Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

lazygal wrote: »
    Time for Seanad Bingo.

Key terms will be:
    Showing the value of the upper house (5.7 million)
    Abortion is never a treatment for suicide (x1.5 million from Fidelma Healy Eames alone)
    Evidence based medicine
    Valuing the both lives
    Slippery slope
    Floodgates

Feel free to add.

I wonder if anybody comes on with the "congratulations, you've just aborted Beethoven" logical fallacy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I wonder if anybody comes on with the "congratulations, you've just aborted Beethoven" logical fallacy?

FFer came close today. Serious appeals to emotion going on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

FG Senator claims anti-abortion campaign are attempting to trade votes against the abortion bill for votes in favour of keeping the Seanad:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/fg-senator-claims-anti-abortion-campaign-trying-to-trade-votes-1.1464675
    Anti-abortion campaigners are offering to vote against the Seanad’s abolition if Senators oppose the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill, Fine Gael Senator Imelda Henry has said. “I am quite disturbed by the way the Pro-Life Campaign has behaved, particularly in the past two days,’’ she said. “They have been asking Senators not to support this Bill in return for voting to save the Seanad.’’

Ms Henry said that as a woman and mother she supported the legislation dealing with the X case. “I know personally it is not always possible to save both mother and baby, and I believe we must protect our doctors in the rare event that the mother’s life is at risk and a termination is required.” Ms Henry, who was speaking during the Seanad debate on the Bill which began yesterday, said the language of suspicion surrounding suicidal ideation in pregnant women was doing a disservice to women. “It shames vulnerable women.’’

Ned O’Sullivan (FF) said he would support the Bill, adding that he had what was known in the Catholic Church as an informed conscience. “I say that because there seems to be a suggestion that possession of a conscience is the sole preserve of those who are opposed to the Bill,’’ he added. “Conscience is an individual thing and it is up to each adult person to do what he perceives is right.’’

Mr O’Sullivan said that while politicians knew about pressure, it became bullying when it was systematically targeted. He added that he was hitting back now at some of the activities he had witnessed and experienced in the anti-Bill campaign. Some groups campaigning against the Bill had spent inordinate amounts of money getting their message across to TDs and Senators, with some reputed to receive their funding from fundamentalist organisations. Some were secret and located in Ireland and abroad, especially in America, he said. “I think it is time that these organisations should come out of the closet and declare what they are spending in propagating their extreme fundamentalist views,’’ he added. “And they should also have to account for the source of this funding, just as we elected representatives are required to do.’’

Mr O’Sullivan said some statements by the Catholic Church during the debate had also come close to bullying. “And as a Catholic I regret to have to say that.’’ He added that it was former taoiseach Jack Lynch who had proposed the removal of article 44 of the Constitution giving special recognition to the position of the Catholic Church. “Some of our eminent churchmen do not seem to have got that message yet, because they are certainly not taking any cognisance of it.’’

Mr O’Sullivan said that veiled threats of excommunication and the like were ‘’redolent of a different Ireland which we have moved on from and to which we have no intention of returning’’. He added that “this is a Republic and there are clear lines of demarcation between church and State’’. He believed people had no wish to revert to the days when the infamous belt of a crozier put politicians in their place.

“If I had as clear a conscience about the rest of my life as I have about supporting this Bill, then I would be in very good terms with myself when I go to meet my maker.’’ Labhras Ó Murchú (FF) said they had to keep reminding themselves, even though certain comments had been made about the church and religion and people being sanctimonious, that they were talking about the right to life. “We have learned, and it is acknowledged widely, that Ireland has the safest medical environment for an expectant mother and that treatment is not withheld when the life of the mother is in danger.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

robindch wrote: »
    FG Senator claims anti-abortion campaign are attempting to trade votes against the abortion bill for votes in favour of keeping the Seanad:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/fg-senator-claims-anti-abortion-campaign-trying-to-trade-votes-1.1464675

Ha, good old Leabhras, see/hear/speak no evil :rolleyes:

It's a pity that the FG Senator uses everyday terms such as "come out of the closet" in reference to some groups, I mean they have to be given some respect: think of how they'd feel being likened to the "intrinsically-disordered" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Who needs democracy when you have bribery. Seems like they have worked out that they have lost. About time too, now they can move on to gay marriage so we can shut them up with that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

maguic24 wrote: »
    You're telling me!!! Abortion is evil but it's perfectly okay for priests to rape little children....the ****? Also they are completely against gay marriage yet how many scandals in the Catholic Church involved priests and little boys??!! Sodomy is bad except if its with children. Disgusting, what sort of a god condones child molestation and rape??? :mad:

One that doesn't exist?

• Moderators Posts: 51,739 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Warning: Linked article contains image of smiling Ronan Mullen :eek::pac:

Doctors may use abortion over early delivery to avoid liability if baby disabled, Seanad told
    The Government’s abortion legislation may incentivise a doctor to provide an abortion instead of an early inducement to avoid liability where a baby is born with a disability, the Seanad has heard.

