Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

All files will need to be transcoded, the stick itself has no native support of anything. It just uses your phone or computer to watch the video and pipe the video onto the larger screen. It's limited to 720p broadcast of Chrome tabs as well as the sending of everything from the tabs is very very intensive.

This is my main problem with the stick, it's a wonderful idea but it still needs another device to be on and broadcasting video which kinda negates the purpose. I just want something that can run away on it's own without any other thing being on as well.

The other device doesn't broadcast anything, it just controls it. The chromecast takes over the stream once it has been sent to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Zascar wrote: »
    Ok I really want one of these. I hear they are sold out everywhere. What's the best way to get one? I have friends in the US so can prob sort that out easy enough. Anyone know where it is for sale?

would love to get one too. Anyone know where?
    Or how long before amazon have them back in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭corkie

Just spotted one on amazon.co.uk, there asking £99.99 for it as a Developer or Early Adopter Listing ONLY!

Here is the link if anyone is desperate enough to pay that price!

Edit: Or as a bundle with the New Nexus 7 for £399.99: -

Google Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Gen Tablet NEWEST MODEL + Chromecast Bundle (Android 4.3, 7-Inch, 16GB, Black) + (1080p Wireless HDMI Streaming)

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mrmanunited

corkie wrote: »
    Just spotted one on amazon.co.uk, there asking £99.99 for it as a Developer or Early Adopter Listing ONLY!

Here is the link if anyone is desperate enough to pay that price!

No no no!! so hideous when people do this, almost 3 times as much! Surely people can wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That Amazon UK price of £99.99 is not for delivery until they get stock which is 'expected' on August 9th. It's a premium price designed to catch the mugs would-be early adopters who simply want to brag that they've got it on order, you'd be mad not to wait until the price settles down when supply is sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd be careful for anyone picking one up for streaming video content, there is a very limited codec availability at the moment for video playback ( you can play movies from your Pc through chromecast, but very limited )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd be careful for anyone picking one up for streaming video content, there is a very limited codec availability at the moment for video playback ( you can play movies from your Pc through chromecast, but very limited )

It's already been rooted though. I'd expect it to become much more useful in the not too distant future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Mine arrived yesterday. Fantastic little device. Really simplistic and intuative. I had a Miracast device recently but this concept is so much fuller. This works straight out of the box. The Miracast device involved loads of fiddling with firmware.
    Have used it for Google music, Netflix and youtube so far which are excellent.
    Tried mirroring via Chrome on a laptop which was pretty average - Poor quality , lots of lag so not great for watching videos but not bad if you just want to mirror some web pages, steam Grooveshark etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

groom wrote: »
    Mine arrived yesterday. Fantastic little device. Really simplistic and intuative. I had a Miracast device recently but this concept is so much fuller. This works straight out of the box. The Miracast device involved loads of fiddling with firmware.
    Tried mirroring via Chrome on a laptop which was pretty average - Poor quality , lots of lag so not great for watching videos but not bad if you just want to mirror some web pages, steam Grooveshark etc

Sounds good :-) can't wait to have one on each tv in the house.

where did you get it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭pms7

What broadband speed do you need to watch YouTube on tv

Chromecast vs Android tv sticks

I have limited Midband (O2 hotshot) would the chromecast even work with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

corkie wrote: »
    Chromecast vs Android tv sticks

I have limited Midband (O2 hotshot) would the chromecast even work with it?

Depends on what speeds your getting, and it would eat into your usage allowance quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

groom wrote: »
    Can I ask where you ordered it from?

Has anyone heard any updates with regards to a UK/Ireland release for this thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Is this running chrome or Android os?

Android

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Android

Kind of weird then that they called it chromecast.

Also how does it manage to work with ios?

Also how does it manage to work with ios?

How do you mean work with ios? As in how your iphone can see the chromecast? All the iphone does it sends some packets of instructions for it to retrieve data from the web. As for local files, if it works with a windows laptop then it's not at all surprising that it works with an iphone too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭SteM

They didn't want it associated solely with the Android ecosystem. Chrome is cross platform, Android is a platform on it's own. If they used Android in the name ios users get turned off straight away. Using the Chrome name brings in Chrome users across Android, PC and ios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Any news on when we might expect to see the Chromecast over here officially?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I got one of these last night - have not really played around with it for long but pretty impressed so far. Does what it says on the tin and I think it’s going to be handy. What I was absolutely amazed by is when doing the setup, when you plug it in, it shoes you a unique name on the TV of “Chromecast 12345” and tells you to go to the setup page. When you do that, my computer automatically knew the name of Chromecast 12345 – before it was connected to my Wifi! How the hell did it do that? Or am I missing something very obvious…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Zascar wrote: »
    I got one of these last night - have not really played around with it for long but pretty impressed so far. Does what it says on the tin and I think it’s going to be handy. What I was absolutely amazed by is when doing the setup, when you plug it in, it shoes you a unique name on the TV of “Chromecast 12345” and tells you to go to the setup page. When you do that, my computer automatically knew the name of Chromecast 12345 – before it was connected to my Wifi! How the hell did it do that? Or am I missing something very obvious…

It sets up an adhoc wi-fi network for setup, this is why you lose connectivity for a minute

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just got one delivered in a friends luggage from the US yesterday. Very simple to set up and easy to use. Would be handy if it would work with a browser on android as well, but happy with what it does do for $35.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Any news on when we might expect to see the Chromecast over here officially?

You can order it for £39 from amazon.co.uk now - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Chromecast-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00DR0PDNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383920885&sr=8-1&keywords=chromecast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

dregin wrote: »

Cheers, but I'm not in a huge rush. Think I'll wait til they arrive in the shops here. Surely arrive by Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

robinph wrote: »
    Just got one delivered in a friends luggage from the US yesterday. Very simple to set up and easy to use. Would be handy if it would work with a browser on android as well, but happy with what it does do for $35.

Works with chrome browser on my Mac or windows machine, there is an add on on Chrome store for it (still in beta) then you simply hit the full screen button like on your phone and up it comes...

Not great for streaming video but I assume that's due to it being in beta....

EDIT : just see you meant on the phone, I think that feature is due soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mugs11

Guys, apologies if this has been answered already. Looking to pick this up for someone who has a HDTV, an iPhone and Netflix (well, it's actually my Netflix account that they use). Presume all that's okay and it will be dead simple to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Sorry but you can't. Amazon won't ship this to Ireland. :mad:
    dregin wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

elderlemon wrote: »
    Sorry but you can't. Amazon won't ship this to Ireland. :mad:
    Use Parcel Motel if you want it delivered to you in Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement