Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cymru Lions v Wallabies, 3rd Test Match Thread, Sat July 6, 1100am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Tox56 wrote: »
    Which has no relevance to what he said

image_zpsa8a850cc.jpg .......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I think the Australians will win, because the selection from a Lions POV has made it very clear that they won't be changing tact.

A Lions win would have to rely on Corbs and Jones having a field day or a bit of individual brilliance from North/Bowe/Manu T

This will be no tactical masterclass from Gatland anyway

Whatever about Davies, the most undeserving Lion on that team has 9 on his back. I'm amazed nothing more has been made about Phillip's selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

The Aussie wrote: »
    Wander over to AH and get back to us...

Why? What relevance does that have to Australian rednecks?

Why? What relevance does that have?

ECHO ECHO ECHO ECHO

Read the previous post, it went something like image_zpsa8a850cc.jpg

Nice re-edit...

Whatever about Davies, the most undeserving Lion on that team has 9 on his back. I'm amazed nothing more has been made about Phillip's selection

Murray did more in 20min or so in the second test than Phillips did in the whole of the first, we are talking about Warren Logic here so nothing surprises much anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

The Aussie wrote: »
    ECHO ECHO ECHO ECHO

Read the previous post, it went something like image_zpsa8a850cc.jpg

Nice re-edit...

g1372969680957743960.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

the most undeserving Lion on that team has 9 on his back. I'm amazed nothing more has been made about Phillip's selection

why do ya think BOD got dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

For me there is plenty of sense in the Phillips selection. I have no issues with any of the selections really apart from Davies and that useless Scottish prat on the bench.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For me there is plenty of sense in the Phillips selection.

I'd see plenty of sense in it if he was playing well, but based on the first test he isn't. He was actually awful.

Ironically, every argument you can make for Phillips (experience, big game temperament etc) apply all the more to BOD and most arguments for Davies (proven partnership, "better form") apply for Murray...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

sheeper wrote: »
    Just off to buy an oz jersey now ! If you ask me any irish man that plays the match should be tarred and feathered ! Gatland and his 10 man team will hopfully get hammered and the Ozzie will show them no mercy !!!!!

Come on the ozzies !!!!!!

pramthrow.gif

Lads I know it is a bitter pill to swallow but shouting for Australia because one of our players was dropped is pathetic..

It is starting to become like FAI demanding a replay with France for WC'10 qualifer- just cringeworthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

I`ll be cheering for the aussies. Couldn`t give a toss about the Lions its a dead concept to me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

h2005 wrote: »
    I`ll be cheering for the aussies. Couldn`t give a toss about the Lions its a dead concept to me now.

The QANTAS Wallabie (tm) are hardly the most noble of sporting causes either now in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Rumours of a Tuilagi injury. BOD in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

BNMC wrote: »
    Rumours of a Tuilagi injury. BOD in?

Rumors that the rumor is only a rumor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Superbus wrote: »
    The QANTAS Wallabie (tm) are hardly the most noble of sporting causes either now in fairness.

No but they`re not coached by Gatland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

sheeper wrote: »
    Just off to buy an oz jersey now ! If you ask me any irish man that plays the match should be tarred and feathered ! Gatland and his 10 man team will hopfully get hammered and the Ozzie will show them no mercy !!!!!

Come on the ozzies !!!!!!

This is ridiculous. If Ireland were playing England in a gland slam decider and someone like POC/BOD/Sexton got dropped would you support England?? Someone managers make terrible decisions but to stop supporting your team because of one selection is utter non-sense.

The Irish Times summed up people like you;
    The squeals of high dudgeon since Wednesday have crystallised for everybody what watching a Lions series is really all about. And more to the point, what it really isn’t all about. It proved conclusively that the Lions don’t have supporters. The Lions have an audience

Go off and buy any Oz jersey with an attitude like that.

Just curious with the exception of No.13 what team would you pick? There is not a whole lot of arguement for everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

GiftofGab wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. If Ireland were playing England in a gland slam decider and someone like POC/BOD/Sexton got dropped would you support England?? Someone managers make terrible decisions but to stop supporting your team because of one selection is utter non-sense.

The Irish Times summed up people like you;

Go off and buy any Oz jersey with an attitude like that.

Just curious with the exception of No.13 what team would you pick? There is not a whole lot of arguement for everybody else.

