Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cymru Lions v Wallabies, 3rd Test Match Thread, Sat July 6, 1100am

Options
  • 03-07-2013 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭

Date: Saturday, July 6
    Venue: ANZ Stadium
    Kick-off: 20.00 Sydney (11.00 Ireland)
    Referee: Romain Poite (France) :eek:
    Assistant referees: Chris Pollock (New Zealand), Craig Joubert (South Africa)

B&I LIONS: 15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Jamie Roberts, 11 George North, 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Mike Phillips, 8 Toby Faletau, 7 the Tullow Tank, 6 Dan Lydiate, 5 Geoff Parling, 4 Alun Wyn Jones (c), 3 Adam Jones, 2 Richard Hibbard, 1 Alex Corbisiero.

Replacements: 16 Tom Youngs, Mako Vunipola, 18 Dan Cole, 19 irishbucsfan, 20 Justin Tipuric, 21 Conor Murray, 22 Owen Farrell, 23 Manu Tuilagi

WALLABIES: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Israel Folau, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Christian Lealiifano, 11 Joe Tomane, 10 Justin Bieber, 9 Will Genia, 8 Wycliff Palu, 7 George Smith, 6 Ben Mowen, 5 Kane Douglas, 4 Big Kev, 3 Ben Alexander, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 Benn Robinson

Replacements: 16 Saia Faingaa, 17 James Slippper, 18 Sekope Kepu, 19 Rob Simmons, 20 Ben McCalman, 21 Michael Hooper, 22 Nick Phipps, 23 Jesse Mogg

When danthefan – correctly it turned out – predicted Wales would contribute 10 players to the starting XV for Saturday’s test decider, little did we expect to awake to the news that one of those to make way would be Irish legend Brian O’Driscoll. In what should have been a fitting final Lions test match for BOD, Gatland dropped his bombshell, and we all awoke to the resignation of supporting Wales Plus in Warren’s bid for Lions glory. At least if the Lions play more of the turgid footie from last weekend, it won’t be Brian’s fault.

International football is no place for sentiment, but I still find the decision baffling. Granted Father Time has caught up somewhat with the Clontarf man, and he’s not quite the player of yesteryear, but a cool head, over 100 test caps, and the respect of fellow players and fans alike struck me as the kind of qualities needed for the white hot battle of a deciding encounter, where the top 2 inches really do matter.

There will be ample discussion on the forum about the B&I Lions team, so I’ll start by previewing Australia. Deans has made just the one change to the starting XV, bringing in the only remaining survivor from 2001, George Smith. Smith had been in irrepressible form for the Brumbies prior to injury, and with Warburton winning the battle of the breakdown last week, this seems an excellent choice.

It is more on the bench where questions could be asked. Despite the carnage in Test 1, Deans has selected only 2 backline reserves. Maybe Hooper is a closet 12 after all. Wallaby supporters are not that enamoured of Simmons & McCalman (he of RWC 2011 anonymity), and there were calls for Hugh McMeniman and Peter Kimlin.

For the Lions, Gatland has arguably strengthened the power of the pack, but SOB’s deserved promotion to the starting line-up is all rather overshadowed by changes elsewhere. Corbisiero is a very welcome return to the scrum where Vunipola remains suspect, and Faletau gets a deserved chance to provide some go-forward. In the backs, Phillips & Roberts return.

In terms of where this game might go - scrum is one area where the Lions may still feel they have the ascendancy, particularly with the return of Corbisiero, but otherwise it’s not hard to feel Deans has played his cards better: he has a settled line-up, a Captain Fantastic in Horwill and a team willing to get one back for Big Kev, home advantage, momentum, and Will Genia. The Lions are no longer playing to send BOD out on a high, and have chopped & changed the team again. If the game does descend into scrum penalties and Halfpenny’s kicking, or if the bench becomes important, especially because of early injury, the Lions could well win, but I think it’s not unreasonable to install Australia as favourites.

A final note on Romain Poite, who brings a sort of eccentric French flair to his referring, which sometimes goes awry. Hopefully he is consistent tomorrow, and the series isn't decided by a poor decision, admittedly less likely these days with the extended use of the video ref.

Let's hope that the final game of this tour - which has generated so much debate over the last few months on the forum - is a fitting finale to the series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lions lose a leader, Australia gain one in Horwill.

