Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Winds of Winter (Book 6 Discussion) **SPOILERS for all books & future books**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Ya, but it could be necessary for both characters development from that point on...

I was disgusted when I read it, he definitely shouldn't have done it.

Ah, yes, different depending on whether you're looking from Tyrions view or Martins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

You've read the books but don't watch the show? You're a rare breed!

Haha! I just got fed up with it, I think the turning point was when they had Cat release Jamie, and then find out about Bran and Rik. That and having Jon fight the Halfhand with no prelude whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Telling Jamie that lie was unnecessary, he told him just to piss him off after hearing about Tysha. Jamie didn't care much for Joffrey but I'm sure he still believed in his brothers innocence and was using as motivation behind the escape.

I don't think you can blame him.

Because we only hear a first hand account of what happened to Tysha (rather than witness it) it's a bit abstract.

But really, Jamie was complicit in lying to Tyrion about his wife actually being a whore, and, as a result, getting gangraped by dozens of men before Tyrion was forced to have a go.

It was an absolute atrocity and it destroyed Tyrion as a young man. It scarred him for life, never mind what it did to the woman Tyrion married.

He was liable to do anything when Jamie told him. Jamie should consider himself fortunate that Tyrion wasn't armed or he probably would've killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

At Comic Con George announced that Jeyne Westerling will feature in the prologue of TWOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

At Comic Con George announced that Jeyne Westerling will feature in the prologue of TWOW.

So she's dead then?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Wow, do you know anymore before I scramble around the internetz? That's a scoop potentially! Was she meant to be with the blackfish I forget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

He confirmed she's in the prologue, but not the POV. It's the POV that always dies!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Well at least we know the prologue is written anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The great Northern conspiracy seems more likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

"I'm not actually writing an episode for Season 5," Martin tells Zap2it during an interview after the show's San Diego Comic-Con 2014 panel. "As you may know, there's this book that people are kind of getting antsy about delivering. It takes me roughly a month to do an episode, so I decided, given the realities, I'd better skip this one this season and just concentrate on finishing the book."

Well thanks be to jaysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

Son0vagun wrote: »
    He confirmed she's in the prologue, but not the POV. It's the POV that always dies!

I seen on Westeros.org that George siad he might break his own POV rule!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Ger Whelan

Tyrion can't die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Ger Whelan wrote: »
    Tyrion can't die.

Ned couldn't die. He did.
    Cat/Robb couldn't die. They did.
    Oberyn couldn't die. He did.

And now that GRRM says he might change his POV rule, Tyrion most certainly can die.. (I really hope he doesn't).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

GerB40 wrote: »
    Ned couldn't die. He did.
    Cat/Robb couldn't die. They did.
    Oberyn couldn't die. He did.

And now that GRRM says he might change his POV rule, Tyrion most certainly can die.. (I really hope he doesn't).
    What's the POV rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    What's the POV rule?

The POV character in the opening chapter of each book gets killed.
    Ger Whelan wrote: »
    Tyrion can't die.

I always felt no character is safe after Ned's death, I didn't know Tyrion was GRRMs favourite until after I had the books, and I was sure he was gonna die in book 3 and a few times in book 5 (lions or the plague).

I thought it would have been some end to him to have him die in someone else's POV with only us readers knowing who he is.

Didn't GRRM say his wife told him she'd leave him if he killed Tyrion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Didn't GRRM say his wife told him she'd leave him if he killed Tyrion?
    That was Arya, his wife's favourite character.

Tyrion is GRRM's favourite, so I believe his neck is safe until the final book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    The POV character in the opening chapter of each book gets killed.
    Thanks. I never noticed that!

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/37792/20140916/winds-of-winter-release-date.htm

We've heard it all before but is there any reason to get our hopes up??

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/37792/20140916/winds-of-winter-release-date.htm

Sounds plausible.

Launch the book the same time as the new series airs.

Think they did the same with A Dance of Dragons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The date sounds plausible enough but it's pure, idle speculation.

GRRM has always held that the first place you'll hear the book is finished will be on his blog... then a release date will follow once his editors get done with it.

