Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knealecat

If I buy a pass from the uk will it work on an Irish account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

knealecat wrote: »
    If I buy a pass from the uk will it work on an Irish account?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

...so no real point in keeping this box anymore.

All in all, a 101 in how to destroy a good business model by Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Tazz T wrote: »
    ...so no real point in keeping this box anymore.

All in all, a 101 in how to destroy a good business model by Sky.

Still working fine for me here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

rogercross wrote: »
    Still working fine for me here.

But only because you're using a DNS.

The attraction of Now TV (UK) was that it was very cheap and very simple.

Being blocked from the UK service means it is no longer cheap. Having to use a DNS erodes the simplicity of it.

I still have the box sitting there because I can watch live until my passes run out, but when they do, it's gone.

• Advertisement

But only because you're using a DNS.

The attraction of Now TV (UK) was that it was very cheap and very simple.

Being blocked from the UK service means it is no longer cheap. Having to use a DNS erodes the simplicity of it.

I still have the box sitting there because I can watch live until my passes run out, but when they do, it's gone.

Meh, my DNS is a lifetime subscription, I've had it for like a year or two now, so NowTV is still as cheap as its always been for me, no further costs per month, still got full live tv and on demand and with a bit of tweaking on my network I've got that box as the only device using that DNS now so no concerns on privacy for the rest of my devices.

The ip also auto updates on my router to Getflix every ten minutes so zero intervention needed from me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

rogercross wrote:
    Meh, my DNS is a lifetime subscription, I've had it for like a year or two now, so NowTV is still as cheap as its always been for me, no further costs per month, still got full live tv and on demand and with a bit of tweaking on my network I've got that box as the only device using that DNS now so no concerns on privacy for the rest of my devices.

rogercross wrote:
    The ip also auto updates on my router to Getflix every ten minutes so zero intervention needed from me :-)

What is the name of the DNS subscription?

IrishHomer wrote: »
    What is the name of the DNS subscription?

Getflix, you may need to wait for another lifetime sub to come in though if you're looking now, they come in waves on different deals sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

rogercross wrote:
    Getflix, you may need to wait for another lifetime sub to come in though if you're looking now, they come in waves on different deals sites.

I've noticed with lots of these companies if you buy a short period, then leave they quickly email you with seriously discounted offers like the lifetime offer

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I've noticed with lots of these companies if you buy a short period, then leave they quickly email you with seriously discounted offers like the lifetime offer

Thats true, i was with them and their sister site smartdnsproxy and they did fairly good deals especially around occasions like mothers day, fathers day, valentines, essentially any excuse day :-)

You can always try the 14 day trial in the meantime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭skydish79

Which router are you using?

skydish79 wrote: »
    Which router are you using?

TP LINK running DD WRT

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭woidoi

TP LINK running DD WRT

I have Getflix and a Linksys running DD-WRT so my setup should be comparable to yours. I'm not able to get NOW TV working the way you have managed despite following the advice on the Getflix site. Any pointers for where and what you put in the DNS and how you got it only to forward from the NOW TV box and nothing else? If that's too big an ask and you found a good tutorial you might link to it when you have the time. :)

Cheers in advance.

woidoi wrote: »
    I have Getflix and a Linksys running DD-WRT so my setup should be comparable to yours. I'm not able to get NOW TV working the way you have managed despite following the advice on the Getflix site. Any pointers for where and what you put in the DNS and how you got it only to forward from the NOW TV box and nothing else? If that's too big an ask and you found a good tutorial you might link to it when you have the time. :)

Cheers in advance.

I used my TP Link as a second access point, set the Getflix DNS on that only and then connected the Now Tv box to it, via a different wifi SSID (direct ethernet cable is also an option). Rest of the house connects on a virgin media router and still uses virgins default DNS

I used my TP Link as a second access point, set the Getflix DNS on that only and then connected the Now Tv box to it, via a different wifi SSID (direct ethernet cable is also an option). Rest of the house connects on a virgin media router and still uses virgins default DNS

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I use my Linksys to cover the entire ground floor of my house so we don't have exactly the same setup - there is a way using DD-WRT to only let the NOW TV box use the Getflix DNS while routing everything else through the usual DNS servers, but that's for another day.

So on >Setup>Basic Setup>Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) - you set Static DNS 1 to 54.72.70.84 and you put your scripts for auto-update your ip into >Administration>Commands - does that sound about right? Or was there something else you needed to do?

