Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cymru Lions v Wallabies, 3rd Test Match Thread, Sat July 6, 1100am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

On the brightside we'll still be seeing a lot of O'Driscoll during the match as the camera will be on him everytime Davies moves a muscle. He should contact ROG for advice on maintaining a neutral expression :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    It appears to me (and I would be someone who has never played rugby, but I dont think that I am alone in that on this thread)....

....that he has a system.

His system is crash bang wallop. And a good goal kicker.

He has picked a team around that system.

If he doesnt use this system, then he has no Plan B.

Thats him as a coach.

He was picked as a coach to do this job. If people had a problem with his system, then that was the time to say it. Not the week before the deciding test.

That system was in place long ago, and if Jamie Roberts hadnt been injured, then the likelihood is BOD would not have started the first two tests, and there wouldnt be this hoohaw about the ethos of the Lions.

Spot on, and he was unlucky with a few injuries in the pack. He has reverted to what he knows best for 1 of the biggest games of all their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It appears to me (and I would be someone who has never played rugby, but I dont think that I am alone in that on this thread)....

Thats him as a coach.

He was picked as a coach to do this job. If people had a problem with his system, then that was the time to say it. Not the week before the deciding test.

That system was in place long ago, and if Jamie Roberts hadnt been injured, then the likelihood is BOD would not have started the first two tests, and there wouldnt be this hoohaw about the ethos of the Lions.

Agree with everything except the last line. I reckon he was always going to start BOD in the 1st test. You could tell when he started bubbling wrapping him towards the end of the warm up games.

.. but he probably would've dropped him for the 2nd test once he realized he wouldn't bosh bosh bosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Just curious with the exception of No.13 what team would you pick? There is not a whole lot of arguement for everybody else.

I wouldn't pick Phillips to start or for the bench. Murray has been more like the old Phillips than Phillips is now.

BOD was disappointing in attack in the last game but I think he should have played in the Third Test.

Needless to say, I still support the Lions. And I'd have some sympathy for Lions coaches. They are under massive pressure to win and have to forge a team in very little time. The temptation must be to go with a national framework and throw a few extra stars in.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Doesn't really feel like the night before the biggest test match in twelve years does it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

subfreq wrote: »
    Doesn't really feel like the night before the biggest test match in twelve years does it?

Nope, as far as excitement I'd say it doesnt even match the Pro12 final being perfectly honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Ardillaun wrote: »
    BOD was disappointing in attack in the last game but I think he should have played in the Third Test.

Can you pinpoint when exactly in the last test did the Lions actually try to play positively through the backs? None of the backs looked good going forward because the Lions kicked huge amounts of ball away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Rightwing wrote: »
    The Lions is bigger than any 1 manager or player. I'm for them. But it looks like Quinny's article was spot on after all.

Any link? I have a strange sadistic urge to infuriate myself with his ramblings. I love to hate him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

On the brightside we'll still be seeing a lot of O'Driscoll during the match as the camera will be on him everytime Davies moves a muscle. He should contact ROG for advice on maintaining a neutral expression :)

I'd say he won't be able to avoid that wry grin that comes over him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

TBH Im kinda shocked Sky didnt fly ROG out there just to sit in the stands to keep Jonny on his toes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

For Paws wrote: »
    Many of those who will tune in to tomorrow's final Test will be 'hard core' rugby fans.
    People who have watched the programes that accompany these Tour matches and show previous Lions matches, notable games & performances. To these people I do not have to explain who the following people are ;

McBride, Johnson, JPR, Woods, Edwards, Hastings, O'Gara, Bennett, Calder, Slattery, Williams, Wallace, John, Bentley, Cotton .....and many more.

One name from this tour has earned his place with these men.
    One man from this tour deserves to be spoken of as these men are spoken of.

He will not play tomorrow, or ever again in a red shirt.
    He is a Lion & will always be a Lion.

Gatland is nothing.

o gara lol -I assume that was a joke inclusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

o gara lol -I assume that was a joke inclusion

why assume that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I wouldn't pick Phillips to start or for the bench. Murray has been more like the old Phillips than Phillips is now.

