Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Corkfeen wrote: »
    It's still only 5am in America so nobody would be at work yet. :D Their new website is utterly headache inducing,even more so than before.......
    http://www.youthdefence.ie/

When they say "save the baby" they mean that the pregnant woman must hope that lady Luck look's after her while the Medics must concentrate their attention on the foetus in the womb. I'm supposing the YD people would also be praying to their version of a merciful God that the woman's life is saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Youth defense are being uncharacteristically quiet. Maybe now they can help babies by doing something like raise money for the babies that are born early and need care.

Or they could just throw the pram after the toys and scream about 60k people and how the majority is being ignored.
    Assuming that the garda count for their last rally of ~35,000 people is accurate, and assuming that there are 4.5million people in Ireland their 'majority' is 0.77%. That's one hell of a definition of 'majority' there :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

ninja900 wrote: »
    BBC News pic:

_68659714_abortion1.jpg

iPad? I thought the other lot were content with an eternal reward?

I think that was referencing how youth defence offered an ipad for best protest photo uploaded to their facebook a while back (a sly way to try and increase the number of people at protests). I didn't think they were still doing it though, but then again, I don't frequent any of their sites so maybe they still are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

HurtLocker wrote: »
    I won't. They love placing rally signs outside the CUH maternity buildings :(. I was disgusted when I saw them. I hope they lose their charitable status though. But for now I hope they would just f*ck off.

The poster edanto, on the thread about their site being hacked, pointed out that Youth Defence are not actually a charity. What they are is a political lobby group and while there is a agency to register with if you are a lobby group (SIPO, Standards in Public Office), it has no power to make them register.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

They left the best til last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Their new website is utterly headache inducing,even more so than before.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I wouldn't be surprised if they put some kind of spin on the whole thing in order to claim a victory. If they never admit when they are wrong, they are never going to admit defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Where's the party?

We should celebrate our freedom from the Catholic Church. They threw everything they had - excommunications, rosary crusades, candlelit processions, pickets, anonymous phone-calls, threats - and they failed.

We should celebrate today, July 12, as Freedom from Rome Rule Day.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Banbh wrote: »
    Where's the party?

We should celebrate our freedom from the Catholic Church. They threw everything they had - excommunications, rosary crusades, candlelit processions, pickets, anonymous phone-calls, threats - and they failed.

We should celebrate today, July 12, as Freedom from Rome Rule Day.:D

A bit premature. Their nefarious grip is still upon us. The battle will be long and arduous but the righteous shall prevail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

I won't. They love placing rally signs outside the CUH maternity buildings :(. I was disgusted when I saw them. I hope they lose their charitable status though. But for now I hope they would just f*ck off.

Although I'm delighted all their "Keep Ireland abortion free" and "abortion free zone" signs would be incorrect if displayed now.

A friend of mine was in CUH when they were putting them up. Once they had them on, and had stepped back to look at their handy work, the security guards took them down, right in front of them. And they couldn't do anything about it. Oh, to see them squirm would have been glorious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Does anyone know if Youth Defence are being supported through brown envelopes from abortion clinics in the UK?
    "Keep abortions in England, cha cha cha!" Youth Defence

I'm in the middle of another episode of Vincent Browne (Weds and Thurs eps) and the anti-choice debaters annoy the f*%k out of me. If I hear another politician talk about 'soul searching', in regards to anti-choice/ anti-women supporters/ TD's I'm going to eat 2 babies for supper.

Did anyone watch VB, Dana Scallion was on. She has to be one of the most simple minded and terrified people I've ever seen. Was she always this scared? She strikes me as one of those people who never get jokes. They still have that puzzled look on their face even after you've dissected the quip.

As if she wasn't irrelevant enough, there was a retired priest on the show. 'Oh yess, let's hear what this celibate man who wore a dress to work and believes in magic, has to say'.

Priests are only useful if you have questions about fairies, unicorns and ghosts. That's it!

Oh yeah, Cora Sherlock was on VB the other night too. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Does anyone know if Youth Defence are being supported through brown envelopes from abortion clinics in the UK?
    "Keep abortions in England, cha cha cha!" Youth Defence

This is something I have wondered. When told woman can go to england they say let them go there just dont let them have abortions here. You would think if they really cared they would want to stop women traveling to England.

The main aim is to keep abortion out of ireland, not protect life. Even then that ship sailed long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

_rebelkid wrote: »
    A friend of mine was in CUH when they were putting them up. Once they had them on, and had stepped back to look at their handy work, the security guards took them down, right in front of them. And they couldn't do anything about it. Oh, to see them squirm would have been glorious :)

That brought a smile to my face. Brilliant :). Hopefully they'll remove the ones from the bus stop outside and across outside the Wilton car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This is something I have wondered. When told woman can go to england they say let them go there just dont let them have abortions here. You would think if they really cared they would want to stop women traveling to England.

