Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    She will be in the Dail for a long time whether it is with FG or an independent.

She has no hope of re-election in Dublin South East even if FG let her back in (and they won't.)

Meanwhile, almost every letter in the Irish Times today was anti-choice, most of them had very poor arguments. This was the worst:
    Sir, – Methinks Lucinda Creighton will top the polls, either in or out of her ministry or Fine Gael. What a breath of fresh air – somebody with a conscience in an atheistic Government. – Yours, etc,

MICHAEL O’MARA,

Ballygeale,

Patrickswell,

Co Limerick.

There's not a big enough :rolleyes: for that. The second sentence is even more idiotic than the first.

Edit: fairly flying through the amendments now (on RTE News Now) it should finish up tonight. We'll have a law that gives limited protection to the lives of women and none to their health, yay... but it's still an improvement on what we have now. What a country.

Edit 2: oh and the 14 year sentence for taking a pill, it's an improvement on life imprisonment under the 1861 Act :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

BBC News pic:

_68659714_abortion1.jpg

iPad? I thought the other lot were content with an eternal reward?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

ninja900 wrote: »
    She has no hope of re-election in Dublin South East even if FG let her back in (and they won't.)

Someone like herself (career politician) would probably move to a place more acclimatised towards her brand of politics and morality. FG will probably let her back in though if the next election is close.

I think she would probably need to move to a decade more acclimatised towards her brand of politics. I wouldn't regard her position as a moral one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Twitter tells me the vote passed 127 for, 31 against.

About f*cking time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Sarky wrote: »
    Twitter tells me the vote passed 127 for, 31 against.

About f*cking time.

Wait does that mean it remains at 14 years or is reduced to 5? The fact abortion still a criminal offence baffles me.

That was on an amendment. They adjourned to 10:30 in the morning.

Edit: RTE and Irish Times saying it was the final vote. Didn't think they'd bother with the excuse that is the Friday sitting if the bill had passed all stages. Was dividing my attention between boards and VinB :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Huffington Post reporting on the bill passing.

My favourite part of the protests outside:
    Outside the parliament building, rival abortion protesters have maintained a round-the-clock vigil for two days. Police have kept them separated, except when one anti-abortion activist flicked Catholic holy water into the ranks of abortion rights protesters, Exorcist-style.

Both sides also shouted occasional insults at each other, though the anti-abortion protesters spent long periods on their knees with rosary beads in hand. At dusk, many lit votive candles. One accidentally set fire to a pro-life poster, but the flames were extinguished with more holy water

Lots of butthurt anti-choicers using the #IStandWithLucinda hashtag. Which has led me to some Googling, and thus to Lucinda Leong. So something good came out of it all.

It's passed! Hopefully we won't allow politicians to dog there heads into the sand for another 20 years on 40,3,3 (too much VB :o). We've a new generation of people who don't share the avid pro life views of the current batch of ministers /TDs

• Advertisement

Well in that case it's about flippin' time that people like us made our voices and votes heard and ejected the rosary bead flippers out on their collective behinds. I'm half-minded to print up an anti-life pledge for any candidates who dare call to my door next time around :pac:

Less of the 'new generation' thing :) though, most of us who are most vocal for change can remember the 1970s. That's the reason why we're vocal for change, perhaps... In Irish political terms, under 60 is 'new generation' I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

So, has society collapsed yet?

Also, let us take a moment to mourn the fact we don't get to see Silvio.Dante's meltdown in reaction to this passing.

You can always head to AH and observe Phill Ewen being bitter.

I think I'm just as delighted that Youth Defence got such a slap in the balls with that vote as I am that the bill passed the Dail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oooh, now I can get that abortion I always wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

So were there any amendments, for better or worse, actually made?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The group, which includes former MEP Kathy Sinnott, wants to stop the vote on abortion legislation and to remove provisions they say have already been rejected by the people of Ireland in the 2002 referendum.
    And the people who want to block the usual democratic process by using the courts are the same people who complain that Enda's not being democratic by having denied a free vote on the issue?

Words etc, fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Oooh, now I can get that abortion I always wanted.

All you need to do is pretend to be suicidal! :D

Get some red marker and draw a few lines on your wrists!

