Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

can you actually watch this on a tv? ive signed up for it assuming i could buy a nowtv box, or roku stick, and it would work.
    a bit pointless selling it to us if we can only watch on phone/pad or pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    can you actually watch this on a tv? ive signed up for it assuming i could buy a nowtv box, or roku stick, and it would work.
    a bit pointless selling it to us if we can only watch on phone/pad or pc.

You can in the UK where it's a very good value and very convenient method of watching SKY premium content on demand, here it just seems to be a very cynical attempt to counter the anti-piracy lobby by making SKY only shows (e.g. Game of Thrones & other HBO fare) available without a full SKY sub combined with another very handy means to gouge the Oirish cash cow in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Dave..M wrote: »
    You can in the UK where it's a very good value and very convenient method of watching SKY premium content on demand, here it just seems to be a very cynical attempt to counter the anti-piracy lobby by making SKY only shows (e.g. Game of Thrones & other HBO fare) available without a full SKY sub combined with another very handy means to gouge the Oirish cash cow in the process.

if you have an LG TV you just need to change the region to "uk" and install the app.

I have it running along side netflix and to be honest i use it ten times as much. The Movie pass and entertainment pass give you catch upand live channels.

I've become hooked to some of the cooking and food shows on Vice TV!!

That combined with the odd Sports day pass i find it very useful and not bad value.

I buy all my passes on Ebay, much cheaper and generally delivered within the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

eoinf wrote: »
    if you have an LG TV you just need to change the region to "uk" and install the app.

I have it running along side netflix and to be honest i use it ten times as much. The Movie pass and entertainment pass give you catch upand live channels.

I've become hooked to some of the cooking and food shows on Vice TV!!

That combined with the odd Sports day pass i find it very useful and not bad value.

I buy all my passes on Ebay, much cheaper and generally delivered within the hour.

I have the app on my TV but it wont allow me to sign in with my Irish account so do i need a UK account do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I have the app on my TV but it wont allow me to sign in with my Irish account so do i need a UK account do you know?

Create a UK one and buy ebay passes. Use a UK postcode for your address.

• Advertisement

Create a brand new account use a dummy email address or simply add a dot to your gmail account it'll think its a new email (firstlast@gmail.com can also be used as first.last@gmail.com)

you also need a non irish credit card.

use https://revolut.com/

piss easy to setup and works a treat, throw a tenner in it and get it up and running with a free trial and cancel the subscription. you can transfer the tenner back to yourself after.

then use ebay to buy your passes.

I used my Irish visa debit card when setting up my account. I used the vouchers straight off. Never have made a single payment with my card.
    Have both an lg TV and a box working.

I used my Irish visa debit card when setting up my account. I used the vouchers straight off. Never have made a single payment with my card.

UK Address?

UK Address?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Same here, and fingers crossed they haven't found me out yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I use my Irish card for 3 different passes. Never a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I've bought plenty of passes direct from Now UK using my Irish debit card. There is no need to get a Revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The cheap eBay passes are potentially going to dry up soon though - I think a lot of these were coming from guys reselling on the Now TV boxes as dodgy boxes using Plex - and getting a few quid back from the pass. Can't do this anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I got it working just used parcel motel's postcode and my own Irish debit card

I got it working just used parcel motel's postcode and my own Irish debit card

word of warning using parcel motel, I got a piece of junk mail directed to the parcel motel from Argos once and delivered to the petrol station , cost me 4 quid to get a one page promotional letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

word of warning using parcel motel, I got a piece of junk mail directed to the parcel motel from Argos once and delivered to the petrol station , cost me 4 quid to get a one page promotional letter.

PM usually recredit for junk mail - I'd email them, particularly if you've still got the delivery photo in your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I just bought a box from argos uk... comes with a 4 month kid's pass

What's best to do now?

Can I register an Irish account and activate the box for now tv Ireland? Would the 4 month pass still work?

Or is the box tied to working with a UK account? Is the pass tied to a UK account?

If I need a UK account - is it as simple as using my mother in law's UK address? Can I then purchases passes in the future using an Irish debit/credit card? Or should I use revolut?

I'm kinda hoping that I didn't buy a dud piece of plastic..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

lawred2 wrote: »
    I just bought a box from argos uk... comes with a 4 month kid's pass

What's best to do now?