The main aim is to keep abortion out of ireland, not protect life. Even then that ship sailed long ago.

Its a lobby group. The people in charged get paid a pretty penny to tell lies nothing more nothing less.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's just dawned on me that as we are about to start calculating our annual rate of maternal death the same way that most other countries do, the pro-life campaigners are going to start saying; 'look Ireland was the safest place to give birth in and now that we've introduced abortion our maternal death rate has sky-rocketed.' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yep, YD's next poster.

MATERNAL DEATH IN IRELAND SKYROCKETS AFTER PASSING KILL BILL!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

iguana wrote: »
    It's just dawned on me that as we are about to start calculating our annual rate of maternal death the same way that most other countries do, the pro-life campaigners are going to start saying; 'look Ireland was the safest place to give birth in and now that we've introduced abortion our maternal death rate has sky-rocketed.' :(

Ah, arse. Yes, good point.

• Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Jernal wrote: »
    Yep, YD's next poster.

MATERNAL DEATH IN IRELAND SKYROCKETS AFTER PASSING KILL BILL!

Damn you, Tarantino!! Damn you to hell!!! :mad::mad::P:pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

ethical wrote: »
    Give Lucinda credit,she decided from day one what way she was going to vote and stuck by it whether you agree with her or not.....whereas TD O'Mahony and Mulherin put the pay packet before their beliefs!.

The same wan was not too long ago looking for abortion on demand similar to the UK, but thought she'd get more votes making a fuss here.

The look on her face last night on the RTÉ headlines said it all, she was a person who had dug so deep she didn't know how to get back out. I'm fully convinced that Loose Lips expected that Edna would roll back on the suicide clause in the hopes she'd bash her eyelids in his direction. And then she'd be able to stand to "the people" as the woman "who defied the tyranny of Edna."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

It's still only 5am in America so nobody would be at work yet. :D Their new website is utterly headache inducing,even more so than before.......

According to Flagfox it is running of a US server, with IP of 74.205.120.103 (whois info).

Some highlights of the other hosted sites include:
    AbramsForestVetClinic.com
    AfshinZiaFat.com
    AlomaBaptist.com

If anyone is pro there I'd like to see full stats on that server.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Guaranteed Irish abortions ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm fully convinced that Loose Lips expected that Edna would roll back on the suicide clause in the hopes she'd bash her eyelids in his direction.

If he had, there would have been rocks through the windows of Leinster House. You cannot defy the will of the people.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That brought a smile to my face. Brilliant :). Hopefully they'll remove the ones from the bus stop outside and across outside the Wilton car park.

Where exactly?... I know somebody who enjoys a bit of drunken poster salvage, I wouldn't dream of encouraging them of course...

The same wan was not too long ago looking for abortion on demand similar to the UK, but thought she'd get more votes making a fuss here.

Seriously???? Even with this in the 1967 UK Abortion Act: (a little-known section of the 1967 abortion legislation means that the upper limit of 24 weeks can be set aside and the baby can be terminated "up to birth" if tests indicate the child will have a disability when born).

I'd have thought she might have read/researched that act, re her stated position. If she did, then one might assume that she may have wanted the boat/plane traffic to continue, so the "abortion option" would stay abroad. That implication would be revealing :-')

Pretty ballsy woman in Texas.

I regret there was a second round in the Texas Senate: (we'll vote and vote until we get it right, OK?)

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/senate-passes-abortion-restrictions-29417409.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Hmmmm...some of those 'arguments' seem familiar, now where could I have encountered them before??

*scrolls back a few pages* - Ah - there they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

TheChizler wrote: »
    Where exactly?... I know somebody who enjoys a bit of drunken poster salvage, I wouldn't dream of encouraging them of course...

Outside Wilton Shopping Center car park straight across from the CUH maternity building and just outside CUH gates next to the bus shelter have old rally signs around it as of 2 days ago(since i was last there) and outside the Elision near the big Garda barracks has those kill the bill not the baby yokes on the junction as of 6pm yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Perhaps some of you knowledgeable people could help me with this one.

The fact that women will face a jail sentence for gaining an abortion now, seems to me like something that would be hard to prove. Lets say for instance, that a women has a misscarrige. What's to stop them from saying she obtained an illegal abortion? Was the misscarrige "natural"? etc.

I assume they would need some harder evidence though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement