Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotham (Fox) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,460 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Next weeks trailer.. Big teaser spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

stankratz wrote: »
    Just watched the first 2 episodes of this. As a fan of Batman and all things Gotham, I thought I'd hate this 'Smallville' interpretation of the universe but I'll definitely be watching more.

It's not perfect or anywhere near it, the dialogue is hammy ......

It might sound like a cheesy film noir but I think it would fail miserably if it tried to place itself into a more modern setting. It is set in the time of the dialogue of the comics, where it belongs. Enjoy it's inherent hamminess.

We are too cynical to accept heroes nowadays, anyway.

The characters are (so far) either black and white, good vs evil, no corrupted tortured souls showing up so far, where we are hoping for their personal redemption 'cos they are basically misunderstood by society.

I am in it for the long haul...to watch the slow development of the characters ahgainst the backdrop of some quirky crimes that have to be solved every week.,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

human 19 wrote: »
    It might sound like a cheesy film noir but I think it would fail miserably if it tried to place itself into a more modern setting. It is set in the time of the dialogue of the comics, where it belongs. Enjoy it's inherent hamminess.

The characters are (so far) either black and white, good vs evil, no corrupted tortured souls showing up so far, where we are hoping for their personal redemption 'cos they are basically misunderstood by society.

I am in it for the long haul...to watch the slow development of the characters ahgainst the backdrop of some quirky crimes that have to be solved every week.,

yeah, a lot to be said for some hamminess on tv, i dont think i could accept the old 60/70s style hamminess, its just a bit hard to accept, but this is kind of a more modern style of hamminess that i like, good to see even hamminess rolls with the times :)

human 19 wrote: »

I agree about the dialogue being appropriate for the setting. I'm just about halfway through the 'The Dark Knight Returns' comic as as adult trying to get into the comics after a lifetime of neglect, and the one thing that is throwing me off me so far is some of the dialogue. No I'm not expecting Shakespearean-style language for Batman's soliloquies or Coen Brother's-style humour for the comic relief, it's just taking me a bit of getting used to that's all.

Same with Gotham; I'm just after watching the episode with the 'Weather Balloon Vigilante' and I'm getting used to the dialogue as each episode goes by. However, I don't think I'll ever get used to Jada Pinkett or her character in this show, please end her soon.

I really did enjoy the episode though and am looking forward to the next. I copped the Balloon guy much earlier in the episode when he talked to Gordon about Selina Kyle. The minute that scene finished I thought to myself "Hey, that actor currently has a really prominent role in HBO's 'Veep', those 2 lines of dialogue were hardly worth his time appearing in Gotham...oh...wait!"

Overall, I'm liking the show. I'm not expecting and never did expect this to provide me with a new Breaking Bad or Sopranos, just entertain me. So far it is succeeding on that front, even with its flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I can't stand Bruce or that annoying cat. I want them to be killed but alas I know they don't.

• Advertisement

So I wonder have we met the Joker or is this another red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

thats clearly the joker in that trailer...has to be

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I hope that's not the Joker. Very disappointed if so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hector Salamanca up in here !

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Did notice how ginger the Joker was. Wonder is he related to Paddy in Kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Did notice how ginger the Joker was. Wonder is he related to Paddy in Kilkenny

Is he defiantly the joker ?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

ricero wrote: »
    Is he defiantly the joker ?
    I'm goin out on a limb and sayin yes. I dont read the spoilers but its too obvious for him not to be, plus its the right time to introduce his storyline

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

I liked this week's episode. It was the first one I felt that really seemed like it was set in the Batman universe that I've come to know. The circus and freaky clowns certainly helped that. We also get to meet Dick Grayson's parents!

Was I the only one who figured that showing up at Wayne Industries and basically saying "When I get old enough to chair the board, things are going to change around here", somewhat foolhardy? It's leaving a calling card and anyone who has something to hide (which, by the sounds of it, they all had) will be either out to ensure he doesn't get onto the board or will have exited stage left with bags of money before that day comes.

Another aspect that made this episode for me was the offscreen violence Penguin meated out on the guy heckling his mother. Again it brough things back to the feel of a Batman universe where these guys are seriously screwed up badasses.

Why won't that mob turn on Fish? I thought her gaining control of the place was sketchy at best. Maybe it's just me but when the two guys showed up deciding who would be first to, presumably, rape and beat her, she got out of it by merely telling them she'd beat the crap out of them. She's a tough lady for sure but, come on!

