Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

jank wrote: »
    You know when the bill is passed I think half of A&A are going to have withdrawal symptoms from this topic.

Aaaaah, the exasperated outbursts of those knowing they're on the wrong side of morality and history...does go well with my coffee :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

You know when the bill is passed I think half of A&A are going to have withdrawal symptoms from this topic.

When this bill passes, half of the YD membership will abort themselves from the shock. They are expecting Irish politicians never to grow a single vertebra between them, forgetting that they now constitute a tiny, if highly dangerous and violent, minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

kylith wrote: »
    It looks to me like it was during a break in proceedings. Are they supposed to remain serious for the entire time that they're in the building?

If it was done without her permission then it was certainly out of order, but for all we know she asked if she could sit on his lap for a cuddle.

Based on this article which contains this quote
    “One deputy’s actions were unwelcome to another deputy.

I would like to retract my earlier statements and wholeheartedly agree that this incident was unacceptable, the man responsible an idiot, and I am another step closer to dying of embarrassment because the entire world is now watching our political process and those fecking gombeens are making a holy show of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Based on this article which contains this quote

I would like to retract my earlier statements and wholeheartedly agree that this incident was unacceptable, the man responsible and idiot, and I am another step closer to dying of embarrassment because the entire world is now watching our political process and those fecking gombeens are making a holy show of us.

Scary part of it is that most of us just see it as another normal day in Ireland :(

bumper234 wrote: »
    Scary part of it is that most of us just see it as another normal day in Ireland :(

There was also apparently a statement that 'none of them had been drinking to excess'. Would other countries allow politicians to drink when debating on legislation?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

aloyisious wrote: »
    Would you like to???????????? (glance's at "Gandalf" and the water-sprinklers)

Meh - I'm sure I'll notice the floodgates opening and the wash of dead babies gushing down the boreen when I pop to the shop in local village (of 2 garages, 2 shops and 49 pubs) for milk for the grandchilder*. I would send OH but she fractured her ankle so can't drive and is crap at noticing stuff anyway so the only info I'd be likely to get from her is that they have tayto chocolate in the shop.

Will our civilization also collapse or do we have to wait for same-sex marriage for that?

*won't bring grandchilder in case some pro-choicer decides to abort them now that it is about to become compulsory.

There was also apparently a statement that 'none of them had been drinking to excess'. Would other countries allow politicians to drink when debating on legislation?

Un****ingbelievable and these are the same planks telling us not to be drinking and that the image of the oirish using any excuse to drink makes the country look bad! <Snip>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst likely I'd be contra most other posters in this thread opinion wise, that the least certain politicians could do would have some measure of decorum during the debate, which the TDs (one a local one to me) seemed to lack in their horseplay.

Actually i retract my last statement. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Sarky wrote: »
    Don't mind him, he was probably just trying for a cheap shot.

Just hearing from Newstalk that Mattie McGrath's legal challenge was thrown out already. So that's nice.

High Court rejects application to stop abortion legislation being passed

Irish Examiner.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 03:52 PM

High Court President Nicholas Kearns has rejected a last minute bid to stop the Oireachtas voting on abortion legislation.

The litigants, including former MEP Kathy Sinnott, have been told the matter is currently on the floor of Leinster House and the courts do not have any entitlement whatsoever to interfere at this stage.

The hearing lasted approximately five minutes.

Lay litigants Mark McCrystal and Jane Murphy from Dublin approached the bench and submitted papers asking High Court President for leave to stop the government usurping the will of the Irish people.

The group, which includes former MEP Kathy Sinnott, wants to stop the vote on abortion legislation and to remove provisions they say have already been rejected by the people of Ireland in the 2002 referendum.

President Kearns said he was satisfied he did not have the jurisdiction to grant any such relief as the matter was the preserve of the legislature. Under the doctrine of the separation of powers the courts have no authority to intervene at this stage, he said.

It is believed the group is now trying to urgently bring its application to the Supreme Court.

Edit. Mr McGrath said that he was making the move because the bill did not respect the verdict of the people in two abortion referendums..... DriveTime report's that Mattie want's to injunct the Dail debate itself. It's a pity, I'd like to see them work for the entire weekend :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The supreme court? The one that ordered this legislation 21 years ago in the first place? Yeah, good luck with that. I hope they're not using public money for this time-wasting idiocy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

12 months ago most people were calling for the x-case to be legislated for, that is happening for right now. This is a stepping stone as you will. It is going to be years more before the Irish people want to go though this trite process again. Once this is done, it is going to pass out of the public sphere for a time.

Most of the Irish public are supportive of legislating for rape and incest victims plus those with fatal foetal abnormalities. It would be foolish fit the government bit to sort it.

aloyisious wrote: »
    High Court rejects application to stop abortion legislation being passed

Irish Examiner.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 03:52 PM

High Court President Nicholas Kearns has rejected a last minute bid to stop the Oireachtas voting on abortion legislation.

