Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welsh Lions: Brian O'Driscoll dropped from the 23 for 3rd Test [MOD NOTE POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Well I haven't changed my mind one iota. It was a battle between two almost equally miserable coaches (plus some very talented players) and the least bad coach won. If the Aussies had a different kicker on in the 1st test today's result wouldn't have mattered.

I was delighted to see Jonny Sexton score his try, and Conor Murray outshining Philips, but apart from that.........I left the pub 10 minutes before the game ended...only the second time in about ten years. The singing of 'Bread of Heaven' throughout the game really irked me and the next time Wales wish to tour Australia can they please do it under their own flag. BTW I'm in a good mood. :D

Was the first one in May 2009 by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So you decided to hop on your high horse and roll over to say that?

What is embarrassing about saying BOD should have started btw?

When did I say that was embarrassing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Gatland has been vindicated as a great coach today, no doubt, and he might just be the most accomplished rugby coach without a world cup, but that does not equal being vindicated in dropping BOD. You have to say based on the first 2 tests he should be ahead of Davies, but it makes you think Roberts and Davies were the 2 he had in his head before the tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

When did I say that was embarrassing?

well you said it was an embarrassing result, in what sense?

btw, I love the way you only turn up here to have potshot at Irish rugby fans or the forum in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

well you said it was an embarrassing result, in what sense?

btw, I love the way you only turn up here to have potshot at Irish rugby fans or the forum in general

For the people who suddenly wanted the Lions to lose because BOD was dropped. I came here to congratulate Gatland on winning the series. His team did it in style in the last game when it counted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Who should have started where become small irrelevant details when a team wins. If they lost those decisions are more closely scrutinized. It's the nature of team sports. No matter how well Jonathan Davies played, there would still be some dissenters complaining about the dropping of BOD. This shows how biased and blinkered they are and in my opinion, renders their opinion moot.

The win is the most important thing bar none, especially since it only comes around once every four years and is not an on-going league season. If it was then the managers decisions could and should be questioned more closely.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For the people who suddenly wanted the Lions to lose because BOD was dropped. I came here to congratulate Gatland on winning the series. His team did it in style in the last game when it counted.

Warren says thanks Chucky the tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Don't think he reads boards often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

I came here to congratulate Gatland on winning the series.

I'd say he'll see it alright.

Gatland would be vindicated if Davies had a cracking game or proved pivotal. He didn't, so the result can't vindicate him on it. It was still the wrong call.

Gatland doesn't give a toss about being vindicated over picking BOD or not - he won the series - that's it. Let's let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Was the first one in May 2009 by any chance?

You've got me there as I can barely remember what happened last week I watch so many games - but it was towards the end of a particularly bad Munster performance - but not against Leinster. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Incidentally, I wonder how this Lions team (or any other) would do against a real SH selection as is being proposed. http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/8874435/Bill-Pulver-proposes-Sanzar-Lions-for-2015

As Rugby Union is seriously waning in popularity in Australia perhaps the Lions need some equal opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

glasso wrote: »
    Gatland doesn't give a toss about being vindicated over picking BOD or not - he won the series - that's it. Let's let it go.
    Exactly. Full credit and congrats to him and his team for a magnificent win today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Nice interview by BOD after the game today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭twinytwo

matthew8 wrote: »
    Gatland has been vindicated as a great coach today, no doubt, and he might just be the most accomplished rugby coach without a world cup, but that does not equal being vindicated in dropping BOD. You have to say based on the first 2 tests he should be ahead of Davies, but it makes you think Roberts and Davies were the 2 he had in his head before the tour.

Really? given the players available to him, he more or less picked the same team as most other people would have done.

was it his tactics that won the gome?... no it was mainly down to a certain english man destroying the aussie scrum.

does this make him a great coach?... i dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭nc6000

twinytwo wrote: »
    Really? given the players available to him, he more or less picked the same team as most other people would have done.

was it his tactics that won the gome?... no it was mainly down to a certain english man destroying the aussie scrum.

does this make him a great coach?... i dont think so.

A certain Englishman who was fourth choice also and not even in the original squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I heard Eddie O'Sullivan on this on RTE Radio. He said Gatland still made the wrong decision re the dropping of O'Driscoll along with other things, but he got away with it because Australia were fairly beatable.

O'Sullivan made the point that it took the last half of the 3 tests for the Lions on this occasion to beat a relatively ordinary Australia side. I tend to agree with O'Sullivan. They made hard work of it, but got there in the end without much style. If this was an All Blacks tour, Gatland's ultra conservative and parochial approach would have failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,039 ✭✭✭✭phog

Lennonist wrote: »
    I heard Eddie O'Sullivan on this on RTE Radio. He said Gatland still made the wrong decision re the dropping of O'Driscoll along with other things, but he got away with it because Australia were fairly beatable.

O'Sullivan made the point that it took the last half of the 3 tests for the Lions on this occasion to beat a relatively ordinary Australia side. I tend to agree with O'Sullivan. They made hard work of it, but got there in the end without much style. If this was an All Blacks tour, Gatland's ultra conservative and parochial approach would have failed.

Or Gatland may have had a different game plan or squad for the ABs or SA.

I agree I certainly thought the series should have been won by the 2nd test but you can't argue with the result today. Comprehensive win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭leakyboots

.ak wrote: »
    The opposition can't make handling skills look better than they are.

Poor defending may make attackers look better, but that's another story.

Anyway, regardless, I still very much enjoyed the warm up games. At least they tried to play rugby.

The tests have been poison

Ah here, come out of the fog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

leakyboots wrote: »
    Ah here, come out of the fog

If England and South Africa played against each other 3 times and the games went exactly as the Lions tests, everyone would be saying how bad and negative the games were. When you get up for a game of rugby as long as it's close it always seems like a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Steady on, the first test had some off the best individual tries I can remember for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I wouldn't clasify the tests as poison. They weren't a scratch on the 09 tests, but they were still very enjoyable. Some really beautiful tries and memorable moments, and at times some gorgeous rugby. The standard of play and display of skills was certainly lacking. But I think if the first and third test were between South Africa and England I still would have enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Steady on, the first test had some off the best individual tries I can remember for a long time.

Yeah but what happened for the other 79 minutes and 30 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

finally a season break - then we can get on with real International rugby - looking positive for both Wales and Ireland.

ps well done Gatland and the Lions , but I'm much more excited about seeing Ireland under Schmidt in the autumn, that a historical team from a different era

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Warren Gatland's face for the Jamie Roberts try is priceless.

Also, Kurtley Beale was a little bit of a brat wasn't he? His shoulder on Sexton after the try and then it looked to me like he shouts an insult at the ref as he's blowing the final whistle imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I only spotted that when I watched the highlights, but after Beales shove after the try there was a hint that Tommy Bowe subsequently shoved Beale. It was only one camera angle and then it switched to Sexton who appeared to see some kind of scuffle and he started to head back to the in goal area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

he won the series so he deserves credit but it was far from a great job by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MBolgia

JagerScout wrote: »
    he won the series so he deserves credit but it was far from a great job by him.

Got to agree with this; he almost seemed to win the series despite his selections and game plan. I don't think it's fair to say that Australia gave the Lions the victory (although if Beale hadn't slipped the series would have been
    lost a week ago), but despite Gatland's poor squad selection in key areas, his poor handling of the squad and the team and so on, he won.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gatland "taken aback" by the "vitriolic" reaction to his selection.

It's been "a very tough 72 hours, personally"

Well done planet Earth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Fair play to Gatland, him and his team won the series - he gambled big and he won big....

......but that doesn't make him a great coach. To paraphrase Yoda.....

"Wars do not make one great" :D

He came up with a system, found the beefy players to execute it ruthlessly and deservedly won, but I hope this is not the future of the game - hopefully someone will come up with a better way to play that moves the game on and negates this 'style.'

Advertisement