Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Am i reading that previously linked forum correctly in that you can currently undo the latest nowtv update and re-enable dev mode..........but shortly even this will be disabled......!!

Whats the cheapest way of getting a Plex client on your TV if this box is fcuked!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

I've seen a post from a Rep on the NOW TV forum saying that there are no updates planned that are being mentioned (i.e. blocking developer mode being enabled to install third party apps).

I know they made the announcement, but, it seems that they may have been a bit premature as doing something like that breach with contract with Roku as it would alter the box.

Now, whether it's true or not, everyone should just take a deep breath and relax! Remember, there's always more than one way to skin a cat..........or more than one device that you can use to install some aforementioned apps on...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

BandMember wrote: »
    I've seen a post from a Rep on the NOW TV forum saying that there are no updates planned that are being mentioned (i.e. blocking developer mode being enabled to install third party apps).

I know they made the announcement, but, it seems that they may have been a bit premature as doing something like that breach with contract with Roku as it would alter the box.

Now, whether it's true or not, everyone should just take a deep breath and relax! Remember, there's always more than one way to skin a cat..........or more than one device that you can use to install some aforementioned apps on...... ;)

Link, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Wakerlink.jpg
    Link, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Update just wiped Plex from my nowtv box.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Update just wiped Plex from my nowtv box.

Did you try the exercise at the top of this page?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Did you try the exercise at the top of this page?

No but I'm hearing reports that it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

Sheesh. Just do it

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Kilteragh

I haven't tried this yet but...

Apparently, you can stop Now TV boxes from automatically applying the update if you haven't already received it. The trick is to get into the "Platform Secret Screen" using a button combination similar to the one that lets you enable developer mode in the first place. From the main homescreen, use the remote to punch in:

Home, Home, Home, Home, Home, Fast Forward, Play, Rewind, Play, Fast Forward

You should end up on the Platform Secret Screen. From there, head into the "System Operations Menu" and "Disable network pings." Close out and everything on the Now TV box should continue to work as normal, it just won't check for platform updates anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

Kilteragh wrote:
    Apparently, you can stop Now TV boxes from automatically applying the update if you haven't already received it. The trick is to get into the "Platform Secret Screen" using a button combination similar to the one that lets you enable developer mode in the first place. From the main homescreen, use the remote to punch in:

Kilteragh wrote:
    You should end up on the Platform Secret Screen. From there, head into the "System Operations Menu" and "Disable network pings." Close out and everything on the Now TV box should continue to work as normal, it just won't check for platform updates anymore

Kilteragh wrote:
    Home, Home, Home, Home, Home, Fast Forward, Play, Rewind, Play, Fast Forward

Kilteragh wrote:

Kilteragh wrote:
    I haven't tried this yet but...

Kilteragh wrote:

Do NOT do this, PLEX will be wiped immediately, although it will be wiped anyway as the now tv box updates, also the workaround to access developer mode posted here previously has also now been disabled, raging!

• Advertisement

Do NOT do this, PLEX will be wiped immediately, although it will be wiped anyway as the now tv box updates, also the workaround to access developer mode posted here previously has also now been disabled, raging!

So are we awaiting the complete lockdown of the Nowtv box, and, I assume, the smart box version as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

I just disabled network pings rebooted and it didn't remove Plex..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

So are we awaiting the complete lockdown of the Nowtv box, and, I assume, the smart box version as well?

It's bricked so far as plex users go!

It will mate, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Does a factory reset leave the latest update intact?

A possible solution from Raevelyn on the NowTV forum to try preserve Plex by switching to a redundant update server - requires running the box solely in developer mode though dedicated to Plex ... less of a sacrifice for those with a couple of boxes:
    Something i found interesting tonight, while playing around in advanced settings i discovered that changing the channel store server to a certain one appears to prevent the box from being able to call home or receive updates. However it comes at a huge cost and it would only benefit those people who us their black box for plex and only plex and want to try prevent NowTVs plan to remove dev mode and is an alternative way of doing it in your router (which many people cant do).

Be warned that i have tried this only on the 'standard black box', not the white one, not the smart one and if you do this you will loose all apps on your box except the developer app, that means nowtv, bbc, itv, all4, 5 etc will be gone. It will also remove the nowtv overview pages (the main homepage advertising programmes and the second option showing the recent programmes for the 5 channels). You be left with the apps page with only plex, a non usable app store and the settings page! You will not be able to access the app store and/or install any other apps. Further more it will take a factory reset to restore your box back to normal (via th epin method or settings menu), simply unpluging it or restarting it will not do the trick. (on a side note it also means you can safely unplug the box without it reverting backto its full capacity on next power up).

Proceed at your own peril.

