Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Jersey - Order closed - *Payments due by 3 September*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

So it turns out the Carrick jerseys are not the ones we were quoted for, but the more expensive ones at 38 something per jersey. So back to square one.

If anyone's gotten bored with my ranting and wandering posts, the plan is to have the order in by late August, and then have the gear delivered to me by the end of September and I'll be doing deliveries with hopefully some help from a couple of other boardsies and posting them out.

So essentially there's no real rush on anything, I just prefer to stay on top of things and be organised, 'cause otherwise it gets messy, which is hard to imagine it being any worse than it is now.

Nice weather isn't it?

The first batch of samples are here, these are from the lovely Aidan @ Watt Custom. I'd like to apologise in advance for the terrible iPhone photos. Also, I couldn't actually wear any of the stuff, because at 6'1 and 90kg it wasn't physically possible for me to fit into Medium, but I gave it a shot anyways :D

These Wolftrap jerseys are their top of the line jerseys, and I have to say they're fantastic, they have a breathable side panel and armpit, and they're extremely light and the stitching's superb.
    6AC2FA0F-EE94-4F59-8462-3765F56BD041-3531-00000586C6873BE4_zpsa29510ce.jpg
    9250D39E-BEA4-4445-8188-A129D0D92360-3531-00000587B6797ACC_zps2ddbd28c.jpg

This is the cheaper Coolmax version, which is similar to the Wolftrap ones, but without the breathable panels etc. A little heavier also.
    1CFCC1BA-93BB-4AA3-9F9A-E9357AE45A3D-3531-00000586B6C86995_zpsfcbd4c45.jpg
    1FEFE733-36D0-407A-A3A6-984337AB6F03-3531-00000586BEEEE7E3_zps5cba4864.jpg

And finally their bibs. I have to say the chamois is really great quality, better quality than the Adidas Sky bibs that were on sale a while back. The printing looks great too.
    A3650012-9049-4DC2-833F-63E4E9697006-3531-00000586D4A677AA_zps65653edf.jpg
    734F3E4D-8130-4B95-98E1-3DC34534B3C9-3531-00000586DC0E5548_zps916f0d45.jpg
    0CE630BF-5B94-4156-A857-7246F1863A99-3531-00000586E300B16A_zpsc5d7b738.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on samples from Spin11 and hopefully Lucca Sports over the next few days/weeks and I'll make a direct comparison and choose which is best quality wise and also the best price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

If there's not much in the difference, I'm a fan of full zip jerseys....

If there's not much in the difference, I'm a fan of full zip jerseys....

Yeah I think we'll go with full zip depending on the price etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Both of those jerseys look great quality, better than Carvalho.

Chamois on the bib looks good too.

• Advertisement

There's about 4-5 euro in the difference between the Wolftrap jerseys which are the Megawatt range and have breathable side panels and armpits, and the Watt ones from the Kilowatt range, which are the same kind of material without the panels. I'd definitely suggest the extra few bob for the Megawatt ones.

I'll have samples from Spin11 by Friday hopefully and then Lucca sport, who sent me a few pictures of the gear which look top notch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

stetyrrell wrote: »
    There's about 4-5 euro in the difference between the Wolftrap jerseys which are the Megawatt range and have breathable side panels and armpits, and the Watt ones from the Kilowatt range, which are the same kind of material without the panels. I'd definitely suggest the extra few bob for the Megawatt ones.

I'll have samples from Spin11 by Friday hopefully and then Lucca sport, who sent me a few pictures of the gear which look top notch too.

Since the quality is good and the price is too, Would you not just make an executive decision and go with the Megawatt jersey and if people want a boards jersey they'll just have to accept it. Could get messy for you looking for options on what one to get. After all your the one doing all the work so you should have the say on this.

A camel is a horse designed by committee!

I'm not going to do a poll or anything on this, I'm gonna go solo and pick myself.

There's no harm in waiting to see the samples from the other companies, we're in no rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

anybody that wont pay €5 more for the higher quality one should be ashamed to think of them self as a Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I just mentioned to Mrs WA (who's life revolves around clothes/fashions) about the proposed new jersey and my preference for the red/black option over the others. She cannot understand how I could prefer red/black when lime green is available.

That's good enough for me. This looks like an order I won't have to divert to my work address! :D
    Yeah I think we'll go with full zip depending on the price etc.
    Presumably the zip will be "hidden"?

• Advertisement

I just mentioned to Mrs WA (who's life revolves around clothes/fashions) about the proposed new jersey and my preference for the red/black option over the others. She cannot understand how I could prefer red/black when lime green is available.

That's good enough for me. This looks like an order I won't have to divert to my work address! :D

Presumably the zip will be "hidden"?

Mrs WA has superb taste! :P

Yeah the zips are 'hidden' on most full zip jerseys, the Watt ones and the Verge from Lucca Sports definitely do.

John over at Lucca Sports sent me a photo of their Elite range jersey, he's just waiting on samples from the factory before I get my hands on them.
    999512_219462361537230_1205548873_n.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Logo is a bit big. Prefer the look of the watt custom ones.

Round 2 of samples, this time from Spin11. They decided to send me what seems to be their ENTIRE range of gear; jackets, bibtights, bibshorts, long sleeve jerseys, short sleeve jerseys, you name it. It'll be a nightmare to get it all back to them, looks like I'll be hand delivering it.

Black and white gear is from their Performance range, Ireland gear is from their Elite range.

First up is their Performance range 'Speed' jersey. Basically it's an extremely thin, elastic type jersey, skin tight. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're like a twig or want a skinsuit.
    38BB103F-2526-4AC2-9689-D2DF0C0E1226-4566-000007B0144ACA50_zps7ae46a98.jpg

Next is the normal fit jersey from the Performance range, it's similar to the cheaper Watt jersey in some ways, nothing fancy.
    111AFD5B-37C4-47C4-A0EE-3DD76C1A5E09-4566-000007B01A8F7937_zpse9c51507.jpg

Then the bibs, the seams aren't great around the crotch area, they stand out a bit compared to the more expensive ones and the Watt ones, and the chamois is noticeably cheaper too
    DB28ED25-C14B-4110-88BD-1747A01927B4-4566-000007B020C749A5_zps161e6cf7.jpg
    1079EDA0-5824-436C-9118-387E50218845-4566-000007B026BC68EE_zps4e40e5e0.jpg

Now on to the Elite range. Here's the jersey, lighter than the Perfomance range and the stitching is neater and better.
    75D84C60-5136-48C4-8513-23AB80531CB3-4566-000007B02CEBBAE3_zps47744e55.jpg

Bibs, nicer again than the Performance range, you can't notice the stitching and the chamois is improved.
    3EE1B121-5C67-4371-9BEB-F88424192036-4566-000007B032F169F7_zps0ca06e31.jpg
    8E4BC645-8E8D-4A17-9C39-3579FF6D18F4-4566-000007B03AB55240_zps25797c6a.jpg

Now for what really matters, the comparison with the Watt gear. Without being detrimental to Spin11, whose gear is quite great, I felt quite let down by their Elite range, didn't think it was a great improvement over their cheaper Performance range, despite the big cost difference.

In comparison with the Watt jersey, it had no hidden zip, no breathable side panels, no breathable underarm panel, and was noticeably heavier. And it's a tenner dearer!

The chamois on the Watt bibs was thicker, and it has a thicker side panel on the leg which I thought felt a bit more durable. Also, the Spin11 bibs have a really annoying netting for the arm straps, you know the one with the large holes that feels a bit rough? The Watt one felt more comfortable.

I called in the woman who knows best about clothing quality, an ex-seamstress and mother of 5, my Ma :D Quality wise, she said she was a bit apprehensive about the Watt Kilowatt jersey, she felt that it might get a bit 'bally' after a few washes because the material was so light, but she said the stitching was superior to the Spin11 gear and the side panels and underarms were a nice touch. And once again, Spin11 was 10 euro more expensive.

So Watt wins this battle, by a mile. Price and quality wise, they've beaten the Spin11 stuff into the dirt.

Now we wait for the Verge samples, and then I make the final judgement. DON DON DON......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

You make the mundane sound exciting!

Fair play for putting all this effort in and we'd be well advised to listen to your Ma too so top work in asking her opinion!

Can't wait for the next installment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

stetyrell you're a legend, have you ever considered the possibility of setting up a consumer review website, excellent work.

Looking forward to a well researched quality purchase, and the best bit is someone else doing the work ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yea serious work there, happy to go with your ma's recommendation!

Cheers lads, I'm open to job offers :pac:

Anyone who has their name down for Winter Jackets, they work out at €90 including VAT.

A bit on the pricey side of things, but alternatively there's 'Summer' jackets for €69, or 'Autumn' jackets for €85. I personally would prefer to just get a summer jacket and wear a baselayer under it for the colder months, and save my self 20 quid.

I have rough pricings incl VAT for all items if we are to go with Watt btw.

SS Jerseys full zip: €37
    LS Jerseys (these might be a bit cheaper because I'm quoting the price for the thermal jerseys): €46
    Bib Shorts : €45
    Gilet : €49
    Leg Warmers: €22
    Arm Warmers: €15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I agree. I'm sure the winter weight is good but if you think the summer weigjt is a good option I -for one - am happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

...Spin11. ...... It'll be a nightmare to get it all back to them..

From their website they seem to be in Northwest Business park which is just aroound the corner from where I work so if ya want me to drop it back before I head away on august bank holiday the just shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'll have to back down on my pushing of Cofides and say the Watt stuff does look pretty good and I would buy them :o

Cheers for the work stetyrrell

bcmf wrote: »
    From their website they seem to be in Northwest Business park which is just aroound the corner from where I work so if ya want me to drop it back before I head away on august bank holiday the just shout.

Thanks bcmf, got on to them and they said I can drop them into Cycleways because it's their shop apparently, but if I don't make it in on the weekend I'll send you a text.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭extremehalo

I agree. I'm sure the winter weight is good but if you think the summer weigjt is a good option I -for one - am happy with that.

Likewise I would be happy to swtich to the summer jacket option.

Cheers for the effort stetyrrell, keep up the good work!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Are we any closer to a resolution? With all the talk I'm not sure what the current status of the order is?

Everything will be revealed by the end of the week.

I'll have a pricelist, design, paypal for payment and size guide.

Edit: by design I mean the final colour scheme, the design will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭_Skitso_

Everything will be revealed by the end of the week.

I'll have a pricelist, design, paypal for payment and size guide.

Sounds good ill be putting my name down for a couple of items, once price and sizing is conformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

_Skitso_ wrote: »
    Sounds good ill be putting my name down for a couple of items, once price and sizing is conformed.

Will be doing the same myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Should there be another spreadsheet once sizing and pricing is final? Alot of people on it now might not check the forum again etc

I'll send PMs to everyone on the spreadsheet once I get the final sizing guide and pricing, I don't think the sizing guide will be too far off the one for Carvahlo, but just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

I'll send PMs to everyone on the spreadsheet once I get the final sizing guide and pricing, I don't think the sizing guide will be too far off the one for Carvahlo, but just in case.
    Glad I opted for updates on the thread, having just seen it recently I didn't realise there was a spreadsheet to sign up on. Looking forward to fredding it up in the 410 colours on my hybrid :)

Advertisement