Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotham (Fox) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

smilerf wrote: »
    Wasn't really feeling that episode. Don't like new Ivy.

One of the weaker characters that's for damn sure.

Obviously Bruce is supposed to be broody when he eventually dons the cape 'n' cowl, but this isn't broody this is just... bratty? Really starting to p*ss me off :mad:
    I'd really like to know where they're going with Butch regaining his memories. Obviously he's gonna have to go into Grundy form permanently at some stage (you would think) but what they're doing with him now is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,378 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Also it doesn't help that the kid playing Bruce can't act.

Also it doesn't help that the kid playing Bruce can't act.

Eh I wouldn't be so harsh as to say he can't, he's just... not great (to put it mildly). He's just too... monotone if you know what I mean? I had hope earlier in the season when he had started donning a mask and climbing rooftops. I'm all for character development, but ever since his run in with Ra's it's just been all completely down hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I love Gotham. Think it's brilliant.

Delighted they go rid if the uncharosmatic ivy and replaced her with a better version to carry a storyline.
    If anything she s too powerful tho.

Really looking forward to bullock and Alfred. Even tho Alfred girl story was rushed.

The narrows is class. Everything good about the show is there

It's good to have bratty Bruce. It'll help his playboy alterego in future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭bren2001

I love Gotham. Think it's brilliant.

Delighted they go rid if the uncharosmatic ivy and replaced her with a better version to carry a storyline.
    If anything she s too powerful tho.

Really looking forward to bullock and Alfred. Even tho Alfred girl story was rushed.

The narrows is class. Everything good about the show is there

It's good to have bratty Bruce. It'll help his playboy alterego in future

That just sums up the show right there. They have some good story lines and character arcs, its a real pity they only last 1-2 episodes.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    That just sums up the show right there. They have some good story lines and character arcs, its a real pity they only last 1-2 episodes.

I don't get you. What good arcs only lasted 1 or2 eps ??

I don't get you. What good arcs only lasted 1 or2 eps ??

Take the Penguin gay story lines from season 3:

Episode 6: At the very end, we find out Penguin is gay.
    Episode 7: He confronts Isabella telling her about Nygmas past.
    Episode 8: He kills her.
    Episode 9: Nygma figures it all out
    Episode 10: He teams up with Barbara and co.

No matter how you spin it, that is an insane pace. There were no indications that he was gay and is a story that could have played out over and entire season. Seeing him begin to realise and become enamored with Nygma. Instead, they effectively wrap it up in 2 episodes.

To have Nygma figure it out in one episode is also ridiculous. Yes he is a genius but Penguin is supposed to be pretty smart himself.

There are countless storylines like this but this was by far the worst handled, in my opinion of course.

The other massive issue the show struggles with is that death means nothing. Seeing a character die is just irrelevant, you know they are coming back.

Take the Penguin gay story lines from season 3:

Episode 6: At the very end, we find out Penguin is gay.
    Episode 7: He confronts Isabella telling her about Nygmas past.
    Episode 8: He kills her.
    Episode 9: Nygma figures it all out
    Episode 10: He teams up with Barbara and co.

No matter how you spin it, that is an insane pace. There were no indications that he was gay and is a story that could have played out over and entire season. Seeing him begin to realise and become enamored with Nygma. Instead, they effectively wrap it up in 2 episodes.

To have Nygma figure it out in one episode is also ridiculous. Yes he is a genius but Penguin is supposed to be pretty smart himself.

There are countless storylines like this but this was by far the worst handled, in my opinion of course.

The other massive issue the show struggles with is that death means nothing. Seeing a character die is just irrelevant, you know they are coming back.

Please for the love of everything DC do not let this be true for Fish.

Although I do hope it's true for
    Falcone

jaxxx wrote: »
    Please for the love of everything DC do not let this be true for Fish.

Although I do hope it's true for
    Falcone

Unfortunately, I'd hazard a guess to say its the situation you don't want. I expect Fish to come back. If
    Falcone
    comes back, its a joke considering the manner of their death.

havent bought into falcones daughter at all so far.

Sure, shes attractive...but as a character...meh

Very unlikable and no charisma.

Absolute opposite to Barbara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

I'm surprised by the reviews of the latest episode. I thought was the most cohesive episode for a long while

havent bought into falcones daughter at all so far.

Sure, shes attractive...but as a character...meh

Very unlikable and no charisma.

Absolute opposite to Barbara

Yeah now she's really starting to tick me off. Cannot believe I'm saying this but I'd rather have Fish back than have her continue on the show. Please let her be killed off by the season's end.

Just seen a trailer on E4 for the new series of Gotham. They are saying that E4 is the new home for it, new season coming soon! Ch5 must have lost the rights!