Thanks again for your help. :)

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I use my Linksys to cover the entire ground floor of my house so we don't have exactly the same setup - there is a way using DD-WRT to only let the NOW TV box use the Getflix DNS while routing everything else through the usual DNS servers, but that's for another day.

So on >Setup>Basic Setup>Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) - you set Static DNS 1 to 54.72.70.84 and you put your scripts for auto-update your ip into >Administration>Commands - does that sound about right? Or was there something else you needed to do?

Thanks again for your help. :)

No thats it, put 2 DNS entries in though, find another server e.g the UK or Germany server as your second Getflix DNS

No thats it, put 2 DNS entries in though, find another server e.g the UK or Germany server as your second Getflix DNS

Thanks again for the swift reply. Yeah I was afraid of that. I have actually done all of that but I'm still getting service only available in the UK. There's a lot of variables at play though - Version of DD-WRT, internet provider - I'm with Digiweb and they may change all DNS requests back to their servers.

I'll keep trying things to see if I can make it work.

Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Thanks again for the swift reply. Yeah I was afraid of that. I have actually done all of that but I'm still getting service only available in the UK. There's a lot of variables at play though - Version of DD-WRT, internet provider - I'm with Digiweb and they may change all DNS requests back to their servers.

I'll keep trying things to see if I can make it work.

Thanks for all the help.

From memory turning off region D helps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

YMMV re this tip

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/1-month-sky-cinema-entertainment-pass-for-1-00-now-tv-new-customers-2705500
    If are getting this deal and you need a bit more time to binge watch Game of Thrones consider doing one or both of the following:
    * If you already have a Chromecast, this 3 month £5 entertainment deal should be usable immediately after you've signed up to the deal here.
    * You'll often find big discount offers on Now TV streaming boxes on hotukdeals. You don't really want (or if you've a smart TV, computer, chromecast or tablet even need), to use the streaming boxes, instead what you're really after is the enclosed passes that give you discounted subscriptions. E.g. Argos are currently offering boxes with 6 months entertainment pass and 4 month cinema pass for £19.99 each.

You need to be careful about the order in which you apply the offers. Now TV don't allow you to "stack" a new offer until you are in the final month of a "contract". So if you were to enter a 6 month pass first, you could not use this newbie offer or the chromecast deal.

Ideally you'd enter the Newbie deal first. Then as it's only a one month deal, you can immediately enter the chromecast deal. Then in 3 months, you can enter the 6 month pass from the Argos deal. This would give you 10 months Entertainment for just £25.99, (A 63% saving over the £6.99 full price monthly entertainment "contract").

You could however "stack" a cinema, sport or kids deal while in the middle of a 6 month entertainment pass. Each one is considered a separate "contract".

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

Is it still possible to buy one of the NOW TV boxes and change the DNS to a uk one easily to get to watch 40D and BBC iplayer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

An Cigire wrote: »
    Is it still possible to buy one of the NOW TV boxes and change the DNS to a uk one easily to get to watch 40D and BBC iplayer?

You can't change the DNS on the box, you'll have to do it in your router settings.

4OD isn't geo locked, you can watch it here

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    You can't change the DNS on the box, you'll have to do it in your router settings.

4OD isn't geo locked, you can watch it here

Ah ok.. i couldn't get it on my smart TV..

So if I buy the box with no subscription I can watch 4OD on it straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

An Cigire wrote: »
    Ah ok.. i couldn't get it on my smart TV..

So if I buy the box with no subscription I can watch 4OD on it straight away?

Yup, works Perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

I've a couple of old white UK boxes that I haven't used in YEARS. What is the current status of these ? Are they good for anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

long_b wrote: »
    I've a couple of old white UK boxes that I haven't used in YEARS. What is the current status of these ? Are they good for anything ?

I still use mine regularly for 4OD. Pretty sure you could use it for BBC iPlayer etc as well, if you got a VPN/DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I was still able to top up the UK box no problem using a voucher bought on ebay. Catch Up content has been blocked alright but Live is still going fine. This is on the older white box.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

Yea, live movie channels are still working ok(i have white and black box). Plus if you go to watch a film live you have the option to watch it from the start, not quite on demand but better than old school having to organise your night around a film start time :O !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭gussieg

Whoa check out the Irish prices for the same service - double double double

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I have not got a chance to check it, but I am told the full NowTV UK service is working again in Ireland. Has anyone else noticed this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

givecredit wrote:
    I have not got a chance to check it, but I am told the full NowTV UK service is working again in Ireland. Has anyone else noticed this?

Sure is cheers for the heads up !

Advertisement