First sign out of the nowtv app and then return to the homepage. Press Home x 5 + FF x 3 + RW x 2 on the remote to get a secret settings page. Scroll to the 'cycle channel store server' option and press ok until it displays "api.staging2.roku.com". Press home button, then restart the box via the option in the settings page. After restart try a manual update, it should take much longer than normal and eventually gives up as a fail. (no error is displayed).

Whether this will last i dont know. The boxes are designed to call home so maybe after a while of not being able to do so they will get suspicious and fail to work and you'll be forced to factory reset - only time will tell. The other thing that could happen is that they decide to push updates down this currently non working server. (OVTR test showed no responce but its possible this is only temporary).

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Forum-Info-Off-Topic-Chat/Developer-mode-no-longer-working/td-p/420421/highlight/true/page/13

*EDIT - box updates sadly
    ‎Raevelyn 17-03-2017 17:03
    Well the main reason i called in was to update on the method i posted.. it doesnt work it just delays it. The update still managed to get pushed through

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Hmm. My reading of the Now TV forum and the Endgaget link seems to suggest that once the box has been updated to the latest firmware you're funked. If you manage to stop pings before this, you might be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

My three Plex nowtv boxes just got fcuked. And I had done that "trick" to stop pings before.
    I guess thats the end of that.
    Anyone know what I should do for a replacement since nowtv boxes are useless now.
    Thanks Sky.
    Edit:

Anyone want a few door stops.
    Problem solved.
    I had a couple of old android sticks, so just installed plex on them. Need a remote for it now as the phone is awkward. Looks like remotes can be got for a fiver so I'll order a couple but for now the phone can control it.

76544567 wrote: »
    My three Plex nowtv boxes just got fcuked. And I had done that "trick" to stop pings before.
    I guess thats the end of that.
    Anyone know what I should do for a replacement since nowtv boxes are useless now.
    Thanks Sky.
    Edit:

Anyone want a few door stops.
    Problem solved.
    I had a couple of old android sticks, so just installed plex on them. Need a remote for it now as the phone is awkward. Looks like remotes can be got for a fiver so I'll order a couple but for now the phone can control it.

You can get an app on your phone to control the roku sticks, or have you already got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

You can get an app on your phone to control the roku sticks, or have you already got it.

I have that thanks. Need the remote control for any women that use it :)
    They refuse to use anything but the remote.
    Actually I'm finding the Plex on the android stick better than the roku one tbh

That sucks. Hoping some clever buckos solve the prob. 2 door stops here too

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Balls, I had been plugging mine out every night but it's has updated today during the day! Fcek it!

Think I'll have to invest in a Roku..

• Advertisement

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Balls, I had been plugging mine out every night but it's has updated today during the day! Fcek it!

Think I'll have to invest in a Roku..

Took a chance on one of these bad boys. Will use plex on ps4 or ps3 until it arrives. Could be gash but for 20 bucks, how wrong can it go
    http://m.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_401687.html?currency=USD&vip=759983&gclid=CJam5frP3tICFe6w7QodUwgOJQ
    Got it through ebay with paypal tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

A coincidence that these boxes are all getting wipped out with a software update, only a month or two after Sky were forced to come clean and admit some of their staff were testing the NowTV boxes in Ireland ? .... looks like NowTV will be launching in Ireland fairly sharpish.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Yup my two boxes were updated last night even though I had tried the fix mentioned above.
    Only use now is YouTube and channel 4.
    We had been using them for UK channels through the brilliant Artesea add-on.
    Ah well...We have gotten the value out of them for the last few years considering how cheap they were.

Anybody recommend a box or stick that will do the UK TV and the RTEs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

garrettod wrote: »
    A coincidence that these boxes are all getting wipped out with a software update, only a month or two after Sky were forced to come clean and admit some of their staff were testing the NowTV boxes in Ireland ? .... looks like NowTV will be launching in Ireland fairly sharpish.
    Unrelated. All boxes are impacted, even ones on the UK. By the way - what is your source for Sky staff testing the boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I have a version of plex on mine, it's a skinned version, bought of a stream seller. Still there as of this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah mine gone too. **** you Sky. Best move I ever made leaving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Both mine gone. Using plex now on PS4 and its working great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

adox wrote: »

Why not use the "Play to" app in the Nowtv store. Install this on your nowtv box. On your Android phone install the "Playto" app and Plex app. Configure the "playto" on your phone to play to Nowtv. In Plex app settings on phone choose external player and select "playto"

Your stream will open on nowtv. Watch your plex on Nowtv!

This also works with other android streaming apps that let you choose external players. Just choose external player on the app and select "playto"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just ordered a Roku 3 Box on Amazon.. Raging but sure these things happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

adox wrote: »

I think it's very amusing how angry people are at Sky over this. You got basically a free box from them and now you're annoyed because you can't use it for illegal purposes. Seems a bit unreasonable.

Advertisement