Recent episode:
    HOW IS SOFIA NOT DEAD??????????????????????? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aside from that, good episode!

Poor Ed

Great episode.

Spoiler above I agree with. Thought they'd done the smart thing

A lot of hand smashing this season.
    Penguin needs to get his mojo back asap. Fantastic actor and character.

Zero affection for that little silent kid. He can go and die soon.

Bit disappointed we didn't get to see the bullock Alfred friendship play out

• Registered Users Posts: 60,378 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For those watching on UK pace.

E4 Picks Up UK Rights To ‘Gotham’ Season 4
    E4 has nabbed the UK rights to Fox’s Batman prequel series Gotham in a deal with international distributor Warner Bros. International Television Distribution. E4’s multi-season deal starts with the fourth season of the series, which is set to premiere next month.

This agreement comes after months of uncertainty with regards to Gotham’s fate here in the UK. Channel 5 initially acquired UK rights to the series in 2014, with Netflix UK taking SVOD rights. After airing the first two seasons, Gotham disappeared from Channel 5’s schedule and season three still has not aired on linear television on this side of the pond (Netflix UK has since made it available to stream).

TVWise understands that while a broadcast will not be forthcoming, Channel 5 retains UK rights to season three. It is not immediately clear why they have been, to quote a source, “unable rather than unwilling” to air the show’s third season. Netflix UK’s position is not impacted by this new agreement and the streaming service will make the fourth season of Gotham available to stream following its linear broadcast window.

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2018/03/e4-picks-uk-rights-gotham-season-4/

Jesus, that was.... intense to say the least!
    The Joker has awoken. I'm feeling a bit disappointed that Jerome didn't turn out to be Joker but this is a refreshing new angle they've taken. Cameron Monaghan seriously needs his own Joker movie. His performance thus far has been unbelieveable, so much so that he's easily up there with Heath Ledger and even Mark Hamill, his performance is almost a hybrid of the two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yep - really enjoy his performances.

It's a hammy show at times (presumably intentional) but I really enjoy the performances of the majority of the leading characters (bar Bruce/Sofia/Fish).

If they could get the writing right it could be amazing. Also think visually the costumes/city looks great - the Gotham of the Nolan/Synder universes are very dull, I like the gothic Burton take on things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What a brilliant introduction for the Joker, he's a genius who's evil twin pushed him to a bad day, introduced loads of the Joker tricks

• Advertisement

Personally thought it was a ridiculous way to introduce the Joker. We had this before when we first met Jerome. At the end of an episode or two he dies and it's proposed that the Joker is an idea more than a person with it cutting to different people laughing. They brought Jerome back to life and started to flesh out his character. There was some motive to everything he was doing. They have bizarrely decided to throw all that in the bin and the Joker will now form out of his non-evil twin brother who was gassed and turned evil. The thing is, this might not even be the case, the impact of death has completely been removed by the showrunners. Jerome could easily be brought back to life like so many characters. I also wonder how many people Gordon has shot and killed at this stage because he is racking them up. This arc really highlights how poorly written this is. Its just needless twist after needless twist.

Some of the small details on the show are extremely annoying. For example, when Gordon is trying to save Jerome its broad daylight, he falls onto the car and dies. By the time Gordon gets down there, its nighttime. Just silly mistakes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally thought it was a ridiculous way to introduce the Joker. We had this before when we first met Jerome. At the end of an episode or two he dies and it's proposed that the Joker is an idea more than a person with it cutting to different people laughing. They brought Jerome back to life and started to flesh out his character. There was some motive to everything he was doing. They have bizarrely decided to throw all that in the bin and the Joker will now form out of his non-evil twin brother who was gassed and turned evil. The thing is, this might not even be the case, the impact of death has completely been removed by the showrunners. Jerome could easily be brought back to life like so many characters. I also wonder how many people Gordon has shot and killed at this stage because he is racking them up. This arc really highlights how poorly written this is. Its just needless twist after needless twist.

Some of the small details on the show are extremely annoying. For example, when Gordon is trying to save Jerome its broad daylight, he falls onto the car and dies. By the time Gordon gets down there, its nighttime. Just silly mistakes.

The whole Indian Hills story line was a good way to introduce the villains, having the Joker given an extra layer of complexity, especially after the whole face removal thing, was great. Hopefully he's just forgotten for a while and it takes "a bad day" for Jerome to come to the front again

Loving the show again

Joker is amazing! Very very well done. A bit TOOOO heath ledger at times, but I'd forgive that cos he's the best thing about the show.

I'm a bit cynical in that I think they made the twin just do they could change jeromes makeup! Was probabaly a pain in the ass for them!