Can I register an Irish account and activate the box for now tv Ireland? Would the 4 month pass still work?

Or is the box tied to working with a UK account? Is the pass tied to a UK account?

If I need a UK account - is it as simple as using my mother in law's UK address? Can I then purchases passes in the future using an Irish debit/credit card? Or should I use revolut?

I'm kinda hoping that I didn't buy a dud piece of plastic..

Use your in laws address and your Irish Debit/Credit Card. Do not use the 4 month pass until your 2 week free pass is near ending. At that stage you will know your new a/c is fine. (You get a 2 week free pass on opening uk account)

givecredit wrote: »
    Use your in laws address and your Irish Debit/Credit Card. Do not use the 4 month pass until your 2 week free pass is near ending. At that stage you will know your new a/c is fine. (You get a 2 week free pass on opening uk account)

thanks

If I activate with a UK account and they subsequently blat the account - will I then be able to use the box with an Irish account and Irish passes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

thanks

If I activate with a UK account and they subsequently blat the account - will I then be able to use the box with an Irish account and Irish passes?

If you can, hold on to your UK account. If you have a UK address and your email address is non-geographic, you are in the driving seat.

• Advertisement

If you can, hold on to your UK account. If you have a UK address and your email address is non-geographic, you are in the driving seat.

Would gmail be non geographic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Would gmail be non geographic?

Yep. Any .com would also be.

thanks

If they block the account. I would just try again opening new account, different email. UK a/c is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Hi, just wondering if this will work on an android TV box using the app?

Can I install the android app, open a new UK account (Irish cc but can use sister's UK address) get the 2 week free trial & then buy passes off eBay?!

Would there be any advantage to buying a UK box from Argos UK if I already have an android box?

Thanks in advance! :)

unreg999 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if this will work on an android TV box using the app?

Can I install the android app, open a new UK account (Irish cc but can use sister's UK address) get the 2 week free trial & then buy passes off eBay?!

Would there be any advantage to buying a UK box from Argos UK if I already have an android box?

Thanks in advance! :)

If your android box is rooted and it does not hide the fact that it has a HDMI output it will not work with the Nowtv APP. The only Android boxes I know off that work with NowTV is Minix.

The Now tv box has a way better user experience/interface than Android app. That said, if you do not have a smart dns systemin place the Now Tv box will be full of apps you cannot use, Iplayer, ITV Hub etc...

Then a roku comes into play. But they are retailing at over £50 at the moment.

givecredit wrote:
    If your android box is rooted and it does not hide the fact that it has a HDMI output it will not work with the Nowtv APP. The only Android boxes I know off that work with NowTV is Minix.

givecredit wrote:
    The Now tv box has a way better user experience/interface than Android app. That said, if you do not have a smart dns systemin place the Now Tv box will be full of apps you cannot use, Iplayer, ITV Hub etc...

givecredit wrote:
    Then a roku comes into play. But they are retailing at over £50 at the moment.

Thank you for that response!

I don't have a Minix box so I guess that's out the window!
    Would a Now TV Smart box ( or is that the Roku?) work better than the cheaper 'dumb' one from Argos?

How would one get a smart DNS system in place? ;)

unreg999 wrote: »
    Would a Now TV Smart box ( or is that the Roku?) work better than the cheaper 'dumb' one from Argos?

How would one get a smart DNS system in place? ;)

If you are going down the smart dns route, then the regular one is good enough.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-TV-Month-Entertainment-Pass/dp/B013SGATVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495279663&sr=8-1&keywords=nowtv

The Smart one has a DTT tuner, But i do not like the fact u cannot rearrange channel order on it, so you end up with irish channels all over the place, with test channels inbetween.

Roku: Over priced at the moment:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roku-Streaming-Player-Faster-Processor/dp/B00VRAZ700/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1495279811&sr=1-3&keywords=roku

Getflix is your friend for a smarter life..............

givecredit wrote:
    If you are going down the smart dns route, then the regular one is good enough.

The regular one is £14.99 on the Argos UK website at the moment! With 3 months free :)
    Presume it's the same & can go to PM...

Can you recommend a DNS?

givecredit wrote:
    Getflix is your friend for a smarter life..............

Or is that the DNS option? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,301 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just quick mention again that the app is available on the PS3/Ps4 if you have one.

Interface is average but it works.

Advertisement