I'm afraid to get my hopes up. I was doing a search during the week and everything I found seemed to indicate a 2016 release.

Email from Amazon with the title:

George R. R. Martin's New Book

Dangerous Women 1
    George R. R. Martin

Mass Market Paperback: $7.19

Learn More

Commissioned by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, these tales of dangerous women by the most stellar names in fiction are available for the first time in three-volume paperback. George R.R. Martin is the bestselling author of A Song of Ice and Fire, the inspiration for HBO's hit series Game of ... Read More

ugh, not what I was hoping for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://grrm.livejournal.com/395189.html

Update from Matin's site that is really not an update.

" Look, I've said before, and I will say again, I don't play games with news about the books. I know how many people are waiting, how long they have been waiting, how anxious they are. I am still working on WINDS. When it's done, I will announce it here. There won't be any clues to decipher, any codes or hidden meanings, the announcement will be straightforward and to the point. I won't time it to coincide with Xmas or Valentine's Day or Lincoln's Birthday, the book will not rise from the dead with Jesus on Easter Sunday. When it is done, I will say that's it is done, on whatever day I happen to finish."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did he say anything in 2014 about a possible release date? Its impossible to Google it because of all the blogspam.

Thargor wrote: »
    Did he say anything in 2014 about a possible release date? Its impossible to Google it because of all the blogspam.

He did some twelve days of Westeros tweets, then came out later to say, explicitly, they were not in any sense a cryptic message about release dates. When he knows, he'll tell us. The cynic in us might say if he spent more time wiring the book instead of these "fun" tweets, he wouldn't have to tweet these retractions in the first place, but maybe I'm just growing impatient, and honestly, concerned that the show will over take the books at the rate they are being written, if indeed they ever even get finished. I'm, personally, not a fan of the show. It dismisses a lot of the scope and subtleties of the books at the expense of tits and gore.

More info here:
    http://m.christianpost.com/news/winds-of-winter-news-george-r-r-martin-takes-to-his-blog-to-clarify-books-rumored-release-date--131270/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Losing a lot of interest in this series to be honest. Was an avid reader of the forums/subreddit a few month ago but the lack of news is getting a bit ridiculous at this stage. AWOIAF really was the icing on the cake. I was fully accepting of the argument that GRRM is getting older and as a result wants to spend his time with family/friends/doing other things, but if he has time to write fodder like that (yes I've read it) then there really is no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

He did some twelve days of Westeros tweets, then came out later to say, explicitly, they were not in any sense a cryptic message about release dates. When he knows, he'll tell us. The cynic in us might say if he spent more time wiring the book instead of these "fun" tweets, he wouldn't have to tweet these retractions in the first place, but maybe I'm just growing impatient, and honestly, concerned that the show will over take the books at the rate they are being written, if indeed they ever even get finished. I'm, personally, not a fan of the show. It dismisses a lot of the scope and subtleties of the books at the expense of tits and gore.

More info here:
    http://m.christianpost.com/news/winds-of-winter-news-george-r-r-martin-takes-to-his-blog-to-clarify-books-rumored-release-date--131270/

He had nothing to do with the tweets, he has official Twitter and Facebook accounts because of all the people claiming to be him, so the tweets were either the work of his publisher or HBO. The blog on his website is the only place he writes on the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

I'm really getting wound up waiting for Winds of Winter to even get a release date.

Martin spends enough time telling us all about these projects he has coming out or is involved in, all these little trips he goes on and yet doesn't say a word about WoW to all the fans waiting for a book that has been years in the making while the latest season of GoT looms over their shoulder, where it is guaranteed to move into WoW territory.

It's absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement

John Mongo wrote: »
    I'm really getting wound up waiting for Winds of Winter to even get a release date.

Martin spends enough time telling us all about these projects he has coming out or is involved in, all these little trips he goes on and yet doesn't say a word about WoW to all the fans waiting for a book that has been years in the making while the latest season of GoT looms over their shoulder, where it is guaranteed to move into WoW territory.

It's absolute nonsense.

"Art isn't a democracy and should never be a democracy"-George RR Martin. He's the dictator over his work and no matter how much it annoys us, it's just the way it is...

Advertisement