Lay litigants Mark McCrystal and Jane Murphy from Dublin approached the bench and submitted papers asking High Court President for leave to stop the government usurping the will of the Irish people.

how exactly are they " usurping the will of the Irish people"? We've been telling them to legislate for twenty frigging years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

how exactly are they " usurping the will of the Irish people"? We've been telling them to legislate for twenty frigging years!

Ah but don't forget about the 1,000,000 good honest catlicks marching the other day for de baaaayyyyyybeeeesss. Their will counts for more than us wife-swapping sodomite, baby eating atheists.

Apparently part of the HC case brought said the Bill included two parts that we, the Irish People, had decided on by constitutional referendum. Mattie claimed the legislature, via the bill, was trying to overturn two referendum results. One part referred to the 1861 abortion act, which Mattie claimed was decided on by referendum. I don't know yet what the other part is.

What can we do about them? What can we do about the jokers who are the ruination of us all? Can we not complain to their mammies about them acting the maggot? That's probably the only person they'll listen to.

What can we do about them? What can we do about the jokers who are the ruination of us all? Can we not complain to their mammies about them acting the maggot? That's probably the only person they'll listen to.

Sneak in and cut the mic-cables, that'd cause (silenced) uproar. I can just imagine all the red-faces and tears.

Nice idea about the mammy: imagine's kitchen scene - "Listen you, it's early to bed for you now after a good skelping, where's the dog-lead?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Aaaaah, the exasperated outbursts of those knowing they're on the wrong side of morality and history...does go well with my coffee :P

Everyone think they are doing the right thing morally ;) by the way I am more open minded on abortion than you want to think, now where are my horns and crucifix... I have a YD protest to attend! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The irony of it all. By going to the HC they are presuming to speak for the Irish people, thereby usurping the will of the Irish people.

Eh, no. Tell the PP on them. He'll tell them off and they won't do it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....I wonder if any of them outside were wondering what craggy Island was and why they should go to it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Nodin wrote: »
    ....I wonder if any of them outside were wondering what craggy Island was and why they should go to it....

I was looking at some footage of the prolifers outside Leinster house saying prayers and I couldn't get the below episode of Fr. Ted out of my head!

is there anything to be said for another mass.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My understanding of the procedure (open to correction) is that if Higgins refers it to the Council of State and they declare it is ok there can be no challenge to it, if he just signs it then it's constitutionality can be challenged.

Not quite, the Council of State advise the President but it's his decision to refer it to the Supreme Court or not. If he does, it will either be struck down or rendered immune to any future constitutional challenge.

That Mattie McGrath 'case' was the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time. The referendums he was referring to resulted in the Irish people voting to NOT remove suicide as a ground for abortion. If he had the slightest grasp of the basics of the Constitution, and how separation of powers is supposed to work in a democracy, he'd know that the High Court cannot injuct the Oireachtas from voting or not voting in a particular way. The only means open to him would be (if the Supreme Court have not already insulated the Bill from challenge, as above) would be to wait for it to be enacted and then challenge it on constitutional grounds. Not that he'd have much of a chance.

How can an elected representative be that ignorant about his own profession. What is he doing there?

FWIW the House of Commons has about six bars, and has had more than its fair share of drunken MPs (fights, etc) but afaik not in the chamber itself :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

Ninja900:How can an elected representative be that ignorant about his own profession. What is he doing there?

Looking after his (constituents) interests :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I must conclude he's just using the court system as a publicity stunt. Pretty sickening.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Anyone else delighted that lucinda is gone? Someone that would stick to her "principles" when it comes to religious beliefs being forced upon the public but ignore any of those christian "pricipals" when it comes to cuts on the vulnerable in society - those that are born. The more i heard how important lucinda could be within the fg party the more i worried that she might vote with the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

UDP wrote: »
    Anyone else delighted that lucinda is gone? Someone that would stick to her "principles" when it comes to religious beliefs being forced upon the public but ignore any of those christian "pricipals" when it comes to cuts on the vulnerable in society - those that are born. The more i heard how important lucinda could be within the fg party the more i worried that she might vote with the government.

Career politician along with her husband who is making a name for herself as someone with a "conscience" (I hate the way this word is used as if the person is automatically right because its their conscience. Stalin had a conscience too). She will be in the Dail for a long time whether it is with FG or an independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Give Lucinda credit,she decided from day one what way she was going to vote and stuck by it whether you agree with her or not.....whereas TD O'Mahony and Mulherin put the pay packet before their beliefs!.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ethical wrote: »
    Give Lucinda credit,she decided from day one what way she was going to vote and stuck by it whether you agree with her or not.....whereas TD O'Mahony and Mulherin put the pay packet before their beliefs!.

In other words was completely closed minded to all facts and arguments, took the fingers in ears approach?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

ethical wrote: »
    This argument bugs me. This woman is to be given credit for being stubborn and ignorant and for voting against the will of the irish people and against european law and our judicial system and constitution? Good riddance to her.
    Good to see religious fundies losing decision making positions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement