Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice HTC one billpay deal (IMO)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Its down since 5pm Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I was trying to use it Friday most of the day, couldn't get on, or it went down after first page loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

That O2 site has always been a joke tbf

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Most probably- 3 will have a nominally Irish website- further enhanced from their UK site- and update their network to an All-Ireland/UK network, not differentiating between whether you're North or South of the border, Dublin or London etc. The nominal daily fee now imposed for UK users on the Irish network- will probably be the first thing to go.

Vodafone have already started down this road- use your Irish minutes/texts/data in any EU country for a EUR20 a month, or EUR1 a day surcharge, with no termination fees, providing you remain on a partner network (note- this depends on the tariff you're on- and RTG customers will obviously pay significantly more- its aimed at business customers).

This is the way all mobile phone networks will go over the next two years, due to the EU's plan to scrap all roaming rates in the EU come 2014.

Basically come 2014 we won't have national carriers any more, we will instead have pan European carriers.

This will mean rather then just being confined to the Irish carriers, you will be able to buy your service from any of the 100 carriers across Europe!

For instance you could buy a phone and plan from T-Mobile in Germany and use it in Ireland. It will cost exactly the same for Irish people to call your German number as an Irish number and vice versa!

This will mean that competition will explode across the European mobile networks and I expect we will see a lot of consolidation of companies and networks.

I expect we will see Meteor/eMobile being bought out by one of the big networks. I can't see it surviving as a small carrier on it's own.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bk wrote: »
    This is the way all mobile phone networks will go over the next two years, due to the EU's plan to scrap all roaming rates in the EU come 2014.

Basically come 2014 we won't have national carriers any more, we will instead have pan European carriers.

This will mean rather then just being confined to the Irish carriers, you will be able to buy your service from any of the 100 carriers across Europe!

For instance you could buy a phone and plan from T-Mobile in Germany and use it in Ireland. It will cost exactly the same for Irish people to call your German number as an Irish number and vice versa!

This will mean that competition will explode across the European mobile networks and I expect we will see a lot of consolidation of companies and networks.

I expect we will see Meteor/eMobile being bought out by one of the big networks. I can't see it surviving as a small carrier on it's own.

I don't think that will definitely be the case. Roaming will cost the same but calling a foreign number might not (at least I haven't seen anything about calling other EU mobiles). So it may cost you a lot to ring/text them and vice versa because you are both contacting a foreign number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭bren2001

I don't think that will definitely be the case. Roaming will cost the same but calling a foreign number might not (at least I haven't seen anything about calling other EU mobiles). So it may cost you a lot to ring/text them and vice versa because you are both contacting a foreign number.

My understanding was that the European Union would be considered as one country (in the eyes of the Providers). Roaming would be eliminated within the EU i.e. all packages would be European Union wide.

I could be wrong. Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/10119159/EU-to-end-mobile-roaming-charges-next-year.html

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Site is back up, finally. The deal is still available too.

Anyone else having issues with their order?
    Apparently despite getting an email confirming my order, they can't find it.
    Tried the talk to forum, but no joy yet, had to go onto o2 website and try the chat to find this out, guy didn't reply for few mins when I asked what this meant and I got cut off as my battery died.
    Still don't know if I have one on order or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

mymo wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with their order?
    Apparently despite getting an email confirming my order, they can't find it.
    Tried the talk to forum, but no joy yet, had to go onto o2 website and try the chat to find this out, guy didn't reply for few mins when I asked what this meant and I got cut off as my battery died.
    Still don't know if I have one on order or not!

When did you place the order and what made you go check if they had the order?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

you need to cancel with meteor

Had an interesting conversation with a Meteor Customer loyality agent when I called to cancel my account.

Basically he said that as I am on a 30 day SIM only Bill pay plan and if I am moving to another Network, there is no need to wait the 30 days.

The notice is only needed if you are moving to Pre Pay.

Also he knew about this offer :D

• Advertisement

When did you place the order and what made you go check if they had the order?
    I wanted to get a tracking number as I wanted to see what day my parcel was coming, I work odd days and wanted to be sure I'd be home, or re-route it to work.
    When ordering I spoke to someone using live chat and was told once order was complete, contatc them again with order number and they could give me a tracking number.

I wanted to get a tracking number as I wanted to see what day my parcel was coming, I work odd days and wanted to be sure I'd be home, or re-route it to work.
    When ordering I spoke to someone using live chat and was told once order was complete, contatc them again with order number and they could give me a tracking number.

I notice it says this on my email acceptance:
    Please note that this is an automated confirmation of your placed order and not an indication of acceptance. Following processing, O2 reserves its right to reject your order, or accept same by shipping your order to you.