New Barbara angle should be good. She s fantastic too

Loving the show again

Joker is amazing! Very very well done. A bit TOOOO heath ledger at times, but I'd forgive that cos he's the best thing about the show.

I'm a bit cynical in that I think they made the twin just do they could change jeromes makeup! Was probabaly a pain in the ass for them!

New Barbara angle should be good. She s fantastic too

I thought he was a brilliant Joker, very Hamill-esque, must watch a few of the animated movies again, the scene from the maze especially was very well done in my opinion.

Clareman wrote: »
    I thought he was a brilliant Joker, very Hamill-esque, must watch a few of the animated movies again, the scene from the maze especially was very well done in my opinion.

Don't watch The Killing Joke anyway. My god one of the greatest Batman stories, with THE Batman and THE Joker themselves (Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill), and they made a mess of it. Even the animation wasn't great. I've watched many of the animated DC movies multiple times, but never would I watch that again.

^ Batman aside, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Death of Superman (near the end of the year I think). Footage was released a few weeks back and it looks good.

Don't watch The Killing Joke anyway. My god one of the greatest Batman stories, with THE Batman and THE Joker themselves (Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill), and they made a mess of it. Even the animation wasn't great. I've watched many of the animated DC movies multiple times, but never would I watch that again.

^ Batman aside, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Death of Superman (near the end of the year I think). Footage was released a few weeks back and it looks good.

It really was terrible wasn't it, the very start where
    Batman and Bat-girl got it on, ffs he's a father figure
    , they totally glossed over the whole Joker/Barbara thing as well, I thought they could have done it like they did with Robin in Batman Beyond but they totally glossed over it.

In regards the TV show, hopefully that's the end of the Joker now until Bruce becomes Batman, the fact that the Joker doesn't have a history is a lot to do with his mystique. IMO the best villains are the villains who are just bad, no need for a reason, they just are, bit like Vader in A New Hope, he's just a baddie, I think that built up a lot of his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭steve_r

The Batgirl stuff they added to the Killing Joke was ridiculous. I don't like the animation but in fairness to them they may have been looking to emulate the style of the original comic

Clareman wrote: »
    It really was terrible wasn't it, the very start where
    Batman and Bat-girl got it on, ffs he's a father figure
    , they totally glossed over the whole Joker/Barbara thing as well, I thought they could have done it like they did with Robin in Batman Beyond but they totally glossed over it.

In regards the TV show, hopefully that's the end of the Joker now until Bruce becomes Batman, the fact that the Joker doesn't have a history is a lot to do with his mystique. IMO the best villains are the villains who are just bad, no need for a reason, they just are, bit like Vader in A New Hope, he's just a baddie, I think that built up a lot of his character.
    steve_r wrote: »
    The Batgirl stuff they added to the Killing Joke was ridiculous. I don't like the animation but in fairness to them they may have been looking to emulate the style of the original comic

And isn't it ironic that yesterday I brought up The Killing Joke, and now today it's available on Sky Movies Premiere (starting in 5 minutes as well) !!! :pac: Yeah that whole Batgirl bit with Bruce was just.... ugh. I know it's been hinted in the past in other media (The Animated Series and Batman Beyond), but the way it was handled there was just bad.

The Joker is the one villain in the entirety of fiction that truly encompasses what you said Clareman about "just being bad for no reason". That Alfred quote from The Dark Knight sums it up perfectly:

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn"

Honestly when they first introduced Jerome (was it S1, S2?), I was kinda of annoyed because of what you said about Joker having an unknown origin. And now he does have an origin. A very unique one at that but, now he's just pretty much an experiment, he didn't become The Joker naturally. Unless there's a big twist coming and fools us all with Jerome coming back in some mad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Catching up on this today. I do admire how Jerome took on the role I also like the new take with Ivy. She has grown on me excuse the pun and she's easy on the eye. My favourite character has to be Victor. Anthony Carrigan plays him well and the humour he brings to it

I don't like the whole thing of giving Joker a back story even tho there's been a few, they should just leave it a mystery.

• Advertisement

Honestly when they first introduced Jerome (was it S1, S2?), I was kinda of annoyed because of what you said about Joker having an unknown origin. And now he does have an origin. A very unique one at that but, now he's just pretty much an experiment, he didn't become The Joker naturally. Unless there's a big twist coming and fools us all with Jerome coming back in some mad way.

Jerome and his reason for being the Joker is dead, he had problems and issues and Indian Hills and all the rest, but Jerome is dead, his brother is alive with no direct link to Jerome as well as a load of witness protection, I can put up with this new "Joker" as from the outside no one knows who he is, even his only link to the outside world is dead, btw this is a great link to the Joker knowing all Gotham's weaknesses

Advertisement