Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 (2013)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

I received a nexus 7 32gb from Amazon, via Parcel Motel. There was no user manual in the box and it came with a European charger.......... I feel stupid as I obviously ordered it from their spanish site........ Firstly does it come with a manual (I know one is available online) ?....Secondly, if I decide to return it to Amazon it seems I have to go via Parcel Motel, so do I print off the labels from Amazon and then drop off the parcel at my nearest PM ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭droidman123

admcfad wrote: »
    I received a nexus 7 32gb from Amazon, via Parcel Motel. There was no user manual in the box and it came with a European charger.......... I feel stupid as I obviously ordered it from their spanish site........ Firstly does it come with a manual (I know one is available online) ?....Secondly, if I decide to return it to Amazon it seems I have to go via Parcel Motel, so do I print off the labels from Amazon and then drop off the parcel at my nearest PM ?

Thanks

As far as I can remember it doesn't come with a manual,but tbh,there's really no need for one,its fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Thanks
    There's no way you'll need a manual to use an N7 unless you've never used a computer or smartphone before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Thanks
    Manuals are gone away with the dodo, too much information to possibly fit in even if there was one. Also, the charger isn't a big deal since any generic USB plug charger will work (from other mobiles, tablets, iPhones). The one I purchased for my dad didn't even include one - it keep's the expenses down, thus our paid prices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

Thank you folks, now that I have started messing about with the nexus it is straight forward and will be keeping it, very happy with it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭creedp

coldfire1x wrote: »
    it really depends on your usage. I usually get 2-3 days out of it based on 2-3 hours of usage each days. I dont play much games. Gaming can be a bit of hit on the battery.

My son uses my one to play games regularly and he eats through a full charge in about 3 hours. Given that it takes anything from 4 to 8 hours to charge these days (I have it since November 13) it spends a lot of time being charged.

I've also noticed that the charger connecter is quite loose and when I plug it in I have to check that its actually charging - sometimes the cable has to be 'jiggled' to get it to charge. I suspect that given the short time available from each charge my son has been trying to use it while charging and may have damaged the port. Is there any easy (inexpensive) way of fixing that problem? While it still charges once I'm careful to ensure a proper connection, one night recently it was charging for nearly 10 hours to get a full charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

creedp wrote: »
    I've also noticed that the charger connecter is quite loose and when I plug it in I have to check that its actually charging

Same as my own, I have to rest something on the charging cable holding it into the nexus to stop it falling out by itself, there's no grip from the nexus whatsoever.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Same as my own, I have to rest something on the charging cable holding it into the nexus to stop it falling out by itself, there's no grip from the nexus whatsoever.

Between the apparent poor quality of the charging port and the poor battery life and time it takes for a full charge I'm a little disappointed with the nexus 2013. Granted the screen is of a high quality and its very fast but having to charge it so regularly is becomming a pain.

I also have an asus laptop and I find its battery life very poor also and coupled with the over sensitive nature of the mouse pad I'm wondering if asus products are a little behind other brands when it comes to an overall package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Asus are imo ahead of a lot of other brands in terms of quality.

The charger being lose is unfortunately a user error, if you look at the end of your charger the metal piece will most likely be a little bent. I know it is for me but I know someone (probably me) put pressure on the charger while it was plugged in and bent it. As it wasn't always like that.
    Try get your hands on another charger and try it, or try the Nexus 7 charger in another device you should see it's not the Nexus 7 that's broken but the charger.

There has been some complaints about the battery life on the Nexus 7 after updates but in general I find it lasts 2-3 days as was stated by another user here. If I play games however it can die extremely quick, but this isn't a flaw of the Nexus 7 games are just heavy battery users.

Mine is actually the original one but still, obviously the same issue persists but to be fair mine only happened in the last couple of months.

• Advertisement

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Asus are imo ahead of a lot of other brands in terms of quality.

The charger being lose is unfortunately a user error, if you look at the end of your charger the metal piece will most likely be a little bent. I know it is for me but I know someone (probably me) put pressure on the charger while it was plugged in and bent it. As it wasn't always like that.
    Try get your hands on another charger and try it, or try the Nexus 7 charger in another device you should see it's not the Nexus 7 that's broken but the charger.

There has been some complaints about the battery life on the Nexus 7 after updates but in general I find it lasts 2-3 days as was stated by another user here. If I play games however it can die extremely quick, but this isn't a flaw of the Nexus 7 games are just heavy battery users.

You may be right re the overall quality of asus products but based on my experience with the battery life of the Nexus and my asus laptop I think there is room for improvement in that regard. The battery life is far better in my Toshiba laptop and my daughter has an ipod and I don't hear her complaining as much about the battery even though she play games regularly on it also. In any case as I said earlier the Nexus has a great screen and it very quick .. I just wish the charging port was more durable and the battery life a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We've three nexus 7's in our house - 2 2012's and 1 2013. 2013 one had the apparent issue with the charging port - having to jiggle it to charge, thinking it was charging when it wasn't etc, as described above. But it only happened on the cable that came with the 2013. Using the cables that came with the 2012 ones there doesn't seem to be an issue at all. So I wouldn't rule out changing the cable if people are having those problems.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    We've three nexus 7's in our house - 2 2012's and 1 2013. 2013 one had the apparent issue with the charging port - having to jiggle it to charge, thinking it was charging when it wasn't etc, as described above. But it only happened on the cable that came with the 2013. Using the cables that came with the 2012 ones there doesn't seem to be an issue at all. So I wouldn't rule out changing the cable if people are having those problems.

I didn't realise but the kindle uses the same charging cable so I tried that last night and while it still seemed quite loose it didn't lose the charging connection when 'jiggled'. Left it charging overnight and was fully charged this morning. Will check this evening how long a full charge takes. Hopefully that will resolve the problem as I was getting to the stage that I could not get the nexus fully charged and use it in a 24 hour period!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    So I wouldn't rule out changing the cable if people are having those problems.

I've a pile of USB chargers in the house, for me unfortunately it doesn't make a difference what cable I use, they're all fine on other devices.

creedp wrote: »
    I didn't realise but the kindle uses the same charging cable so I tried that last night and while it still seemed quite loose it didn't lose the charging connection when 'jiggled'. Left it charging overnight and was fully charged this morning. Will check this evening how long a full charge takes. Hopefully that will resolve the problem as I was getting to the stage that I could not get the nexus fully charged and use it in a 24 hour period!

For the record the kindle lead fully charged it from 15% in about 3.30 which is back to what it was in the beginning. Good news .. lets hope it stays that way. I'm going to maintain exclusive possession of the charger for the immediate future though!

Glad to hear it's working again.

I'd recommend keeping a close eye on the charger too because although the Nexus 7 may not be perfect when it comes to battery life, what you described is not normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

My Nexus 7 charger seems to be on it's last legs. The wires are all stripped at one end. Thinking of buying the official Nexus charger off Google Play for €15. I use it with my Nexus 7 and Moto G.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

What's the best place currently to buy a 3g equipped Nexus 7? The play store only has 32GB 3g, is it only available in 32GB w/3g?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

I've the Nexus 7 2013 approx 4 months and suddenly an annoyong issue has appeared. The device will now only charge when powered off - if switched on and I connect the power source to the Nexus nothing happens.

Anyone know how to resolve or have similar issue? Cheers

Send it back ? My original one is going a bit dodgy now, takes an age to charge when switched on, for example last night it took an hour to go from around 76% to 79% and just didn't seem to want to go further, so have to resort to charging it when off.

It's also becoming panifull slow at times, my Moto G is lightening quick in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Have those of you with charging problems tried isolating the cause?
    Have you tried a different micro USB charger? Have you tried the Moto charger on the Nexus?
    Not all micro USB chargers charge at the same rate.

Micro USB ports don't take much abuse, I wouldn't recommend using the tablet when charging as you're likely to put pressure on the cable/port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Have you tried a different micro USB charger? Have you tried the Moto charger on the Nexus?

Micro USB ports don't take much abuse, I wouldn't recommend using the tablet when charging as you're likely to put pressure on the cable/port.

Good suggestions, except for trying the Moto G charger.....there ain't none :)

I'd say ensure your charger is rated high enough.....>1.5A......2A if you have one.

The port is definitely problematical.....

If you can't sort it out, bring or send it back to the retailer you bought it from, you are covered by an EU Statutory Warranty for hardware faults for two years from purchase.

The manufacturers warranty is additional to this.

I mentioned in a previous post, I've a plethora of USB chargers from Blackberry, Windows Phones, Samsung, a Hudl and a Nexus. It's an issue with the Nexus, not the the chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Can anyone recommend a good wireless charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

Hi looking for a folio case for my nexus 7 need to look good and have a refillable notepad in it

Going forward I'll be out on the road more so will be relying on it to review docs

I was looking at something like a a dodo case but they're over 100usd

Has anyone com across cheaper alternative

As an aside I also need a too stylus for the nexus as I'll be marking up docs on the fly

All suggest greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Cathy Makes Cards

I can't tether my Nexus to my BlackBerry - too old! Was going to get new phone. Does tethering work between Nexus 7 and Sony Xperia M (not M2)?

Appreciate any help as it's double Dutch to me :) Thanks.

I can't tether my Nexus to my BlackBerry - too old! Was going to get new phone. Does tethering work between Nexus 7 and Sony Xperia M (not M2)?

Appreciate any help as it's double Dutch to me :) Thanks.

If your BlackBerry supports tethering I don't see a reason why it can't tether to the Nexus 7. So I'm going to assume the Blackberry doesn't support tethering at all.

In which case yes, any phone (such as the Sony Xperia M) which supports tethering can be tethered to the Nexus 7.

All tethering does is creates a WiFi hotspot on your phone which allows other devices to connect to the hotspot like it would to any WiFi network and use the phones data connection for Internet access.
    So basically there should be no incompatibilities for tethering as it's using standard technology in a clever way ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Cathy Makes Cards

Thank you so much Fluffy88. Appreciate you taking the time to explain :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Any idea why my laptop wouldn't pick up my nexus when connected to it? I'm fairly sure its come up in the past as an external storage device but tried a few different connections and nothing. It was charging off the laptop though....
    I'm not going mad or anything am i?

Advertisement