Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭PreCocious

rogercross wrote: »
    What provider were you using and which one did you switch to? Mine was worse, I was blocked via box and browser.

I was using Unlocator and moved to Unotelly.

It's concerning that they've started to block. The providers put massive effort into responding to netflix unblocking (to no reall effect in tbe end) but I inagine this is too niche a market to tnrow resources at (from a DNS provider's perspective).

As an aside - I reset my box and did have to supply my NowTV credentials before it could be setup. They were accepted but launching the app re-requested my credentials and they were then rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Maybe they should, you know, just get on with it and launch the product here? The only reason I can think that they have not done this to date is that the fear it may cannibalise their very lucrative Sky Ireland business. In the UK things are different though due to their other large competitors and strong Freeview usage. But we Irish love streaming, you can just see that by the huge take-up of Netflix in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

JDxtra wrote: »
    Maybe they should, you know, just get on with it and launch the product here? The only reason I can think that they have not done this to date is that the fear it may cannibalise their very lucrative Sky Ireland business. In the UK things are different though due to their other large competitors and strong Freeview usage. But we Irish love streaming, you can just see that by the huge take-up of Netflix in this country.

Its a shame they don't have this even in a cut down form here, theres plenty who would jump at it.

PreCocious wrote: »
    I was using Unlocator and moved to Unotelly.

It's concerning that they've started to block. The providers put massive effort into responding to netflix unblocking (to no reall effect in tbe end) but I inagine this is too niche a market to tnrow resources at (from a DNS provider's perspective).

As an aside - I reset my box and did have to supply my NowTV credentials before it could be setup. They were accepted but launching the app re-requested my credentials and they were then rejected.

It seems to be almost like 2 layers of logins, if you play dumb with the chat agents they'll send you a password reset form which you can use to reset your password and it'll log you into your account successfully so you can manage your account, passes, devices etc, but if you try to login then on a device for the purpose of viewing content that part of the account is still locked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

I didn't know you could sign out of the account and keep the box working?

Yep, it works fine. Most people use these boxes for Plex or other apps rather than NOW TV. But that's another story which is probably best not discussed here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Is everyone getting cancelled or is pot (un)luck?

I was getting blank screens some days ago but just restarted the boxes and all went well.

I've been away from home for a few days and don't want to try it out now in case I raise a flag and get blocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Mines working fine. I don't use a VPN or DNS service. Sounds like they are locking some people out who are - maybe in case they are using the boxes outside UK/Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

no VPN or DNS here either using an app on my LG TV.

hopefully they keep working just invested in a few 6 months pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Can ppl who have been blocked share what VPN/DNS provider they are using?
    I bought my box 10 days ago and I've been trying to set it up since to no avail... i've tried both Getflix and Unotelly. Unotelly support working (apparently) v. proactively and have been trying different things including "changing things on their end" (not sure what it means). I can access the service from my Mac (standard definition though) but neither from NowTV box nor app on Xbox one (both supposed to be HD)

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Can ppl who have been blocked share what VPN/DNS provider they are using?
    I bought my box 10 days ago and I've been trying to set it up since to no avail... i've tried both Getflix and Unotelly. Unotelly support working (apparently) v. proactively and have been trying different things including "changing things on their end" (not sure what it means). I can access the service from my Mac (standard definition though) but neither from NowTV box nor app on Xbox one (both supposed to be HD)

Getflix, last time i chatted with a support person from NowTv last year they thought I was in the US based on IP information they were seeing on my account, so "VPN for work" excuse not a problem, this time i was fully exposed as being in Ireland, so deactivation stayed in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Mine was working sound when i got home last night. Genuinely scared of losing this service!:(

Another thing i noticed the other day around the time i was trying to get the accounts unlocked again, I was trying logins from my web browser, every so often i was getting a SKY ID error code when i went to the login page, before i even had the chance to enter any credentials, the code is not a new one but it is associated with a VPN block/error according to google

Interesting development for NowTV possibly... true UK will come out of the EU but Sky has large operation in Germany and Italy so they may be pushed to take a homogeneous approach.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/08/new-eu-rules-will-remove-geoblocking-so-customers-can-use-online-subscription-services-like-netflix-abroad/

"The European Union is laying out plans to enforce new laws that breakdown geographical barriers for online subscription services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Apple Music. When the new regulations come into effect in early 2018, online services must provide a service to its customers regardless of their current location, as long as they stay within the EU [...]"

