playing Bruce has a bit of gravitas about him and I loved his reply from episode 2 at a concerned Alfred and Jim; "I'm not hurting myself, I'm testing myself." More of that 'Mystery/Anguish bubbling under the surface' stuff will do just fine, no need to rush the Batman angle since Bruce is currently years from putting on the cape.

TL:DR: Just watched the first 2 episodes, pleasantly surprised, looking forward to watching more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Probably the best episode yet tbh. The making of Scarecrow was very well done. Even Fish was ok :D

Advertisement