I agree it's incredibly bad taste to support Australia just because BOD was dropped, but that article argued for the Lions being a spectacle. (unless I'm reading it wrong, which is entirely possible):

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/gatland-s-dricectomy-matters-the-lions-winning-doesn-t-1.1453007?page=3
    But Gatland’s abrupt Dricectomy this week asked everybody some straight-forward questions. Do you actually give a toss about the Lions winning or losing? Do you only care about the part of the Lions you’re already emotionally attached to? Or, when brass comes to tacks, do you see it as a bit of harmless diversion to be enjoyed for 240 minutes of action every four years and instantly forgotten thereafter?

Door Number Three, please. Every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,059 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That article in the IT sums up how some people feel about the Lions, but it wrongly applies this attitude to everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

Neil3030 wrote: »
    That article in the IT sums up how some people feel about the Lions, but it wrongly applies this attitude to everyone.

Applies to the majority, maybe not as much to the hardcore rugby supporter but you can't argue that the country cares about the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,059 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

JagerScout wrote: »
    Applies to the majority, maybe not as much to the hardcore rugby supporter but you can't argue that the country cares about the Lions.

Applies to the majority of what, though? I mean, the majority of "the country" probably doesn't even care about rugby, or even sport for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

It's a carbon copy of what Tom Humpries was writing in the Irish Times years ago.

Nothing new or great about it, basically some either love it or are non-plus about it..blah blah blah etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Applies to the majority of what, though? I mean, the majority of "the country" probably doesn't even care about rugby, or even sport for that matter.

true ..like every Tom, Dick & Harry suddenly had an opinion about Saipan. House wives were outraged on the Joe Duffy show:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Many of those who will tune in to tomorrow's final Test will be 'hard core' rugby fans.
    People who have watched the programes that accompany these Tour matches and show previous Lions matches, notable games & performances. To these people I do not have to explain who the following people are ;

McBride, Johnson, JPR, Woods, Edwards, Hastings, O'Gara, Bennett, Calder, Slattery, Williams, Wallace, John, Bentley, Cotton .....and many more.

One name from this tour has earned his place with these men.
    One man from this tour deserves to be spoken of as these men are spoken of.

He will not play tomorrow, or ever again in a red shirt.
    He is a Lion & will always be a Lion.

Gatland is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

For Paws wrote: »

Gatland is nothing.

Only if the Lions lose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Some great words from Tim Horan

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/o-driscoll-still-a-centre-of-excellence-horan-1.1453980?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
    Fox Sports Australia rugby analyst and former Wallaby legend Tim Horan is the latest to add his voice to the Brian O’Driscoll debate suggesting that Lions coach Warren Gatland erred in dropping the Irish centre.
    Horan, who was a young O’Driscoll’s favourite player, wrote on the Australian network’s website: “Brian O’Driscoll should not only be in the Lions side for Saturday night’s (stet) decider, he should be leading the team onto the field as captain. This isn’t based on sentiment.
    “You have to pick your best players, and Brian’s form has been pretty good on tour. He’s looked sharp in the last two Test matches with limited opportunities and there is no better big-game player in the Lions team who can perform on this stage. There is no one as good as O’Driscoll in world rugby in reading the play and game management.
    “Ice hockey legend Wayne Gretzy once said he “skates to where the puck is going to be”, and Brian is like that in rugby terms. He studies a game like no other and anticipates what the play will be in two or three phases, and puts himself in position. His defence has been outstanding on tour - I don’t think he’s missed a tackle in two Tests.
    “It has been said Brian’s leadership alone should see him the in team but on these tours, it’s form first, leadership second. And his form should have warranted selection. At this level of the game, if you have a team with a game-plan and effective system, the leadership is a huge priority.
    “If a team is picked on form, you give yourself the best chance of winning. In attack, he hasn’t been exceptional but forget talk that his best attacking days are past. There was one particular play in Brisbane in the first half that was world class. It wasn’t a run or tackle, but just the timing of a particular pass to demonstrate he still has it at this level.
    “I would still have included Jamie Roberts, but partnered him with O’Driscoll, not Jonathan Davies. Behind closed doors, I am sure the omission would be deeply disappointing for Brian. He was desperate to win a Lions series at his fourth attempt.
    “If the Lions get up, he will still be part of a wining squad but it’s always difficult to feel that as keenly when you’re not in the match-day squad. What you can be sure of is, despite his disappointment, Brian will be doing absolutely anything he can to help the Lions win this Test: whether it be running water, offering advice or general words of support. That’s the sort of man he is.
    The sting of this will subside, and I am sure he will know one missed Test will not even go close to defining his 133-Test career or his superb legacy in rugby. If they do lift the Tom Richards Cup, he would have been largely responsible for it.
    Gatland has rolled the dice and returned to the Welsh formula. It’s a bit like taking your own Webber barbecue over to a mates place. He’s saying: “Ok, I am going to stick with what I know. It looks a stronger team, overall, than the first and second Tests, other than in the second row.
    “Having played against Brian in his first two Test matches in 1999, I am sure he still has a few left in him for Ireland over the next eight months until he retires. This is not the end for one of the game’s great centres.”

