Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I think it's very amusing how angry people are at Sky over this. You got basically a free box from them and now you're annoyed because you can't use it for illegal purposes. Seems a bit unreasonable.

Not everything on Plex or the other apps people used were illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Not everything on Plex or the other apps people used were illegal.

No, that's true.

But I'll bet it's the illegal functions that people are annoyed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

No, that's true.

But I'll bet it's the illegal functions that people are annoyed over.

There's always one:rolleyes: Did you become a Boardie to moan???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

JDxtra wrote: »
    Unrelated. All boxes are impacted, even ones on the UK. By the way - what is your source for Sky staff testing the boxes?

It came up a couple of months ago on the Talk To Sky forum on Boards, a member posted that a mate of his who worked for Sky was testing a box, then after a bit of ducking and diving, Sky finally admitted that some staff were testing NowTV boxes (but they would not commit to a launch date etc.)

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

givecredit wrote: »
    Why not use the "Play to" app in the Nowtv store. Install this on your nowtv box. On your Android phone install the "Playto" app and Plex app. Configure the "playto" on your phone to play to Nowtv. In Plex app settings on phone choose external player and select "playto"

Your stream will open on nowtv. Watch your plex on Nowtv!

This also works with other android streaming apps that let you choose external players. Just choose external player on the app and select "playto"

Well I'm an Apple user at the moment but do have other ways already to stream from an iPhone to the bedroom tv but the Nowtv was just nice and clean and didn't involve and external source so was nice and handy.

Downstairs on the main tv I have one of the new Apple TVs which supports Plex so I have tha installed down there.

• Advertisement

I think it's very amusing how angry people are at Sky over this. You got basically a free box from them and now you're annoyed because you can't use it for illegal purposes. Seems a bit unreasonable.

I'm delighted for you.

You have no idea what I'm using the box for but don't that let that stop you jumping to conclusssions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

There's always one:rolleyes: Did you become a Boardie to moan???:rolleyes:

I'm not moaning at all. I don't have any sideloaded apps on my now box and I still think it's great.

It was just an observation on the inevitability of anti piracy measures like this and the reaction of some people to them. Apologies if anyone offended.

I'm not moaning at all. I don't have any sideloaded apps on my now box and I still think it's great.

It was just an observation on the inevitability of anti piracy measures like this and the reaction of some people to them. Apologies if anyone offended.

Apple who are the kings of closed systems have the plex app on all their app stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

I don't use plex or an actual now TV box. I moved to roku for netflix, amazon and nowtv all in one unit.

So on the surface I'm not affected, how ever like lots on here I buy my now tv passes on ebay. I expect this will soon dry up as a purchase source. Many of the seller's where selling boxes loaded with plex and the nowtv pass separately. In affect doubling what they paid out on the box with pass. That isn't going to happen any more

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Time to close thread now, gone way off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

It would be interesting if this box did come to Ireland officially, I know its been discussed that its being tested at the moment as a possibility, I wouldn't say no to having the irish catchup apps all on one convenient box along with nowtv, I could think of a few relatives that would love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

meathman0 wrote: »
    Time to close thread now, gone way off topic.

No it's not

No it's not

I agree its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

rogercross wrote: »
    It would be interesting if this box did come to Ireland officially, I know its been discussed that its being tested at the moment as a possibility, I wouldn't say no to having the irish catchup apps all on one convenient box along with nowtv, I could think of a few relatives that would love that.

I have my ROKU's set to a UK account but a few months ago 3 player was the only Irish catch up app in the Irish store, i believe SKY just permission the catch up apps in their version of the store and also bake them into their home screen so unless RTE & TG4 are building a ROKU app the irish catch up would be fairly sparse....

Dave..M wrote: »
    I have my ROKU's set to a UK account but a few months ago 3 player was the only Irish catch up app in the Irish store, i believe SKY just permission the catch up apps in their version of the store and also bake them into their home screen so unless RTE & TG4 are building a ROKU app the irish catch up would be fairly sparse....

Good point, hadn't thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

If you were only going to use the nowtv box for plex could you not set up access restrictions on your router and get it to manually connect to the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'm a little lost with all this...my box updated and is now power by roku (this is a new symbol that wasn't there before)...is it now only a matter of time before I get cut off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'm a little lost with all this...my box updated and is now power by roku (this is a new symbol that wasn't there before)...is it now only a matter of time before I get cut off?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

JeffKenna wrote: »

If you use it for nowtv and sky stuff as it was intended, then i think youre ok. The only reason I had it and most people giving out was to sideload PLEX app onto it and use it, in conjunction with nowtv legit stuff, or not. If you havent sideloaded apps, then its of no consequence to you. Correct me if im wrong somebody

eoinzy2000 wrote: »
    If you use it for nowtv and sky stuff as it was intended, then i think youre ok. The only reason I had it and most people giving out was to sideload PLEX app onto it and use it, in conjunction with nowtv legit stuff, or not. If you havent sideloaded apps, then its of no consequence to you. Correct me if im wrong somebody

Might just be time to move to a Roku if the lack of plex is bothering people, i never used plex but did use the TvPlayer app as a sideload until i moved over to roku, now that along with my other apps are autoupdated, no more manual sideloading of apps and messing about with zip files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

rogercross wrote: »
    Might just be time to move to a Roku if the lack of plex is bothering people, i never used plex but did use the TvPlayer app as a sideload until i moved over to roku, now that along with my other apps are autoupdated, no more manual sideloading of apps and messing about with zip files.

Which roku are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Bit the bullet and got myself a Roku3, have to say its a great job, its got all the uk catchup tv apps, its got a nowtv app (used mainly for kids pass) and importantly its got an official Plex app....

Also it screen mirrors perfectly from my android phone....very handy for M*b**o etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

On a completely unrelated note, Sky own 40% of Roku. Just sayin'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

BandMember wrote: »
    On a completely unrelated note, Sky own 40% of Roku. Just sayin'.....

Have you a source for that? I know they invested in them a while back but never seen how much they own or if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Are those MXQ Android boxes much good, does anyone know?

Can you get NOW TV on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Don't think you can put Nowtv on them. I have one and afaik you can only load apk apps on them. There are are ways of getting iptv on them. Googls is your friend. PM me if you wish.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Have you a source for that? I know they invested in them a while back but never seen how much they own or if any.

I can't give my source here as it was a private discussion, but I've heard it from a few people now....
    gerrybbadd wrote: »

In short, no and no! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭skydish79

Has everyone lost plex on their now tv box, i have one of the slim now tv boxes and still have plex app on it

I take it that you are referring to the new Smartbox version? They seem to have escaped the cull for the moment, but I would imagine that you are talking about days (possibly weeks) before they are hit with the forced update as well. That's the word on the street anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I have the smart box version and it has firmware version 7.5 on it. I don't use Plex, so haven't tried.

Advertisement