Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welsh Lions: Brian O'Driscoll dropped from the 23 for 3rd Test [MOD NOTE POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Who's Philips? Was that the big lad?

There's plenty big lads in that Lions team! :P

Phillips was the starting scrum-half. He was very poor and Murray was comfortably better when he replaced Phillips. It was a dreadful decision by Gatland to bring Phillips back.

So I can't agree that Gatland got it 'absolutely right'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

There's plenty big lads in that Lions team! :P

Phillips was the starting scrum-half. He was very poor and Murray was comfortably better when he replaced Phillips. It was a dreadful decision by Gatland to bring Phillips back.

So I can't agree that Gatland got it 'absolutely right'.

I'm only pulling your leg, and I take your point. Gatland got it right, but only right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

I'm only pulling your leg, and I take your point. Gatland got it right, but only right.

Getting it right and winning are mutually exclusive though.
    That's the crux of this whole argument and it's something a lot of people don't get.

Gatland won, he got the selection and gameplan mostly right, but that doesn't mean he's vindicated at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Incidentally, is asking that people 'get over it' breaking the Forum Charter?

No, but back seat modding is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

The Lions victory really kick-started a tremendous weekend of success in British and Irish sport, and i'm sure a lot of them drew inspiration from it. And the behaviour and sheer class of BOD this week will surely inspire many for a long time.

Since that win, we've (british and irish) had:

Andy Murray win Wimbledon.

Dan Martin win a stage of Tour de France.

Graeme McDowell winning the golf.

With the exception of McDowell possibly, these events dont come by very often. It's been 77 years since a British winner of Wimbledon, 16 years since the last Lions Series win and 21 years since an Irishman won a stage of the TdF.

For all that to happen in 1 weekend is phenomenal. Just delighted altogether now for BOD and POC to get that deserved series win and hopefully it can further inspire sporting success this summer and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Getting it right and winning are mutually exclusive though.
    That's the crux of this whole argument and it's something a lot of people don't get.

Gatland won, he got the selection and gameplan mostly right, but that doesn't mean he's vindicated at all.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kevtwin

Teferi wrote: »
    You mean the try that Sexton scored which he set up himself?
    indeed!

That will be the try that Sexton picked the ball off the back of the scrum, fed himself, ran a loop around Davies, lost two attackers, fed to Halfpenny the popped up for the return.

Come on please, it doesn't matter if people want to hate Davies until the end of days for playing at 13 in a deciding test but to ignore the fact that Bowe fed Davies who beat two players then fed Halfpenny is a little strange.

Anyone Looking at the highlights and NOT noticing he had a part in that try would need some therapy. If BOD had done that, typical of the man though it might be, I'm guessing that people WOULD have spotted it.

Jonathan Davies had a very good game, he never claimed to be Brian, just did his best, which was bloody good.

Give the kid a break eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kevtwin

Seriously looking forward to the reception the Welsh boys receive at the Aviva in the 6N.

Boo the Welsh players if you must but essentially you will be handing them motivation on top of the motivation they already have. They are very loyal to Gatland (in not at all the same way the Irish players were loyal to Kidney) and I suspect they were playing for their coach to a degree in that test.

I'm looking forward to next year in Dublin because we will be chasing a Grand Slam (again) hopefully. I'm sure Leigh Halfpenny will simply crumble if he gets booed before a kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Lions victory really kick-started a tremendous weekend of success in British and Irish sport, and i'm sure a lot of them drew inspiration from it. And the behaviour and sheer class of BOD this week will surely inspire many for a long time.

Since that win, we've (british and irish) had:

Andy Murray win Wimbledon.

Dan Martin win a stage of Tour de France.

Graeme McDowell winning the golf.

With the exception of McDowell possibly, these events dont come by very often. It's been 77 years since a British winner of Wimbledon, 16 years since the last Lions Series win and 21 years since an Irishman won a stage of the TdF.

For all that to happen in 1 weekend is phenomenal. Just delighted altogether now for BOD and POC to get that deserved series win and hopefully it can further inspire sporting success this summer and beyond.

Yep, been a cracking weekend.

And the Ashes to come...about the only time in sport full stop where I support England!...and they do have two Irishmen in their panel in Eoin Morgan and Boyd Rankin even if they are unlikely to play in the Ashes series.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

kevtwin wrote: »
    Boo the Welsh players if you must but essentially you will be handing them motivation on top of the motivation they already have. They are very loyal to Gatland (in not at all the same way the Irish players were loyal to Kidney) and I suspect they were playing for their coach to a degree in that test.

I'm looking forward to next year in Dublin because we will be chasing a Grand Slam (again) hopefully. I'm sure Leigh Halfpenny will simply crumble if he gets booed before a kick.

There will be no booing of any Welsh player, and certainly not Halfpenny. He has near made himself a legend of the game.

Not one poster here is against the Welsh players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm looking forward to next year in Dublin because we will be chasing a Grand Slam (again) hopefully.

It's the second game of the Championship in 2014 so probably a bit early to be thinking Grand Slams.

Do you think Patchell will get capped next season, if there is one thing the Welsh lack at the moment it's a top class 10.

Also Halfpenny is a hero, why would the Irish be booing him?

Nobody mentioned booing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Politicians call for Lions coach Warren Gatland's knighthood

:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23218013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Burgo wrote: »

Politicians engaging in populism, colour me shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

wales have serious momentum for next season...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Gatland was appointed the man to boss the lions little escapade. He achieved success in his mission, and should be thanked for his efforts and skill. The nasty comments and degrading remarks about Gatlands choices, are little short of bitch fighting, no one is entitled to his place in the team just because it his last chance. If that was the case we would have guys in zimmer frames and walking aids looking for their places in young mans sports events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭abff

Gatland was appointed the man to boss the lions little escapade. He achieved success in his mission, and should be thanked for his efforts and skill. The nasty comments and degrading remarks about Gatlands choices, are little short of bitch fighting, no one is entitled to his place in the team just because it his last chance. If that was the case we would have guys in zimmer frames and walking aids looking for their places in young mans sports events.

If you read through the various posts in this thread, you will find that the great majority of posts that disagreed with dropping BOD were based on how he played compared to JD in the previous tests and what he had to offer in terms of experience and big game temperament.

To suggest otherwise is insulting to BOD and to the majority of pro BOD posters on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I'll admit i was very vocal against his dropping but i did have a little chuckle/major LOL at some of the comments at the end of the game.

mainly the one where some guy said "Jeez risky move by Amy handing him the baby, has she not seen how many balls he's fumbled this tour". :pac:

Also Scott Quinnell - please man there is a line between being friendly and nauseatingly creepy and you crossed it with your man-love interview with BOD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'll admit i was very vocal against his dropping but i did have a little chuckle/major LOL at some of the comments at the end of the game.

mainly the one where some guy said "Jeez risky move by Amy handing him the baby, has she not seen how many balls he's fumbled this tour". :pac:

Also Scott Quinnell - please man there is a line between being friendly and nauseatingly creepy and you crossed it with your man-love interview with BOD!

Couldn't disagree with you more, I thought the interview hit just the right note.

Couldn't disagree with you more, I thought the interview hit just the right note.

until the head bumping thing at the end!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Lelantos wrote: »

Yes, great to watch, probably infuriating to have as your pivot though. He can either be 9/10 or 4/10, very rarely in between!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

sq.png

Brian's face is priceless.

The look on BOD face is gas. He wasn't expecting it. So cringey. Must be a forwards thing. :D

Actually, wait, I take it back!

The look on Scott's face is a sight to behold. It's a man crush if I ever saw one.

/Jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I missed that interview with BOD - Anyone know if I could catch it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

He even goes back for a hug once Sadie is handed back :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Ha the head bump was a bit weird. The whole interview was a bit odd

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Ha the head bump was a bit weird. The whole interview was a bit odd

Yeah, it felt a bit like... 'Ah you got dropped, but no hard feelings, don't blame me cuz I'm Welsh! p.s: I love you.'.

Advertisement