Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I use the PlayTo (lite) android app and that's still working for me with PlayTo installed on the NowTV as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

vibe666 wrote: »
    I use the PlayTo (lite) android app and that's still working for me with PlayTo installed on the NowTV as well.

Ya its working fine for me as well its just that I have 2 NowTV boxes so I need to be able to rename them to differentiate them on the network so I know which one to send stuff to.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Any idea how I can rename my NowTV boxes so I can differentiate them on my network?

My Account => Manage Devices according to Jen-S

I saw that, but I'm not sure if it changes the device name on the device itself, or just on your accounts page?

also, if anyone hasn't had the update yet and wants to stop it, add a redirect in your router for windsor.sw.roku.com to 127.0.0.1 and that should (probably) stop it from updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

styron wrote: »
    My Account => Manage Devices according to Jen-S

that seems to just update the name in your online account but no change has propagated to the device itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Those having trouble with Plex, have you tried RARflix? It's basically the Plex client with a few customisations:
    RARflix Plex
    I've been running it for months without any problems on the older NowTV firmware.

Haven't received the new update myself yet, but I see the developer mode now requires a username and password, more details here:
    NowTV security enhancements

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

My 4OD is back working.
    ITV player plays the adds and then says 'somethings wrong' but it works when played from Rarflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I had problems with Plex after the Now TV upgrade. Streaming started pausing and would take an age to load. I run the Plex Media server on a Windows machine - and that was also updated recently. I downgraded the Plex software on the Windows, but that had no effect. I seem to have solved the problem by switching to Rarflix on the NowTv box. As an aside, accessing the developer option on the NowTV box has changed slightly. You know need to set a password and there's some new blurb screens. But the same keystrokes get you into the dev screen.

Another huge problem I have always had is with Plex and utorrent running on the same Windows machine. They seem to both fight for the same port and Plex Media server will not run properly if utorrent is running. Disabling uPnP in utorrent doesn't help. The solution I have found is to shut down utorrent whenever I need to stream from plex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

+1 for rarflix found it much better when I was using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Zilog wrote: »
    Those having trouble with Plex, have you tried RARflix? It's basically the Plex client with a few customisations:
    RARflix Plex
    I've been running it for months without any problems on the older NowTV firmware.

Haven't received the new update myself yet, but I see the developer mode now requires a username and password, more details here:
    NowTV security enhancements

Seems to have done the trick ! Will monitor but looks good - can resume watching with no errors. Muchos Gracias

• Advertisement

Hmm, Youtube is not working.

Is there anything to be said for an app that actually just works!

Here's the design requirements. Stick it into the TV via HDMI and provide a basic remote. It will do Netflix, youtube and plex - or even come up with different client/server model that allows subtitles. But this is just another perfect example of how this tech is ****. Someone changes something and now I can't watch a youtube video that I want to watch - and which I could watch last week. What is the point in having a box that could play youtube videos last week, but can't play them now! It already took me two hours to fix a different problem. The QA these days is shocking.

To be fair, it's a £40 box being sold for a tenner purely as a vehicle to sell sky products, it's not intended to be used for plex.

If you don't these little hiccups then just pay the full 40 quid for a proper roku (or any number similar devices) and you won't have any of these problems.

Also installed rarflix without issue and liking the extra features. It so easy to do, I was even able to install it on the NowTV directly from my phone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Must install and try Rarflix later. Sounds good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Installed Rarflix today and its working without a hitch, thanks for the tip.

Anyone know a way around playing mkv files on this? They play but there's no audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Double C wrote: »
    Installed Rarflix today and its working without a hitch, thanks for the tip.

Anyone know a way around playing mkv files on this? They play but there's no audio.

Is it the same procedure as installing Plex?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

adox wrote: »
    Is it the same procedure as installing Plex?

Yes it gets install the exact same way as Plex just select the Rarflix file, it will replace Flex if it was installed

OK, my NowTV has updated to new interface, RARflix client (Plex) is working perfectly after update, did not need to re-install. Like the new interface.

Tested some of the services (I'm running UnoTelly DNS service):
    Sky News - working OK
    BBC iPlayer - working OK
    Demand 5 - working OK
    4OD - working OK
    ITV player - intro banner and ads only play; guess UnoTelly doesn't have this service working yet

Anyone else running UnoTelly and have ITV working? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

This might be a silly question.

I am coming to the end of my free month if movies. If I cancel the movies will I still have access to the on demand programs, or does canceling get rid of everything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I am coming to the end of my free month if movies. If I cancel the movies will I still have access to the on demand programs, or does canceling get rid of everything?

It won't effect anything else on the box other than the NowTV app. You can use the rest as normal.

The "unsupported app store" for Plex is pretty good. Simple download and install instructions here:

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/108522-rel-unsupported-appstore-installer/?p=642803

G2G.fm is a very good online movie/TV show viewer that has all the latest movies etc. and works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭bromley52

If you are finished your paid/free service do not factory reset the box as you will you be unable to use it until you either get another free code or pay.

This happened to me. I did a factory reset on the day mine expired and you can imagine the string of expletives. I am thinking now on getting a cheap Sky sports pass on ebay for around £3.20 ~ €4.10 to reactivate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

bromley52 wrote: »
    If you are finished your paid/free service do not factory reset the box as you will you be unable to use it until you either get another free code or pay.

This happened to me. I did a factory reset on the day mine expired and you can imagine the string of expletives. I am thinking now on getting a cheap Sky sports pass on ebay for around £3.20 ~ €4.10 to reactivate.

Did you try just signing in. I signed in with my circa 8 year old sky account and no subscription.

moodrater wrote: »
    Did you try just signing in. I signed in with my circa 8 year old sky account and no subscription.

I must try that as I was signing in the with a/c I set up for the box itself. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I've UnoTelly and just get the intro banner for ITV but can't play the actual videos.

I've tried confirming my postcode (a London one) but it won't save it. Did you manage to set a post code and have it save?
    I used NW18TQ (remembered the old BBC Saturday morning shows!), don't know if it saved. Behaviour exactly as you describe when trying to play a show.

bromley52 wrote: »
    I must try that as I was signing in the with a/c I set up for the box itself. cheers
    I used my sky account when I set up box initially and I've never been able to get the BBC iPlayer working, no matter what DNS I use. :(

I don't know 100% that it's the cause, but just on the off chance it is, I thought I'd mention it.

I've UnoTelly and just get the intro banner for ITV but can't play the actual videos.

Had anyone contacted unotelly about it or tried it on a PC using the unotelly DNS settings?

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    I used my sky account when I set up box initially and I've never been able to get the BBC iPlayer working, no matter what DNS I use. :(

I don't know 100% that it's the cause, but just on the off chance it is, I thought I'd mention it.

Have you tried overplay.net?

Advertisement