Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Winds of Winter (Book 6 Discussion) **SPOILERS for all books & future books**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Don't forget to read AFFC and ADWD chronologically (or roughly so), it's a pain to be hopping between one and the other, but the story flows much better that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Gonna finish what I'm currently reading and then re read the last couple in anticipation of season 4 starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

There's also the audio books as an alternative to reading, hours of entertainment.

Burst out laughing on a sleeper bus while listening to ACOK, Tyrion said something to Bronn about him turning into a true member of the court. To which Bronn replies with cold venom

"Fúck you, dwarf"

Dotrices acting really adds to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

You haven't lived until you've heard Roy Dotrice moan with pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po97Fv8KzQM&feature=youtu.be&t=33m10s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

P-Tire?

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    P-Tire?

Yeah, I thought that was a bit odd too. My best guess is that the audiobook was recorded ages ago (the book came out in 2000), and at the time there was no definitive pronunciation of Petyr. Going by a pronunciation guide I read somewhere, and the show of course I think that most people say it like 'Peter'.

NiallMH93 wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought that was a bit odd too. My best guess is that the audiobook was recorded ages ago (the book came out in 2000), and at the time there was no definitive pronunciation of Petyr. Going by a pronunciation guide I read somewhere, and the show of course I think that most people say it like 'Peter'.

Sometimes they seem to emphasise the y and sometimes not.

I think It's "Lie-sa" Arryn and Mace "Tie-rell".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Sometimes they seem to emphasise the y and sometimes not.

I think It's "Lie-sa" Arryn and Mace "Tie-rell".

Yeah, it seems to vary quite a bit with no obvious pattern, you have the '(t)ie' pronounciation in some words (Tyrell, Tyrosh, Lysa, Pyke,) while others have a single vowel pronounciation (Tyrion, Myr (Mer)) and then Lys (Leese) where the y takes on an 'ee' sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, it's not a monolinual world so I can't see why one would expect their etymology to be any different than our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Sleepy wrote: »
    Well, it's not a monolinual world so I can't see why one would expect their etymology to be any different than our own.

I wasn't suggesting that it was any different. I was just expanding on Gbear's point about the differing uses of the letter y and how the pronounciation of some words would have been open to debate before any guide was released, as with "Peter vs P-tire" above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

P-tir was how I 'pronounced' it in my head when I read the books.
    But when the series came out Peter sounded more realistic.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,202 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I pronounced it Pet-ir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I just pronounced it like I would the name peter...occam's razor and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

So, enough of this rambling... when is WoW coming out then???

Mr Velo wrote: »
    So, enough of this rambling... when is WoW coming out then???

Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Tuesday.

Damn.... why make us wait through the whole weekend? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSg_gJkU7ko&sns=em.
    Can we discuss the season 4 trailer here?

I think it looks great - presumably that's joffreys wedding feast?

I am intrigued about the very first image though. It seems like a dragon flying over a city, but the city does not look like Mereen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Finally I get to be one of those a**holes who's read all the books and isn't shy to let people know !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I am intrigued about the very first image though. It seems like a dragon flying over a city, but the city does not look like Mereen?

Looked more like Kings Landing to me, but that can't be surely.

It must be Meereen, but there aren't any pyramids in the shot.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,202 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think it was just done for the trailer to trick people into thinking there'll be lots of stuff with the dragons.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think it was just done for the trailer to trick people into thinking there'll be lots of stuff with the dragons.

Exactly what I was thinking. Didn't they do similar last year in other areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Be interesting to see how they deal with Dany in Meereen. It was a bit slow in the books and I don't think the average viewer would be particularly pleased with the intricacies of Meereenese politics.

The trailer also seems to allude to the mountains fight with the red viper. That will be awesome.

Another thing after watching it again. How the **** is Theon all cleaned up & in armour? They are hardly bringing the Bolton marraige forward are they?

Another thing after watching it again. How the **** is Theon all cleaned up & in armour? They are hardly bringing the Bolton marraige forward are they?

They must be inventing some story for him again, it's hard to know what the hell they will do with him, I didn't expect to see him tidy looking, I was expecting to see the broken lying with the dogs Reek, not Theon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

In line with the books, I don;t think Theon/Reek should have featured at all in the last series

In line with the books, I don;t think Theon/Reek should have featured at all in the last series

No they shouldn't have. Theon disappears for 2 books pretty much.

As Mr Freeze says they must be inventing a story for him again or as I said pushing other stuff forward...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,624 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Ramsey cleans Theon up on the books to get the Ironborn out of Moat Cailin so Roose can cross into the North.

Blay wrote: »
    Ramsey cleans Theon up on the books to get the Ironborn out of Moat Cailin so Roose can cross into the North.

He does, but thats ages away in book terms, they must be watering down/cutting out the Reek stuff.

Sure the same is going to happen with Brans story, they are approaching Book 5 storyline now unless they pad it with him and the Reeds just travelling to the Three Eyed Crow for the whole season.

Blay wrote: »

That's what it was. Totally forgot about that so maybe that's what it is.

He is also cleaned up for his trip up North though as far as I remember.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure that was Mereen, unless its some kind of flashback or dream. I've also heard people pointing out sightings of Sons of the Harpy and Dragon pits, hadn't expected them to tackle that this early. Also looks like Alliser Thorne will be taking the place of Donal Noye. Looks pretty bloody epic all the same!

Advertisement