Mr Mullen said the reasonable opinion required imposes no duty to ensure that where practicable a viable child should be delivered rather than aborted. He said: “It may in fact incentivise a medical practitioner to opt for an abortion instead of an early inducement so as to avoid questions of civil liability on foot of the disablement of a child.”

Mullen thinks that doctors will terminate a viable foetus to avoid liability where it is born with a disability.

Does he not think they will be liable for the termination of the foetus with no valid medical reason? It has to be something the medical ethics board would take punitive action on should such a termination occur.

He is attempting to scare every pregnant women who is carrying a foetus that will be born disabled. He is damaging the doctor-patient relationship by making such wild accusations.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Is there anyway we could get a side vote on having these numpties voice boxes removed:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

bumper234 wrote: »
    Is there anyway we could get a side vote on having these numpties voice boxes removed:mad:

There'll be a referendum in the Autumn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Mullen, <folks> like you will see the Seanad abolished instead of reformed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

On the difficulties of counting crowds:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23312656
    Counting crowds has become so much more about public relations and point-scoring than a quest for the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

One that doesn't exist?

God does exist, the bible says so...BOOM! ;)

God does exist, the bible says so...BOOM! ;)

So does Dumbledore ya muggle :D

So does Dumbledore ya muggle :D

Don't forget about Gandalf! :P

Don't forget about Gandalf! :P

Either one is a better story, Can just imagine some kid in 2000 years finding an old dog eared copy of lord of the rings and it becoming a religion.:D

Either one is a better story, Can just imagine some kid in 2000 years finding an old dog eared copy of lord of the rings and it becoming a religion.:D

It would be a better a religion than half the religions that are around today!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

robindch wrote: »

"We'll let you keep your advisory and revisory role if you don't advise or revise"...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I WASN’T AT the Dail last Wednesday night. I wasn’t there on Thursday night either. And though I was heartened to see the protesters in front of the Dail, reminding TDs about the women they are representing, my reality couldn’t have felt farther away from the Dail.
    That Wednesday was my first day of the week as an Abortion Support Network phone volunteer – meaning that for the next week, I would be answering calls from women who were seeking practical information and financial support about accessing an abortion in England.

From calm to incoherent – callers display a range of emotions
    My first call on Wednesday was from a woman who was frantic because her abusive partner had stolen her passport. “He’s told me he’ll kill me if I have an abortion,” she told me. In all the Dail debates, I never once heard discussion about the real and substantial risk to life a pregnant woman might face from a partner. As a result, I walked the woman through the process of flying without a passport. She cried with relief when we told her we’d be able to give her a small grant towards the price of her procedure.

. . .

Full article here.

Mullen probably think's that morality and ethics are gifts from his church, not applicable to outsiders. He probably believe's that Ireland is alive with heathens and unbelievers. As for Dumbledore and Gandalf, don't knock them: the Bible say's the Magi visited Mary and Christ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Jernal wrote: »

So thats what people with a conscience do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm in tears reading that piece (damn pregnancy hormones!). I donate to the ASN, time for another donation I think.

https://www.abortionsupport.org.uk/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've become a bit tired of hearing the word conscience in this debate. Why is it framed in such a way that somehow a politician voting with their moral or religious conscience means they therefore have more credibility in going against something? If certain people voted with their political conscience the country might be in a better state.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Seems to be what they're into. This forum seem quite keen to find out names and work addresses of pro-choice activists.
    I would advise anybody who was demonstrating on behalf of the pro-choice campaign to have a look at the pictures in that thread to see if they are there. Might be a good idea to keep your wits about you if you do.

Read & lifted this from another site: quote; Ha! After this site (reference to Nationalist Ireland) threatened they were going to contact the employers of pro life people a few got together and had a snoop, then turned the cards on the owner. He’s from West Limerick, runs a PC repair shop, has already been investigated by the guards: unquote.

It'd be nice if the site owner's I/d could be published, all in the interest of public safety, of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I've become a bit tired of hearing the word conscience in this debate. Why is it framed in such a way that somehow a politician voting with their moral or religious conscience means they therefore have more credibility in going against something? If certain people voted with their political conscience the country might be in a better state.

It has been mentioned so much I have been waiting to see an article about the use of this word as justification for anything and its universal acceptance of said view; even a few column inches actually analysing the use of it rather than just unflinching acceptance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Sarky wrote: »
    Mullen, <folks> like you will see the Seanad abolished instead of reformed.

<Snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

<Snip>

<Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've no problem with this function on the grounds of discommoding snake oil salesmen. For example if we followed the NHS example we'd be publicly funding homeopathy (and the NHS did it simply because they got sick of Brian pestering them).

Homeopathy has got nothing to do with herbal remedies, herbal remedies actually have ingredients in them :rolleyes:
    It's ludicrous that several remedies which are regarded as safe and effective in other EU countries are banned here.
    It's also ludicrous that so many pharmaceuticals which are OTC in other EU countries are prescription-only here. This all adds greatly to the costs the consumer and taxpayer has to bear.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Don't forget 'soul searching'. And yes, these words have been uttered numerous times by a few politicians. They're only short of putting their hands together and dropping to their knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Ainulindalë > Genesis all day, every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Didn't know the High Court still blocked women from travelling?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement