Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Shower developing between Maynooth and Leixlip... first bit of rain I've seen in weeks...I've a feeling sparks will happen ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Looks like something heavy on the east Roscommon border

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

gone overcast in Dublin city center and humidity has rocketed with it. could something be brewing?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Something has to happen here?

263655.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

dloob wrote: »
    Looks like something heavy on the east Roscommon border

Yeah a heavy shower building near Carrick-On-Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Something has to happen here?

Was just going to say the same thing ..this has sprung up in the last half hour

263661.JPG

fairly hefty showers in that ...must be a thunderstorm

• Registered Users Posts: 39 driveshaft

Sitting in middle of it right now. A heavy shower with a rattle of thunder every minute or so. Was halfway through mowing the lawn....

Would I be right thinking that it formed over Lough Boderg?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

It looks to be coming my way, I'd swear I heard a small rumble about 10 mins ago, temperature dropping slowly. Hope it doesn't miss me I need the water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

peasant wrote: »
    Was just going to say the same thing ..this has sprung up in the last half hour

263661.JPG

fairly hefty showers in that ...must be a thunderstorm

Eldingar says yes!

Yes, it's producing lightning now, sferics reported.

See what did I tell ya, thunderstorm in the northwest. Just started a little late. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

It looks to be coming my way, I'd swear I heard a small rumble about 10 mins ago, temperature dropping slowly. Hope it doesn't miss me I need the water!

I hope you have a camera ready! :D

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I hope you have a camera ready! :D

yep I have, torrential rain at the mo, lovely:D

edit: rain stopped now, can hear thunder to the east of me

• Registered Users Posts: 17 oi softlad

any chance of lightning in galway city do ye reckon lads!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well the sky over Galway Bay is gone very black so there could be a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Theoretically I am / was right under this and should have seen some real action ...

263672.JPG

in practice all we got (so far) was just enough heavy raindrops to turn the thick layer of dust on the car into muck ...nothing else, no thunder, no lightning.

Well it did look better on radar than on the ground, got a good heavy shower out of it and collected 150 litres in an IBC off the back of the house so I'm happy.

Aannnnddd Shannon is down... FFS!
    My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Aannnnddd Shannon is down... FFS!

Hit by lightning sure ;)
    Sky is clouding over here

km79 wrote: »
    Hit by lightning sure ;)
    Sky is clouding over here

If only. They might actually replace it then!

Shannon isn't down, their feed is going into the displays on Raintoday and Netweather etc.

• Advertisement

Shannon isn't down, their feed is going into the displays on Raintoday and Netweather etc.

Problem must be on the Met Eireann website so. Not much happening anyway by the looks of it.
    It's the easiest one for me to access at the moment so I didn't try the others, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

That shower looks to be headed in my general direction, the HiRLAM chart I posted earlier had the heaviest precip right where I am so keeping a close eye on things and hoping it doesn't fall apart. 23C and very humid at the moment with that hazy 'thundery' type of sky, still plenty of heat around to keep it fed

Harps wrote: »
    That shower looks to be headed in my general direction, the HiRLAM chart I posted earlier had the heaviest precip right where I am so keeping a close eye on things and hoping it doesn't fall apart. 23C and very humid at the moment with that hazy 'thundery' type of sky, still plenty of heat around to keep it fed

Looks like it should be passing right over Killybegs now.

Looks like it should be passing right over Killybegs now.

Looks like the part that was headed for me has weakened, the active cell is on course to move out to sea but its changing on every radar update so staying hopeful

Hard to believe anything is on the way at the moment, its totally calm with little to no cloud movement. Still plenty of people on the beach who could be in for a bit of a surprise

Looks like the part that was headed for me has weakened, the active cell is on course to move out to sea but its changing on every radar update so staying hopeful

Hard to believe anything is on the way at the moment, its totally calm with little to no cloud movement. Still plenty of people on the beach who could be in for a bit of a surprise

That cell really fired on the 19:30 update when it reached the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Says its raining here, its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭highdef

Mech1 wrote: »
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Says its raining here, its not.

Ditto - actually, it shows that it has just cleared. I think it may have evaporated before it got to the ground

highdef wrote: »
    Ditto - actually, it shows that it has just cleared. I think it may have evaporated before it got to the ground

Yep, thats probably the case.

Looks to be headed out to sea, bit of a waste. I can actually see that area if I drive just 5 minutes away but I'm tied up for the next hour so no luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Looks to be headed out to sea, bit of a waste. I can actually see that area if I drive just 5 minutes away but I'm tied up for the next hour so no luck

Rain here in Rossnowlagh. Incredibly hot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement