Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvements that are needed in GAA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If St Vincent's or Ballymun were up against some 2-bob junior outfit in the Dublin championship, you'd be the first to say that's nonsense and meaningless. Funny how people abandon logic when it suits them.

You are going to have to explain that one to me, because I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Patww79 wrote: »

I don't think anyone has disputed that. The discussion was about why that has come to be the case and if that is a positive thing going forward.

Furthermore, do you not see that the rest of the gaa community chose not to take this type of attitude when the decision was taken to fund Dublin to be competitive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Bonniedog wrote: »
    So split US and China in 5/6 ways for the Olympics.

GAA in Dublin is a minority sport in a city mostly inhabited by non nationals - sorry "New Irish."

GAA at inter county level is mainly their to provide entertainment so comparing it to the Olympics which is elite level international competition and where most of the sports are individual sports is complete nonsense.

78.37% of Dublins population is white Irish, with another 5% being non white irish.

Apparently in Dublin 83% of the population is a minority.

Looks like non-nationals do get involved in GAA http://https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/monrovia-to-moate-boidu-sayeh-s-extraordinary-journey-to-play-for-westmeath-1.3508433?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fsport%2Fgaelic-games%2Fgaelic-football%2Fmonrovia-to-moate-boidu-sayeh-s-extraordinary-journey-to-play-for-westmeath-1.3508433

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I don't think anyone has disputed that. The discussion was about why that has come to be the case ?

You are implying that it has something to do with funding. It doesn't. Just a great bunch of players and a manager who like Cody nearly knows them since they were in their prams. Unique and probably not happen again,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

BarryD2 wrote: »

Breaking up Dublin County for GAA is something that people with no brain propose at every possible opportunity rather that take a closer look at their own deficiencies.

FYP ;)

Joe Dog wrote: »
    GAA at inter county level is mainly their to provide entertainment so comparing it to the Olympics which is elite level international competition and where most of the sports are individual sports is complete nonsense.

78.37% of Dublins population is white Irish, with another 5% being non white irish.

Apparently in Dublin 83% of the population is a minority.

Looks like non-nationals do get involved in GAA http://https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/monrovia-to-moate-boidu-sayeh-s-extraordinary-journey-to-play-for-westmeath-1.3508433?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fsport%2Fgaelic-games%2Fgaelic-football%2Fmonrovia-to-moate-boidu-sayeh-s-extraordinary-journey-to-play-for-westmeath-1.3508433

If you believe that only 20% of Dublin population is non Irish, can you send me your credit card details. I am Prince of Cabra :-)

If you believe that only 20% of Dublin population is non Irish, can you send me your credit card details. I am Prince of Cabra :-)

I think I'll believe the census above believing you.

You are implying that it has something to do with funding. It doesn't. Just a great bunch of players and a manager who like Cody nearly knows them since they were in their prams. Unique and probably not happen again,

Sorry but these obtuse, generalised answers are not going to convince anyone. Provide some facts to back them up at least.

I shall not be diverted into demographics!

It's a good team. Best ever possibly and Mayo are probably second best. Such is sport.

• Advertisement

I think I'll believe the census above believing you.

The census :)

If you had been living in New York in 1987 when the census called, would you have said "Oh yeah, I'm an illegal immigrant." Come on now.

The census :)

If you had been living in New York in 1987 when the census called, would you have said "Oh yeah, I'm an illegal immigrant." Come on now.

I really doubt that there are 500,000 illegal immigrants living in Dublin.

Something like that (which is what you would need for the majority of people in Dublin to be non-irish) would have made the news by now.

But by all means keep deluding yourself if thats what you want to do.

Which make up 17% of the Dublins population.

I was told the majority of Dublins population is non irish which is almost certainly not the case.

So imagine how strong Dublin will be when their children inevitably start playing gaa with their friends from school?

