Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Us Dubs have a shield for these northerly moving chaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

vickers209 wrote: »
    Wicklow maybe?? Or will it die as it heads overland
    Probably,Looks like it,if it holds it together.
    Probably no sferics by then just rain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

A good clear patch over The SE atm and i would imagine the temps would be much warmer then earlier, so maybe that could give it a boost!

up to 25c here now with good sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

3 strikes in the past 20 minutes, 0 in the last 10 minutes...

If only conditions were a bit better. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I need sum kind of pay off for this heat. A good oul fashioned thunder storm would do me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

First of the showers about the make landfall in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭atsbury

rc28 wrote: »
    First of the showers about the make landfall in Wexford.

Beginning to cloud over here in Wexford now.

No lightning in the past 20 minutes.

It's fizzling out but producing some lightning again as it nears the coast.

Sunny in Arklow,but looking on the south horizon,cloud tops can be seen.
    This is the usual direction we get our thunder imports.
    I'll update in about 2hrs.

• Advertisement

just to update,I can see the first shower,in the distance now.
    I've emailed a pic of one of the cloud top edges to taken around 7pm,the baby is much closer now though.
    If they see it in the next while I've asked them to edit it into this post.

Cell has practically lost all convective characteristics now, as usual in this country!

pad199207 wrote: »
    Cell has practically lost all convective characteristics now, as usual in this country!

not surprised looking at it from here,I can only see the first little one,but we'll see if it gets here

pad199207 wrote: »

In fairness though conditions really weren't favorable there at all today, I'm surprised it even did as well as it did. Things look like improving from tomorrow onwards, not looking as good they were a few days ago and not as good as the UK will get - but we'll take what we can get!

Latest UK Met Office Aviation charts gives us Showers and CB clouds tonight over Ireland. Cant post the pic here

Noticing some new convection getting going off Cork heading NE, at this stage now its really knit picking!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ugh, all those lightening strikes off the coast :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The Norwegian model has those showers intensifying again later this evening and tonight, doesn't look like anything too intense but there might be something to play for yet

9zlk.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Just looking at the radar from met.ie and it shows some clouds moving in over sw wexford where I am ,and looking out the window facing south the sky is a real dark black grey colour.
    Havent seen any lightening but it looks like it should produce some sparks.
    Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

BPuVd3oCMAATLdh.jpg:large

What is the name of that cloud?
    Hope the pic isn't too big...it was taken when I had hope for some rain/lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Some impressive cells in Northern France at the moment, interesting to see if they can survive the Channel crossing

1egt.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Bejubby wrote: »
    Just looking at the radar from met.ie and it shows some clouds moving in over sw wexford where I am ,and looking out the window facing south the sky is a real dark black grey colour.
    Havent seen any lightening but it looks like it should produce some sparks.
    Fingers crossed!

Im in south Kilkenny and the southern sky looks dark and threatening. it was that sky made me check in here to see if any lightning had started anywhere.
    Nothing here.
    AM/LW radio is full of static though.

torrentum wrote: »
    Im in south Kilkenny and the southern sky looks dark and threatening. it was that sky made me check in here to see if any lightning had started anywhere.
    Nothing here.
    AM/LW radio is full of static though.

Now that you mention static the baby monitor is getting some interference but no strikes.
    It has started raining though.

Raining big drops here in Arklow now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing here during a heavy shower, I can only reckon the drops are bouncing off the lawns.

Bejubby wrote: »
    Now that you mention static the baby monitor is getting some interference but no strikes.
    It has started raining though.

The nearest strikes to us at the moment are in the English Channel. Nothing happened around Ireland right now.

The nearest strikes to us at the moment are in the English Channel. Nothing happened around Ireland right now.

I know that ye,the static im getting on the monitor is just normal radio interference.
    Clouds here now have broken up and its stopped raining.
    Theres a lovely smell of wet oozing from the ground now and its lovely:)

This can change, but at the moment we should see some thunderstorms kicking off tomorrow afternoon especially in northwestern areas.

ukcapeli.png

Then on Tuesday more widespread storms but the western half of the country probably most at risk.

ukcapeli.png

Not as much energy or instability shown as the storms in the UK and France will have, but we saw this morning a big storm sitting off the southwest coast for hours that was putting out hundreds of strikes per hour with fairly modest CAPE and LI values, so you never know, we could get some severe ones in the days ahead.

Wednesday might be interesting too but things change more the further ahead you look so no point looking at that yet.

Estofex forecast for 6am Monday - 6am Tuesday has parts of Ireland under a Level 1.

ReCEH9A.png

Just highlighting the parts from the discussion that apply to us :
    Initiation will occur within numerous time frames. First, showers and thunderstorms probably evolve over Ireland and UK before noon. This activity is forecast to grow upscale during the afternoon hours and numerous northward moving thunderstorm clusters affect Ireland, UK and Scotland.
    Once again, a similar severe risk (large hail, strong wind gusts and heavy to excesive rainfall amounts) is forecast with the widespread overnight activity within the complete level 1 area. Stronger shear might support a few well organized multicells, which continue until 06Z while drifting to the NE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

How are things looking for today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement