Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvements that are needed in GAA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

CatInABox wrote: »
    I wouldn't be in favour of combining counties either, but primarily this is down to the fact that the GAA is based upon local identity. I'd doubt that there'd be many Sligo people that would be thrilled to play for a "SligoLeitrim" team, it just wouldn't be the same.

I do agree with you that the day that the GAA goes professional is the day that some counties just stop playing. It's one of the reasons I'd be against professionalisation, to be honest.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It really is an 'over my dead body' kind of thinking, whereby splitting or amalgamating counties just runs again the grain.

Of course, the GAA should stay amateur but the reasons that would plague a professional setup, already stymy an amateur one. The former would just fail but the latter is allowed to stagger on.

Take another angle. There are great players in the small weak counties who have never a hope of county silverware (outside the all stars). Footballers like Dessie Dolan can toil for years but have little or zero hope of county team success. At least amalgamating counties into stronger potential teams might give these players some hope of success that would be richly deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Patww79 wrote: »

Well what constitutes pissing it away? Investing in stadia? That is a set cost for every team that needs to maintain a stadia, which is everyone bar one.

Spending it on centres of excellence? again, if you don't have the facilities laid on, you have to build it yourself, which is again the majority of counties.

Spending it on a bus? Some counties simply cant afford to pay hotels on top of their costs and they aren't lucky enough to live close to the stadium. It was a pragmatic decision on their part.

Id argue Dublin spent plenty themselves on things that doesn't constitute value for money. How they managed to match my own counties spending last year for example with their 6 games and all but 1 at home, when mayo had 10 games, the vast majority of which were away from home, travelling across the country to train and play throughout, hotels, medical expenses etc, beggars belief. In reality when you look at number of games, fixed costs involved etc, they should be spending about half that figure. In fairness mayo are hardly going to be staying in hostels either, they would be getting top treatment. Is that not pissing money away also? I'm genuinely at a loss to understand how they actually spend it. Surely it is not all justified simply because rock's free goes over at the end? Surely that is in fact the perfect example of pissing it away?

I think the way it is viewed is similar to the difference between a rich man throwing money around and a poor man doing it. There is this kind of, what are you wasting that money for you fool attitude, whereas Dublin are getting an amount of money from sponsorship so people think they can spend it however they like. They cant really, as it isn't just sponsorship money they are spending...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

From first hand experience, the GAA compensation/insurance fund needs to be reviewed. I know its not actually an insurance cover but with the cost of serious operations on the increase the level of cover needs to be increased in line with that. My cruciate operation is approx 6.5k but the max from the GAA is 4.5k. Add is physio, consultants and scans and its going to be well over 7k by the time its done. Not to mention time off work.
    They say to have personal accident insurance also but there are many out there who just wouldnt and nobody should be out of pocket having paid to be members of the association. I would call for a review but its unlikely to happen.
    It doesn’t sound as ‘ professional ‘ as we here about certain things in the GAA .

Other Football counties should refuse to play Dublin until there is something done about the grossly unfair advantages that Dublin have .

blinding wrote: »
    Other Football counties should refuse to play Dublin until there is something done about the grossly unfair advantages that Dublin have .

Dream on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Jeju wrote: »
    In have heard several times the idea of a senior, intermediate and junior championship, based on current league position. Here is my twist. 10 teams in Senior and Intermediate, then the junior championship splitting the country in two, North and South so Leitrim for example would be playing the likes of Antrim, Sligo, Louth etc. London would be included in this also, flipping between the geographical split each year. The junior championship is based on home and away, senior and Intermediate on home then away. While this competition is running have the provincial championships, head to head, no replays. The provincial winner or runner up from any of the 3 tiers take their place with the top 4 of the Senior Championship leaving 8 quarter finalists. Two go up two go down to senior and 3 down in Intermediate while the top two in junior go up and a playoff between the 2nd placed teams in Junior North and Junior South. I'm agreed this is the harsh bit, the league becomes the championship, so you could have meaningful games from Feburary through to August, and not necessarily every weekend. You also have 3 meaningful All Ireland titles that gaa folk can relate to, and a chance to be both Intermediate Champions, Provincial winners and All Ireland Senior Contenders.
    I think that isnt a bad idea. Allows best of lot of worlds....
    Thats nonsense and nobody benefits... so why do that? Dublin is biggest county in terms of pppulation which determines most of its funding. How is that unfair?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Dream on :)
    Strike to get things Fair and Right !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

blinding wrote:
    Strike to get things Fair and Right !

Clarke went on Strike for the last 15 minutes of the Final last year!!!
    Worked out great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They already do. :)

• Advertisement

Until there is a level playing field , Dublin's wins are devalued .

There is no future in a competition where one team has ridiculous advantages .

This is nonsense you sure you're not on a wind up ;)
    Dublin will always have most people and therefore most/nearly most resources in spending. They shouldnt be split.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not true look the Scottish Soccer league which has been dominated by Celtic and Rangers for years and still other clubs are able to run successfully and field teams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The only ridiculous advantage the current Dublin team has is being probably the best team ever to kick a ball.

You hate Dubs for whatever reason so that's your prerogative.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not true look the Scottish Soccer league which has been dominated by Celtic and Rangers for years and still other clubs are able to run successfully and field teams
    Its a non competition at the best of times and definitely at the moment . Bar twos club there are not many people watching and its sectarian divisions that they are interested rather than the football . They at least have two clubs with too many advantages i.e.money .

Dublin has the money advantage as well as the playing population advantage and having all its players on its doorstep and Croke Park ( Basically their home ground )

The All-Ireland is now a Non Competition as the Leinster Championship has been for so long .

Mug Punters are not going to keep paying their hard earned cash for this FARCE .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The only ridiculous advantage the current Dublin team has is being probably the best team ever to kick a ball.

You hate Dubs for whatever reason so that's your prerogative.

The hatred of Dublin runs deep for some.

We have had the turnover argument that no players are left from 20111, yet when you compare the 1975 Kerry team to the 1984 team, you see only 5 survivors.

We have the endless financial argument issue forgetting that only 15 can play 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

blanch152 wrote: »
    The hatred of Dublin runs deep for some.

We have had the turnover argument that no players are left from 20111, yet when you compare the 1975 Kerry team to the 1984 team, you see only 5 survivors.

We have the endless financial argument issue forgetting that only 15 can play 15.

If we compare the 1978 and 1986 starting there were 11 starters in both lineups that is the definition of a once in a lifetime team relying on 17/18 players over a decade long period.

The Blue Juggernaut had only 8 same starters between 2016 and 2017, it is a production line of elite coaching churning out enormous amounts of players and it will never slow down.

The Kerry team organically declined and indeed took some bad beatings in the late 80s and early 90s - waxed by 15 points to Cork in 1990 and the famous Clare game in 92 - indeed quite a few of the Golden Generation were involved in those defeats as well as future stars but it was a natural decline and upturn that a long time to happen as other teams took over.

The Juggernaut are quite simply way too big in every sense to suffer such a drought and indeed fall down the pecking order. Imagine them winning 1 provincial title in 9 years!!!!! as Kerry did once the Golden Generation organically fell away bit by bit

Macclesfield have 11 players just as Man City do they have an equal chance of beating them????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mod Warning

Can we please cease the descent of this thread into a discussion on the minutiae of Dublin county's demographics,you can consult the 2016 national census re same.This thread is a discussion on "Improvements that are needed in the GAA".

In a similar fashion can we ensure it does'nt descend into the usual fractious tit for tat SOLELY focussing on Dublin GAA.Please keep it civil.

Thanks.

Mod Warning

I am not trying to silence discussion on any matters that may result in IMPROVEMENTS IN THE GAA but only reasoned and constructive debate is permissible.Posters have ignored the previous warning about tit for tat point scoring.

The thread has gone wildly off topic.Any more off topic posts will result in the issuance of cards.

This is a final warning.

I am loathe to consider closing what was initially a very constructive thread but same is at this stage in the lap of the posters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The mark has been a great success.

Retrospective bans for diving

Reduce the possibilities for appeals

When and if available use video evidence

Four points for a goal

Ban handpassing a goal if it was hand passed to you must be a kicked pass.

