Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 (2013)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

T-Bird wrote: »
    There has been plenty of posts. Best thing is probably go back and read them, as you will learn from others experiences.

There are no other posts about it on this thread. Going back a page takes you back to 6 months ago.
    Appreciate any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

There are no other posts about it on this thread. Going back a page takes you back to 6 months ago.
    Appreciate any help.

Sorry, seen so many, thought they were everywhere. Factory reset in settings menu might do trick. Warning, this deletes everything. Photos can be synched with Google, apps should start to reinstall again once you signed into Google play. However all data will be lost.

This works for some and not others I think it depends on the apps your using. Facebook app causes serious lag on nexus 7 lollipop. if you have it try uninstalling it.

Personally I think the device is a bit old to run lollipop. I got fed up with it and installed CM10 jellybean. Much happier with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭corkie

Here is a tip for 2012 Nexus 7 (might also work on 2013) from XDA!

Got Annoying Lag on Lollipop? Here's a tip that can save your Nexus 7!

If you go to Settings>Developer Options, tap "Enable View Attribute Inspection", then boot into recovery and clear cache, your Nexus 7 will run like new, no lag, no freezing.

If you need help doing this, there are steps below for you to look at.

*HOW TO GET DEV OPTIONS IF YOU DON'T SEE IT*
    -Go to Settings>About tablet.
    -Find the build number.
    -Mash it until a message telling you that you are a developer appears.
    -You're done!

*HOW TO GET INTO RECOVERY AND CLEAR CACHE*
    Do this after you enable "View Attribute Inspection".
    -Power off your Nexus
    -Press the power and volume down buttons until you see a screen with an Android guy with an open chest and some device info and options.
    -To scroll through the options, use the volume up or down buttons to show an option, and use the power button to select it. The option we are looking for is "Recovery".
    -Once you select it, the Google screen will appear and after a couple seconds, an Android guy with his chest open and the words "No command" appear.
    -Don't freak out now! Now press the power and the volume up buttons and count to 3. After you count to 3, let go of the buttons, and a menu will appear. And again, to scroll through the options, use the volume up or down buttons to show an option, and use the power button to select it. Now highlight "Clear cache", and select it. The Nexus will do its magic, and when it's done, highlight "Reboot to system" and you will reboot to Lollipop.

Also do the following from comments in that thread!
    Developer Options and switched "Window animation scale", "Transition animation scale" and "Animator duration scale" all to "Animation off" and "Background process limit" to "At most, 3 processes".

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

I have read that stuff online but it sounds dodgy to me. You shouldn't have to do that. It reminds me of the tech support on lenovo forums where they tell you to do 10 different things knowing full well that they have messed up.
    This seems to be a major fail on google's part. Looking online there are endless amounts of people with the same issue. Wish I could just row back on the update. So glad I did not download the update on my gs5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭corkie

Wish I could just row back on the update. So glad I did not download the update on my gs5.

You do have the option of wiping your device and flashing a prior factory image (maybe Kitkat 4.4.4 (KTU84P))??

There is a 5.0.2 for my xperia z1 rolling out at present, don't know if I will update.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Personally I think the device is a bit old to run lollipop. I got fed up with it and installed CM10 jellybean. Much happier with it now.

Any thoughts on CM12 - a bridge too far ??

I put CM12.1 on my Nexus4 and cut back on the Apps and it is like a new phone so thinking of trying the same on N7

corkie wrote: »
    Here is a tip for 2012 Nexus 7 (might also work on 2013) from XDA!

Got Annoying Lag on Lollipop? Here's a tip that can save your Nexus 7!

Also do the following from comments in that thread!

There's a few tips alright, tried them and no joy.

Some have problems and some don't. That's why I'm thinking it might be app compatibility related.

blobbie wrote: »
    Any thoughts on CM12 - a bridge too far ??

I put CM12.1 on my Nexus4 and cut back on the Apps and it is like a new phone so thinking of trying the same on N7

Probably, last time I tried putting a custom based lollipop was about 3 months ago. Things have probably got a lot better since then.