I think the emboldened part is the most important thing to remember at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sheeper

Plane and simple
    Gatland it only looking after his welsh job, 10 welsh men picked and some of them not deserving of their place ! When did Wales last beat oz ? Think its something like 2 time since 1987 in half ass autum international.
    BOD has been a loyal servant to Ireland (who got rid of Gatland !) The lions and rugby ,he is a role modle for the game and is still prob the best centre in the game and it is a bad bad day for rugby!

I reckon oz will put 20 points on them at the weekend and when it happens Gatland can go back to Wales with his head hanging ! Never to coach the Lions again
    But at least that's something good I can take for the whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

It’s a bit like taking your own Webber barbecue over to a mates place.

I love this line from Tim Horan. Imagine ringing on the doorbell......

...hey mate, I brought my own one because your barbecue is sh*t ......you dont mind do ya......

Gatland has a game plan and BOD doesnt fit in it.

He is not being dropped for poor form, and it is not a slight to the guy. He is being dropped because he is not over 6ft.

Thats all it is. People are taking this far too personally. Nobody is entitled to fairy tale endings. If they happen well and good, but life usually doesnt run that way. In no way would I feel sorry for O'Driscoll, he has had a fantastic career. Roll on Sean O'Brien and Johnny Sexton, show us what ye can do. Roll on George North too. I think the Lions will win tomorrow, and if they do then Gatland deserves credit for how he has shaped the team. If they dont, he will deserve the criticism.

Gatland is picking the team he believes will win. He picks the team, nobody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Gatland has a game plan and BOD doesnt fit in it.

He is not being dropped for poor form, and it is not a slight to the guy. He is being dropped because he is not over 6ft.

Thats all it is. People are taking this far too personally. Nobody is entitled to fairy tale endings. If they happen well and good, but life usually doesnt run that way. In no way would I feel sorry for O'Driscoll, he has had a fantastic career. Roll on Sean O'Brien and Johnny Sexton, show us what ye can do. Roll on George North too. I think the Lions will win tomorrow, and if they do then Gatland deserves credit for how he has shaped the team. If they dont, he will deserve the criticism.

Gatland is picking the team he believes will win. He picks the team, nobody else.

I think they'll lose.

Irregardless of the result, he'll deserve criticism imo. He'll deserve it for disregarding a tradition whereby the best of four countries come together and a system is created for the best 15. Gatland decided to find the 15 that best suit his pre determined system, meaning that no matter what certain players did they would never be in test contention.

This is without mentioning that his system is totally based on destructive play, based on restricting Australia and taking three pointers rather than utilising the best talents at the disposal of the Lions. For a system that effectively tells Johnny Sexton, one of the most talented number 10s in world rugby, now go out there and kick the ball as high and as long as you can Johnny.

He deserves it for taking a year off, coming back and saying Ah sure we'll just go with the Welsh gameplan and take a few player upgrades. What the hell did he need a sabbatical for?

• Advertisement

AngeGal wrote: »
    I think they'll lose.

Irregardless of the result, he'll deserve criticism imo. He'll deserve it for disregarding a tradition whereby the best of four countries come together and a system is created for the best 15. Gatland decided to find the 15 that best suit his pre determined system, meaning that no matter what certain players did they would never be in test contention.

This is without mentioning that his system is totally based on destructive play, based on restricting Australia and taking three pointers rather than utilising the best talents at the disposal of the Lions. For a system that effectively tells Johnny Sexton, one of the most talented number 10s in world rugby, now go out there and kick the ball as high and as long as you can Johnny.

He deserves it for taking a year off, coming back and saying Ah sure we'll just go with the Welsh gameplan and take a few player upgrades. What the hell did he need a sabbatical for?

It appears to me (and I would be someone who has never played rugby, but I dont think that I am alone in that on this thread)....

....that he has a system.

His system is crash bang wallop. And a good goal kicker.

He has picked a team around that system.

If he doesnt use this system, then he has no Plan B.

Thats him as a coach.

He was picked as a coach to do this job. If people had a problem with his system, then that was the time to say it. Not the week before the deciding test.

That system was in place long ago, and if Jamie Roberts hadnt been injured, then the likelihood is BOD would not have started the first two tests, and there wouldnt be this hoohaw about the ethos of the Lions.

Advertisement