Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 (2013)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

PauloConn wrote: »
    Any idea why my laptop wouldn't pick up my nexus when connected to it?
    What operating system? I had awful trouble trying to get it to be recognised on XP machines to load movies and music, as officially google doesn't offer drivers/ support for XP. Tried various workarounds that I found, without success and never got around it (I inherited a Windows 7 machine, so haven't continued trying).

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Macy0161 wrote: »
    What operating system? I had awful trouble trying to get it to be recognised on XP machines to load movies and music, as officially google doesn't offer drivers/ support for XP. Tried various workarounds that I found, without success and never got around it (I inherited a Windows 7 machine, so haven't continued trying).

Laptop is windows 7... its just so random and weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Laptop is windows 7... its just so random and weird

I've noticed before that my win7 machine won't pick up the Nexus or my Note3 unless the screen is on and unlocked (have a pin lock on the screen). Could that be the culprit?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Thought the exact same thing myself so unlocked it and everything, was on. Even tried to setup a bluetooth connect but they weren't playing ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Thought the exact same thing myself so unlocked it and everything, was on. Even tried to setup a bluetooth connect but they weren't playing ball
    I suppose it's handy from a security point of view.

Have you tried something like Pushbullet from the play store? I've never actually pushed anything from the computer to either the phone or tablet but it works a treat between the 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Have you tried Airdroid?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭creedp

Can someone advise if I can download european maps - specifically France - to my nexus which I can access without wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

creedp wrote: »
    Can someone advise if I can download european maps - specifically France - to my nexus which I can access without wifi?

I think citymaps2go might be what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

There is lots of navigation/GPS apps that let you save offline maps.
    I've tried,
    CoPilot
    NavFree
    MapFactor
    OsmAnd

CoPilot is a paid app which allows you to download 1 country for free.
    The other 3 are free apps which use http://www.openstreetmap.org/ for map data.
    If you are travelling to a lot of countries, I have found that OsmAnd seems to take up less space for it's maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Hi looking for a folio case for my nexus 7 need to look good and have a refillable notepad in it

Going forward I'll be out on the road more so will be relying on it to review docs

I was looking at something like a a dodo case but they're over 100usd

Has anyone com across cheaper alternative

As an aside I also need a too stylus for the nexus as I'll be marking up docs on the fly

All suggest greatly appreciated

Did you ever have any luck with this?

Would find one very handy also but don't want to pay the premium cost for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Is that the 2013 model?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Fieldog wrote: »
    Is that the 2013 model?

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

That's the older 2012 model but still a great price nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Sorry yeh its the old model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Just received an update to Android 4.4.4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Anyone going to try out the L release of android on their N7? Developer release is available now, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Anyone going to try out the L release of android on their N7? Developer release is available now, I think.

Yes I'm definitley going to have a look at it this weekend if there is a ROM about. Looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

apope8 wrote: »
    Yes I'm definitley going to have a look at it this weekend if there is a ROM about. Looks amazing

Let me know how you get on please! I think all you need to do is sign up as a developer to get the download direct from google.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Installed "L" last night using SkipSoft Unified Android Toolbox Link

Pretty quick and pain free. Only had a quick look at it but very impressed so far. The animations and the smoothness are brilliant. I wont get a chance to properly test it until tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I'm looking to pick up a 32GB 2013 model. Any good deals at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I have a crack all the way across my 2nd gen nexus. It was one of the kids but they are all denying any knowledge of breaking the device. I am comfortable that I could replace the screen if I knees where to buy a replacement. Any suggestions ?? Thanks

Cionn

Over the past few days I ahve noticed that the screen intermittedly freezes or goes on a serious 'go slow'. Turning on/off the table doesn't resolve the problem whic hrequires it to be left off for a period of time before it seems to right itself. The internal memory is getting pretty full with only 2mb of memory left - mainly due to the downloading of a map of France using Navfree. Would this be a cause of the problem or is there something else I should be concerned with? Also I downloaded the latest update yesterday and the problem hasn't re-ocurred to date - is is possible the update will solve this issue?