Apart from aesthetics I'm not finding much of a difference with CM10. It's actually the last stable rom as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

This seems to be a major fail on google's part. Looking online there are endless amounts of people with the same issue. Wish I could just row back on the update. So glad I did not download the update on my gs5.

I have slowly come around to your way of thinking!
    Lollipop was too ambitious with the following:
      - Move from Dalvik to Android RunTime(ART) - so instead of apps being compiled Just-in-Time they are pre-compiled at installation. This causes apps that were specifically geared towards Dalvik to run correctly on ART
      - A unified webview - with Kitkat the manufacturer's stock browser was built on a version of Chromium at a point in time, and not updated until manufacturer issued an android update. It differed across manufacturers. Now with lollipop, all android phones have the same webview that is updated each 6 weeks when Chromium and Chrome are updated
      -
    Decouple apps - moving parts of Android from the core OS out to the Play Store or Google Play Services - so that many apps can now be updated regularly in Play store instead of having to wait for an android update
      - Introduction of new APIs - the cleaning up of code that had previously allowed apps to use unofficial APIs - causing problems for these apps
      -
    Project volta - a new "JobScheduler" API that allows the OS to batch up unimportant app requests like database cleanup and log uploading - causing problems for apps that would consume a lot of RAM memory and were shut down unexpectedly - not sure if this applies to Facebook - although most people I know now use that Tinfoil for Facebook app unless they play games on Facebook
      - Introduction of API for android wear and android auto, merging of this code along with existing code can cause unexpected problems when doing this.
      - Material design of menus and apps.

Google should maybe have offered people the last option for those that are technically inept. Not everyone needs to be at the cutting edge. In Linux, Debian do this well, with Debian Stable and Debian Testing. As the names suggest, Stable is for those that are happy with rock-solid tried and tested performance rather than new features. Testing is for those that want new features and are willing to accept that bugs will be found and fixed.

Also Google's communication to users has been nothing short of disrespectful. Though I can maybe understand that it is up to manufacturers to pass on any communication - but Google needs to set the tone for others.

I thunk it's a bit ironic the way thing's have gone. Latest version of Android needs to run on high spec devices in order to run smoothly. While the latest version of Windows will run at lightning speed on an old 4 years old or more pc.

• Advertisement

I thunk it's a bit ironic the way thing's have gone. Latest version of Android needs to run on high spec devices in order to run smoothly. While the latest version of Windows will run at lightning speed on an old 4 years old or more pc.
    The latest version of Android does run on Android One devices - hardly high-spec.
    I just don't think you can mess with an OS like Google has done AND easily install it over the previous version and expect third party software to continue work without incredible amounts of testing. They don't have Microsoft's years of experience to learn about how to do this correctly. We shall see in a few months how Microsoft will make it possible to seemlessly install Windows 10 over Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

My windows 7 used to fly in the early few days before the third-party anti-virus and encryption programs were installed. Ever since then, it lags greatly. I expect no different with Windows 10.

The latest version of Android does run on Android One devices - hardly high-spec.
    I just don't think you can mess with an OS like Google has done AND easily install it over the previous version and expect third party software to continue work without incredible amounts of testing. They don't have Microsoft's years of experience to learn about how to do this correctly. We shall see in a few months how Microsoft will make it possible to seemlessly install Windows 10 over Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

My windows 7 used to fly in the early few days before the third-party anti-virus and encryption programs were installed. Ever since then, it lags greatly. I expect no different with Windows 10.

? windows 7 is fairly old now and was the last of its type. 8.1 is a different story. I have been running 2 tablets since jan and 1 mini pc (size of a cd case) at home as a replacement for the pcs. Connected to screens via hdmi and to keyboard and mice via mini usb.

They still boot up in less 5 seconds and never lag. 2 are 33gb and the other is 64g which means that you can't run big programs on them. Apart from that they are perfect for office based stuff, browsing the internet and streaming via explorer or Netflix app (lags using other browsers, think its a plugin issue)

I have only used my custom built i5k a few times this year now. That has 8.1 on it and an ssd boot drive. It's perfect for all the big heavy stuff should I need it.