Needless to say, I still support the Lions. And I'd have some sympathy for Lions coaches. They are under massive pressure to win and have to forge a team in very little time. The temptation must be to go with a national framework and throw a few extra stars in.

he had hardly any ball.

I do recall him puting davies onto quality ball, quick hands from davies would have seen whoever was outside him in for the try... what does davies do run straight into contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Thats him as a coach.

That system was in place long ago, and if Jamie Roberts hadnt been injured, then the likelihood is BOD would not have started the first two tests, and there wouldnt be this hoohaw about the ethos of the Lion
    s.

then why bring him in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

duckysauce wrote: »
    why assume that ?

mcbride,johnson,JPR,edwards-not just lions legends but players that would feature highly in all time great player lists.Not quite sure what o gara has done on any lions tour to join that kind of status-he was never even a first choice lion flyhalf. im sure he gave his all but i just wouldnt include him in such illustrious company.

mcbride,johnson,JPR,edwards-not just lions legends but players that would feature highly in all time great player lists.Not quite sure what o gara has done on any lions tour to join that kind of status-he was never even a first choice lion flyhalf. im sure he gave his all but i just wouldnt include him in such illustrious company.

each to their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

It seems ROG is in good company, as according to Gatland, BOD isn't a first choice Lion either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I posted it before but ROG and the Lions never really 'happened' for him. He was beaten senseless without starting a test in 01, had no more than a sub appearance in the disaster that was 05, again in 09 he didn't start a test and when he came off the bench in the 2nd test he had an absolute shocker.

He was unlucky that his career coincided with 10s of the quality of Wilkinson and Jones, but when his Lions career consisted of just a handful of cameos there's no rational argument for including him in a list of Lions legends

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

At this stage it should be all about the Lions, team is selected and while I was disappointed for BOD I want the Lions to win and hopefully have a comprehensive win tomorrow.

G'wan The Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Tox56 wrote: »
    He was unlucky that his career coincided with 10s of the quality of Wilkinson and Jones, but when his Lions career consisted of just a handful of cameos there's no rational argument for including him in a list of Lions legends

Unlucky regarding Jones? I can't think of a time when there wasn't an outhalf in one of the other three nations at least as good as Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Gambas wrote: »
    Unlucky regarding Jones? I can't think of a time when there wasn't an outhalf in one of the other three nations at least as good as Jones.

Ya, Jones was limited, reminds me of ROG in many respects, great kicker, great for the club, but the chap wasn't lions material.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TomLad15

Boom or bust for gatland !

Rightwing wrote: »
    Ya, Jones was limited, reminds me of ROG in many respects, great kicker, great for the club, but the chap wasn't lions material.

same as alot of the pussy's at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Anyone know what cable channels on the East Coast of the States are showing the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Phoeey

I think tomorrow, the only chance the Lions have of winning is if Roberts can deliver on what he's there to do. If he can actually bash his way over the gain line, and the new Lions backrow can protect the ball and ruck efficiently then that will bring Phillips into the game. Phillips is very limited, and his particular set of talents tend to only work when his team is dominating the breakdown and he has momentum. This will bring Sexton into the game as well as taking the ball closer to the gain-line with more of an advantage and intent to attack. If we don't I see little hope, bar bringing Tipuric and Murray on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Jones started 3 Lions test and toured twice............. yet you're saying he's not Lions material? How does that make sense?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would anyone actually prefer a narrow victory in a crappy game over a one point loss in a brilliant match? For me the latter is what the whole concept is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Would anyone actually prefer a narrow victory in a crappy game over a one point loss in a brilliant match? For me the latter is what the whole concept is about.

I definitely want the win but a narrow loss would be horrible, if we are going to lose there are a number of reasons why I hope it is a convincing defeat...not all of them honourable I hasten to add...

Still let's hope the boys do it today as the Lions need this badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Not sure if posted by anyone yet, but ROG drinking game rules will surely apply to BOD for the match.

Im going to have a hangover by 3pm.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Couldnt agree more, Lions is about entertainment and history, about colour and adventure.... Gatlands lions are about.... well exactly what I can't tell.

Aiming for field position for penalties and hoping North does something... anything!

:(

Advertisement