This Lions series has been in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. Let's hope the last game is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

If the Lions suffer injuries from 10-15, it could end up looking a very makeshift unit. But given the way they have been utilised i'm not sure it will make any difference to how the backline attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

What odds on having Phillips and Murray on the pitch at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Love the title :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its a shame about Captain Warburton. The weak spots in the team are at 1, 5, 7, 10 and 14. It's a disgrace that Shane Williams does not make the bench. After all he has given at 6N and Lions level, this is not how a Great should be treated. The point of a Lions tour has been lost on Warren Gatland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

a throwback to the not so distant past , of struglling and cringing watching Ireland labour under Kidney, wanting them to do well , but kind of knowing things had to get worse, in order to get better , I'll be watching but with little passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Cmon now. SOB line break from the halfway to the 22, regather possession, out to Sexton for a crossfield to Tommy Booooooooooooowe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Cmon now. SOB line break from the halfway to the 22, regather possession, out to Sexton for a crossfield to Tommy Booooooooooooowe

You're assuming there that Philips will either 1) pass the ball to JS or 2) pass the ball quickly to JS. Perhaps.

For me, apart from the abysmal use made of what ball has been won by the Lions in the 2 tests, the key has been Genia's performances. I re-watched last weekend's game, and he was under no pressure whatsoever for almost the entire match. He was tackled for the first time (late) in the 73rd minute by Lydiate and for the second time a few minutes later by Warbs. The guy has the freedom to direct play exactly as he wishes, and he does it particularly well, even if most of his little pop passes are forward. The Lions simply have to get to him and make his life a little less comfortable.

I'm not even going to comment on the idiocy of the Drico non-selection, or that this is in some way the 'form' selection, given Philips over Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Not that I agree with what gatland has done, but this is what I hate about the lions. Petty bickering about team selections from all supporters. Fans can't seem to actually get behind the idea of a united team, the whole tour becomes more about getting as many players as possible from your own country in the test team. This isn't just about bod being dropped, it happens every tour. The mass hysteria this decision has caused has just been a bit much for me. I'm not sure I see the point in the lions anymore. A divided team and fans who nearly always get beaten.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

am994367.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Wow, where to start? In what should have been a fitting final Lions test match for Irish legend Brian O’Driscoll, Gatland dropped his bombshell, and we all awoke to the resignation of supporting Wales Plus in Warren’s bid for Lions glory. At least if the Lions play more of the turgid footie from last weekend, it won’t be Brian’s fault.

Slight generalisation there. I'm sure there are many reading this who will not be resigned to that at all and - whether they'll admit it or not - are just waiting in hope of the opportunity to give Gatland a good kicking if the Lions lose on Saturday. Don't think I blame them for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

CROFT DROPPED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

Not that I agree with what gatland has done, but this is what I hate about the lions. Petty bickering about team selections from all supporters. Fans can't seem to actually get behind the idea of a united team, the whole tour becomes more about getting as many players as possible from your own country in the test team. This isn't just about bod being dropped, it happens every tour. The mass hysteria this decision has caused has just been a bit much for me. I'm not sure I see the point in the lions anymore. A divided team and fans who nearly always get beaten.

i tend to agree.Whole point of lions is about unity supposedly and all fans uniting behind the one team from the four nations. The fact there is so much argument,the fact that there are plenty of people who say they will be supporting the aussies just so gatland can be left with egg on his face etc kind of makes the whole concept of the lions pointless. I guess in future there has to be a more independent coach who isnt currently involved or so heavily connected with one country-what was nick mallett up to this summer for example? Then people would feel a more independent selection was taking place and perhaps there would be less argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Prediction Wallabies 31 v Lions 23 & this will all be forgotten come November Series :D

No BOD No Victory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Would have been 12 with Gethin Jenkins and Warburton available. Although you could say that with O'Connell and Healy fit there would have been 2 more Irish starters. Who knows if Ferris was fit he might well have got a start too.

Some of the press reaction in England does ignore the heavily English biased sides of the past, am sure we have had Lions sides with 10+ English players in big tests before. The Scots have their noses out of joint that Gray hasn't been given a shot also. Wyn Jones is a fairly underwhelming captain for such a big game, his performances have been to his level if you ask me, he is not world class, neither is Parling.

Anyway, the best thing to come out of this will be a cracking Six Nations clash between Ireland and Wales this year, ...England and Scotland will be very motivated to prove a point also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Gatland's selection has overshadowed a fairly big call by Deans to first of all send Hooper to the bench and drop Gill from the team after making great impressions last week for George Smith, and also having only 2 backs on the bench, both of which are only good at 1 position. If AAC goes down for Australia, there will be a hell of a lot of shuffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

In the furore over the single stupidest decision ever made,many people seem to have missed that Gatland has put Gray on the bench.In the last 20 minutes,where Gatland's gameplan will involve Wales+ defending a lead,he's going to bring on the worst second row on tour,a player that is unable to ruck effectively.It's madness

Australia to win this by a bit and it's all Gatland deserves.