Interesting development for NowTV possibly... true UK will come out of the EU but Sky has large operation in Germany and Italy so they may be pushed to take a homogeneous approach.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/08/new-eu-rules-will-remove-geoblocking-so-customers-can-use-online-subscription-services-like-netflix-abroad/

"The European Union is laying out plans to enforce new laws that breakdown geographical barriers for online subscription services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Apple Music. When the new regulations come into effect in early 2018, online services must provide a service to its customers regardless of their current location, as long as they stay within the EU [...]"

Interesting! If the UK weren't planning on leaving the EU that would have made things much easier. I would love to know what prompted the sudden bans though for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This applies more to holiday-makers than permanent residents though - it is so that a UK resident could take their Now TV or Netflix on holiday rather than full free movement of content.

Full free movement is a bit away - for example in some countries you can get all football channels for less than a tenner a month online.

Whether this will do any good or not I have a suppose case open with Getflix to see what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Another thing i noticed the other day around the time i was trying to get the accounts unlocked again, I was trying logins from my web browser, every so often i was getting a SKY ID error code when i went to the login page, before i even had the chance to enter any credentials, the code is not a new one but it is associated with a VPN block/error according to google

Error code 105 by any chance?
    I'm getting this now and can't access live TV...

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Error code 105 by any chance?
    I'm getting this now and can't access live TV...

No it was a different code, can't remember it now, i tried Unotelly last night using another account, account didn't get shutdown but when i tried to access on demand it said this was only usable in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Working fine for me on both box and Chromecast, without using any VPN

Working fine for me on both box and Chromecast, without using any VPN

Its possible they're only targeting VPN/DNS and not irish ISPs. I might try just using my regular Virgin Media DNS and see what happens.

• Advertisement

Its possible they're only targeting VPN/DNS and not irish ISPs. I might try just using my regular Virgin Media DNS and see what happens.
    Let us know how you get on...
    After 10 days of not being able to set up my new NowTV box w/Unotelly y'day I was able to login on the app for Xbox, start streaming an episode but after 10 minutes I got an error message saying "Sorry the NowTV service is not available at the moment". I hit "back", clicked on the same episode and it would start again but stop after about 5-10min with the same error message.

Oddly, as I mentioned before, I can connect and view content correctly from the website on my Mac.

Let us know how you get on...
    After 10 days of not being able to set up my new NowTV box w/Unotelly y'day I was able to login on the app for Xbox, start streaming an episode but after 10 minutes I got an error message saying "Sorry the NowTV service is not available at the moment". I hit "back", clicked on the same episode and it would start again but stop after about 5-10min with the same error message.

Oddly, as I mentioned before, I can connect and view content correctly from the website on my Mac.

There's definitely some sort of messing going on with them at the moment, might be a good idea for anyone who hasn't been blocked to lie low, i'm thinking maybe my ip address has been flagged or something. I've had no response from Getflix yet either aside from "its been passed onto an engineer"

So Getflix's response was to turn off Channel Group B on their console:

https://www.getflix.com.au/manage/regions

To restart devices and try again, I've no idea why this would work but ill give it a go. Not majorly confident in that response.

So Getflix's response was to turn off Channel Group B on their console:

https://www.getflix.com.au/manage/regions

To restart devices and try again, I've no idea why this would work but ill give it a go. Not majorly confident in that response.

Ok that worked, getflix with channel group b disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I'm on smartdnsproxy but can't see a way of disabling channel B...

Delboy5 wrote: »
    I'm on smartdnsproxy but can't see a way of disabling channel B...

Smartdnsproxy may not have the same options on the interface however it is a sister company to getflix so if you log a case with them they should be able to make the same adjustment on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭PreCocious

Smartdnsproxy may not have the same options on the interface however it is a sister company to getflix so if you log a case with them they should be able to make the same adjustment on their site

After getting back into nowtv using Unotelly I was locked out again last night and this time was account was totally disabled on Unotelly and Smartdns. I reactivated an old account and was able to use the free trial with an Irish credit card.

Beginning to think this could start to become a game of cat and mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

PreCocious wrote: »
    After getting back into nowtv using Unotelly I was locked out again last night and this time was account was totally disabled on Unotelly and Smartdns. I reactivated an old account and was able to use the free trial with an Irish credit card.

Beginning to think this could start to become a game of cat and mouse.

Hopefully all these shenanigans will be gone soon:
    http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2017/02/07-portability-digital-content-services/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This won't help people living in Ireland, it is for going on holidays etc

• Advertisement

I've been up and running again since that getflix update, no problems so far.

Advertisement