Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Labour's Michael McNamara of Clare voted against the Government on Amendment 10, but the party's Whip Emmet Stagg has said the vote was a genuine mistake.

Do they even know wtf they are voting on half the time? :mad:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Soooo - I was knackered and went to bed with me kindle (stop tittering in the cheap seats). Did I miss anything interesting?

Two possibilities:

(a) No
    (b) 300 posts were deleted. :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ninja900 wrote: »

Two possibilities:

(a) No
    (b) 300 posts were deleted. :pac:

a) Ah.

b) That is outrageous! I demand we be given the choice to read 300 posts of the same-oh same-oh...actually, never mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This seems to be one of the big talking points according to what I've seen on Twitter:

http://t.co/dJJi8R3H56

Penn wrote: »
    This seems to be one of the big talking points according to what I've seen on Twitter:

http://t.co/dJJi8R3H56

Just heard it called 'Lapgate'....:rolleyes:

Twatgate would be more like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Just heard it called 'Lapgate'....:rolleyes:

Twatgate would be more like it.

That seems to be something the Irish Independent invented. They were claiming it had "gone viral" after a few hours, but all the links I could find were to their website.

fry.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm unsure on that video; the quality isn't great and we can't hear what's going on so for all we know she didn't mind it.

Granted it does appear that this man has no respect for a woman's boundaries, and she does appear to pull away very abruptly, but that of itself means nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

kylith wrote: »
    I'm unsure on that video; the quality isn't great and we can't hear what's going on so for all we know she didn't mind it.

Granted it does appear that this man has no respect for a woman's boundaries, and she does appear to pull away very abruptly, but that of itself means nothing.
    The thing is, it should never have occurred during such a serious debate and shows a lack of respect for the Dail at the very least . Funnily enough, Barry is the same guy who wrote to Papal Nuncio to confirm he wouldn't be excommunicated, I guess he has done old school Christian misogyny going on too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

High court challenge being lodged today

bumper234 wrote: »
    High court challenge being lodged today

Can they do that when it hasn't actually been passed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Corkfeen wrote: »
    The thing is, it should never have occurred during such a serious debate and shows a lack of respect for the Dail at the very least . Funnily enough, Barry is the same guy who wrote to Papal Nuncio to confirm he wouldn't be excommunicated, I guess he has done old school Christian misogyny going on too...

It looks to me like it was during a break in proceedings. Are they supposed to remain serious for the entire time that they're in the building?

If it was done without her permission then it was certainly out of order, but for all we know she asked if she could sit on his lap for a cuddle.

• Advertisement

Not sure i just heard it on 98 fm news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There was talk of recommending passing it straight from Higgins to the supreme court according to Shatter, as it most likely is going to be challenged anyway. Suppose it would be good to get it clarified from the start (20 years late start that is).

TheChizler wrote: »
    There was talk of recommending passing it straight from Higgins to the supreme court according to Shatter, as it most likely is going to be challenged anyway. Suppose it would be good to get it clarified from the start (20 years late start that is).

My understanding of the procedure (open to correction) is that if Higgins refers it to the Council of State and they declare it is ok there can be no challenge to it, if he just signs it then it's constitutionality can be challenged.

Given that it seems to abide by the minimum required to conform to the X Referendum and the Supreme Court ruling I can't see how it's constitutionality can be successfully challenged.

Just seen this on indo twitter

#AbortionVote: Kenny to give abortion debate another two days http://indo.ie/mRrvc #Dail

:eek:

bumper234 wrote: »
    Just seen this on indo twitter

#AbortionVote: Kenny to give abortion debate another two days http://indo.ie/mRrvc #Dail

:eek:

But in two days I will be on holiday in no internetland (aka rural Ireland) and I won't be able to keep up with the cut and thrust of the debate....

Hmmmmm....

:D:D:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Jesus, the idiots delayed it again?

Sarky wrote: »
    Jesus, the idiots delayed it again?

They want to give it as long a gestation period as possible to increase it's chances of survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

But in two days I will be on holiday in no internetland (aka rural Ireland) and I won't be able to keep up with the cut and thrust of the debate....

Hmmmmm....

:D:D:D.

Would you like to???????????? (glance's at "Gandalf" and the water-sprinklers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/independent-td-seeking-high-court-injunction-to-block-vote-on-abortion-bill-29412930.html

Excuse the ignorance, I haven't been keeping up with the debate, what with work and all and I am just wondering whether or not Mattie McGrath is prolife or prochoice??? By the sounds of the article above he seems prochoice but just wanted to double check as wording of the 2002 referendum on abortion was a bit iffy...

Just caught up with Twitter and stuff because my home internets don't work.

Amazing to see Tom Barry sexually harassing a colleague during a debate on women's rights. Says it all about our political system, really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Nevermind, I'm an idiot just read some of the previous comments!! >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

My discovery that women don't actually own their womb began in January 2002. The moment I heard the words "incompatible with life", my own life changed. I remember walking out of the hospital thinking, 'This is what really, really bad news tastes like'.

The worst was yet to come. The silence, the grief.

The words "not in this jurisdiction" meant there would be no humane treatment. I would have to carry on as normal, taking care of my children, working and grieving. I was four-and-a-half months pregnant with one dead twin and one that wouldn't survive. The doctor said my options were to carry to term or go away. "Go away?" I asked, bewildered.

Full article here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I like this one.:)
    image.jpg

Source.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You know when the bill is passed I think half of A&A are going to have withdrawal symptoms from this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

jank wrote: »
    You know when the bill is passed I think half of A&A are going to have withdrawal symptoms from this topic.

We're just getting started. There's fatal foetal abonormalities, rape, and finally, abortion for women who no longer wish to be pregnant, for whatever reason, all needing to be legislated for.

Don't mind him, he was probably just trying for a cheap shot.

Just hearing from Newstalk that Mattie McGrath's legal challenge was thrown out already. So that's nice.

Sarky wrote: »
    Don't mind him, he was probably just trying for a cheap shot.

Just hearing from Newstalk that Mattie McGrath's legal challenge was thrown out already. So that's nice.

Yeah only another 123 to go :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Are you joking? :mad: I'll not shut-up on this topic till the 4,000+ women who have to unnecessarily travel for an abortion every year are treated with the health care, the dignity and the respect that they deserve in this country. I realise that probably means a lifetime of campaigning, but I'll do it for my son's, my niece and every woman in Ireland. Please don't throw out trite comments like that in the face of the ACTUAL struggle that we have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The bill that the government put forward was still highly inadequate and the abortion debate is far from over. I think there's around 1500 per year and they're deserted by the state. Catherine Murphy called for government to have referendum on it last night. Plus there's the cases of rape and incest.

I don't understand your need to be so cynical of this thread and its contributors.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

12 months ago most people were calling for the x-case to be legislated for, that is happening for right now. This is a stepping stone as you will. It is going to be years more before the Irish people want to go though this trite process again. Once this is done, it is going to pass out of the public sphere for a time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement