Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 (2013)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I went to Kerry Phone stores today (vodafone shop) in Killarney today to get a replacement micro usb charger to use in the Car. A very helpful and knowledgeable guy told me that the chargers they stock push out a maximum of 1 amp and therefore are unsuitable for charging a tablet like the nexus because they generally require a charging current of up to 2 amps. Using too week of a charger may have an adverse effect on the battery lifespan in the nexus. With this in mind can anyone recommend a suitable charger to use in the car or should I just throw caution to the wind and go ahead and use the phone charger anyway?

Using a charge that provides less amps will mean your device will take longer to charge but it won't damage it. Quite the opposite, slower charging is better for the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Stock appears to be gone from Google Play Ireland and UK now. Perhaps a sign of a new release?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Just wondering what experience people have had with HDMI adapters with the Nexus 7 2013 model and do you have any examples of ones that have worked fully?

There seems to be some hit and miss ones out there but I was considering these, here and here

I was considering the Chromecast also but since it still doesn't fully support everything I'd like to stream to a TV I'm going to pass on it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Just wondering what experience people have had with HDMI adapters with the Nexus 7 2013 model and do you have any examples of ones that have worked fully?

There seems to be some hit and miss ones out there but I was considering these, here and here

I was considering the Chromecast also but since it still doesn't fully support everything I'd like to stream to a TV I'm going to pass on it for now.

Slimport works fine although it was expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭useeme

Cracked my screen. Any have experience and knowledge on repairing / replacing it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Thinking of buying one of these, anyone know of any deals at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

If you could hold out until next month,when the rumours point to a new nexus tablet, you will probably get a great deal on the 2012 and 2013 nexus 7.

Meanwhile,if you don't want to wait

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/#/search/s_1847120982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

€189 for the 2nd gen from the site above, well worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Saw one in pc world for 215 eur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Saw one in pc world for 215 eur.

That's fair enough for a b&m store. At least you would have it straight away and if anything went wrong you can just pop back with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Getting bored with the Nexus 7, might look at a Samsung 8, tab 4 or if it comes up a surface pro mini.
    Finding Android limiting and very buggy when updating a basic excel sheet.
    Also find the web pages viewed on a tablet less detailed than the exact same page on a windows laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You can't compare a tablet with a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

Cracked my screen. Any have experience and knowledge on repairing / replacing it?
    I cracked mine as well. I rang a few places and it seems to be ~120/150 quid to get repaired. So I ordered a screen online and going to try replace it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Thinking of picking this up lads, mainly for reading books and web browsing. Last tablet I had was the iPad 4 with retina which I found helped stop my eyes from tiring easily due to the crisp screen, is the screen on this very sharp compared to the iPad 4? Also Should I buy now or is this in for a potential price drop anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭corkie

Thinking of picking this up lads, mainly for reading books and web browsing. Last tablet I had was the iPad 4 with retina which I found helped stop my eyes from tiring easily due to the crisp screen, is the screen on this very sharp compared to the iPad 4? Also Should I buy now or is this in for a potential price drop anytime soon?

There might be a price drop when the Nexus 9 (due soon) comes out.

Or another tablet worth looking at is the Nvidia Shield Tablet
    although reported on XDA the early release of this tablet had screen cracking issues due to over heating and problems with wifi.

I'm holding out on getting a new device to replace my aging Nexus 7(2012), by getting one of the above devices.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I am thinking of getting one of these, or another android mini tablet.

However, I would need to use it (among other things) for typing documents, emailing the docs to a desktop computer and opening the docs on the desktop in Word.

Does anyone know for sure if this is/is not possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

However, I would need to use it (among other things) for typing documents, emailing the docs to a desktop computer and opening the docs on the desktop in Word.

If you can get on with Google docs, you'll have no problem but it won't work with Word.

There is also Office Mobile, but I'm not sure how usable it actually is - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.officehub

Actually, scratch that. It's a phone app, and won't let me install on my Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Kenny, thanks for that.

So just to get this straight, I can type in Google docs and open the doc on any computer, but I can't save it as a Word doc?

Is it possible that I could buy a version of MS office for a Nexus or other device?

Google docs uses its own format, is accessible anywhere (cloud based), but won't work with Word docs.

There are other apps that can handle .doc or .docx files though. For example -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dataviz.docstogoapp

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobisystems.office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Don't know if this is useful to you.
    I thought maybe these pics would help you get a sense of the scale of what you'd be dealing with in using onscreen keyboard in Google Docs or a similar app.

I'd think it would be okay for smaller amounts of typing, maybe even a bit of blogging, but for something more lengthy like an essay it might not be so practical.

In portrait mode I find the keyboard is best used for "swyping" the words rather than typing. In landscape mode there isn't very much space above the keyboard which makes it more difficult to read back more than a few sentences over what you have just typed. Although this is the case with all smaller widescreen tablets. This is one area where the 4:3 ratio screen of the iPad works better. Widescreen is better for watching movies but not so much for typing.

On that note, there are a lot of rumours point to the upcoming HTC built Nexus 9 tablet having a ~9 inch 4:3 screen, but it is also likely that the Nexus 9 will be a good bit more expensive than current Nexus.
    Anyway, hope this helps you in your decision.

corkie wrote: »
    There might be a price drop when the Nexus 9 (due soon) comes out.

Or another tablet worth looking at is the Nvidia Shield Tablet
    although reported on XDA the early release of this tablet had screen cracking issues due to over heating and problems with wifi.

I'm holding out on getting a new device to replace my aging Nexus 7(2012), by getting one of the above devices.

Cheers mate :)

Just on the screen sharpness lads is it nice and crisp yeah? iPad 4 is 2,048 × 1,536 px color IPS LCD display at (264 ppi) and Nexus 7 (2023) is 1920×1200, widescreen 8:5 aspect ratio, 323 ppi so I assume going on ppi its sharper? Sorry the term retina on iPad makes me a little confused ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I use Office Suite. It can create and edit MS Office documents and spreadsheets. There's a free version also. There's also Microsoft Office Mobile and Polaris Office that I know of.

What you want to do is perfectly doable. Typing a long document on an onscreen keyboard is not that practical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Kenny, thanks for that.

So just to get this straight, I can type in Google docs and open the doc on any computer, but I can't save it as a Word doc?

Is it possible that I could buy a version of MS office for a Nexus or other device?

I use WPS Office on my phone https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.wps.moffice_eng&hl=en

Works really well as an office-type suite, and you can save as .doc file either locally or to the cloud. So If you create a doc and save it to Google Drive, then it's available for you on any computer as a .doc file

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

i use wps on my nexus 7 , works fine.
    i use it for spreadsheets , can be a little filldy but it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Any chance of an Android Lollipop update coming out for the Nexus 7 soon do people think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

chris85 wrote: »
    Any chance of an Android Lollipop update coming out for the Nexus 7 soon do people think?

I'd expect it within 2-3 weeks as an OTA.
    You can always go for a manual install now if impatient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

chris85 wrote: »

I think they're starting to push it out on November 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Do people think this may improve the ghost touches seen by many on the Nexus 7? Or this more hardware based.

• Advertisement

I'd expect it within 2-3 weeks as an OTA.
    You can always go for a manual install now if impatient.

Would you have a link to a guide or at least the install file? I flashed CyanogenMod 11 onto mine but want to check out L so will need to do it manually.

Advertisement