As for yourself Bonniedog, wasn't it Chemical Ali that was standing in front of a camera denying they were under attack, while a tank rolled by in the background?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

And another fcukin thread ruined ffs :mad:

I really doubt that there are 500,000 illegal immigrants living in Dublin.

Something like that (which is what you would need for the majority of people in Dublin to be non-irish) would have made the news by now.

But by all means keep deluding yourself if thats what you want to do.

I'm not the one deluding myself.

danganabu wrote: »
    And another fcukin thread ruined ffs :mad:

To get the thing back on track, I'd ask if anyone has any idea for a solution to the Dublin dominance of the intercounty game, and for arguments sake, we will say splitting them is off the table.

I'm not the one deluding myself.

I think you are by claiming that 50% or more of Dublins population are not irish.

• Advertisement

But how can they physically do that when operating at such a disadvantage? At what point do you draw the line there and say ok, the gap is now simply too big to surmount?

Also, re the second part, Id point out that the facts suggest Dublin were artificially put up to that level in the first place.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Don't feed it men least another thread is taken down his usual road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

To get the thing back on track, I'd ask if anyone has any idea for a solution to the Dublin dominance of the intercounty game, and for arguments sake, we will say splitting them is off the table.

I bet you were not looking for Dublin to be split from 1995 to 2011 were you. Another team will come to the fore. Rather then trying to split Dublin maybe the GAA could allocate there monies from worst counties to best and bringing them up. A novel idea perhaps. This from a Clare man who love to see someone else win it.

I bet you were not looking for Dublin to be split from 1995 to 2011 were you. Another team will come to the fore. Rather then trying to split Dublin maybe the GAA could allocate there monies from worst counties to best and bringing them up. A novel idea perhaps. This from a Clare man who love to see someone else win it.

No more than I am looking for Cork or Antrim to be split now, for the simple reason that it isn't having an averse massive effect on the premier intercounty competition... You would have to be a pretty mean-spirited individual to want to split up a county just for the sake of it, wouldn't you?

The thing is, the money is being well spent on those who need it in Dublin. So if you allocate the monies elsewhere, the kids in Dublin have to go without... I don't think that is the answer, i.e. choke the game out of kids in Dublin so they aren't as good as the lads down the country... I would consider that a very backward approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Complete bollocks.

Dublin has always had a much, much bigger population than any other county in the country.

When the GAA was founded, the population of County Cork (495,000) was bigger than the population of County Dublin (419,000).
    Source: 1881 census

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The dub cycle of dominance has in leinster probably 3/4 years and All Ireland 1-2,after that some other team will have their time,as regard improvements,less physicality would be a start,it's 80% hits and 20% football at the moment and unfortunately hurling has gone down the same route in the last 5-8 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Rather then trying to split Dublin maybe the GAA could allocate there monies from worst counties to best and bringing them up.

The GAA would want to have deep pockets so, because the root of the problem is much wider than simply facilities. When you have local parish teams amalgamating so as to be able to field teams, you're shrinking and in decline. Maybe lads were once happy to stick about but now it's off to Aus and the States.

People in Dublin just don't realise how lopsided the country is getting in all sorts of ways. Sure you can only put 15 out on the pitch, but Dublin seems to have great strength and depth at the moment with a conveyor of talent.

Maybe the Dubs & their supporters will get bored winning in a few years. Then they'll decide to split and subsequent finals will be the Northsiders v Southsiders.

But apart from splitting, another possible solution is an AI open draw, no seeding, straight knockout competition. At least that way if the Dubs had an off day in the 1st or 2nd round, they'd be gone for good. Which would open it up for other counties. As it is, the present competition seems structured to ensure that the top counties don't suffer from any falters and can get back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

Can we please cease the descent of this thread into a discussion on the minutiae of Dublin county's demographics,you can consult the 2016 national census re same.This thread is a discussion on "Improvements that are needed in the GAA".

In a similar fashion can we ensure it does'nt descend into the usual fractious tit for tat SOLELY focussing on Dublin GAA.Please keep it civil.

Thanks.

Advertisement