Oh ****....
    Can anyone draw an infographic?
    Step 1: Get pregnant.
    Step 2: Create realistic scarring with marker.
    Step 3: Convince a panel of 4 Medical and Mental health experts that you are suicidal.
    Step 4: Abortion!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Love this comment from the Irish Times

'Congratulations' to captain Kenny and his ship of fools.
    There will be much celebration in pubs across the length and breadth of Ireland.
    Captain Kenny has given the people of Ireland the' supreme human right' for mums and dads to be, to be able to snuff out the life of unwanted junior; the ultimate human right to be 'gods', arbiters of who lives and dies.
    The law of unintended consequences will prevail.
    British papers report the women who have had multiple abortions and one who has had 9 abortions.
    Some human right, a charter for male selfishness, and female stupidity.
    A initial trickle of 'hard cases' will ultimately lead to a torrent of 'on demand' abortions. A tsunami of British proportions
    But Kenny and his ship of fools will only be celebrating a pyrrhic victory along with their gullible
    supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

old hippy wrote: »
    Love this comment from the Irish Times

'Congratulations' to captain Kenny and his ship of fools.
    There will be much celebration in pubs across the length and breadth of Ireland.
    Captain Kenny has given the people of Ireland the' supreme human right' for mums and dads to be, to be able to snuff out the life of unwanted junior; the ultimate human right to be 'gods', arbiters of who lives and dies.
    The law of unintended consequences will prevail.
    British papers report the women who have had multiple abortions and one who has had 9 abortions.
    Some human right, a charter for male selfishness, and female stupidity.
    A initial trickle of 'hard cases' will ultimately lead to a torrent of 'on demand' abortions. A tsunami of British proportions
    But Kenny and his ship of fools will only be celebrating a pyrrhic victory along with their gullible
    supporters.

I will so enjoy the likes of the Iona crowd and Yoof Defence stamping their little feet over the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is that commenter doing a warm up for John Waters?

• Advertisement

Is that commenter doing a warm up for John Waters?

Maybe it is John Waters.

lazygal wrote: »
    I will so enjoy the likes of the Iona crowd and Yoof Defence stamping their little feet over the weekend.

I won't. They love placing rally signs outside the CUH maternity buildings :(. I was disgusted when I saw them. I hope they lose their charitable status though. But for now I hope they would just f*ck off.

Although I'm delighted all their "Keep Ireland abortion free" and "abortion free zone" signs would be incorrect if displayed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Youth defense are being uncharacteristically quiet. Maybe now they can help babies by doing something like raise money for the babies that are born early and need care.

Or they could just throw the pram after the toys and scream about 60k people and how the majority is being ignored.

HurtLocker wrote: »
    I won't. They love placing rally signs outside the CUH maternity buildings :(. I was disgusted when I saw them. I hope they lose their charitable status though. But for now I hope they would just f*ck off.

Although I'm delighted all their "Keep Ireland abortion free" and "abortion free zone" signs would be incorrect if displayed now.

I enjoyed telling them I had a termination of pregnancy at 39 weeks last year when I encountered them recently with my child in a buggy and a prominent bump. They're not so wild about the born, given that they ignored my comment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there an updated copy of the legislation that passed available online now? Is this it?

http://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/protection-life-pregnancy.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Liked Mary Coughlan (jazz singer - not the TD) on VB last night. Re the 14 year prison term V 5 year prison term, did I hear correctly that the 5 year term was an amendment (one of the failed) offered by Lucinda?

Oh yes: best wishes to bannasidhe on your few days off, and NOT being deprived of the "excitement".

Is there an updated copy of the legislation that passed available online now? Is this it?

http://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/protection-life-pregnancy.pdf

As its now going to the Seanad today I don't think the parliamentary draftspersons would have the updated Bill online. It'll be on the Oireachtas website. That's a draft Bill which wouldn't have been debated, a published Bill is what went before the Dáil and committee.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/bills28/bills/2013/6613/document1.htm

This is what you'll need to keep an eye on. There may be amendments made by the Minister in the Seanad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Youth defense are being uncharacteristically quiet. Maybe now they can help babies by doing something like raise money for the babies that are born early and need care.

Or they could just throw the pram after the toys and scream about 60k people and how the majority is being ignored.

It's still only 5am in America so nobody would be at work yet. :D Their new website is utterly headache inducing,even more so than before.......
    http://www.youthdefence.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I imagine international and national tele-conferences are taking place to confirm SC appeals when it goes through the Seanad and (if) Mick sign's it into law.

• Advertisement

aloyisious wrote: »
    I imagine international and national tele-conferences are taking place to confirm SC appeals when it goes through the Seanad and (if) Mick sign's it into law.

And the extra dollars they'll need for the legal team they are assembling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement