Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 (2013)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ethernet wrote: »
    Yup. I can't even remembering getting 4.4.1 :confused:

Yup. Went straight from 4.4 to 4.4.2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Problem now is that we have to wait for some of the apps to play catch up with the new version, MX Player says it's not compatible with the latest Android version.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Problem now is that we have to wait for some of the apps to play catch up with the new version, MX Player says it's not compatible with the latest Android version.

This is why i don't auto-upgrade my stuff. Upgrades break things and for the small feature bumps you get you may have to contend with whole apps not working or decreased performance/battery life as new code is added to old code and makes your device work harder (hello apple!).

I've been burned for being an early adopter too many times. After years of learning the hard way from buggy updates from Apple, Microshaft and the likes, I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

To be fair this is the first time, apart from the Sky apps, I've had issues with after an upgrade, and even at that I only use MX Player about once a week when out and I stick a vid on to entertain my daughter for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Are there any walk in stores in Dublin that sell half decent N7 (2013) cases? I'd love to get something a little nicer than some of the crappy ones i've seen about the place. Something like the Dodocase: http://www.dodocase.com/collections/nexus-7-2013

Has anyone got any ideas or will I just have to order online and pay the hefty shipping charges?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Are there any walk in stores in Dublin that sell half decent N7 (2013) cases? I'd love to get something a little nicer than some of the crappy ones i've seen about the place. Something like the Dodocase: http://www.dodocase.com/collections/nexus-7-2013

Has anyone got any ideas or will I just have to order online and pay the hefty shipping charges?

i'm looking myself, etsy has some beautiful cases for decent prices

Are there any walk in stores in Dublin that sell half decent N7 (2013) cases? I'd love to get something a little nicer than some of the crappy ones i've seen about the place...

Any walk in stores i went to looking for a case for mine only seem to do generic 7" tablet cases which are all loose, or slightly ill fitting in some way. I guess they don't want to keep stock of cases for specific models that they might not be able to shift. If you want something custom made you're probably going to need to go online, but even if you do i'd read the comments and reviews, because a lot of sellers seem to be marketing ill fitting generic cases as custom-to-model ones, and the comments are the only way you can tell.

I was looking at the poetic case for the N7 2013 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poetic-SLIMLINE-Portfolio-Android-Version/dp/B008NMCPTQ). It gets great reviews but the only places that stocked it were going to cost me north of €35 including delivery and be 2-3 weeks wait, so i went to tesco and bought a belkin neoprene pouch that fits the new N7 like a glove for €19.95. It's not the most stylish case, but it fits perfectly and offers decent protection, and the tablet still fits in my inside Jacket pocket with it on. It'll do till i find something better.

The bigger Tesco outlets seem to stock a decent range of tablet cases etc in comparison to the usual walk in places here. You can check the fit of whatever case you choose too, as they have the nexus on display in the store.

Any walk in stores i went to looking for a case for mine only seem to do generic 7" tablet cases which are all loose, or slightly ill fitting in some way. I guess they don't want to keep stock of cases for specific models that they might not be able to shift. If you want something custom made you're probably going to need to go online, but even if you do i'd read the comments and reviews, because a lot of sellers seem to be marketing ill fitting generic cases as custom-to-model ones, and the comments are the only way you can tell.

I was looking at the poetic case for the N7 2013 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poetic-SLIMLINE-Portfolio-Android-Version/dp/B008NMCPTQ). It gets great reviews but the only places that stocked it were going to cost me north of €35 including delivery and be 2-3 weeks wait, so i went to tesco and bought a belkin neoprene pouch that fits the new N7 like a glove for €19.95. It's not the most stylish case, but it fits perfectly and offers decent protection, and the tablet still fits in my inside Jacket pocket with it on. It'll do till i find something better.

The bigger Tesco outlets seem to stock a decent range of tablet cases etc in comparison to the usual walk in places here. You can check the fit of whatever case you choose too, as they have the nexus on display in the store.
    That what I thought alright. I'm going abroad in early Jan and I really need to have some sort of protection for travelling with it. I might just pick up a cheap, generic sleeve for this trip and order a nicer case online. I really like those Dodo ones I oinked to earlier as well as these Portenzo ones: http://shop.portenzo.com/new-nexus-7/
    These ones made out of old books are also very cool: http://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/ReAuthored?section_id=10674760

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

I have an unused but open Poetic case for the N7 2013 if anybody interested.

cgc5483 wrote: »
    I have an unused but open Poetic case for the N7 2013 if anybody interested.
    I would be - how much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pinkman

Apologies if this has alread been asked but I am thinking of getting a Nexus 7 but what is putting me off is the lack of a micro sd slot to expand the memory. I have just ordered one of these mini micro sd card readers FROM http://www.meenova.com/ which appears to be perfect for the Nexus but what I am wondering is what the limit is in terms of the size of the micro sd card I put in it. A girl in Curry's said you can't connect anything more than 32gb to the Nexus but I've heard different elsewhere. Can anyone confirm if 32gb is indeed the limit of what you can connect to the Nexus 7 via a OTG cable or adapter . I have a potable 1tb Samsung Hard Drive and would like to be able to connect it to the Nexus. Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Pinkman wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if 32gb is indeed the limit of what you can connect to the Nexus 7 via a OTG cable or adapter . I have a potable 1tb Samsung Hard Drive and would like to be able to connect it to the Nexus. Cheers,

I've used a 750GB portable HDD on the Nexus 7 using the 'Nexus Media Importer' app when I first bought my Nexus 7. however there is a software glitch meaning I had to change the language to USA English and remove any lock screen security for OTG to work.

Since the 4.4 update I don't know if the OTG glitch is fixed without the work around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Accidentally i've bricked my chinese tablet .... not really accidentally ... but it happened when it stopped load in ... just some logo on screen was loading, managed get in to submenu, did data delete and factory reset option, but after which .. there was no change,...... then i downloaded software and new version of firmware, and managed to load in to it from pc... and after that that tablet wont even switch on ... :( and pc wont see it at all...

I am planing order nexus 32 gb v2 . with 2 gb ram, quad core cpu , my daughter goin to play games ... and myself sometimes will use bluetooth for diagnostic interface for cars or rambling in net while kid at the computer....

Anyone would recomend it ? goin to cost me something 200 GBP deliverd to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Where is the best walk in place to get the new N7? I know they retail at 249, but do ye know of anywhere doing any special deals?

Where is the best walk in place to get the new N7? I know they retail at 249, but do ye know of anywhere doing any special deals?

They're €249 everywhere for the 16gb version. PC world/currys were doing a deal for 30 cashback off that before Christmas but it's gone now. If you want it cheaper your best bet would be get it on Amazon or somewhere online, with a parcel motel delivery from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I paid €210 + VAT for a 32gb version from komplett.

They're €249 everywhere for the 16gb version. PC world/currys were doing a deal for 30 cashback off that before Christmas but it's gone now. If you want it cheaper your best bet would be get it on Amazon or somewhere online, with a parcel motel delivery from the UK.

Cheers. Just had a look at pcworld online, they're 239.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

There's a 32gb Nexus 7 for sale in xtravision in Trim at 159.99, it's the old one though, worth it or not?

scudzilla wrote: »
    There's a 32gb Nexus 7 for sale in xtravision in Trim at 159.99, it's the old one though, worth it or not?

Probably good value, but not for me.

I'm after the latest version.

I'm selling my iPad2 to fund it, so I want to go for something that's a good step up in terms of spec.

Anyone else here go from iPad2 to N7? I'd be keen to know of any feelings on the move.

Obviously, screen real estate is the biggest thing. The other thing is that I have an iRig for connecting my electric guitar to garage band on the iPad2, and I think I might miss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Probably good value, but not for me.

I'm after the latest version.

I'm selling my iPad2 to fund it, so I want to go for something that's a good step up in terms of spec.

Anyone else here go from iPad2 to N7? I'd be keen to know of any feelings on the move.

Obviously, screen real estate is the biggest thing. The other thing is that I have an iRig for connecting my electric guitar to garage band on the iPad2, and I think I might miss that.

I was in the same boat, in the end I kept the iPad2. I find the Nexus 7 and the iPad are actually pretty different and I still have uses for both. Besides, you will throw away all your App Stpre purchases if you sell the iPad, and you won't get that much for it.

• Advertisement

Arciphel wrote: »
    I was in the same boat, in the end I kept the iPad2. I find the Nexus 7 and the iPad are actually pretty different and I still have uses for both. Besides, you will throw away all your App Stpre purchases if you sell the iPad, and you won't get that much for it.

So you have both? Do you find yourself drawn more to one or the other?

I'm confident that I'll get enough for the ipad to cover the cost of the N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pinkman

Power City had the 16GB 2013 Nexus 7 reduced from €250 to €225 on New Years Day (10% Off). Was going to get it but want a 32gb. I was told by a member of staff in Curry's a few weeks ago to hold off buying it till the January sales as they are expected to drop by €30 or more. Still only a tenner off on the website so I am not sure when the reduction will happen. Some big price drops on them in the US though - Best Buy for example have the 16gb going for $199 - works out at €146. Shame they don't ship internationally.

...Anyone else here go from iPad2 to N7? I'd be keen to know of any feelings on the move...

I went from an iPad to the 16gb N7 and I really like it. It's lighter, more flexible in terms of usage and OS, easy to hold and operate one handed and has an exceptional screen quality and great battery life. It's much better for media and video applications because of the screen aspect and quality and the speaker positioning giving you stereo left and right sound in landscape mode.

In terms of drawbacks, the only real one i'd mention s the lack of an SD expansion slot, it would be great to be able to use SD cards for storage instead of relying on cloud storage and limited onboard space (a little over 12gb on the 16gb model after the OS and bundled apps) especially as the nexus is so good for media use, but I just limit my use to online services for music and media etc and try to avoid downloading a lot of large files. I would have much preferred an SD card slot to the (frankly pointless) front facing camera for the same price, or paying a little more for both, as the camera will pretty much never be used.

All in all, if you're happy with the lack of expansion options or don't mind using a little OTG cable to plug in a USB flash drive its a really top of the range tablet, especially for media rich applications, gaming, etc. Performance is very very smooth, and its thin, light, fast, and very stylish for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I went from an iPad to the 16gb N7 and I really like it. It's lighter, more flexible in terms of usage and OS, easy to hold and operate one handed and has an exceptional screen quality and great battery life. It's much better for media and video applications because of the screen aspect and quality and the speaker positioning giving you stereo left and right sound in landscape mode.

In terms of drawbacks, the only real one i'd mention s the lack of an SD expansion slot, it would be great to be able to use SD cards for storage instead of relying on cloud storage and limited onboard space (a little over 12gb on the 16gb model after the OS and bundled apps) especially as the nexus is so good for media use, but I just limit my use to online services for music and media etc and try to avoid downloading a lot of large files. I would have much preferred an SD card slot to the (frankly pointless) front facing camera for the same price, or paying a little more for both, as the camera will pretty much never be used.

All in all, if you're happy with the lack of expansion options or don't mind using a little OTG cable to plug in a USB flash drive its a really top of the range tablet, especially for media rich applications, gaming, etc. Performance is very very smooth, and its thin, light, fast, and very stylish for the price.

Agree with you and want to add, the days of a SD card on nexus devices are long gone, Google took them off a while back and have no plans to bring them back. However you can get add on adapters that help extend storage but sadly you cant really leave them permanently connected... still you could put movie/music and other non critical stuff on them or use the as a backup.

link here:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/12/12/sonys-tiny-usb-2-0-microusb-flash-drives-look-sweet-hit-stores-in-january-in-8-16-and-32gb-capacities/

god's toy wrote: »
    Agree with you and want to add, the days of a SD card on nexus devices are long gone, Google took them off a while back and have no plans to bring them back. However you can get add on adapters that help extend storage but sadly you cant really leave them permanently connected... still you could put movie/music and other non critical stuff on them or use the as a backup....

Yes, it's a bit of a design cock up by google if you ask me. I understand that they want to push people to use their ever increasing suite of online services like google play music and google drive etc, but in terms of broadband and wifi access their company mindset is a bit ahead of the times for the reality outside of places like the USA where wifi is cheap and everywhere. In Ireland, outside of Cork and Dublin city I struggle to find public wifi or G3 access fast enough to make cloud storage as seamless or useful as local storage, especially for accessing and transferring media and large files. A couple of 16 or 32gb SD cards in my jacket pocket would be a welcome alternative to trying to download a 4GB file on a prehistoric 2G connection somewhere in the middle of Leitrim or Roscommon. I'm hoping 4G when it arrives will eventually improve this situation but I won't hold my breath....

I use an OTG cable for connecting USB storage as well as peripherals, and it works, but as you mentioned its far from ideal in terms of portability of the device, and cables and micro drives hanging off your device are a good way to damage your data port. The beauty of an SD card slot is nothing protruding from the device, and cheap and plentiful storage, which makes the device itself much more versatile. I really think google missed a trick there, because anyone who needs (as opposed to would like) that capability will just pass by the nexus and shop for another device.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I use an OTG cable for connecting USB storage as well as peripherals, and it works, but as you mentioned its far from ideal in terms of portability of the device, and cables and micro drives hanging off your device are a good way to damage your data port.

Another idea is wifi mobile storage, some have huge capacity and are micro sd compatible, Ive seen ones with built in battery's too. some idea below.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/pqi-air-pen-wireless-wifi-micro-sd-mobile-storage-a85ln

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/seagate-satellite/

http://reviews.cnet.com/2733-6605_7-566-6.html

OK so it means having to bring another device around but its an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Has anyone noticed lag when using certain apps? Such as tweetcaster and dolphin (not accepting clicks when hitting a link?) I think it may be just an issue with these two applications though

Mc Love wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed lag when using certain apps? Such as tweetcaster and dolphin (not accepting clicks when hitting a link?) I think it may be just an issue with these two applications though

A little, yes. I see it in Chrome and the Play store. For example, sometimes I have to hit the Update button twice. Not sure if it's lag or a screen hardware issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

for some reason my nexus 7 won't install apps anymore. It just has a blue line going across saying installing...

• Advertisement

for some reason my nexus 7 won't install apps anymore. It just has a blue line going across saying installing...

Have you tried turning it off and back on again? ;)

Advertisement