Barbara is back... why? Anyone else find it odd that she arrived back to her house now filled with Ivy and her friends and just goes "Well who are you now?". Jim's traded up. I'm liking Marena Baccarin a lot in this. She's always a great addition to any show but she's giving a stand out performance so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've struggled with this show since the start. While I am a massive batman fan, something seems off to me. I think it's potentially Gordon, I've more interest in the baddies and Gordon just seems to throw me off or something.

But the last two episodes had me gripped. I'm pot committed now. Jonathan Crane I thought was handled very well and well, the joker, it was compelling as it was enthralling. Obviously excited to know how they are going to deal with him, if at all. Certain part of me thinks he won't be a regular feature, if ever again, considering a bit part of the character is the mystery around him.

Really enjoying Edward Nigma in the show, thought his little spat with Penguin was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

if thats the joker then im kinda disappointed, sure yerman isnt the full bob, but i cant see a mastermind in there,

im really liking Lee, shes a good fun character to have around, and as someone said why bring Barbara back, its pointless just move on, a lot of shows keep characters around for no reason, morena baccarin herself was kept around on homeland for no real reason herself,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

The guy playing the Penguin is knocking it out of the park.

If this kid is the Joker I'm okay with it as he did an okay job.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Is there debate he is not? I took nothing away other then he is the joker. If the laugh wasn't enough, the way his eyes and cheeks went during his smile was very Nicholson-esque.

Also seems pretty tight knit to one of the many joker origins stories that appeared over the years through written material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

TheDoc wrote: »
    Is there debate he is not? I took nothing away other then he is the joker. If the laugh wasn't enough, the way his eyes and cheeks went during his smile was very Nicholson-esque.

Also seems pretty tight knit to one of the many joker origins stories that appeared over the years through written material.

I saw Jack in him too! Wise move not to go the Heath Ledger route. The guy is a good actor as well, he plays a gay bi polar member of the Gallagher family in the USA remake of Shameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I immediately thought Jack Nicholson when he changed his demeanour, I really thought he was going to be the ****s but ended up really really enjoying his performance, looking forward to seeing him a bit more in the coming few weeks.

He deffo had Jack about him but there was a mixture of Ledger there too. I was expecting a 'why so serious?' at one stage.

Brave move actually giving the Joker a back story in a series.

• Advertisement

In fact the laugh also had a bit of Hamil (or I'm just imagining it)

A really great episode.

This is the first episode for me that makes me think they can make this show work over multi seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't know how I didn't notice before, but when Selina looked in the mirror, I realised she looks like Selina. Then realised it's because she looks so much like Michelle Pfeiffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

A great episode. I loved the red mask device and how it almost became an entity of it's own. Looking at wikipedia I see the red hood is a 'thing' in the Batman universe. That kind of explains away once aspect of the episode I thought was completely stupid. Gordon points out that the red hood could allow the gang to continue indefinitely as long as someone had the red hood. Fast forward to the end of the episode. Gordon had the red hood in his hands and what does he decide to do? Butn it? Nah. Take it in as evidence? Hell no! He leaves it at the scene DESPITE his reservations about the chance of a crime spree continuing thanks to the iconic mask. FFS! That's just stupid, lazy writing. I'd prefer if a dirty cop removed it from evidence later or something.

Other than that it was a really strong episode. It's a dramatically stronger show now than the one we started with in September.

Finally.. Mooney's eye... ARGH!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Totally agree, the hood just left there on the street was extremely stupid.

Any chance that kid at the end was Anarky?

And what was Reggie's surname mentioned in Wayne Enterprises?

Listened again but not certain but did she call him Mr. Bane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Listened again but not certain but did she call him Mr. Bane?

Sounds like 'Payne' to me.

I even enjoyed Fish's side story. Stripped of hammey swagger and terrified taking serious drastic actions

Jeffrey Combs was great as usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭bren2001

I seem to be going against the grain here but I thought the last episode was one of the worst. The red hood gang were completely pointless. I've no issue with 1 episode arcs but for the whole process, I just felt like it was building to a lot more than some kid picking up the hat at the end. Equally, when casing a joint, who wears their work shirt to it. Also, on the old CCTV on a CRT you would never be able to pick out writing that small. Stupid plotholes that are easily avoided. As a side point, do we know who the kid is?

The Fish storyline, while well acted, was simply ridiculous. Spooning your own eye out is absurd. It obviously made sense that she was not given her demands. I really wish they would just kill her off.

For the Selina stuff, I felt uncomfortable when Barbara was essentially telling her to use her sex appeal to her advantage. She is a kid and again, didn't feel this added much to anybodies character development.

However, the Reggie story line was very smart. The board do need to find out what Bruce knows and the only way into Wayne manor is through Alfred. I certainly didn't see it coming. Equally, the Penguin stuff is top notch as usual.

Advertisement