If your order is being shipped it should arrive within three working days of us confirming your order. You will receive an email to let you know when your order is on its way and you will be asked to sign for it when it is delivered.

Perhaps it just has not been processed?

Having seen your post. I decided to chase up my order (placed on Friday) via Live Chat to see whats happening.

Worse than useless tbh. All the guy can confirm (Kieran no less - I dont think so) is that my order is "still under process". Every attempt by me to extract more information resulted in "Im sorry but..." and no real answer.

Still none the wiser really but I do believe we have been a bit duped because my understanding was that it would be 2-4 days delivery from order time, but now this guy is saying 3-5 days delivery from order processing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I expect the site being down, and probably their other systems as well, is going to have an impact on processing and delivery.

i just got an answer from the talk to pages on here, my order has gone through and will be leaving the warehouse this evening.
    Chat was useless, try talk to.

i just got an answer from the talk to pages on here, my order has gone through and will be leaving the warehouse this evening.
    Chat was useless, try talk to.

Worse than useless imo..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Did anyone manage to get a black one off them.

Mind shipped tonight also but I think it silver.

So the phone arrived this morning.

A couple of questions for the good people on here.

There is a micro sim card in the box for an 086 number. My understanding is that my 087 number is being ported tomorrow morning. Does that mean that the micro sim they have given me will become my old number tomorrow or how does that work?

In the box there is a lead with a usb on one end and tiny connector on the other - what is this?

First, my understanding is they port your number over to the micro sim, that's how it works with ordinary ones, your number replaces the one on the sim.

Second, that's the charger and the mini USB in one, plug small end into phone, big end into USB port on laptop, or a USB charger (plug that has a slot for USB lead, can be got for less than €5).

Still waiting for mine, still no email or tracking number, but talk to forum rep said its on its way.
    Did yours come in post or by courier?

Thanks Mymo - it came with An Post and I had to sign for it. I had an email with a tracking number last night - when I checked the tracking number on their website it said that it was in Ballymount sorting office at 8pm or so last night and then the guy was knocking on my door at 8.15am this morning.

So if I just insert the micro sim and then wait for the port tomorrow morning - all should be fine and I should be on my own number.

• Advertisement

Yep, that's it. You will have to restart the phone after the porting, then it should be fine.
    Thanks for info, sadly I'm down the arse end of nowhere, postie won't be around until after lunch. I'll be at work, hopefully I can get it in post office in he morning.
    Have fun!

Thanks for all the help mymo - I still havent switched it on yet, Im kind of in awe of it (really Im afraid of it, my current phone is a 4 year old nokia that ever heard of a smartphone!). Would that charger cable work with the plug head of my ipad charger do you think? Thats got a usb cable that plugs into it.

Can you send someone to your house to wait for it? Thats a shame for you, I do hate missing a delivery myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

phone was waiting for me at home when i got back fromwork yesterday, it was ported incorrectly earlier in the day so a quick tweet to o2 andit was fixed in less than 5mins, all set up lovely,great phone, no lock button on the right side is a bit annoying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Got one of these myself yesterday but like Mymo I didn't get a tracking number.

I completed my transaction at 16.30 yesterday so I guess that it would be wishful thinking to have it today.

Looking forward to getting a play out of my new toy.

So for people who have ported with a new micro sim, how do you get your contacts into it from your old phone?

Is your old phone a smart phone?
    If so back up all your contacts to your gmail (assuming android here) and when you get new phone set up, just get your contacts from the gmail.
    I have an SE Arc, and it does it for you, go to contacts, in the menu look for send contacts, they can then be sent to email, Bluetooth, google drive, lots of other options. I'm sure there's something similar on your phone. The Htc should have an import contacts option, just choose from the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

HTC Sync Manager does have a "Transfer My Stuff" option when it starts up. It's fairly good for transferring data from one handset to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Yes the transfer my stuff thing is very good, set up everything as I had it on my old phone and all contacts/music/pictures etc too

Im afraid my old phone is an ancient nokia (think its 4 years old, could be 5), so no hope on any kind of transfer unfortunately.

Ive manually copied them into a text file, Ill input them myself and do a nice cull while Im at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ive manually copied them into a text file, Ill input them myself and do a nice cull while Im at it.

In this case it would be easier to add your contacts in Gmail on a PC.

Larger, easier to use keyboard for this sort of work. And then sync the phone with your gmail account so that the contacts are copied over.

This also has the advantage that your contacts are all backed up in gmail and when you change the phone again in future, you will never have to manually edit them again.

Advertisement