Stoner wrote: »

Retrospect bans for diving

Four points for a goal

I would agree that there must be a reduction on how many appeals at so many levels but will that happen.
    I dont think 4 points for a goal is necessary. It wont make going for goals needed more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Four points for a goal

I still think reducing to 13 players to create extra space and requiring at least 3 in the opposition half will cause problems for the tactical counter-attacking teams reliant on blanket defence. They would only have a maximum of 9 outfield players behind the ball in their own half, as opposed to 14 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Four points for a goal

Some great suggestions Stoner but I'm with The Lost Sheep,not so sure re the necessity for the four point goal.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

PTH2009 wrote: »

To be fair, how would you define "run successfully"? Anyone can "field a team", i.e. throw a few lads out to get beaten. When was the last time a team other than Celtic or Rangers won the SPL? Aberdeen in 1985. Can you imagine if gaelic football only had two winners in the last 35 years? There would be uproar for change. Back when Rangers was liquidated and had to restart at the bottom tier, I remember SKY reporting on other clubs worrying about their finances as they were partially dependent on the travelling support of the old firm. the SPL is a sham.

Sorry about the rant. :D

anyway as for improving the GAA.

I would be fairly strict about how money from HQ is dispersed. I'd like to see it linked to participation with X amount per registered player and have that consistent throughout the country. The bigger counties would still get more but you wouldn't have the situation where (as was mentioned a few pages back, assuming it's true) Dublin get ten times the money per player than Donegal. I believe this would encourage the county boards themselves to be more proactive in promotion of the games.

I know it's not too popular, but i believe the football should be split into two tiers, similar to the hurling. There's just far too wide a gap between the great, the good and the rest. I'd much prefer to see my county play competitive games against even opposition and improve organically than the seemingly annual annihilation they're going to receive off Kerry in a few weeks time.

seligehgit wrote:
    Some great suggestions Stoner but I'm with The Lost Sheep,not so sure re the necessity for the four point goal.

I just made it up to save the thread seligehgit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thread should really be split in three.

One thread for game inprovements i.e the rules of the game.

Another for structural improvements, i.e get rid of the provincial championship.

And three, something I have requested before, a dedicated sticky for Dublin bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭largepants

Thread should really be split in three.

One thread for game inprovements i.e the rules of the game.

Another for structural improvements, i.e get rid of the provincial championship.

And three, something I have requested before, a dedicated sticky for Dublin bashing.

Might I suggest that there is a degree of paranoia here? Most (not all) are bashing the GAA and not Dublin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

largepants wrote: »
    Might I suggest that there is a degree of paranoia here? Most (not all) are bashing the GAA and not Dublin.

Ah, it'd only really be a thread for one or two obsessed people, the rest of the forum is totally grand! It'd stop that (very small) crowd from ruining every other thread that mentions Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Ah for hurling; I've said this before but the sliotar simply needs to be heavier. It's far too light for the modern game as players are far stronger and more conditioned now and can hit points from their own half's regularly. Sure didn't the Kilkenny keeper score a point from hos own D recently. And while they're at it make 65's either indirect or as a sideline cut from the corner.

Fully agree

And the 65 has turned into essentially a tap over now for any half-decent free-taker

Way to punish a great defensive block or goalkeeper save that trickles out over the line

Imagine if touching down the ball in your own 22 in rugby automatically lead to a penalty kick for the opposition right under the posts

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Fully agree

And the 65 has turned into essentially a tap over now for any half-decent free-taker

Way to punish a great defensive block or goalkeeper save that trickles out over the line

Imagine if touching down the ball in your own 22 in rugby automatically lead to a penalty kick for the opposition right under the posts

If the sliotar was heavier, would that raise a safety issue? As it is, surely both teams have an equal advantage assuming they have a decent free taker.

I'm still laughing though at the defensiveness of people about the basic county structure. It's alright for those in the moderately strong or strong counties. But what about the likes of Louth, Carlow, Westmeath? How many provincial or AI titles at senior level have they ever got between them in either code? Over to the experts but I think the answer is about 1 or 2 in the entire history of the GAA. What's so great about that?

Advertisement