Also,Hibbard starting is madness.The extra strength he'll bring to the scrum will be counteracted by his laziness around the park.He offers nothing in the loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

matthew8 wrote: »
    Gatland's selection has overshadowed a fairly big call by Deans to first of all send Hooper to the bench and drop Gill from the team after making great impressions last week for George Smith, and also having only 2 backs on the bench, both of which are only good at 1 position. If AAC goes down for Australia, there will be a hell of a lot of shuffling.

In fairness I can see some sense in that, they're gambling slightly on the fact that they'll only have to make one outside back switch.

All of Folau, Beale, JOC, AAC can play more than one, and in some cases 2-3 positions.

Having Mcalman and Hooper to come on is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Smith will push the Australians that inch closer to what they've trying to achieve. I can see them playing some lovely rugby on Saturday. Hopefully. Another snore-fest like last Saturday would ruin what should be an exciting tour that only happens every 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Probably childish on my behalf but I hope the Aussies hammer them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Tactically Gatland has shown his hand because I believe this is what he wanted since the beginning ... only HIS Welsh side can win ... he wanted to play with 15 Welsh if he possible could. ALl in total denial of the beating by Ireland not so long ago.

If the Lions win, he will escape the criticism despite the shameful treatment of BOD. If the Lions lose, which I really believe they will, sadly, it will make the whole Lions project a laughing stock for a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Scrumtime: 60/40 in favour of Oz
    Lineouts: 60/40 in favour of Oz
    Breakdown: 75/25 in favour of Oz. Inclusion of Smith combined with the exclusion of Warburton, Heaslip & BOD. Quick ball from Genia up against Phillips to boot.
    Goalkicking: 50/50.

Sexton is capable of steering the Lions better than JOC of Oz but I fear JOC won't need to steer and Oz throwing the ball around at the backs could be lethal.

Not a drop of rain between now and then with the temerature set to be about 12 degrees or so.

Australia to run riot in the second half after some opening 40 sparing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

h2005 wrote: »
    Probably childish on my behalf but I hope the Aussies hammer them now.

Get the sentiment for sure, but we can't be going down that road..If only for Sexton, SOB and Murray..Now if there was any way Gatland could lose but the lads win...well that'd be good....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Piliger wrote: »
    ALl in total denial of the beating by Ireland not so long ago.

Sweet suffering jesus, only just got home but I don't know if I really want to read back the other threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Scrumtime: 60/40 in favour of Oz
    Lineouts: 60/40 in favour of Oz
    Breakdown: 75/25 in favour of Oz. Inclusion of Smith combined with the exclusion of Warburton, Heaslip & BOD. Quick ball from Genia up against Phillips to boot.
    Goalkicking: 50/50.

Sexton is capable of steering the Lions better than JOC of Oz but I fear JOC won't need to steer and Oz throwing the ball around at the backs could be lethal.

Not a drop of rain between now and then with the temerature set to be about 12 degrees or so.

Australia to run riot in the second half after some opening 40 sparing.

I think the lineout is weaker than that for the Lions, for that reason alone Gray is on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I am pie wrote: »
    I think the lineout is weaker than that for the Lions, for that reason alone Gray is on the bench.

It's not really. The Lions haven't got great line out ball but they have only lost one throw in two tests. The line out certainly hasn't been fluid at all but they've certainly won the vast majority of their own ball and disrupted a bit of Australian ball too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I think 10 from any 1 country is the joint record. The Welsh owe Gatty big time now, and this may be just enough to get us over the line. If POC wasn't injured I don't think the dropping of BOD would have been as big an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Wyn Jones has been fantastic this tour, must be so proud to be lions captain

Obvo is sh!te how no Brian in squad, that has been discussed to death
    Was great opportunity to revive the Roberts-O'Driscoll partnership of the 09 tour which was very exciting

Also Hibberd over Tom Youngs is a puzzler, youngs was my motm in 1st test

Everywhere seemed to have a feel of Saipan today with O'Driscoll being dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Although Wales have lost on a few occasions to Australia the games have been quite close. And Wales would be a better team with Bowe and Sexton in it.

I think a few people are going a bit over the top about BOD. Defensively, they are weaker at the 13 but they are probably strong offensively (would have liked to have seen Tuilagi in the mix).

Anyone know why Heaslip was dropped. That's been forgotten with BOD out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Rightwing wrote: »
    I think 10 from any 1 country is the joint record. The Welsh owe Gatty big time now, and this may be just enough to get us over the line. If POC wasn't injured I don't think the dropping of BOD would have been as big an issue.

http://www.lionsrugby.com/history/match_archives.php?section=lineups&fixid=58650

Advertisement