You can believe me or not but the 3 (with little atom processors) boot up just as fast and have never lagged. Windows 10 will run on more devices than 8.1 and require less memory.

Android is far better for apps and stuff and I doubt Microsoft will ever catch up. But 10 is meant to be able to run Android apps from the off (and apples I think). 10 will be free licence, more manufacturers will be installing it etc. But that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I had a Nexus 7 (2012) which after a year or so ran like molasses; 10 seconds to do anything, black screens, etc. Resetting, reinstalls, setting various settings related to GPU, number of processes, etc, didn't help at all. Hated using the damn thing even as a Kindle.

The following worked, however, and the result is unbelievable: tablet runs absolutely fine with multiple apps at once. Feels like brand new:

http://teknovenus.com/wordpress/speed-up-nexus-7-f2fs-slimkat/

I'm summary, you install a new ROM Slimkat but at same time use a new file system F2FS, which was quote:
    developed by Samsung for use with NAND flash devices. It was built with the intention of being used on eMMC, SSD’s and SD cards, resulting in improved performance over the existing ext4 system used by Android.

The instructions are very clear and even an Android novice like me managed it in an afternoon. The only cost is 99c for an app which is used to perform the file system conversion on the downloaded ROM.

P.

You can believe me or not but the 3 (with little atom processors) boot up just as fast and have never lagged. Windows 10 will run on more devices than 8.1 and require less memory.

Android is far better for apps and stuff and I doubt Microsoft will ever catch up. But 10 is meant to be able to run Android apps from the off (and apples I think). 10 will be free licence, more manufacturers will be installing it etc. But that's just my opinion.

Sorry you misunderstood me, I meant that Windows7 is fine - its the third party software that causes the lag for me. Windows10 will no doubt suffer the same fate, fantastic quick until third party software is installed. The problem is nearly always third party developers in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Hi all
    Having a recurring problem with my nexus 7 and it switching off and then restarting. Most of the time, it happens when using my slimport to cast netflix onto the tv but it does happen other times as well, usually under heavy load.

Most of the time, it just turns off and turns itself back on but the latest one appears to be more serious with all the apps re-optimising as if I had updated android.

Any thoughts? Is our cheapo slimport causing trouble or is the 7 simply not able to handle android 5 and our heavy use?

gaius c wrote: »
    Any thoughts? Is our cheapo slimport causing trouble or is the 7 simply not able to handle android 5 and our heavy use?
    Never worked better for me.
    Put it in safemode for the rest of the day - if it reboots, you've a software problem - might need to flash another image via NRT.

If it doesn't reboot, you've a dodgy app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anybody got the OTA Marshmallow update yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Haven't got anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Nothing. Any word on how the nexus handles it?

clsmooth wrote: »
    Nothing. Any word on how the nexus handles it?

My nexus 7 was unusable after the previous update. Hopefully this new update will sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

My nexus 7 was unusable after the previous update. Hopefully this new update will sort it.

Was that not the nexus 7 2012 though?

Was that not the nexus 7 2012 though?

I don't know but a 3 year old tablet shouldn't be bricked by a software update. Looking online numerous people have been affected and nothing has been done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

I don't know but a 3 year old tablet shouldn't be bricked by a software update. Looking online numerous people have been affected and nothing has been done about it.

Yes my friend had the same problem but it was with the 2012 after it got lollipop.the 2012 wont be getting marshmallow,only the 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

I got an ota marshmallow update on thursday . nexus 2013 wifi.
    battery seems to last a little longer .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Still nothing on my Nexus but hopefully get it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Got it on Wednesday or Thursday. Only 300MB download - would have expected it to be bigger. Doesn't feel like much has changed, visually at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Any way of pushing it through or is it a case of waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Got it on mine on Thursday too. Battery much improved. Getting just short of 7hrs screen on time now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Any other changes?? Runs pretty smoothly then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

Battery life much improved, problem with usb cable connect, keeps defaulting to charging only option you have to change it in drop down notification to mpt, discussed a lot on android forums but no fix yet.

Advertisement