Over the past few days I ahve noticed that the screen intermittedly freezes or goes on a serious 'go slow'. Turning on/off the table doesn't resolve the problem whic hrequires it to be left off for a period of time before it seems to right itself. The internal memory is getting pretty full with only 2mb of memory left - mainly due to the downloading of a map of France using Navfree. Would this be a cause of the problem or is there something else I should be concerned with? Also I downloaded the latest update yesterday and the problem hasn't re-ocurred to date - is is possible the update will solve this issue?

If you only have 2mb of memory left it will devastate performance.I think I read somewhere that anything under 3gb of memory or thereabouts,will have a deteriorating affect on performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Cionn wrote: »
    I have a crack all the way across my 2nd gen nexus. It was one of the kids but they are all denying any knowledge of breaking the device. I am comfortable that I could replace the screen if I knees where to buy a replacement. Any suggestions ?? Thanks

Cionn

Mine broke about two weeks ago. It's fairly easy to replace. I just followed the ifixit youtube video. The hardest part is removing the existing cracked screen from the frame as it's glued to you need a heat gun or a hairdryer which is what I used. The LCD screen and the digitizer part are fused together so you have to replace both. They aren't cheaper either. I spent 80 euro on this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HAHMMPM/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1 and another few euro on parcel motel to get it delivered. You'll probably find one for a few euro cheaper on ebay that ships direct.

Check if they ship the tools or if the double sided adhesive is already attached otherwise order them too. The tools come with the one I got but the double sided tape doesn't so you'll need to order that. The 2012 screen isn't as good or as high a resolution so it's a lot cheaper.so be careful and make sure you order the 2013 version and that it's not just the screen. You need the screen and the digitizer.

If you only have 2mb of memory left it will devastate performance.I think I read somewhere that anything under 3gb of memory or thereabouts,will have a deteriorating affect on performance.

OK time to do a cull of some less used apps. A question that only a technophobe could ask at this stage but is it possible to transfer some less used apps onto an external memory stick which could then be transferred back when wanted again? If so would someone be good enough to give me a quick instruction?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

OK time to do a cull of some less used apps. A question that only a technophobe could ask at this stage but is it possible to transfer some less used apps onto an external memory stick which could then be transferred back when wanted again? If so would someone be good enough to give me a quick instruction?

If you got the apps from the Google Play Store you can uninstall and reinstall them as often as you like.

as per poster above. you can uninstall whatever apps you want, paid or free. when you want to install them again, go to the playstore,then top left you will see like 3 horizontal lines, click that, then click on my apps. when you do that you will see "installed" and "all". click on all and you will see any apps you have downloaded in the past,just click on install. it sounds complicated and tedious, but when you actually do it, its really straightforward. even if you buy a new tablet or phone, all your apps will be there once you sign in to your google account.

as per poster above. you can uninstall whatever apps you want, paid or free. when you want to install them again, go to the playstore,then top left you will see like 3 horizontal lines, click that, then click on my apps. when you do that you will see "installed" and "all". click on all and you will see any apps you have downloaded in the past,just click on install. it sounds complicated and tedious, but when you actually do it, its really straightforward. even if you buy a new tablet or phone, all your apps will be there once you sign in to your google account.

That's great. Thanks. Same as music so - didn't realise that. Who said technology was difficult!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I went to Kerry Phone stores today (vodafone shop) in Killarney today to get a replacement micro usb charger to use in the Car. A very helpful and knowledgeable guy told me that the chargers they stock push out a maximum of 1 amp and therefore are unsuitable for charging a tablet like the nexus because they generally require a charging current of up to 2 amps. Using too week of a charger may have an adverse effect on the battery lifespan in the nexus. With this in mind can anyone recommend a suitable charger to use in the car or should I just throw caution to the wind and go ahead and use the phone charger anyway?

Advertisement